Naturals what protein treatments are you using?

Krystle~Hime

I want to do a protein treatment again, but this time I want to use heat. so i will not use full eggs.

Have you already try mayo ? I think it's the best match for not making an omelet in hair.

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

Hydrotherma Naturals Amino Plus Protein Deep Conditioner - I use it as needed, usually after taking down a protective style. It provides strength and moisture so I don't have to go back and do another moisturizing dc.

cutenss

I use:

Aphogee 2 Step--every six weeks (I just started doing this again about 12 weeks ago)
Aphogee 2 minute reconstuctor every week
Aphogee Green Tea Mist after every wash/cowash

I have fine natural strands :yep:

TheCoilWhisperer

I used AO GBP followed by AO HSR for the first time last week and it helped stop the breakage from a moisture issue. However, I think I'm going to limit the protein to once a month.

ycj1

I use to use and loved when I was relaxed cholesterol, but since being all natural it makes my hair extremely hard.:sad: I don't know why bc when I was relaxed my hair loved it. I use dominican wheat protein and it makes my hair so strong.

Jetblackhair

I mostly use UBH Conditioner & Megatek, but I'm going to try Nexxus Emergencee to see how it works. I want to add a protein treatment to my arsenal that I don't have to purchase online.

naturalTAN

I use Aphogee 2min weekly, but I'm trying to only do this treatment every two weeks to make it last longer. So far so good because I've been using the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Rec. underneath my moisturizing leave in on the week that I skip the 2min.

Fhrizzball

Henna mixed with egg, protein filler, and aphogee 2 min every month

or AO GBP glycogen protein balancing conditioner. I haven't tried it out yet so I don't know how strong it is. If it's not strong enough I suppose I can just add 2min or mayo to it or perhaps treat it as a protein dc that's not really a treatment?

Aphogee 2 min doesn't do anything to my hair by itself

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

I need a protein treatment for my natural hair. I'm trying to decide between the Ultra Sheen Duo Tex or Aphoghee 2 Minute Reconstructor.

Edited To Add: I decided to go with the Aphogee. The Sally's where I live didn't carry the Duo Tex.

Last edited:

ajargon02

I just add an egg to my fave deep conditioner. Its never on a set schedule just really when I feel shedding and breakage are too much.

A lot of people use the Aphoghee 2 step. Check You tube videos.

I use aubrey organics GPB and ORS hair mayo(occassionally). GPB is my fav, I can get away with using it every week, it is very mild.

I use Aphogee 2-step every 6 weeks, and either the 2 min reconstructor, AO GPB, or Joico KPak every week. I follow the 2-step with a heavy moisturizing DC

From the above you can see, many do different things. I go agree that naturals that don't use heat to straight on the regular, and that don't have color or handle their hair roughly, don't really need heavy protein. A light protein should suffice.

I am a 4b as well and I don't use protein because I've noticed that my hair does not need extra protein. Since you're a new natural, I would recommend that you watch your hair and see how it reacts to light protein before using protein on a regular basis. Coconut oil behaves like a light protein and my hair can't stand it

YUP, basically, YOU have to find what works for you! Trial and error. IMHO, I would start with a light protein, like adding egg to your DC mix, or adding mayo as a DC ( not like miracle whip, but mayo with eggs, oil and vinegar from the store or you can get a recipe on-line ) an see how that works.

For me, I still have color in my hair closer to the ends. Before I use any protein, I will clarify, then I will use Aphogee 2 step 4 times a year at the most, or I will henna 2-3 times a year instead. I have protein as a preventive on a set schedule. If I just want a light protein I do the mayo or eggs. IDK, you just have to see what works. Regardless of what you choose for protein, ALWAYS follow up with a DC. If you find that your strands are hard after, that (again IMHO ) is a sign that the protein was too much for your hair. Your hair should not feel hard after your protein and DC tx ( treatment ) HTH, good luck to you :D

Charla

I'm going to experiment with ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner mixed with one whole egg. If I like that, then I might do it every 2 weeks.

My next option will be Main N' Tail mixed with one whole egg.

I remember doing a hard protein treatment when I was relaxed and afterwards my hair felt somewhat hard and dry. I figure if my relaxed hair didn't like hard protein then my natural hair surely won't. But right now, I know I need some sort of regular protein. Be it light or medium, I'll have to figure it out.

SimJam

I'm still transitioning, but I use Redken Extreme-Anti-Snap Leave-in. I use it every 2-3 days. I believe it is a light protein.

ETA: It also has ceramides.

I keep forgetting to use mine :perplexed

I alternate between AO GPB and Nexxus Emergencée. I use them once a week.

whaaaaaat .... once a week ... again Im soooo off my protein since I went natural and now Im reaping the resluts :nono:

I've been skipping the protein d/c's pretty much since becoming natural a year ago. I didn't think my hair really needed it... but I think I'm missing some strength, as I've had a lot of breakage lately, so I just ordered some Aubrey GPB, and Hairveda Methi Sativa (I use natural-based products whenever possible)

i think I need to get this ...

Charla

I'm going to experiment with ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner mixed with one whole egg. If I like that, then I might do it every 2 weeks.

My next option will be Main N' Tail mixed with one whole egg.

I remember doing a hard protein treatment when I was relaxed and afterwards my hair felt somewhat hard and dry. I figure if my relaxed hair didn't like hard protein then my natural hair surely won't. But right now, I know I need some sort of regular protein. Be it light or medium, I'll have to figure it out.

As an update, I did the ORS with 1 egg today, and it was AWESOME! I left in on my hair with a plastic cap for about 5 hours as I did chores. When I rinsed it out, my hair felt very plump. I don't know how else to describe it, but it just felt good and plump and full. It's like my hair was missing something and I didn't even realize it! This definitely filled in the protein I guess I needed. I think I'll be doing this twice a month. Good thing I have 3 bottles of this stuff and plenty of eggs!

On a side note, I used ORS be itself plenty of time -- with and without heat -- and my hair never felt like this afterwards.

BTW, it was very runny with the egg, so I put it in an applicator bottle. It filled to 4 oz. And I had the drippies for a while!

melissa-bee

I've been using AO GPB
But i've been using henna this past month and I'm loving it.
I don't really use protein much as I mostly co wash.
This thread is making want to go and wash my hair.

MzSwift

Non-Natural:
-Motions CPR (in the bottle) as a weekly light protein
-Megatek, just started using as a protein tx as it wasn't working as a GA

Natural:
-1 Egg, added to my moisturizing DC
-Full fat plain yogurt
-Avocado Oil, I know the whole avocado is moisturizing but the oil responds like a protein for me
-I have coconut milk that I haven't tried yet b/c I'm scared. My hair despises coconut oil.

I've also added henna (and few other powders) to my cheapie condish as a cowash that I use daily in the warm weather and ocassionally in the colder weather.

lesedi

All is well with me
I probably do not do protein treatments often enough. I generally only do them before and after my braid installs but I do use ors repplenishing every other week, does this count? When I do manage to do a protein treatment, my mixture is: 1 egg, a tsp salt, castor oil and a cheapie conditioner. I leave this on overnight and my hair is wayyyyy thicker, stronger and shinier. I'm definitely going to do one this week :)