Mary Mary's new video-GOD IN ME. Too worldly?

Is this song too WORLDLY?

• It's lifting up God with an upbeat sound. All good to me!

Votes: 49 56.3%
  • No. We aren't to follow this world. Throwing "God" in it doesn't make it right!

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

BeautifulFlower

Preach Shimmie Preach
:amen:
Not like a street munchkin begging for attention.

Proverbs 31 says it all. It wasn't her exposure of her bosom that gave her virtue, it was her character.

Ce-Ce Winans is a perfect example of humility and Christianity in public ministry. She brings the attention where it belongs, which is upon God in worship, honor and praise.

It's a lie to think that we have to compromise virtue to gather those lost in the world. What this type of dress says to the young and lost is that, you don't have to change a thing. Stay the way you are. Keep your tat's and your cracks with your low rider jeans, keep showing your belly and by all means let the boobs hang out to play.

There's a dress code for Ministry which is indeed Ministry. :yep: It's not rocket science. Even sinners know the difference.

God has blessed me and He has allowed me to be beautifully endowed, but it's for my husband to see. And just because someone disagrees doesn't make it any less right. When men and women are in Ministry, they are to present themselves as such and not less.

How is a man supposed to focus on Jesus when a huge pair of boobs are jumping up in his face? Or a shaking booty. It's no different than the club. He's not going to take Jesus seriously. It's one of the reasons, these men do come to Church and think they can still have sex outside of marriage with the 'Church' sisters. Afterall, they don't look nor act any different than what they have in the clubs. The jumping and the bumping are all the same. Jesus is just a label to them, not a broken spirit nor a contrite heart, which is what God desires and requires.

These men are not planted by the waters but by lust of the eye and it's not a game. This Jesus message becomes lost to them. The same applies to these Christian men who dress with the tight jeans, open shirts, and so on. The girls looking at them are not into receiving Jesus so much as they are looking to be scored by one of them.

And before anyone jumps in to share about a big mass of hearts that come to the Altar for salvation. The question is , "How many stay there and to what measure have they surrendered their all to Jesus?".

Our clothing does make a difference. There's a time and a place for everything. When one is 'Ministering', than the dress code calls for such.

I understand women who wish to look attractive, and I also understand a casual relaxed dress code, I'm one of them, but there is a standard that needs to be honored in the name of Ministry. When I 'm ministering, I'm not out in my Dance class leotards or tight capris. There's a place for that in my class, but it's not in public Ministry.

Mary Mary are not built to wear the expose' of their excessive cleavage. Even my children know that. Folks aren't dumb. They know. Even the folks in Church who 'object' to what I'm saying know this. It's just plain common sense, that's all.

Blessings....

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I don'y feel like I am missing out on anything. I'm learning each and everyday to forget my flesh and just follow Christ.

I have family members that chastise me to this day because they just don't get why they as Christians can't go to clubs, booty shake, "drank", and carry on like everybody else.

"Christians" can do what they please, but I know that God has set me apart from that when I was saved by the blood of Jesus Christ :yep:. My convictions are just that........MINE!!!!

............let me go humble myself Shimmie. You got me all worked up. :grin:
I'm going to humble right along with you, pretty lady :Rose: :yep:

There's a lot that I thought I wanted to do, but I just don't want it.

I look at my friends who are still in the world, and they are sad as can be. They've tated about as much of their skin as they can (each tatoo to get an 'ooo' from a guy to notice a body part that he hasn't paid attention to before). You know what? Even in the Dance community, I have to wonder, just how much more will these Dancers take off, just to compete for attention. I mean, come on, let him discover your beauty God's way.

I dunno... :nono:

We were saved by Grace; Jesus literally 'rescued' us from the disaster of the world and it's ways, why go back or hang onto to it? Christians are naked, we've been clothed in His righteousness, His garments of praise, and all of His splendor of love and honor and grace.

There's a Native American prayer that I love and these words touch my heart.

Oh Great Spirit,

Let me walk in beauty...

It means to walk in pureness, the beauty of the Lord.

Each day, I pray, Holy Spirit, let me walk in beauty that honors you.

When I Dance, let me be graceful, flowing, mellow, soft, peaceful, giving honor to you. Fully covered, God always allows me to float as an angel or sway softly as lillies in the field.

