Naturals: What's your Blow-Dry Regimen?

AfroDoll

Hi Ladies!

Just want to find out how to blow dry natural hair without getting heat damage.
What are your fave products to use when blow-drying?

Do you use a:
Leave in
Heat Protectant
Serum
Oil
Or all of the above??...And what method? Comb attachment, Paddle brush etc.

Thanks!

PureSilver

i've always wanted to know this too, but i'm too lazy to start threads.

Bumping for responses...........

AfroDoll

lol I'm not one to start threads either..but I really need help with this.
I usually just air-dry but I need to blow out my hair to do braid extensions.

Bump..

FearfullyMade

I blow-dry my hair in the sectioned braids that I washed them in. I'd like to get my staple products together but for now, I've been trying to use up products that I've had for a while.
I've been using different oils like coconut oil or jojoba oil to moisturize and bio fusion olive oil shine serum to give protection from the heat of the blow dryer (even though I use the lowest setting)

I use the Tension Method( I think that's what it's called) when you hold the section of hair stretched as you hold the blow dryer to the hair.

I wear sew-ins and wigs so I like the have my hair stretched so that when my daughter braids my hair she doesn't have to manipulate the hair as much.

Mandy4610

I do my regular washing routine: prepoo, shampoo, DC, detangle.

My hair is in about 8 sections after detangling. I then add my leave-in and serum(heat protectant) one section at a time. I proceed to blow dry that section with a comb attachment.

I would like to try the tension method in the near future.
The comb attachment is great for getting the roots straight. I wonder if the tension method will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

AfroDoll

I blow-dry my hair in the sectioned braids that I washed them in. I'd like to get my staple products together but for now, I've been trying to use up products that I've had for a while.
I've been using different oils like coconut oil or jojoba oil to moisturize and bio fusion olive oil shine serum to give protection from the heat of the blow dryer (even though I use the lowest setting)

I use the Tension Method( I think that's what it's called) when you hold the section of hair stretched as you hold the blow dryer to the hair.

I wear sew-ins and wigs so I like the have my hair stretched so that when my daughter braids my hair she doesn't have to manipulate the hair as much.

I don't think I can use the Tension method... I have a TWA so I don't have much hair to hold on to :lachen:
I plan to use low heat as well, I don't want my hair to be stick straight, just stretched.

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
iuse my leave in when iblow dry. and use a comb attachment if I'm planning on flat ironing afterwards. otherwise ilet my hair air dry.

but I'd like to see what others are doing too :look:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Try banding your hair instead of blowdrying. Search YouTube for natural hair banding tutorials. It's my method of choice.

Sent from my iPod Touch using LHCF App

AfroDoll

I do my regular washing routine: prepoo, shampoo, DC, detangle.

My hair is in about 8 sections after detangling. I then add my leave-in and serum(heat protectant) one section at a time. I proceed to blow dry that section with a comb attachment.

I would like to try the tension method in the near future.
The comb attachment is great for getting the roots straight. I wonder if the tension method will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

What serum are u using? I'm think of using CHI silk infusion but I'm not sure if it's a heat protectant. My dryer has a comb attachment, I used it when I was relaxed & my thick hair would always break the comb :ohwell:

AfroDoll

iuse my leave in when iblow dry. and use a comb attachment if I'm planning on flat ironing afterwards. otherwise im ilet my hair air dry.

but I'd like to see what others are doing too :look:

What leave in do u have? I'm using Aphogee Pro-Vitamin but I don't like it much.

nappystorm

I put my hair in 8 sections. I apply a serum and blow dry each section at a time, using a comb attachment. After that section is dry, I braid it back up until I'm finished

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I have two different methods.

1st one: I'm actually gonna wear the blowout as is.
wash/condition, section in four, add plenty of moisturizing leave-in and heat protectant serum (Parnevu Leave-In and Fantasia Ic serum), blowdry on low with comb attachment till mostly dry, then add concentrator nozzle on high heat for a few seconds with paddle brush, bantu knot each section as i finish.

