Oil Vs Water Infusion Of Herbs For Hair

abioni

I noticed all the recipes use oil for infusion but I want to use water because it will be easier to apply (spray) to my hair. Which one is better for penetration on scalp?

My goal is to make an infusion with the following ingredients
MSM (not soluble in oil but it is in water)
Funugreek
Amla and some other Ayurveda herbs

Aggie

Well it depends on if you have the time to make the herbal infusions more often since they are prone to rancidity much more quickly.

Oil infusions can take hours to days and even weeks to make while water is quicker and so much simpler too. With water, you can boil the herbs, allow to cool, refrigerate, and use within a week to I'd say 10 days max. You can spray this daily on hair and scalp.

The oil does not require refrigeration and will last a little longer especially if you use some sort of preservative like grapeseed extract or vitamin e to extend the shelf life to about 1 - 3 months, maybe even longer.

I have used both and truthfully I prefer the herbal tea rinses over the oils. They are quick and easily absorbed, yet still yield great results.

Plus like you said, the MSM is water soluble but it's more effective if you add
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP) to it.

Just a note to add - if I don't use the herbal tea rinse fast enough as a spray before it goes bad, I simply use it as a rinse that I pour over my hair in the shower. I do not rinse it off, but simply let it dry in my hair and go about my day.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
In addition to the other comments, I would add that a benefit oil has over water with infusions is the potency of the herb’s properties. Just like how some produce is better consumed raw depending on what sort of health benefits you’re hoping for, some herbs are optimized by longer infusions or gentle heat. Infusing herbs in water without heat I have found decreases shelf life and potency. It also takes longer for water to absorb herbal properties without heat.
I use oil and water infusions but tend to use oils more because they have longer shelf lives and mine tend to be more potent than water infusions.
On the other hand, water infusions are definitely faster, and more soluble/multipurpose. I would use an herbal “tea” as a base for leave-ins, DIY DCs, DIY shampoo, and DIY treatments. It’s very easy to add a little to many things without compromising it much more than how adding water would. It is also a lot easier to overload on oil infusions because they don’t absorb as readily as water ones.
My preference for water or oil infusions on my scalp depends on what I’m trying to accomplish and the schedule of applications. The more frequently I want to use it, the more likely I would choose water infusion, to limit buildup. If the infusion will be washed away shortly after use, like with a prepoo, I would go with oil infusion— because the oil would require less prep, have a longer shelf life, and wouldn’t be at risk for buildup.
HTH!

Last edited:

abioni

Is there a reason why warm or hot water can't be used for the infusion?
How long do you leave the herbs in the water for?

In addition to the other comments, I would add that a benefit oil has over water with infusions is the potency of the herb’s properties. Just like how some produce is better consumed raw depending on what sort of health benefits you’re hoping for, some herbs are optimized by longer infusions or gentle heat. Infusing herbs in water without heat I have found decreases shelf life and potency. It also takes longer for water to absorb herbal properties without heat.
I use oil and water infusions but tend to use oils more because they have longer shelf lives and mine tend to be more potent than water infusions.
On the other hand, water infusions are definitely faster, and more soluble/multipurpose. I would use an herbal “tea” as a base for leave-ins, DIY DCs, DIY shampoo, and DIY treatments. It’s very easy to add a little to many things without compromising it much more than how adding water would. It is also a lot easier to overload on oil infusions because they don’t absorb as readily as water ones.
My preference for water or oil infusions on my scalp depends on what I’m trying to accomplish and the schedule of applications. The more frequently I want to use it, the more likely I would choose water infusion, to limit buildup. If the infusion will be washed away shortly after use, like with a preppy, I would go with oil infusion— because the oil would require less prep, have a longer shelf life, and wouldn’t be at risk for buildup.
HTH!

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
-You can use warm/hot water for infusion. That’s basically what any tea is.
-Spoilage is more of an issue with water infusions.
-Sometimes, depending on use and potency, not using heat is more beneficial for the herb/infusion (hence oil).
-Infusion time depends on quality of herbs and intended potency. Better herbs=less needed time; more time=stronger infusions.

Is there a reason why warm or hot water can't be used for the infusion?
How long do you leave the herbs in the water for?

abioni

Thank you! I plan to use warm water and leave it for a day or do it like I did the oil infusion (put the jar in boiling hot water) but for a day instead of several days like I did with the oil infusion.
I have Optiphen Plus preservative. I might use that. I also plan to add glycerin and aloe vera gel.

-You can use warm/hot water for infusion. That’s basically what any tea is.
-Spoilage is more of an issue with water infusions.
-Sometimes, depending on use and potency, not using heat is more beneficial for the herb/infusion (hence oil).
-Infusion time depends on quality of herbs and intended potency. Better herbs=less needed time; more time=stronger infusions.