Holy Spirit, Let me walk in beauty....

In Jesus' Name, Amen :Rose:

Mrs.TheBronx

Dont think the video matches with the words either. :( (it was a lil disappointing) Only because i thought it would have had a different concept.. the video is not a bad one minus some of the folks in it, but i saw no breast jumping around etc. maybe i missed that part

Last edited:

divya

Good for you! :clapping: This is the Gospel Truth, Hurricane. And you just 'blew' the devil away with it, too, with his lying self.

I was just talking to my daughter about this topic of discussion and she said exactly what you shared above. "Too much us and not enough Him." And she also shared how there are some people who get upset when corrected, because they don't want to change or feel convicted.

You're so right about protocol and the Queen. My Pastor tells us all the time, that if we can give honor to those in authority here on earth, how much more should we then give unto the Lord? For He is MORE than Worthy to be honored and praised. Praise Him! Bless the name of Jesus!

The world laughs at us. They think we feel that we are 'missing' something in our faith and that we come to the world for completion.

A guy told me once that he didn't see much point in coming to Church because it wasn't much different than what he was seeing in the clubs. Men want to respect women and they 'do' respect women who show respect for themselves.

We don't needs boobs and butts as 'fish bait' for Jesus. It's by His Spirit, which will draw them, saith the Lord.

:grouphug2:

That's it right there! :yep:

pearlygurl

I love the song and I love the video. From all the talk here I was expecting to see something much worse. I actually didn't find any of the clothes in the video inappropriate or not age appropriate. But if you do that's fine. I'm not here to try to change your mind.

"Too worldly" will forever be an ongoing debate between Christians. Is the beat of the song influenced by today's sound? Of course! John P. Kee's music was heavily influenced by "wordly" music (and he got flack over it) because he used to play for certain secular bands. Now his sound is considered a "standard" sound in gospel music.

We really don't know how many people these artists have reached and what lives they've changed. I don't think that just because something sounds/looks a certain way negates it's ability to be an effective witnessing tool. Mary Mary's sound is geared (but not limited to) a certain audience. Just like artists like Alvin Slaughter, Hillsong, or BarlowGirl (Christian Rock) will reach a certain audience. As long as the message is there I'm good. If you don't find it appealing, that's your preference.

Oh yeah...wasn't that Israel Houghton in the video at the end? :grin:

Samory07

I actually love the song but the video...not so much :nono:. I did feel as though it was inappropriate to have Kanye West and his girlfriend in there. I saw this because Kanye does say that he is a Christian and he is a very talented artist but his lyrics and the language he uses doesn't glorify God, IMHO. Also is his girlfriend is bisexual like someone else has pointed out then no she should not be in the video either because God does not approve of that lifestyle.

I felt as though they might of been trying to hard with this video. I think they should of stuck with the lyrics and made it something that got the message of the song across. When I get this CD I was a little apprehensive because I knew that they had a song with David Banner....that in my opinion has slightly questionable lyrics and to me Mary Mary has been somewhat been on the fence to me for a while. So I was not sure what to expect from this cd, but I must say that it was better than I thought, they just to make sure that God is being glorified in everything they do.

BeautifulFlower

Not regards to the video but in general:

Your appearance is apart of your witnessing tools. People you witness to need to see as well as hear that there's a difference between the world and God's family. If they see no difference they will believe, "I can be a "Christian" and never change a thing."

The reason that the "too worldy" argument is because its so so true and its a threat to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Sure Christan can nit-pic at issues that dont matter. However, Christianity is moving steadily toward a level of tolerance thats contrary to God. If you make compromises in the little things you give place to the devil for bigger things. More and more Christians are welcoming all kinds of mess into the church, taking scripture out of context to back it up, and leading many astray. Paul Washer made this comment, "American Christianity is a joke." He's right. We are to be holy, sanctified, set apart, pure, born-again in love.

Last edited:

inthepink

I love the song and I love the video. From all the talk here I was expecting to see something much worse. I actually didn't find any of the clothes in the video inappropriate or not age appropriate. But if you do that's fine. I'm not here to try to change your mind.

I was thinking the same but then I realized that the thread was just talking about clothing/clubbing in general. (at least I think! :look:)

Aviah

All I know is... God is NOT in everything everyone does...
IMHO it hits right in the middle about what it represents, not fully one or the other...
And I'm not old at all... Just 20
Our discussions will not take the video off air, thought I understand the points made
Hey those who like it, listen to it, but listen harder to the spirit. Those who don't, leave it.

MrsQueeny

We now have Christians who want to express their individuality with the way they dress, look, and sound. I don't like it. When you are ministering you should decrease and God should increase. Too much us and not enough Him. People become upset when corrected because this is " their " style. ( Arrogance/Pride).

When you meet Queen Elizabeth there is certain protocol because you are in the presene of royalty ( here on earth ). Why should the Father be any different?

Confirmation, Confirmation, Confirmation!!!
We have been discussing the Tabernacle in bible study. Last night one of the things my Pastor said was it showed us that we can't come to God any old way. Everything about it's construction, to how it was to be entered and maintained was very precise. Why would God build a place of worship here on earth when He had one in Heaven? Because He wanted to show us how to act when we get to His house in Heaven. When it comes to God, it's not about you, it's about Him. He is God all by himself, we just need to fall in line and be who HE called us to be, not who we think we should be!!! I advise everyone to do their own study about it because it's amazing. Thank you for your post!!! Q

saved06

I don't think Kanye and secular people should have been in the video. I don't get this "we got to reach the youth by any means necessary" agenda. When I came to God it wasn't because of hip hop beats and artist. The holy spirit is what reached me. And too many songs are about self. I am really concerned. Because if God was really in you, you would know...

Ephesians 5:11 (English Standard Version)
11 Take no part in the unfruitful, works of darkness, but instead,expose them.

What does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul....

saved06

This comment was posted under the video:

"This video is an abomination to our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ, those worldy things do not reflect the God in you. Repentence killin sin trusting in God, holiness, godliness is what reflect the God in someone. Mary Mary should really examine the music they make. I did not even hear Christ name mentioned in that video nothing about the repentence or the cross of christ. Lets just pray for them that God grants them repentance, as well as all those celebrities on that video as well."

BeautifulFlower

You know the gospel CD that has made the most change in my walk is by a Gospel rap artist, LeCrae. His Rebel CD is the truth. And i dont like rap music so I was surprised I like his CD so much. I used to hate listening to some gospel bcause it was so surface. LeCrae uses urban beats but the lyrics are 100% authentic. Its not about what I got but what God has done in him. He has a song about Jesus dying for the church, temptation, being set apart, missionary work overseas, etc...Real stuff but this prosperity surface music.

I say this because its ok to contextualize the Gospel (meaning using cultural standards to spread the gospel). Examples are using Youtube, social networking, podcast, TV, internet, new sounds, etc to reach others. But we have to be careful not to taint the Gospel.

Though, I like the song this is my problem with it. Christianity has been known to be the prosperity religion. Get saved, get a car. Get saved, get a house. Get saved, fix your marriege. Though these are the perks, that not what Christianity is about. Its about a relationship with God that keeps you from his wrath. Its all about him. This song (if your not careful) will give you the impression that the God in me makes me fly, driving a nice car, having monet. God is not a slot machine.

divya

You know the gospel CD that has made the most change in my walk is by a Gospel rap artist, LeCrae. His Rebel CD is the truth. And i dont like rap music so I was surprised I like his CD so much. I used to hate listening to some gospel bcause it was so surface. LeCrae uses urban beats but the lyrics are 100% authentic. Its not about what I got but what God has done in him. He has a song about Jesus dying for the church, temptation, being set apart, missionary work overseas, etc...Real stuff but this prosperity surface music.

I say this because its ok to contextualize the Gospel (meaning using cultural standards to spread the gospel). Examples are using Youtube, social networking, podcast, TV, internet, new sounds, etc to reach others. But we have to be careful not to taint the Gospel.

Though, I like the song this is my problem with it. Christianity has been known to be the prosperity religion. Get saved, get a car. Get saved, get a house. Get saved, fix your marriege. Though these are the perks, that not what Christianity is about. Its about a relationship with God that keeps you from his wrath. Its all about him. This song (if your not careful) will give you the impression that the God in me makes me fly, driving a nice car, having monet. God is not a slot machine.

So true. If that's all a person believes, how will they be able to stand if they go through persecution/trials/tribulation? Will they believe that God is not there because don't have material things? During the Dark Ages, Christians were horribly persecuted for standing up for what is right. People were burning to death at the stake and singing praises to the Lord. Does the prosperity message understand serving God through good and bad?

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Honestly, I didnt think the video was that bad. Where were they dressed inappropriately where their boobs were showing? Missed that. They could have done without some of the celebs in the video and OMG Kiki needs lap band surgery, but I think they were dressed according to the concept of the video. *shrugs*

Mrs.TheBronx

LOVE LECRAE by the way.. :)

Mrs.TheBronx

Honestly, I didnt think the video was that bad. Where were they dressed inappropriately where their boobs were showing? Missed that. They could have done without some of the celebs in the video and OMG Kiki needs lap band surgery, but I think they were dressed according to the concept of the video. *shrugs*

WOW... that's the last thing that was inappropriate in the video! LOL *shaking head*

Shimmie

Staff member

"Too worldly" will forever be an ongoing debate between Christians. Is the beat of the song influenced by today's sound? Of course! John P. Kee's music was heavily influenced by "wordly" music (and he got flack over it) because he used to play for certain secular bands. Now his sound is considered a "standard" sound in gospel music.

We really don't know how many people these artists have reached and what lives they've changed. I don't think that just because something sounds/looks a certain way negates it's ability to be an effective witnessing tool.

Mary Mary's sound is geared (but not limited to) a certain audience.

Just like artists like Alvin Slaughter, Hillsong, or BarlowGirl (Christian Rock) will reach a certain audience. As long as the message is there I'm good. If you don't find it appealing, that's your preference.

Oh yeah...wasn't that Israel Houghton in the video at the end? :grin:
This is where we have to be all the more careful. For every 'seed' produces after its own kind.

There still has to be a 'standard' of decency whether we are Christian or non-Christian. Even in a professional office environment, one would not expose their cleavage as such. They can still reach the masses, but they need to still represent a standard in dress and not look like a hot mess. Be an example to the young ladies who follow them, by not showing excessive flesh; otherwise, what's the point?

As for Isreal Houghton, no matter who was in the video, it was still indecent exposure, clothing wise. Mary Mary has been distastefully dressed even on TV ministries and as Church guests. A few years ago they were guests at the West Angeles Church of God (Pastor Charles Blake). Top too tight skirt didn't fit right. It was horrible. :nono: Straight from the street. They have more than enough money to buy descent clothing for Ministry.

Even Yolanda Adams has begun to 'over-show' and singing about Jesus doesn't cover it. Not one bit. :nono::nono::nono:

The problem is that folks have become de-sensatized and they no longer 'see' what's wrong with wrong. :nono:

Shimmie

Staff member

Though, I like the song this is my problem with it. Christianity has been known to be the prosperity religion. Get saved, get a car. Get saved, get a house. Get saved, fix your marriege. Though these are the perks, that not what Christianity is about. Its about a relationship with God that keeps you from his wrath. Its all about him. This song (if your not careful) will give you the impression that the God in me makes me fly, driving a nice car, having monet.

God is not a slot machine.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :clapping: :clapping:

:amen:

Shimmie

Staff member
I don't think Kanye and secular people should have been in the video. I don't get this "we got to reach the youth by any means necessary" agenda. When I came to God it wasn't because of hip hop beats and artist. The holy spirit is what reached me. And too many songs are about self. I am really concerned. Because if God was really in you, you would know...

Ephesians 5:11 (English Standard Version)
11 Take no part in the unfruitful, works of darkness, but instead,expose them.

What does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul....

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Shimmie

Staff member
We have been discussing the Tabernacle in bible study. Last night one of the things my Pastor said was it showed us that we can't come to God any old way. Everything about it's construction, to how it was to be entered and maintained was very precise. Why would God build a place of worship here on earth when He had one in Heaven? Because He wanted to show us how to act when we get to His house in Heaven. When it comes to God, it's not about you, it's about Him. He is God all by himself, we just need to fall in line and be who HE called us to be, not who we think we should be!!! I advise everyone to do their own study about it because it's amazing. Thank you for your post!!! Q

:thankyou:

When we were growing up, we did not wear pants to Church. My parents always had special clothing set aside that was for Church ONLY!

