The Ultimate Hardcore No Heat Challenge 2013

Seamonster

Hey ladies (and gents if any??)!

We are conditioned to think heat is a solution to our haircare styling and length check needs. During my current no heat challenge I have crossed the hair river, and grown in my ability to have healthy hair. I have come to think of my thick coiled wash and goes as attractive. Even preferring thick healthy hair to thin long hair.

Are you a heat abuser? It is hard to make these changes, I still need a team of no heat angels to help me continue. If you want the support of some no heat angels in 2013, join this challenge.

From now until jan 1st you will have time to ready your arsenal with products, tips and techniques that will help you get through the coming 365 days. I'm super excited about this, are you? We will do monthly updates to conquer issues as we proceed. I am mandating monthly style pictures to give us some ideas too.

Rules:
Must take and post before shot at challenge start
Must post a no heat style and update every month
Must post a picture of any heat cheats with an update on the condition of your ends.
Must take and post after shot at challenge end, and every time you use heat
No usage of blow dryers, hot combs, or flatirons.

Challenge Level 1 heat every three months
Challenge Level 2 heat every six months
Challenge Level 3 No Heat in 2013
Ultimate Challenge Protective Styling for the entire time of your challenge
Hardcore Challenge Finger combing and protective styling for the entire challenge

To Join the Challenge answer these questions
1. Are you doing challenge level 1 (heat every three months)
challenge level 2 (heat every six months)
challenge level 3 ( No heat in 2013)
1a Are you going hardcore, ultimate or doing the ultimate hardcore no heat challenge?
2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before?
3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat?
4. Do you know How to Stretch your hair without heat?
5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday?
5a. If not, can you commit to low manipulation styles throughout your challenge?
6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge?
7. Do you know how to do length checks without heat?
8. Post both a starting length and thickness picture. Pictures are Mandatory to be a member of this challenge
9. List your No Heat Regime

No Heat Style updates Monthly
Health of Hair Checks Last day of Months Listed, we will use these to share information and help one another. If someone post that they are having some issues please give them some tips to make the transition to no heat easier.

Monthly Update Questionaire
1. Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times?
2. If you haven't cheated, what's kept you honest and committed?
3. Are you reapping the benefits? If so, what have they been?
4. What valuable tips do you want to share?
5. Have you found a way to show length without heat?
6. Are you experiencing more tangles or knots? If not what are you doing to reduce knots and tangles?
7. Has your no heat regime changed?
8. Post a picture of your monthly no heat style

Length Checks
December
March
June
September
December

This challenge means that you may need to rely on styles such as buns, braids, twists, wash n gos, braid/twistouts, bantu knot outs, flexirods, flat twists, puffs, ponys, wigs, updos, fros, etc. and to show length you may have to band, etc. This is hardcore!

So, if you think you are up for the challenge? please either thank this post or add your name to this thread I'm excited! 2013 lets get it!!

Anyone can join the challenge at any time but the list will not be updated after December 31. Thanking this post and posting a current picture of your hair with questionnaire means you are a member of the no heat challenge. I recommend a trim at the start of the challenge to get rid of dry ends that will cause tangles while you attempt to learn no heat haircare.

Last edited:

Seamonster

List of Challengers

Ultimate Hardcore
seamonster UH3
aa9746 UH3
jesusislove1526 UH2
prettybyrd UH3
JessieLeleB UH3
ShawnC UH1

Ultimate
ManiiSweetheart U3
Tonto U3
toyas08 U3
Curlywurly10 U1 Sept End
SincerelyBeautiful U2
Rozlewis U1
Ijanei U1

Hardcore
SUNSHINE BABY H3
Lovingmywaves12 H3

No Heat
Danniquin C1
AlwaysNatural C1
alove15 C3
nakialovesshoes C3
kurlllz C2
Sholapie C1
Freckledface C1
GoodMernin C3
Evo-ny C2

Last edited:

Seamonster

1. I am going for the Ultimate Hardcore No Heat in 2013
2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before? Yes
3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat? Yes, I trim monthly
4. Do you know How to Stretch your hair without heat? Yes, I do
5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday? Yes

6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? Longer thick healthy hair with great scalp and ends. Also hoping to avoid set backs, and solidify my regime.
7. Do you know how to do length checks without heat? Yes
8. Post both a starting length and thickness picture. Pictures are Mandatory to be a member of this challenge
Longest Length Before Year End Trim

Thickness

Style Sugession

Baggy nightly
Wash EOD
Onion Mask EOD
Jump on all Bandwagons
Oil Junkie, Shea butter is my friend

Let's Get it in!

AtlantaJJ

I would like to know how to do length checks without heat.

This is a very good challenge, I'm going to give this challenge careful consideration. No heat for all of 2013 is a big commitment, but it would get me closer to my hair goals. :yep:

Thank you for posting this very well thought out challenge Seamonster

Forever in Bloom

Sounds right up my alley :yep:

I may join in December because I can't post the current length of my hair since I am in the HYH Challenge

ManiiSweetheart

This challenge is very tempting ... I usually don't sign up for challenges until closer to December but this seems perfect! Ill probably officially sign up when I get to a computer!

Seamonster

AtlantaJJ The easiest way to do it is in my original post, just pick a strand of hair and check it. It isn't as accurate as straightening the hair, but it does provide assurance of growth.

Others like to stretch their hair prior to checking a strand, and a few only check the length of their hair in a desired style. Example, if a person is only concerned about the length of their twist, or twistout, they will take a picture in that style at each length check.

I think twist are a more reliable gauge of hair growth than a twist out because twistouts get longer the more days they are stretched.

ManiiSweetheart

1. I'm in it to win it so straight to challenge level 3 ( No heat in 2013) !
1a Ultimate Challenge Protective Styling
2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before? Nope but i only use heat 5 times a year tops to why not
3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat? Yes as i usually do
4. Do you know How to Stretch your hair without heat? Yes
5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday? Yes
5a. If not, can you commit to low manipulation styles throughout your challenge? Yes
6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? Less SSKs and Split ends!
7. Do you know how to do length checks without heat? Yes i use pull tests
Length

thickness
Well does that picture show thickness too..if not ill take a better picture!
9. List your No Heat Regime (Updated 11/22/12)

Daily
MN scalp massage
Water + Moisturizer mist

Weekly
Shampoo - A mix of shampoos ..literally or Dove Oil therapy
DC
1/2 cup Unfiltered/Unrefined/Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Organic Raw Honey
1/2 Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk
1/2 Hass Avocado
1/2 Organic Banana

Water mist
Leave in - Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Hair Moisturizer
Oil moisturizer
Seal with Shea butter
Braid up/Twist up then undo in the morning and bun for the rest of the week.. Stays moisturized all week but i do apply more moisturizer to my edges since i feel like it gets a little dry mid week

Every 5/6 weeks
Protein treatment - Gelatin + Mane and Tail conditioner
Henna - Water + Unfiltered/Unrefined/Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk + Organic Raw Honey

Every 12/14 weeks
Jet Black hair dye

Last edited:

Seamonster

ManiiSweetheart The purpose of the picture that shows thickness is that you can use it to tell if your hair is getting thicker during our no heat updates. Sometimes the length is a little less noticeable, but the thickness is very obvious. Just trying to make sure we are encourages as we proceed. So it looks like a good picture for both to me.

Curlywurly10

Ohhh I'm really tempted to join! I'm on my own personal 1 year no heat challenge, I'm about 6 weeks in, I started in September. In terms of this challenge I guess I'm doing the ultimate challenge, no heat at all and protective styling the entire time. I want to join I just know that once I reach September 2013 I am going to want to straighten my hair every now and again to show off my length!! Hmmmm...

I will definitely be following this thread even if I don't join. Can't wait to see all your progress!

Seamonster

Curlywurly10 you could do the challenge number 1, and just go until September. The lady that started this years no heat challenge ended her challenge in October. It is all about support, and what is good for our hair.

Tonto

I’m in! I am so excited about that! Finally, I will have some support and people to keep me on track :drunk:

1a Are you going hardcore, ultimate or doing the ultimate hardcore no heat challenge?

I am doing the ultimate challenge
Not Yet.
Yes I do, at least three times a year or when needed
Yes. African Threading method and braids help me a lot with that.
5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday?
Yes
6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? Patience, length and more beautiful ends.
7.Do you know how to do length checks without heat?
Yes.
8.Post both a starting length and thickness picture. Pictures are Mandatory to be a member of this challenge
I will post a picture in January.
Every two weeks, I will wash my hair with some Indian powders, deep condition my hair, leave in and pomade/oil/butter and put either braids in my hair or thread it. A day later, I will re-thread my hair and the day after that, I will bun my hair and leave it until the next wash. I will oil my ends every other day and use my leave in (water based) twice a week. I might do braids too, because sometimes I just get lazy and don’t want to wash my hair while loose :nono::look::grin:

toyas08

To Join the Challenge answer these questions
Challenge level 2
Hardcore
No, but I rarely use heat so i figure I could finally join a challenge I can stick to.
This will be a first because I never trimmed curly hair before:look:
Twist, braids, I want to try treading
Yes, my hair is almost always off my shoulders and ends are tucked
5a. If not, can you commit to low manipulation styles throughout your challenge?
Length and thickness:yep:
Yes and with a measuring tape

Cowash 2-3x a week
Wash when needed
mini twist/braids
Moisturize and seal when needed

image-3207895631.jpg

Failed flat ironing from last week

image-2643953493.jpg

Last edited:

Curlywurly10

Seamonster said:
Curlywurly10 you could do the challenge number 1, and just go until September. The lady that started this years no heat challenge ended her challenge in October. It is all about support, and what is good for our hair.

Oh ok great! In that case I'm in!

1. Are you doing challenge level 1 etc:
Challenge 1

I am on a 1 year personal no heat challenge that started September 2012 so I will go completely without heat until September 2013 and after that date I may use heat now and again but will be here to support all you lovely ladies!!

3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat? Yes

Yes

Yes

6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? Thickness and to retain length

Yes

8. Post both a starting length and thickness picture.

Not sure either of these pictures shows thickness but I will post new pics in January

I will deep condition twice a week, shampoo only once a week (with pre-poo), co-wash at all other times. Use leave in and then EVOO/EVCO/JBCO to seal. Also I will use these oils to massage my scalp every other evening. Protein treatment once a month. I usually wash my hair at night and then either do twist or braids, then wear a twist out or braid out in a banana clip the next day. If it gets frizzy I spray with water, AVJ and EVOO mix and put in a bun.

Attachments

• image-2536475177.jpg
    image-2536475177.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image-267576302.jpg
    image-267576302.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 56

Seamonster

Forever in Bloom the more the merrier, looking forward to your big reveal!
Curlywurly10 toyas08 ManiiSweetheart Your pictures all look lovely, this is a testament to the power of reducing our dependence upon heat.
Tonto welcome, looking forward to your pictures
Let's get it in! Welcome to the hardcore no heat challenge, we are going to help each other to be successful at room temperature styling! :yep:

aa9746

1. Challenge Level 3 No Heat in 2013 & Hardcore Challenge Finger combing and protective styling for the entire challenge
2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before? Yes
3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat? Yes, dust
5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday? Yes, i do this now
6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? length
7. Do you know how to do length checks without heat? yes
8. Post both a starting length and thickness picture. Pictures are Mandatory to be a member of this challenge Pic. in siggy, I will probably take another pic. in Dec.
9. List your No Heat Regime. Wash & condition 1x weekly using Gro Aut products, also using OCT 2x monthly (more if i replenish my stash), I always air dry, my ps style is braids under my wig

Danniquin

I'm so addicted to heat, but I want to try...

1. I am doing Challenge level 1 (heat every three months)
1a Are you going hardcore, ultimate or doing the ultimate hardcore no heat challenge? I don't think I can commit to either of those yet!
2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before? Nope!
3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat? I rarely trim my ends, but when I do, I'll probably use heat.
4. Do you know How to Stretch your hair without heat? I'm doing good so far...
5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday? I can't :look:
5a. If not, can you commit to low manipulation styles throughout your challenge? This I think I can do!
6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? I hope to gain healthier, nicer looking hair and of coarse length! Also I hope to break my habit of destroying my hair with heat!
8. Post both a starting length and thickness picture. Pictures are Mandatory to be a member of this challenge The most recent in I have is from July, can I just post one in January?
9. List your No Heat Regime I don't have a solid one, but on my personal no heat challenge, I DC once a week, Co-wash as needed and M&S everyday.

AlwaysNatural

1. Are you doing challenge level 1 (heat every three months) I can commit to this, as I will probably occasionally need to blow dry on cool to have my hair cornrowed while I wig it out.
2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before? No
3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat? Yes
5a. If not, can you commit to low manipulation styles throughout your challenge? Yes
6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? Length as I gradually cut off heat damaged ends.
7. Do you know how to do length checks without heat? Pull hair taught

Wash & DC once a week if hair is "open" or "out"

If I ever use "heat" which would probably be to get my hair cornrowed it will be the blowdryer on cool/warm

Wash my hair in the cornrows every 2 weeks so that I don't need to re-braid and use heat again and keep em in for like 5 weeks at a time under my wig cap

Attachments

• 76574_10152099427710551_246874830_n.jpg
    76574_10152099427710551_246874830_n.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 456260_10152095274465551_969323441_o.jpg
    456260_10152095274465551_969323441_o.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 98

AlwaysNatural

AlwaysNatural I didn't know that blow drying on cool could relax or detangle the hair. Is it your technique? How straight does it get the hair?

:welcome:

The Cool-Warm option (the one just above cool) or second setting, on low is usually what I use and im fine as long as I steamed my hair prior the moisture makes the blow out come out straightish but with volume.

jesusislove1526

Challenge Level 2, however I do a blow out in May, and a flat iron in November, so I hope this is the right one to select.
Ultimate Hardcore no heat challenge
Yes I have
Yes
Yes, I do it every time in between protective styles.
Yes
Length
Yes
I will post a starting picture at the end of December, but in my signature there is a current picture with my hair stretched in the back.
cowash 2x per week [Suave Naturals, VO5 Moisture Milks, or White Rain Ocean Mist Hydrating]
DC 1x per week [cholesterol]
protective styles only, primarily mini braids
clarify 1x every 4-5 weeks [Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, VO5 Kiwi & Lime Clarifying Conditioner, or Suave Clarifying Conditioner]
finger detangling
GHE 3x per week
LOC 2x per week
low manipulation
air drying, except for a once a year blowout [May]

Last edited:

alove15

1. challenge level 3(No heat 2013)

yes. I did a summer no heat challenge

yes, I plan to dust my ends ever so often. Usually while in twists.

4. Do you know How to Stretch your hair without heat?Most definitely. I always stretch my hair in 15-18 twists after washing

No

yes. I alternate between twist outs and twist out buns

Nicer ends, no heat damage

yes, pull tests

image-40586582.jpg

image-3019207246.jpg

9. List your No Heat Regimen

Weekly:
-Cowash,ACV Rinse, or Cleanse
-DC
-Apply a leave in (Oyin hair dew, Curl junkie Rehab, etc)
-Seal with coconut oil or Oyin Pomade
-Airdry in twists

Daily:
-wear twist out or twistout bun
-Moisturize(water or leave-in) and Seal(coconut oil) nightly
-Sleep with satin scarf

Monthly:
-Henna or Curl Junkie Repair Me treatment

Last edited: