Naturals what protein treatments are you using?

Morenita

I've been skipping the protein d/c's pretty much since becoming natural a year ago. I didn't think my hair really needed it... but I think I'm missing some strength, as I've had a lot of breakage lately, so I just ordered some Aubrey GPB, and Hairveda Methi Sativa (I use natural-based products whenever possible)

southerncitygirl

komaza protein strengthener ( every 4-6 haven't purchased in a while)
saa add this to all my co-wash, poo, condish and styling products
ao gbp i switch btw this and other ao poo and condish a few times a year

Curlykale

There's 2 protein treatments I love. I leave them in from 5 minutes to half an hour, depending on how my hair feels... more or less every 2 weeks. I never use heat with them.

1) 2 or more parts moisturizing cheapie conditioner + 1 (part) egg yolk + 1 tablespoon olive oil mixed together: the yolk has a bit of protein, cholesterol, sulfur, other good stuff and has film forming properties... I don't like and I don't use the white as it's too much protein for me / I never use mayonnaise or egg powder for this reason. After this treatment I co-wash.

2) aubrey organics glycogen protein conditioner.

beautyaddict1913

i love homemade protein treatments - i use 1 egg yolk, an avocado, and some yogurt. Sometimes I add coconut cream and bananas. My hair comes out soo soft when I do this! And I only use it as needed, about every other month.

curlyninjagirl

I use Sally's generic joico kpak reconstructing conditioner once a month. It takes about 10 minutes to work it through my hair and I leave it in for another 5 minutes and then rinse.

Nasdaq_Diva

Aphoghee but I've only used it 1x in the last year. So far this year, I used coconut milk - which had some protein properties. A few times a week, I use Infusium as my leave in.

pmichael52172

Aubrey's GPB. My hair will get dry, brittle and break if I use heavy or medium protein too often. I've yet to figure out what "too often" is so I stick with the GPB. It's light but still enough where I can feel the difference. I do this maybe once a month, since I'm a press and curler 90% of the time.

Qurlyqt

Thanks for starting this thread OP. After I stopped using henna, I hadn't used any protein treatments. :look: I may explore this AO GPB. :yep:

Janet'

I have just recently started using Apoghee 2-Step but I've only used it once and I will use it on a "need to " basis. I only felt it necessary since I have gotten my hair triple process colored.

MeechUK

MeechUK
I use mayonnaise, 1 egg and amla oil for my monthly protein treatment. This leaves my hair strong, silky and moisturised.

Last edited:

iri9109

i like AO GPB! my hair is kinda protein sensitive, but this never makes my hair hard or crunchy...plus the ingredients are good!

Paris Belle

I'll use Nexxus Emergencee only when I feel like it's necessary. But overall, I stick with the moisturizing-protein combination conditioners like Diez y Uno etc. I don't find that I need too much protein by itself now that I'm natural. When I do it's like every 6-8 weeks or so.

Katherina

I use Aubrey Organics GPB just about every time I wash. It leaves my hair shiny, detangled and strong. Just did a DC with it earlier today!

Krystle~Hime

@brownsugarbaby

@Summer79

@ciccina

y'all said you use egg
but do you use Heat when doing this treatment? don't you afraid the egg turning into an omelet?

edit: does someone know how to do a "mention" ?

Rastafarai

My heavy protein combo - Nexxus Keraphix sealed with Nexxus Emergencee - works like a charm.

I'll see how Curl Junkie's Repair Me compares.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Plain old organic whole yogurt! It saved my hair from breakage during my transition and works wonders on my natural hair :yep:

hannan

@brownsugarbaby

@Summer79

@ciccina

y'all said you use egg
but do you use Heat when doing this treatment? don't you afraid the egg turning into an omelet?

edit: does someone know how to do a "mention" ?

Don't ever, ever, EVA use heat unless you want to be combing out scrambled eggs. I forgot one time and rinsed with hot water - bad idea.

Nasdaq_Diva

A few weeks ago I used Sally's GVP Joico KPak condtioner. My hair was shedding crazy with some breakage. I applied it on dry hair overnight with good results.

ladylo

Still figuring things out regimen-wise but Aphogee 2-step worked like a miracle on my hair. It's quite strong though so I'll only use it as needed.

KSand

I have heat damage so I am trying to rebuild my natural hair. I use aphogee 2-step every 6 weeks and the 2 min or ao gpb every other week. So far, so good. I am interested in trying Dudley DRC, but the $60 price tag scares me.

Krystle~Hime

Plain old organic whole yogurt! It saved my hair from breakage during my transition and works wonders on my natural hair :yep:

yogurt? !!!!!!!!!!
nice idea... :rolleyes:
so milk protein is enough for rebuild hair? I've always thought it was too light, not as egg, so not the same effectiveness.

Krystle~Hime

Don't ever, ever, EVA use heat unless you want to be combing out scrambled eggs. I forgot one time and rinsed with hot water - bad idea.

i did my first protein treatment with 2 eggs last sunday and was afraid to use saran wrap as usual(as I do for all my treatments) for not creating natural heat.
it was okay and luckily i've rinsed with COOOOL water.
but it was weird to do a treatment with no heat. I wonder the egg treatment had even penetrated at least.