Naturals what protein treatments are you using?

hair4romheaven

I am a 4B newly natural. I have all of my products and regi down to grow my hair out but I don't have a protein treatment. I use to use Jherri Redding but that was while transitioning. I wonder if it will still work on my natural hair. IDK
So my question is what protein treatments are you natural heads using? and how often?

I also have DRC -28 but will be selling it in the exchange forum since I am no longer transition and know that will be to strong for my hair.

Yoshi3329

I'm still transitioning, but I use Redken Extreme-Anti-Snap Leave-in. I use it every 2-3 days. I believe it is a light protein.

ETA: It also has ceramides.

Last edited:

brownsugarbaby

I just add an egg to my fave deep conditioner. Its never on a set schedule just really when I feel shedding and breakage are too much.

Mandy4610

I use aubrey organics GPB and ORS hair mayo(occassionally). GPB is my fav, I can get away with using it every week, it is very mild.

Ronnieaj

I use Aphogee 2-step every 6 weeks, and either the 2 min reconstructor, AO GPB, or Joico KPak every week. I followt he 2-step with a heavy moisturizing DC, and mix the latter condishes with oils to make them somewhat more moisturizing.

Esthi777

I also use Aphogee 2-step every 6 weeks and the Aphogee shampoo and 2min reconstructor every week.

alive

I am a 4b as well and I don't use protein because I've noticed that my hair does not need extra protein. Since you're a new natural, I would recommend that you watch your hair and see how it reacts to light protein before using protein on a regular basis. Coconut oil behaves like a light protein and my hair can't stand it

Summer79

I just add an egg to my fave deep conditioner. Its never on a set schedule just really when I feel shedding and breakage are too much.

This is exactly what I do. Only when my hair feels like it needs it.

ETA:I do love henna but sometimes it seems that's not enough for my head and I sometimes need to use a little more.

Last edited:

CA*Nappy

I use several DC mixes:

Sunday a combo of ORS, Aphogee 2min, Mega Tek, Cholesterol & EVOO & Castor Oil

Just found another good combo of Nexxus Humestress and Keraphix which is not that strong but effective.

steffiejoe

I use Joico K-pak at least once a month.It has been my favorite for over 1 year. I just recently tried the UBH conditioner, boy it left my hair strands really strong.

Tiye

I am a 4b as well and I don't use protein because I've noticed that my hair does not need extra protein. Since you're a new natural, I would recommend that you watch your hair and see how it reacts to light protein before using protein on a regular basis. Coconut oil behaves like a light protein and my hair can't stand it

^^ Same hair type and that might be my situation. I don't use protein conditioner and never felt that I was missing anything. I've tried hair mayo, and regular mayo, etc., but those things did anything for my hair and I don't like ao products. I do use virgin coconut oil and love it, so maybe that serves as a substitute. I have some of those aphogee sample packets from sally's but I've never used them.

lamaria211

ME TOO MY HAIR HATES coconut oil and heavy protein i can use an egg for 15 mins ad myhair will feel soft and strong but soon as i cross that 15 to 20 min mark it gets hard and tangled:nono:

nikolite

I use Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor (with DC for 30 minutes) and henna as my hardcore treatment. Henna isn't protein but it has similar strengthening qualities.

darlingdiva

I alternate between AO GPB & Aphogee 2-minute weekly. I've also been using the Hydratherma Naturals Protein Balance Leave-In.

EllePixie

I'm protein sensitive, but can get away with using AO GPB every couple of weeks or so. It's light, but there's a noticeable difference when I use it.

Tif392002

i been using aphogee 2 min, whenever my hair needs it. i also blow dry on low heat and use the aphogee green tea reconstructor for strength as needed. i think the 2-step is to heavy for my hair, but i did use it whn i was relaxed,

Last edited: