ORS olive oil relaxer. yay or nay?

ORS olive oil relaxer

• Total voters

honeybearmommy32

I don't know if it was the ORS or the fact that i changed from Motions to ORS, but i've got a LOT of shedding after the ORS normal relaxer.
I did the Aphogee 2step treatment this weekend and so far so good. No more shedding. Wish i knew about this 2 step treatment 6 weeks ago,

i've lost a lot of GIRTH and my hair is really thin now. I don't wanna big chop, but i'm afraid the shedding leaves me no choice. or sew it up for 6 months, then cut the bad parts off the bottom....

Ms Kain

There are 2 ORS relaxers so I'm kinda confused on which one we are reviewing. If it's about the Organic Root Salon (lye) Professional Relaxer then I'd have to say that I Looovveee it! Because of the olive oil that's already in it, it's slow to burn, easy to both textlax and relax, leaves your hair moisturized with a healthy shine! As for the Organic Root Stimulator ( No lye formula)
I wasn't feelin' it. Made me think that I might as well use Motions or something. :-/

Last edited:

cocoagirl

Hmm now I'm confused. Most people gave raving reviews but those that nay'd are concerning me. I have been severely underprocessed for the past 2 years using lye so I wanted to try the ORS no-lye. I have very fine hair and it seems to be a bit resistant/ that or the lye just ain't ish! Anywho for those that used the no-lye and were underprocessed, do you think it was the ORS or the application that left it underprocessed?
Also what is the difference between the No-lye and the professional No-lye?

Ms Kain

Hmm now I'm confused. Most people gave raving reviews but those that nay'd are concerning me. I have been severely underprocessed for the past 2 years using lye so I wanted to try the ORS no-lye. I have very fine hair and it seems to be a bit resistant/ that or the lye just ain't ish! Anywho for those that used the no-lye and were underprocessed, do you think it was the ORS or the application that left it underprocessed?
Also what is the difference between the No-lye and the professional No-lye?

Hi Cocoagirl,

Even though I have never been attacked for my comments so far, I feel compelled to put in a disclaimer that this is just my opinion :grin: about what's going on with this brand of relaxers.

From what I know, there's two kinds of ORS relaxers. There is ORS’s Organic Root Stimulator Regular No Lye Relaxer that comes in the box and you can usually find it at places like Walgreen's or Walmart and then there's their Lye counterpart which is still called ORS but it stands for Organic Root Salon Professional Creme Relaxer. You can find that in BSSs or regular salons and it comes in a jar. I have never seen a professional No Lye product from this company so look at the professional one that you talked abotu and read the front at the bottom. It's possible that it actually has lye in it but it's in small letters.

As for experience,I haven't used the no-lye ORS but I have used Lye relaxer and experienced underprocessing too. However, even though the lye and the no lye aren’t the same, I'm thinking that situation may still be the same.

I took the Organic Root Salon Professional Creme Relaxer (the one with lye in it) with me to the salon and had my hairdresser apply this relaxer twice. Each time it came out absolutely flawless! When she was out of town I went to another hairdresser and again I gave her the professional lye relaxer and she did not miss a beat either. Then for some strange reason I decided that even though I failed years ago at doing self relaxing, I felt like I should be able to do it myself so after watching my hairdresser and reading the forums I decided to try self relaxing again.

Big mistake. :nono:

I tried to work as fast as I could to cover is much ground as possible but it seemed like I was running out of time. That didn't make sense because my hairdresser didn't seem to have that problem. I also thought that I started in the right place (the coarsest part of my hair) and smoothed it pretty well but I soon found out it was still underprocessed in certain areas. As a result it immediately looked like I hadn't put a relaxer in at all and my roots were even coarser than they had been before!

Now looking back I see that the reason it failed is because I wasn't able to apply the relaxer as fast as my stylist did and it takes a certain amount of smoothing that I obviously didn’t give it. Yes, I did everything from starting at the crown, doing small sections and going back and smoothing it but I don't think I did as good a job as someone who could look directly down at my hair. Reason being, I also relaxed my daughter's hair that same day with the ORS Professional w/ Lye and her hair came out a lot better than mine and I know that I applied hers faster and did a better job at smoothing hers than I did mine.

