Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Tension method

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AmyRose92

...bits and pieces of hair in the sink while blow drying with a comb attachment?

Hi ladies! I'm still experimenting with my hair and I'm tired of wearing twists underneath wigs 24/7 so I've decided to incorporate a bit of heat in my regimen. Nothing serious though; I plan on blow drying on low heat every week and wear my hair in buns. I'll seal my ends with jojoba oil and put them in jumbo twists before bed.

However, I notice that every time I blow dry with my comb attachment, I get little bits and pieces of hair in the sink. I put my hair in 12 sections to do anything and every time I'd do a section, there would be like 10 tiny pieces of hair, so at least 120 bits for my entire head. To my knowledge, it's breakage so I don't think I'll be using the comb attachment but the tension method.

So is this normal for some of you naturals?

SavannahNatural

I use the tension method, but only use my hands when trying to stretch quickly. When I was relaxed I saw this all the time when I would blow dry my hair.

I don't do it often enough now to have an idea if it's "normal". However I do think that anything that runs through your hair with heat and force will break off strands that are tangled or "in the way".

I would say make sure your hair is well detangled prior to using the comb attachment, and do it in sections for more control.

HTH

ms.blue

When I blowdry, depending on my mood I would do either. I do prefer the tension method though b/c I can get my hair straighter doing that method than just using the comb attachment.

aishasoleil

I had the same idea a while back to do a weekly blow dry to stretch my hair and then bun it up. But I, too, noticed that I would get breakage every time. Breakage that I didn't get during my regular "styling".

I can't really tell you what is normal, but for me it kind of put me off of blow drying for a bit. I do feel that a bit of breakage in general (for my hair and in my experience) isn't abnormal. I actually come to expect a (very) small amount of breakage depending on what I'm doing. But I get a *lot* of breakage when I blow dry. So... I dunno. :-(

I wish I could give some advice. But I'm definitely hanging out here to see what others have to say. Might give me some tips. Lol!

ETA: When I have blow dried my hair, I used the tension method. Sometimes with a wide-tooth comb and sometimes with just my hands.

westNDNbeauty

Breakage is quite normal when using a comb attachment. Remember you are tugging at and combing through your strands.

Like the first poster said, use your hands instead. I don't see the need for a tool when blow drying unless I plan on straightening my hair with a flat iron. Other than that I just pull my hair taut and run the dryer up and down my hair shaft until my hair is dry. Much quicker than using a comb or brush.

FearlessNik

If you're doing something that is damaging your hair then just stop doing it :ohwell::look::nono:

ETA: Question... Why/ what results are you expecting to get from blow drying? Are you using the blow dryer to straighten or to quickly dry it without altering your texture?

Last edited:

Bublin

OP, in the summer (before i gave up all heat) i used to stand in my garden and blowdry with a comb attachment because there was hair all over the place.
I knew it wasn't good at all but i hadn't mastered airdrying at that time and felt i had no choice as the tension method didn't work for me.

melissa-bee

OP, in the summer (before i gave up all heat) i used to stand in my garden and blowdry with a comb attachment because there was hair all over the place.
I knew it wasn't good at all but i hadn't mastered airdrying at that time and felt i had no choice as the tension method didn't work for me.

LMAO, good idea. When I'd be done blow drying there would be hair all up on the ceiling.

BlackMasterPiece

I always blowdry with the comb attachment, the only hairs I see in the sink are shed hairs, if I saw alot of broken off hairs I would be concerned.

Also, I think it would also be best to be more specific in terms of the group you pose this question to OP. For example, I would say "4a coarse thick haired naturals, how normal is it to have....." that way you'll get a better feel for what the norms are for your specific kind of hair. Naturals can be anyone from 3b to 4c fine.

AmyRose92

If you're doing something that is damaging your hair then just stop doing it :ohwell::look::nono:

ETA: Question... Why/ what results are you expecting to get from blow drying? Are you using the blow dryer to straighten or to quickly dry it without altering your texture?

I'm not looking to get really straight results, but just to stretch out the hair so that I can do a bun I'll be satisfied with.

I'm definitely not going to continue to use the attachment if I keep seeing broken hairs. I alternated using the tension method and it got my hair just as straight so I think I'll be doing that as opposed to using the attachment.

thaidreams

Tension method works best for me. I have less breakage and don't have to use as much heat if I choose to flat iron afterward.

30something

I use both methods, pull my hair downward stretched out with tension and use a comb attachment. You're going to find little pieces but it shouldn't be many... about what you typically see after styling, could be a little bit more if you're rough and hasty. Those cheap inflexible comb attachments can be hard on the hair too. Once I replaced my old attachment it improved my blow drying so much... So did using Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Blow Dry Perfector Straightening Balm (not to be mistaken for the notorious Blow Dry Perfector Kit).

hair4romheaven

My hair becomes crunchy & dry when blow drying anyone know how to combat that?
I use aowc to dc & kckt w/ grapeseed oil as a leave in.
Sent from my PC36100

pookaloo83

Yes. I always find pieces of hair when I blowdry with the comb attachmnet. However, the last time I did I didn't see many broken hairs because I dried in smaller sections.Thankfully, I will only blow dry with the comb attachment if I want to flatiron. But I'm not really crazy about the tension method. All of the hair gets straight except the ends. I hate that. I guess because I'm holding the ends to pull my hair taut and that part gets neglected idk.

Chameleonchick

I don't think that is normal. Use the tension method its better because there is less manipulation.

Sent from my A100 using A100

Ann0804

No, that's not normal-imo/e. I blow dry using a paddle brush and don't have that issue. It could be that your hair is just shedding now that it is not in a protective style.

HautePinkHeels

If I use a comb to blow dry I get bits and pieces in the sink.

Now I just part my hair into 4 sections and use my fingers as the comb. It's a lot easier for your fingers to feel tangles and remove them than it is to use a comb to basically rip through your hair.

lana

I'll be honest here as I'm sure everyone is...I lose A LOT of hair when blowdrying with the comb attachment. So much so that if I have to blow dry, I only use the comb attachment for special occassions. So that's like once or twice a year.

I use the tension method and to be honest (again) as a Texlaxed 4a/b it does NOT get my hair straight like the comb attachment. BUT - I lose way way way less hair. Like only the shed hairs, not breakage.

The comb attachment is a "no-no" for my 4a/b texlaxed hair and it was an absolute "NO!" for my 4a/b natural hair in the beginning.

I like the results of blow drying and flat ironing. But I hate the breakage.

So find what works for you. You want to retain length by protective styling, I think you would be fine to air dry or use a hooded dryer or the tension method.

I'm glad you asked this questions OP.

Rei

I lose a lot of hair as well as a 4b natural when using the comb. So, I don't use it. With the tension method I get a lot less breakage, but I still get breakage.

I try to avoid blow drying, I've been stretching using braids (twists don't work as well) after a wash. it doesn't get it as straight as blowdrying but it works well enough to minimize ssks.

BlaqBella

It's definitely not normal. It's taken me a long time to strengthen my hair and be able to use my denman under the shower water and out of the shower with product to put my hair in a puff. I get very few shed hairs now. From start to finish.

ETA: I voted other because lately I've gone back to airdrying in plats overnight before flat ironing. And it took what seemed like forever to find the right product combination for this to turn out perfect. Now I know I don't 'have' try the crisco method, but that doesn't mean I won't.

Last edited:

daydreem2876

carpe diem
I use a hatchet shaped blow out comb. If I do everthing correctly (properly wash, condition, add leave ins, and detangle) I have little to no breakage. If I rush or start skipping/skimpng on steps I get breakage :ohwell:

Bublin

I use a hatchet shaped blow out comb. If I do everthing correctly (properly wash, condition, add leave ins, and detangle) I have little to no breakage. If I rush or start skipping/skimpng on steps I get breakage :ohwell:

Do you have a picture of this comb?