Name Your Low Porosity Hair Staples!

Blairx0

I think honey and evoo work well to enhance conditoners, but I havenr tried them alone. Not recently enough to really remember. I mix them in my yogurt weekly and love the results.

faithVA

Hairveda products are working nicely for me. The Cocosta Shikakai oil is very nice. I also have the Methi conditioner set and that left my hair feeling nice as well. I have a few more of her products to try and can't wait.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Cleansing rotation (every other weekend):
Sodium Bentonite Clay, ACV, and honey is killa conditioning.
Cush Cosmetics Mango Shampoo Bar makes my hair feel like it will absorb anything.

GGsKin

My hair is natural (type 4) and as far as cleansers go, clay mixes are now a staple for me- at least rhassoul and bentonite clays. With regular use, over time I believe they've helped to regulate the way my hair absorbs water and products.

Ouidad Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil Shampoo is great for when I think clay won't be enough. I've used this diluted and undiluted with great effect and it doesn't over strip my hair.
The old formula of CON Argan Oil Shampoo was good to me too.

Protein: Mill Creek Organics Jojoba Conditioner. Silk amino acids (my hair loves). I know my low po hair likes hydrolyzed keratin so I'm not tempted to dabble with many other protein(s) out of fear of the dreaded overload.

I don't use conditioner for moisture much but when I do they tend to be diluted with warm water (from shower filter) and/or heated. It was a revelation to me that a good conditioner didn't have to be thick, creamy and luscious to work on my hair.
KCKT, Faith In Nature conditioners (without glycerin), SM Purification Masque (old packaging)- even though this has kaolin clay in it, it doesn't get my hair feeling clean like my clay mix so I use it like a DC.

Oils: Grapeseed (by far my favourite oil for hair and skin to date), wheatgerm, sunflower are all staples. I dabble with a few others.

Gels: I love KCCC, heavily diluted with water and a drop of ACV. Diluting it seems to be the way for me to avoid flakes. As I Am Curling Custard is good (gives a bit more volume and a slightly softer gel cast than KCCC).

I think that's it so far:look:.

AgeinATL

Gotta update my list! Now that I am done transitioning, I have some new staples for my LP hair:

Shampoo:
Shea Moisture's Manuka Honey Shampoo (it will do until I find something better)
Shea Moisture's JBCO Shampoo (for clarifying)

Co-cleansers:
Shea Moisture's Purification Mask
As I Am Coconut Cowash

Deep Conditioners:
Bee Mine Bee-u-ti-ful DC (looking for something a bit more moisturizing, but it is petty good for now)
Bekura/BASK Vanilla Whiskey Hair Soak
*Looking for a good moisturizing DC with no protein.

Protein Treatment:
Shescentit Okra Reconstructor

Leave-in:
Soultanicals Sorrel Kink Drink
Oyin Hair Dew

Moisturizer:
Distilled Water (room temp)
Camille Rose JAI Twist Butter
Oyin Hair Dew

Oils:
EVOO
Gleau Oil
Soultanicals Power to the Prepoo
*I love oil rinsing

AgeinATL

Gotta update my list! Now that I am done transitioning, I have some new staples for my LP hair:

Shampoo:
Shea Moisture's Manuka Honey Shampoo (it will do until I find something better)
Shea Moisture's JBCO Shampoo (for clarifying)

Co-cleansers:
Shea Moisture's Purification Mask
As I Am Coconut Cowash

Deep Conditioners:
Bee Mine Bee-u-ti-ful DC (looking for something a bit more moisturizing, but it is petty good for now)
Bekura/BASK Vanilla Whiskey Hair Soak
*Looking for a good moisturizing DC with no protein.

Protein Treatment:

Leave-in:
Soultanicals Sorrel Kink Drink
Oyin Hair Dew

Moisturizer:
Camille Rose JAI Twist Butter
Oyin Hair Dew

Oils:
EVOO
Gleau Oil
Soultanicals Power to the Prepoo
*I love oil rinsing

Updating. Now that I have been natural for a year, I finally have my staples pretty much set. I just try new things on occasion.

