Naturals and Blow Drying

Aalize

Do any naturals here blow dry their hair(to make it straight) ? If so what product do you use to protect from damage and maintain moisture?

I tried blow drying about 2 weeks ago and my hair was SO DRY. I used Elasta QP Silk, but that seemed to have no effect. I asked my friend (who has waistlenght hair) was she uses, and she said biosilk. Has anyone used any Biosilk products?

HonEB

i would also like to know about how to blow dry natural hair straight. I tried it with with curl relaxing balm. It turned out dry and frizzy but had some straightness to it.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

No I have not tried blow drying my hair lately.I am doing "no heat" until April due to the cold weather. I have not used biosilk,but I'll tell you when I was fully natural, I would use 911 leave in conditioner and some type of hair grease (not heavy) and blow dry my hair with a gold n hot dryer and my hair would be straight,no frizz

inthepink

I'm transitioning and when I straighten my hair, I don't use a blowdryer b/c I know I'd end up with frizzy hair. I let my hair airdry in two ponytails and then straigten it with a curling iron in small sections. Comes out very smooth. I use CD Hair Milk.

joyous

When I blowdry I use Breakthru Heat Styling Lotion(don't know the proper name)and a ionic blow dryer, my hair comes out very soft and silky. I first put my hair in two ponytails and let it air dry until damp, then I apply the heating styling lotion and blow dry in sections.As you blowdry each section add a light oil of your choice and proceed with drying.HTH

miss_brown

My hair needs a good balance of water and oil when blow drying to prevent frizzies and ensure straight hair. I used to just use Motions Nourish Leave In and them some heavy oil and blow dry, but a couple months ago I found TCB HeatSense and this is the best heat protectant I've ever used. Perfect balance of moisture and oil, plus it has a heavy cream consistency.

Unfortunately, I think it's discontinued because since I found it at that discount store,I have not seen it again

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Aalize said:
Do any naturals here blow dry their hair(to make it straight) ? If so what product do you use to protect from damage and maintain moisture?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder the same thing. I was thinking of using low heat instead of high hot heat. Can natural hair get straight with a blowdryer? Will blowdrying on low heat be effective as long as youre gentle?

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
profective breakthru heat protectant
it gets straight but i have to use tiny sections, not worth it
my hair is always hard when i blow dry not matter what i use so i havent done it much since i've been natural

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
profective breakthru heat protectant
it gets straight but i have to use tiny sections, not worth it
my hair is always hard when i blow dry not matter what i use so i havent done it much since i've been natural

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Aalize said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder the same thing. I was thinking of using low heat instead of high hot heat. Can natural hair get straight with a blowdryer? Will blowdrying on low heat be effective as long as youre gentle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've bumped every blowdrying thread we have! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I don't like blowdrying with heat. I prefer to straighten by air drying or blowdrying on cold then flatironing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hot blow dryer + iron = crispy, brittle hair

I never mastered the fine art of rollersetting natural hair so I can't give you a comparison of that method vs. blowdrying. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Aalize said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've bumped every blowdrying thread we have! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I don't like blowdrying with heat. I prefer to straighten by air drying or blowdrying on cold then flatironing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I never mastered the fine art of rollersetting natural hair so I can't give you a comparison of that method vs. blowdrying. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif blowdrying was on my mind and I decided to do a big search on it. HEEHEE! /images/graemlins/spinning.gif I'm just tired of rollersetting...my arms get worn out! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif
That's exactly what I was thinking about...blowdrying my hair on cold...do u think that will get my hair straight? Well to answer my own question /images/graemlins/grin.gif, it shouldnt hurt, I'll just try it and see. I just wanna avoid as much heat as possible. i've really been benefitting from using no heat for the past few months! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Falon

I never managed to get my hair straight with a blowdryer when it was natural. I just had a blown out afro. I don't know if it is possible for natural 4/bs to acheive straight hair using just a blowdryer.

I will say that I am sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong though.

In order for me to straighten my hair when it was natural it had to be blow dried then pressed or blow dried then flat ironed.

I use to think that this method was too destructive to the hair and would defeat the purpose of having chemical free hair...but I have seen evidence to prove other wise.

Not to put her on blast but UNLV Girl is a natural 4b and this methos works for her. Why don't you read her blog for ideas?

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
I never managed to get my hair straight with a blowdryer when it was natural. I just had a blown out afro. I don't know if it is possible for natural 4/bs to acheive straight hair using just a blowdryer.

I will say that I am sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong though.

In order for me to straighten my hair when it was natural it had to be blow dried then pressed or blow dried then flat ironed.

I use to think that this method was too destructive to the hair and would defeat the purpose of having chemical free hair...but I have seen evidence to prove other wise.

Not to put her on blast but UNLV Girl is a natural 4b and this methos works for her. Why don't you read her blog for ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif hmmm...i think UNLVgirl presses her hair. I guess there's really no way of getting around the heat if you want straight hair. I only saw a link to her album in her siggy...about to go check out her blog for ideas. /images/graemlins/driver.gif

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Aalize said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif blowdrying was on my mind and I decided to do a big search on it. HEEHEE! /images/graemlins/spinning.gif I'm just tired of rollersetting...my arms get worn out! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif
That's exactly what I was thinking about...blowdrying my hair on cold...do u think that will get my hair straight? Well to answer my own question /images/graemlins/grin.gif, it shouldnt hurt, I'll just try it and see. I just wanna avoid as much heat as possible. i've really been benefitting from using no heat for the past few months! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Blowdrying on cold and flatironing is what I do. The air pressure knocks the big droplets off and the cold air does actually does help to evaporate the rest.

Blowdrying on cold will not get your hair straight, though.