The Ultimate Hardcore No Heat Challenge 2013

Seamonster

I never officially joined this challenge, but I have been doing the Hardcore part. My hair hasn't seen heat since January 2nd of 2012. If I decide to straighten it, it will be later this year before Christmas so that's kind of why i didn't officially join as I have been doing this since last year. I will continue finger detangling, protective styling, and avoiding heat for as long as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Forever in Bloom Wow, you are doing great. Please feel free to update in our thread. We love pictures, tips, and monthly check ins. There are just a handful of us, but we support each other.

nakialovesshoes

nakialovesshoes

Where are you traveling to on your cruise?
SincerelyBeautiful - Nothing fancy - just going to the Bahamas with my mommy.

Getting braids was a fail. My scalp tensed up really bad & I couldn't take the pain. Halfway through I had her stop & I took them out. When I get back, I'm going to my regular stylist to get mini braids (w/o the extensions). I'll be in minibraids for the rest of the summer.

ManiiSweetheart

Showing my growth since installing this braids..22 days ago. I thank my MN mix and S-Curl!

SincerelyBeautiful

Been in senagalese twists for almost a month and my hair has grown a lot. I plan on taking them out here next week and clarifying and doing a protein treatment because the week following take down will be my 6 month post relaxer day! I have never stretched to 6 months so I'm ready to see results. I will continue with not using any heat Til final length check in December. Heck who knows...I may stretch til December and then texlax and flat iron at once!! Idk

PureSilver

I know y'all have forgotten about me but i'm still in this challenge. I cheated once and flat ironed, ain't never doing that again. I've been PS and tweaking my regimen as i discover interesting things that work for my hair like washing only with Baking Soda and not using shampoos anymore. In the mean time my hair is slowly growing (i don't feel like itis though) and i have slacked off a bit on my vitamins. All in all i'm committed to follow through to the end and i hope i can gain another 4'' by Dec 31st

SincerelyBeautiful

I know y'all have forgotten about me but i'm still in this challenge. I cheated once and flat ironed, ain't never doing that again. I've been PS and tweaking my regimen as i discover interesting things that work for my hair like washing only with Baking Soda and not using shampoos anymore. In the mean time my hair is slowly growing (i don't feel like itis though) and i have slacked off a bit on my vitamins. All in all i'm committed to follow through to the end and i hope i can gain another 4'' by Dec 31st

SUNSHINE BABY
I'm interested on this baking soda method? Could you give me more info please and TIA. I want to find an alternative to shampoo as well.

PureSilver

@SUNSHINE BABY
I'm interested on this baking soda method? Could you give me more info please and TIA. I want to find an alternative to shampoo as well.

SincerelyBeautiful
I use half gallon of water to three tablespoons baking soda (high heaps). The amount of baking soda I use really depends on how dirty my hair is or how much build up I have.

Separate and apart from that, I put my hair in six sections, in my hand or a small container I make a paste of a small amount of baking soda and water and apply it to my scalp along the partdr sections. I scrub/massage each section gently for half a minute then I let it sit on my hair as i work through the other sections, i then rinse each section with the half gallon baking soda and water mix I made previously. After working through all the sections I do a final rinse under the shower with plain water detangling as i work through each section seperately. Alot of persons use acv as their final rinse but I don't because I follow up with a DC protein Treatment which I make myself.

I find that after rinsing out my DC my hair is much softer, smoother and less frizzy. I think the baking soda helps to open the cuticles of my hair thus allowing the DC to better penetrate my strands. Rinsing with cold water should help to close the cuticles.

I hope this makes sense and was helpful, feel free to ask questions if you are unclear.

BonBon

LOL:look: I straightened a pencil sized piece of hair for length check. That may be cheating.

I actually can't wait till the end of the year now. Am so curious.

SincerelyBeautiful

Hey ladies ;) still not using heat. I'm currently braided in a beehive an underneath a wig. I figured this is my PS until the end of the year but I may just push til the end of winter. My plan is to get my beehive rebraided every month or two. I'm also implementing the deep moisture method to see how much I retain. I have been following the same regimen while in braids and plan to start back exercising as well to increase circulation and overall health. I hope I'm patient enough to keep this plan up lol! Hope you all are doing well!! :)

nakialovesshoes

Still haven't used a flat iron. I've used a blowdryer a couple of times to stretch my hair. I do want to see it flat ironed but not at this length. For some reason I'm not getting the growth that I usually get. I'm 2 years post my BC & I don't have 12 inches of hair, only 11. I've only had one trim since I've been natural & it wasn't even 1/2 inch.

If I do flat iron, it'll be either May or September of next year.

Seamonster

nakialovesshoes I hear you, I think I am not ready to straighten yet either, maybe next year, but I am getting better at stretching.

Here are my pictures of twist, twist out, and stretched twistout; going to upload a video soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20131023_145955.jpg
    IMG_20131023_145955.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20131027_161611.jpg
    IMG_20131027_161611.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20131028_204440.jpg
    IMG_20131028_204440.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

nakialovesshoes I hear you, I think I am not ready to straiten yet either, maybe next year, but I am getting better at stretching.

Here are my pictures of twist, twist out, and stretched twistout; going to upload a video soon.

Hey there lady. Glad to see you're "yet holding on" with the straightening. Just curious, what do you have on your twists on the 1st pic. Your hair looks identical to mine when I twist with my beloved Shea Moisture Curling Soufflé.

Seamonster

Hey there lady. Glad to see you're "yet holding on" with the straightening. Just curious, what do you have on your twists on the 1st pic. Your hair looks identical to mine when I twist with my beloved Shea Moisture Curling Soufflé.

It is a new company, I used Revise whipped shea butter, and kinky curly spritz to style my hair. I am giving away their product on my youtube channel.