Mixed Hair Type Ladies (3b/4a/4b) and Uneven Hair

bhndbrwneyes

I know most of us have a mixture of 2 or more hair types. I personally have mostly 3b with sections of 4a and 4b.

My go-to styles are WNGs, braid-outs and twist-outs but no matter what I do (what style, what product(s), etc) I always have the problem of my 4b section experiencing super shrinkage. Makes sense because the curls are much tighter.

But now I'm scared to trim the remaining of my relaxed/texlaxed ends because those sections are going to appear very short and my haircut will be uneven. Do you have any recommendations for either stretching this section of hair out or tightening my looser curls? Should I trim my hair so that it's even while completely stretched or while it's in its shrunken state? With my go-to styles there is about a 4 inch difference from the sides of my hair to the back. Do you ladies not even worry about uneven hair?

bronzephoenix

It depends on what you want to deal with... My curl pattern is tighter in the back, looser on top. I had natural layers but decided I wanted a blunt cut in the back. Welllll... I didn't realize that when my hair curled up, it would give the illusion of an a-line bob. Curly a-lines are cute on others, but not the look i was going for. I prefer the lion's mane look. NOW trimming to get my layers back will interrupt my length/thickness & I'm not ready to do that just yet. So I'm stuck until I accept that I can't have my cake & eat it too.

Would you rather deal with two textures or have a bob?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ckisland

I got a 3cish/4a/4b thing going on, and at this point I just act like the 4b sections (around my ears and my edges :ohwell:) don't exist. Not only does it shrink like crazy, and, more times than not, mess up how my hair lays, it's also fragile as crap. It's stayed a good 5 or more inches shorter than the top/front of my hair most of my journey. I used to baby it, detangle this section super gently, and even had to apply product to it differently because it won't absorb anything unless soaking wet. I'm sooooo over worrying about it. This heifer ain't going to catch up and act right, so I stopped treating it like it's special.

My wack patch is fortunately in an area you don't really notice, and with stretched styles it's covered by my crown. My 4a section in the back is also shorter than the looser top and front, but my hair just looks layered. Unless you wear your hair straight, I don't think most naturals worry about perfectly even hair :rolleyes:.