NO heat challenge 1/1/12 to 1/1/13

Is it even possible to do a relaxer and then just let my hair air dry? (after washing it out of course LOL) I'd be interested in maybe a 1/2 year challenge. I'm not sure about a full year...that's like 365 days!

Is it even possible to do a relaxer and then just let my hair air dry? (after washing it out of course LOL) I'd be interested in maybe a 1/2 year challenge. I'm not sure about a full year...that's like 365 days!

Uh-oh! I forgot about that! Dang! Imma have to get creative. I think some ladies airdry their rollersets. Hmmmmm....

Phew! I'm in, but I need that hooded dryer for my aphogee 2-steps, else it wasn't going to fly. I was already planning to go a full year without heat anyway, so this is right up my alley. I'm just going to start early, as I don't think I'll be using any heat for the rest of this year as well.

I'm in! The last time I used heat was last New Years for a length check. I planned on blow drying this up coming New Years for my annual length check and dusting, but I can move it up Christmas - I need to update my siggy pic anyway.

ETA: just to confirm - we can use a steamer, right????

I know this challenge is going to kick my arse BUT I'm ready (well I will be ready for it by the time January comes around).

I'm in! The last time I used heat was last New Years for a length check. I planned on blow drying this up coming New Years for my annual length check and dusting, but I can move it up Christmas - I need to update my siggy pic anyway.

ETA: just to confirm - we can use a steamer, right????

Yep, steamers are fine!

Hey ladies!!! May I join this challenge?! I'm getting ready to braid it up on Saturday. Can't wait!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Je Ne Sais Quoi, OP are we allowed any passes? I pretty much have gone heat free, but I usually straighten my hair for DH either on his BD, NYE, or valentines day if we have plans. Also are steamers allowed?

Too strict for my blood.

I use the Steamer and the Hooded Dryer and when I do kinky twists I blow dry on medium. (I never use the pressing comb or flat iron.)

No Heat???? uh-uh We need some passes! Like one per quarter... or special occassions...

I'm in ladies.
The last time I used heat was for a rollerset last October, and I'll do another one again in November for a length check, so I think I can do another year after that. I'll use my Nov rollerset as my starting pic... I'm so excited... Great challenge OP. We can do it ladies!!! :)

Sent from my SPH-M920 using SPH-M920

Ladies the point of this challenge is to be free of heat for one year. If you need passes this challenge regrettably is not for you. the trick is finding alternative styles and working with your God given beautiful texture for the entire year :)

Steamers are allowed, blow dryers are not

Hell I'm in! Ya! My first challenge! My hair doesn't like flat irons/hair dryer anyway ( I keep getting crunchy poofy ends even on cool). I better get my hair trimmed in Dec then! When do you post the before picture and is there restrictions to what it has to be (like does it have to be a length check or at least show how long your hair is now)?

Hell I'm in! Ya! My first challenge! My hair doesn't like flat irons/hair dryer anyway ( I keep getting crunchy poofy ends even on cool). I better get my hair trimmed in Dec then! When do you post the before picture and is there restrictions to what it has to be (like does it have to be a length check or at least show how long your hair is now)?

Awesome :) yes, get prepared now (trims, products, if you want to straighten again before yhe challenge, hair candy, techniques, etc) so that come the first you are ready to go! I will start a new thread by the new year that we can post our before shots and daily, weekly, monthly check ins. Your photo does not need to be on straight hair, all I ask is that the style is similar for the final update.

We can do this ladies!!

This is an awesommmee challenge :grin::grin:

I'm definatelly In.:drunk::drunk:
I already stopped using heat for 4 months now I think i can go a whole year. *cross fingers*:look:

Seriously thinking about this. I've only used heat about 15 times this year and each time I've been regretful. When I went a month with no heat my hair looked 1000x better, both it's sheen and texture was absolutely amazing, so I'm sure I'd have something fantastic going If I could survive a whole year. I'm up for this challenge. 100%!!!

Last edited:
ok Im ready for this ...

I think I'll substitute blow drying on cool for air drying over night in banded twists or something like that. I'll have a couple months to find alternatives

I got my hair cut yesterday in preperation for this challenge and boy did it make a world of difference. 2-3 inches gone but I wasn't stressed or pressed. I can't wait to start this challenge.

i was thinking about this today. i think i will join this. I need to get myself a heating cap for my dc though.

also, don't know if it has been said... i didn't see the answer, but, are blow dryers on cool allowed? i know blow dryers (reg, heat, etc) isn't allowed, but is the cool setting fine to wick off the water quickly every now and then?

if not, i'm still in... just want to make sure i stay legit

Back