Naturals what protein treatments are you using?

melissa-bee

I probably do not do protein treatments often enough. I generally only do them before and after my braid installs but I do use ors repplenishing every other week, does this count? When I do manage to do a protein treatment, my mixture is: 1 egg, a tsp salt, castor oil and a cheapie conditioner. I leave this on overnight and my hair is wayyyyy thicker, stronger and shinier. I'm definitely going to do one this week :)

lesedi , why do you use salt? is it table salt or sea salt and what does it do?

lesedi

All is well with me
lesedi , why do you use salt? is it table salt or sea salt and what does it do?

Justkiya started a thread on how adding salt to dc mixes ups the moisturising capabilities of the treatment, and it really works. I use normal table salt and I add it to all my DC's- it makes my hair extra buttery and soft.I forgot the science behind it but there is a scientific theorem and formula to explain it. Give it a go!

coyacoy

I dry DC with aubrey gpb and henna monthly.

Also use giovanni hair reconstructor every other wash

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

fivetimestwo

I've tried quite a few protein treatments (I'm color treated so its a MUST) and I keep going back to my Sally's knockoff of Joico kpak reconstrutor. I like it better than aphogee 2 minute and it's much easier to work with than the Duo Tex. I do like the duo tex because it's cheap and lasts forever, but it's a super strong protein for me and I try to avoid if possible.

When I''m outta my bootleg kpak I will sometimes pre-poo with coconut oil, which is supposed to mimick the effects of protein. :yep:

ChanelNo5

Anyone try AOGPB with an egg?
Anymore natural recipes?

You gave me this idea and I tried it last Sunday.:yep:

I knew I definitely needed a good dose of protein because I was rocking a 3 week old press. But I was dreading wash day and the extra hopping in and out of the shower a protein treatment would take. And I knew that AO GPB was a deep conditioner that could be used on dry hair but I don't remember it being as strong as I like. So I thought the egg might really give me the instant strengthening results that say something like UBH conditioner would.

So I mixed 2 eggs, AO GB, and a little safflower/olive oil and a applied it to dry hair. Application was easy obviously because my hair was already straight. I let it sit under a plastic cap for about 2 hours. I then shampooed with CON and DC with Joico moisture recovery balm. I really like the results. My strands feel smooth and my hair is still moist today. I can't really gauge how much stronger my hair is though.

I am going to try this next week. We'll see if I'm singing the same tune when I start off with kinky hair.

MrsHaseeb

I use Elasta QP Soy Oyl. Its a very light protein and that's all I need since I'm doing rollersets and not blow drying and flat ironing. If I were still blow drying and flat ironing weekly I would use either Duo Tex or Millcreek Botanicals Keratin conditioner.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

coyacoy

I am using komaza care protein strength condish for my serious hard protein needs ..love!

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

nappytherapy

I use Greek yogurt (plain) mixed with ACV and lavender essential oil
This leaves my hair strong, detangled and shiny, the best ever

winona

Lately I have been adding strong proteins(Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum or Duo Tex) in moisturizing conditioners(CJ or homemade) biweekly and a strong protein(Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum, Duo Tex or Dudley) followed by very moisturizing conditioner(CJ, homemade, or dominican) every 2 months. For the longest time I thought I was protein sensitive but I was just protein overloaded. Every since I have balance my protein with a good moisturizer I have had no problems.

chesleeb

I just bought some Elasta QP Soy OYL Deep Conditioner from Sallys in the store and used it today and I can finally say I have found my deep conditioner I love it! I will say a little goes a long way I used a bit too much so I was in the shower longer than I like but so far so good and this stuff doesn't have to sit long on the hair 15min so I like it!

LadyD

I just bought some Elasta QP Soy OYL Deep Conditioner from Sallys in the store and used it today and I can finally say I have found my deep conditioner I love it! I will say a little goes a long way I used a bit too much so I was in the shower longer than I like but so far so good and this stuff doesn't have to sit long on the hair 15min so I like it!

I use this when I steam. Is this a protein conditioner? I thought it was for moisture.

chesleeb

I use this when I steam. Is this a protein conditioner? I thought it was for moisture.

This is for both is it says it is a protein, oil and omega 3&6 I was told this is a "lighter" protein conditioner. All I know is I say it for 5.99 on sale and reg. price is 7.99 at Sallys liked the size 32oz and I was sold. Let me say this again touching my hair right now and I really really like it:yawn:. It does have mineral oil and such in its ingredients but...that don't bother me 5.99!:spinning:

theNaturalWonders

this past weekend i used plain greek yogurt, 1 ripe banana, and some olive oil and my hair was very defined and shiny when i rinsed it out. loved it! will be using this from now on.

RayRayFurious

I use ORS Hair Mayo, Elasta QP Soyoil, & various cholesterols from Lustrasilk (I don't consider the Lustrasilk to be that strong, though).