2nd one: I plan to straighten after.
wash/condition, section in four, add one drop of serum to each section, blowdry with comb attachment on low, then add concentrator nozzle on high heat with round brush to really straighten out the roots. pin up each section as i finish, then proceed to flatiron.
wash/condition,

danigurl18

I blow dry my hair with the standard wide tooth comb attachment. I put in a leave in followed by heat protectant and then Fantasia Frizz Buster serum. Then I blow dry.

prettypithy

I tried the tension method the other day. I got great results along the length of my hair but I couldn't quite get the ends. Any tips on how to get straight ends with the tension method?

Mandy4610

What serum are u using? I'm think of using CHI silk infusion but I'm not sure if it's a heat protectant. My dryer has a comb attachment, I used it when I was relaxed & my thick hair would always break the comb :ohwell:
I use Sabino moisture block. As for the comb attachment. I bought one from the BSS which has teeth that have some give to them so they don't break.

AfroDoll

If your hair is long enough to blow dry it then it's long enough to band. Just have to use smaller sections...but do what works for you. :)

Sent from my iPod Touch using LHCF App

Ok thanks. I haven't used heat as a natural so I'm tempted to blow dry, but I will definitely look up Banding.... *off to youtube* :)

AfroDoll

I have two different methods.

1st one: I'm actually gonna wear the blowout as is.
wash/condition, section in four, add plenty of moisturizing leave-in and heat protectant serum (Parnevu Leave-In and Fantasia Ic serum), blowdry on low with comb attachment till mostly dry, then add concentrator nozzle on high heat for a few seconds with paddle brush, bantu knot each section as i finish.

2nd one: I plan to straighten after.
wash/condition, section in four, add one drop of serum to each section, blowdry with comb attachment on low, then add concentrator nozzle on high heat with round brush to really straighten out the roots. pin up each section as i finish, then proceed to flatiron.
wash/condition,

Thanks! I just bought ic fantasia but I got the spray instead of the serum. :spinning:

AfroDoll

im using Giovanni Direct Leave In:) Walmart sells it. its kinda like a detangler too, because ihave hardly no problems combing through my hair and sectioning it after using it :grin:

Oooh sounds good! Giovanni & Knot today seem 2 be popular Leave ins. I'm in the uk so there's no Wallyworld 4 me :lachen:

NinasLongAmbition

STEP 1- DC(UNDER DRYER FOR LIKE 25 MINUTES) ON SECTIONED HAIR
STEP 2- COWASH ON SECTIONED HAIR
STEP 3- RINSE AND DETANGLE SECTION BY SECTION WITH BIG COMB , THEN WITH SMALLER COMB.
STEP 4- APPLY MORE MOISTURE W/ SHEA MOISTURE'S CURL MILK
STEP 5- BLOW DRY SECTION BY SECTION WITH COMB ATTACHMENT
STEP 6-APPLY INDIAN JASMINE OIL WITH CASTOR OIL TO SEAL THE ENDS

THAT'S ALL FOLKS...NO HEAT PROTECTANT, I DONT BELIEVE THEY WORK ANYWAY.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I do what some of the ladies here have mentioned already. :yep: Pre poo with an oil or conditioner (or both lol), wash, DC, and then separate into 12 sections (makes for quicker progression.) I apply my leave-ins (usually a mix or serum/spray.... Chi Silk infusion and keratin mist) and proceed to blow dry by section.

When I do blow dry it's on usually low (or medium on occasion) with the tension method because I don't have a comb attachment but I do have a "root shooter" or whatever it's called that came with it.

Normally, I just air dry in pigtails or by banding. Surprisingly it can get the hair pretty straight. :yep:

AfroDoll

Soooo, I ended up using IC Fantasia heat protectant spray. I blow-dried with a comb attachment & used the lowest heat setting. My hair felt so soft! : )