We were taught to look and give our best when we enter into the House of God for worship.

I will admit that I have worn pantsuits to Church, and even jogging sets or jeans to some of our Women's Activities, but it was only when Pastor shared that it was appropriate to do so. Even then, it was in order, because it wasn't tight and hugging my butt or boobs.

dicapr

The video was bad. However, I like their CD. I am someone who has never really liked traditional gospel music and can only take it in small doses. Add a choir and I am ready to slit my wrists. This is the type of music I prefer to listen to. As a christian who tries to stay away from things that bring down my spirituality, I didn't recognize most of the celebraties in the video. I also did not recognize the "club" vibe of the song because I am not out clubbing. I can appreciate the lyrics but was oblivious to the fact of who exactly Kanye's girlfriend is in the video and did not know until reading the thread that she was bi. My question is that if we as chrisitians know and recognize all these things whose fault is it? It can't remind you of the world if you aren't still out there checking in to see how the old gang is doing.

BeautifulFlower

I understand your point however.

Christianity doesnt and shouldnt put you in a bubble. Knowing whats going on is vital to being an effective witness. Especially if your trying to educate the "baby" christian and the unsaved youth that think certain things are cool to do.

I am beginning to work with young girls. The best way to teach them about the stories in the bible is to apply it to something that is culturally familiar to them. We use their music, their clothes, the boys they like, their slang...etc. Most think the bible is just a bunch of laws for old folk but its so revelant and we have to teach them how revelant until they get it themselves.

Its a delicate balance of research vs. not becoming just like the world which requires prayer and wisdom.

However I know there are some thing I dont engage in because I know I am not spiritually strong enough to handle it.

The video was bad. However, I like their CD. I am someone who has never really liked traditional gospel music and can only take it in small doses. Add a choir and I am ready to slit my wrists. This is the type of music I prefer to listen to. As a christian who tries to stay away from things that bring down my spirituality, I didn't recognize most of the celebraties in the video. I also did not recognize the "club" vibe of the song because I am not out clubbing. I can appreciate the lyrics but was oblivious to the fact of who exactly Kanye's girlfriend is in the video and did not know until reading the thread that she was bi. My question is that if we as chrisitians know and recognize all these things whose fault is it? It can't remind you of the world if you aren't still out there checking in to see how the old gang is doing.

Last edited:

Mrs.TheBronx

Even though we LIVE in the world, we dont have to be OF the world, BUT be very careful not to get sooo puffed up, and so judgemental that we become useless to the world, went we are so holy that we cannot reach "worldly" people by being judgemental. Jesus sat down with everyone, and never judged.. we must be careful!!!!! He preached the truth and left you with a decision to make. Lets not get so puffed up that we miss out purpose which is to save lives, build the kingdom and be warriors for Christ. :) Everything we do there is a way to go about it. Slandering Mary Mary for the choices that they make is not acceptable either. Pray for em' and move on. :)

Glib Gurl

Re: the video - Uh, what that got to do with Jesus? :look:

I am actually very disappointed because I *love* this song and I thought the video would be feature a character going through life with all of the material trappings but then showing how they also pray, give charitably, attend church, etc. THAT, to me, is the heart of the song - that the blessing come from the Lord. The fashion show concept is just played out to me, period.

I am another one who agrees that Mary Mary needs to act they age - especially Tina with them glasses :nono:

Nice try, but from both an entertainment and a spiritual perspective, I have to give them a FAIL.

hurricane

Yes, Yes, Yes. The Father called us out of the world but we are still trying to hold on by any means necessary. When God released his children from Egypt, and Moses was out of sight. The children reverted back to their " old Nature". Same here we want to be like everyone else but God has something greater in minded.

Abraham is an excellent example. His very own father served idol gods but when Abraham heard the voice of God he abandoned it all and worship the True and Living God.

meka

Maybe Im missing it but I dont see where they were "overexposed". If you don't like the beat...then don't listen. I love Mary Mary and their music doesn't make me wanna drop it like its hot. It's about the lyrics. If people can't keep their minds stayed on Christ and listen to the message of the song, then who is at fault? Everybody is not going to like everything. It's all about whether God is pleased with it. And since none of us are God, then......it's just our opinion.