Shampoo:
Shea Moisture's JBCO Shampoo
ORS Creamy Aloe (for clarifying)

Co-cleansers:
N/A - I no longer cowash

Deep Conditioners:
Shea Moisture 10-in-1 Superfruit Complex Mask
Shea Moisture Sacha Mask
Bekura YAM Nectar

Protein Treatment:

Leave-in:
Oyin Hair Dew
Shescentit Coco Crème

Moisturizer:
Camille Rose JAI
Oyin Hair Dew

Oils:
Rarely use oils but I do like EVOO and JBCO

Last edited:

faithVA

Right now I'm enjoying TGIN leave-in and As I Am So Much Moisture. For shampoo and I enjoying Elasta QP and Crème of Nature.

I want to try some other TGIN products.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Right now, I'm loving Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Shampoo and Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Conditioner, along with Oyin Hair Dew.

blackeyes31626

Right now my staples are:
Shampoo
-SM jbco I think it's clarifying.
-SM manuka honey, if my hair is feeling dry

Protein treatment
-Komaza Care protein strengthener

Deep Conditioner
-SM manuka honey and mafura oil

Leave in, moisturizer and sealer.
-QB ohhb, QB ctdg and Oyin bsp. Or
-QB ohhb, Oyin dew and Oyin bsp.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Some things that I'm discovering my hair really likes:

Grapeseed oil
The cowash combination V05 clarifying conditioner followed by HE LTR
Rosemary tea rinses
Elasta QP olive oil & mango butter moisturizer (the one in the jar) but only once a week, immediately after a rollerset

Last edited:

Evolving78

I'm glad this was bumped because I'm not spending another dime on hair products until I find out what will work for me! I should throw everything away. Oyin works decent because it doesn't have glycerin in it.
Right now, I'm down to using a conditioner for daily moisture and slip. So I have to wash my hair twice a week to avoid build up.

Evolving78

I can't use anything you ladies have posted! All of this honey, glycerin, protein filled products aren't gonna cut it! :lachen:

Rastafarai

Shampoos: I need to have that squeaky clean feeling of my scalp and found that Mud Puddle provides a great clay-base clarifier for my hair without stripping moisture. I also top it with some Nexxus Therappe.

Protein: Framesi Color Moisture Mask. No joke, but this product has transformed my hair from fine, delicate strands to strands that can take a beating with a comb or brush without losing strands. The product has quinoa protein and silk amino acids. My strands just lay so smooth and flat right now and is SUPER silky. I need a case of these. I do not need any other protein mask but this.

Deep Conditioners: Anything with honey (YAM Nectar and Jakeala Honey Hair Mask in Original) and Marshmallow Root (I found Naturelle Grow Marshmallow DC to be a perfect fit). I want to try her Greens DC though.

Moisturizers: countless, but most are from Jakeala's (Nappy Butter) and SiameseTwist (Pumpkin Coconut, Sweet Potatoe, Raspberry Henna, MILK, and Pomegranate Black Seed) lines .

Oils: Jakeala's Beau Vert and Anita Grant oils (loved Sapote Oil until they have discontinued it, alongside Anita's castor oil and Japanese Camellia Kissi)

So my staple products come from 4 main lines I cannot live without: Anita Grant, Framesi, Jakeala, and SiameseTwists. I am at a point where I don't need to be a PJ. I found my staples but I still love trying new things ever so often, lol.

Anaisin

Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo

Deep Conditioner: Mielle Organics Babassu mint oil DC
Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream repair mask
Curl Junkie Curl Rehab

Conditioner: Vo5 Kiwi Lime

Cleansing Conditioner: MopTop cowash

Protein: Curl Junkie Repair Me

Moisturizer: Camille Rose Curl Love (on damp & dry hair), Oyin Handmade Hair Dew (on wet hair)

Sealant: Oyin Handmade burnt sugar pomade, Camille Rose Ajani hair balm

Refresher: Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Camille Rose Fresh Curl

Styler: Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Belnouvo deep quench moisture butter, Eco Styler Gel olive oil, Wetline xtreme gel

faithVA

I asked and she said they didn't have the leave in, just the dc & shampoo.
Call around to some other Sally's in your area to see if they carry a different stock. My Sally's didn't have the shampoo but my Target did. I think they carry different items based on demographics.