All that to say that it's probably the same thing is going on with the ORS No Lye relaxer or any relaxer for that matter. I think that how it processes on your hair has a great deal to do with the application and the smoothing so it's just as possible that the reason why you were underprocessed with Lye relaxers may also be because of the application and the smoothing. Try taking your relaxer to a hairdresser just one time and see how well it comes out. If it comes out well then chances are it is the application. I hope that makes sense.:perplexed

cocoagirl

^Ms Kain, thx girl for your detailed response! The sad thing is that all the underprocessing was at the hands of professionals, in a salon setting.. which is why I've been jumping from stylist to stylist b/c they have not been smoothing the relaxer through long enough. This time around I am going to have the sylist smooth it thru, WELL..if I have to put my hands in it and smooth it my da&n self! lol- the way I want it to be smoothed! lol. But I also think that for me the lye isn't working well, I don't even know anymore to tell you the truth. All's I know is I need to get all these textures in my head in check...and smooth...
Regarding the no-lye vs pro no-lye, this is what I saw on ORS's site pro no lye and regular no-lye. So you see the Pro one says no-lye on the box and I can't read the fine print..I haven't gone to the BSS yet to look for myself.
Anywho has anyone used the Pro version? I can't recall from this thread anyone specifically mentioning using one over the other so I assumed everyone was using the box version (non-pro or whatever)..

Ms Kain

^Ms Kain, thx girl for your detailed response! The sad thing is that all the underprocessing was at the hands of professionals, in a salon setting.. which is why I've been jumping from stylist to stylist b/c they have not been smoothing the relaxer through long enough. This time around I am going to have the sylist smooth it thru, WELL..if I have to put my hands in it and smooth it my da&n self! lol- the way I want it to be smoothed! lol. But I also think that for me the lye isn't working well, I don't even know anymore to tell you the truth. All's I know is I need to get all these textures in my head in check...and smooth...
Regarding the no-lye vs pro no-lye, this is what I saw on ORS's site pro no lye and regular no-lye. So you see the Pro one says no-lye on the box and I can't read the fine print..I haven't gone to the BSS yet to look for myself.
Anywho has anyone used the Pro version? I can't recall from this thread anyone specifically mentioning using one over the other so I assumed everyone was using the box version (non-pro or whatever)..

Whoa! I just saw the link you posted on the professional No Lye formula. Gurl, I have never seen that before! Wow! I didn't even know that there was such a thing as Professional No Lye Formulas in a box! For some reason that seems like an oxymoron to me!!! :lol:LOL! But anyway, WTF? An actual stylist hasn't been smoothing your relaxer? :nono: That's just crazy! And you're paying them money too? :brucelee: Usually stylists get that part down to a science! I know of stylists who smooth like they are trying to smooth the hair off of my head but these folks aren't even doing half that? Insane!

But I wish you luck in getting your textures under control and if I see anything or hear anything that might help I'll let you know. :peace_sm:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I use it to self texlax and it is really mild. I use the regular formula. No burning at all and I am pleased with the results.

mamaore

I used ORS no-lye medium for the first last weekend. It was very mild, No burning sensation at all. I left it on for the max time and my hair was severely underprocessed; same result as when I used the MBB lye medium last October.

Anyone, I'm kind of okay with some curls, I can usually get the hair to straigten tying down my scarf.

The only thing I like is that my hair feels very strong... too strong in fact. I hated teh limp feeling after MBB. Will see how I feel about it after 4 weeks.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
My daughter used this for her first relaxer a few days ago. Very pleased with the results.
We didn't want bone straight.

NaiyaAi

I used to really love this relaxer because it was so gentle on my hair, but I'm low porosity and my relaxers take a long time to process so once I found something that was just as gentle and just as cheap, but processed quicker, I stopped using ORS.