PHOTO REQUEST 2: Plz post braid photos - TIA!!!

texasqt

Ladies -

I'm really considering braiding my hair to help jump start my transition (again) but I'm lost as to what braid style I want to try. Please answer the following questions:

1. Post your picture of your hair in a braided style
2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any?
3. How long does the style usually last?
4. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself?
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids?
6. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking?

I know this will help me make a decision. Thanks in advance ladies!!!

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

Good morning!
I think everyone is in "relaxer vs. Drano" give em a minute!!!

OK - I have a Braiding Bible! I will be Back with it!:yep:

Lucky's Mom

1. What type of braid hair was used?

I use Rasta Afri...........

2. How long does the style usually last?

6 to 7 weeks. I cannot keep them in longer....

3. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself?

I do my own Braids....After a major setback.... :(

4. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids?

In the past - I did Frequent washing/ Spraying of homemade moisture...

Now I use Ayruvedic powders only in Braids. It is wonderful. Look up (Cherie's Method) I also DC, and do all that I would do out of braids.
5. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking?

I don't braid tight - nor do use tons of hair on the edges. It isn't that important. Gel works well. My edges did not DIE due to braids. They died due to Relaxers... But of course that is another story...:pop:

Attachments

• versary2006UniversalStudios006-vi[1].jpg
    versary2006UniversalStudios006-vi[1].jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 124
  • versary2006UniversalStudios009-vi[1].jpg
    versary2006UniversalStudios009-vi[1].jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 123
  • versary2006UniversalStudios010-vi[1].jpg
    versary2006UniversalStudios010-vi[1].jpg
    71 KB · Views: 143
  • baggy in braids 002.jpg
    baggy in braids 002.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 144
  • hair june and july 019.jpg
    hair june and july 019.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

texasqt

Good morning!
I think everyone is in "relaxer vs. Drano" give em a minute!!!

OK - I have a Braiding Bible! I will be Back with it!:yep:

Relaxer vs. Drano!!! OMG! I need to read that!!!

Are you only interested on info about braided extensions?

Really any braided style but I'm limited on length so I will have to add extensions. Pictures too please :grin:

texasqt

Now I use Ayruvedic powders only in Braids. It is wonderful. Look up (Cherie's Method) I also DC, and do all that I would do out of braids.

I don't braid tight - nor do use tons of hair on the edges. It isn't that important. Gel works well. My edges did not DIE due to braids. They died due to Relaxers... But of course that is another story...:pop:

I LOVE IT!!! The are so neat to have done them on your own! How long did it take you to do this braid style?

trendsetta25

Ok these pics were taken two weeks after i got them done so they are not as fresh....
1. What type of braid hair was used? synthetic $1 hair from the bss
2. How long does the style usually last? i kept it in for a month
3. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? i did them myself...took me 8hrs!!!!
4. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? i kept the same regi.....

My Regimen
Monday: Apply MT/OCT/Castor Oil/Coconut Oil Mix to scalp
Tuesday: Spray Glycerin/Rosewater/Tea Tree Oil/Jojoba Oil Mix as a moisturizer (if needed)
Wednesday: Apply MT/OCT/Castor Oil Mix to scalp
Thursday: Spray Glycerin/Rosewater/Tea Tree Oil/Jojoba Oil Mix as a moisturizer (if needed)
Friday: Apply MT/OCT/Castor Oil Mix to scalp
Saturday:
1. After warm conditioner to hair for 1hr

2. Rinse with cool water and shampoo with Garlic Shampoo
3. Wash with Aphogee Shampoo and rinse
4. Apply ACV (leave on for 5 min) and rinse
5. DC with (NTM, Emergencia, Deep Conditioning Mask, and EVOO mix) which i warm up in the microwave for 30 secs and left the conditioner in for 45 minute
6. Rinse with cold water then run hair under iced cold water for 15 seconds
7. Spray moisturizer mix (Glycerin/Rosewater/Tea Tree Oil/Jojoba Oil Mix) and Aphogee Leave-In Conditioner
8. let hair air dry
5. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking? i dont braid the hair to tight and always wore a silk scarf.

i've also attached pictures of my new growth.

after a month

Lucky's Mom

:grin:GOWWWWGeous Braids!!!

Ok these pics were taken two weeks after i got them done so they are not as fresh....
3. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? i did them myself...took me 8hrs!!!!
4. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? i kept the same regi.....
My Regimen
Tuesday: Spray Glycerin/Rosewater/Tea Tree Oil/Jojoba Oil Mix as a moisturizer (if needed)
Thursday: Spray Glycerin/Rosewater/Tea Tree Oil/Jojoba Oil Mix as a moisturizer (if needed)
Saturday:
5. DC with (NTM, Emergencia, Deep Conditioning Mask, and EVOO mix) which i warm up in the microwave for 30 secs and left the conditioner in for 45 minute
7. Spray moisturizer mix (Glycerin/Rosewater/Tea Tree Oil/Jojoba Oil Mix) and Aphogee Leave-In Conditioner
8. let hair air dry
5. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking? i dont braid the hair to tight and always wore a silk scarf.

after a month

msmills2U

Trendsetta I just went back to the braid regimen and I really like yours.......(stealing!)
thaks so much!
lol

chosen07

Post your picture of your hair in a braided style
2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any? 100% kanekalon (brand name-Braid Sweet); now I have kinky twists- afro kinky hair from the Janet collection
3. How long does the style usually last?rope twists lasted about 4 weeks before i went to get the edges cleaned up..then I kept it in for another 3 weeks- total of 7 weeks but i could have gone for 8-9 weeks easy. I have had the kinky twists in now for 3 weeks and the edges need to be redone. this is really because my hair is much shorter and natural so the ends are making the braids look fuzzy...:sad:
4. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? someone else did them -both times
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? rope twists: I washed my scalp by putting condish in applicator bottle with a touch of water and spurting directly on my scalp. then I would lather/scrub my scalp, and repeat with pure water to rinse. I did that once a week. i also sprayed with Oyins Juices and Berries but not regularly-this was before I knew what I know now about hair care. now, with kinky twists, I spritz my hair with something (water-based moisturizer) every other day, and I also, at least once a week, take the strands around the edges (which dry out the fastest) and rub Oyin's whipped pudding on those strands where my hair is. I still use the applicator bottle to clean my scalp and this time, because I know a bit better, I also rubbed Giovanni's leave in to all of the strands after I rinsed my hair on wash day.
6. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking? I try not to pull my braids in tight styles. I also made it very clear to the lady that braided that i ddn't want them in tight and she did an excellent job honoring my wishes. my personal guideline, if I can feel my hair being pulled, then I find the braid and loosen it. i.e. I shouldn't feel my hair/braids anymore than I do when its just hanging on my shoulders. before time, I would just 'suck it up' and move on for a cute style!

the pictures below are of the rope twists which was in Oct-Dec 2008. my sister had my camera for the past 2.5 weeks and now that I have it back, i don't think my braids look neat enough to be 'documented'. ;)

Attachments

• rope twists.front.JPG
    rope twists.front.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 73
  • rope twists.top.JPG
    rope twists.top.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 117

Murjani

2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any? Janet Marley Braid in 1B/350
3. How long does the style usually last? Not sure I only kept them up a week cause I got bored
4. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourselfI did them myself. It was the 1st time I have ever braided my hair
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids?See #3
6. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking? See #3

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1879.jpg
    IMG_1879.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 108

Jenibo

^^ Cute! Can't believe you went through the trouble of putting them in and they only lasted a week

Mook's hair

Wet n Wavy - Human Hair
Brand Name: Sensationnel (PREMIUM NOW)
It is a high end brand. I had some extra spending money so I decided to go for the better brand. Plus, I'm not paying for labor. I really like this hair.
2. How long does the style usually last? i kept it in for 2 months
3. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? i did them myself...I got a little help from my friend.
4. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? I follow the Crown & Glory technique using diluted Infusium spray and African Royale spray.

These are my minibraids. (Not micros, micros are too small and cause too much damage. This is a safe size that still gives the same look.

This is the precaution I took with my nape.

glamazon386

I'm really considering braiding my hair to help jump start my transition (again) but I'm lost as to what braid style I want to try. Please answer the following questions:

1. Post your picture of your hair in a braided style. There's one in my siggy. These are really the only braids I like.
2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any? Synthetic Kanekalon Braiding Hair.3. How long does the style usually last? I usually leave mine in about 6 weeks but they can last anywhere from 8 to 12.
4. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? I went to a shop.
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? I don't have one. I just wash them when they feel dirty and spray them with spray should they get itchy.
6. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking? I don't get it braided tight.

MRJ1972

Ladies -

I am transitioning my daughter with braids...No photo's available..sorry
Tell us what type of hair was used, if any? Beverly Johnson kankelon
How long does the style usually last? So far 2 weeks, I am pushing for 6

Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? Someone else, but I will braid them on the next go round, because she used that darn brown gel!!!:wallbash:..My mom took her, so I didnt know until I got home :perplexed

What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? Infusium 23 and braid spray, tie down daily

What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking..I make sure she is not pulling the hair too tightly when she does her ponytail...

MRJ1972

Wet n Wavy - Human Hair
Brand Name: Sensationnel (PREMIUM NOW)
It is a high end brand. I had some extra spending money so I decided to go for the better brand. Plus, I'm not paying for labor. I really like this hair.
2. How long does the style usually last? i kept it in for 2 months
3. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? i did them myself...I got a little help from my friend.
4. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? I follow the Crown & Glory technique using diluted Infusium spray and African Royale spray.

These are my minibraids. (Not micros, micros are too small and cause too much damage. This is a safe size that still gives the same look.

This is the precaution I took with my nape.

Your hair looks great!!! I will definitely try this style on my daughter when she gets out for the summer so I can take my time....

dlewis

Looks great. I want to try braids. I gonna go for it in June.

Kiki82

My Regimen
Saturday:
8. let hair air dry

after a month

Wow this is so beautiful...girl ya braids are so neat.....

Sequoia

1. Post your picture of your hair in a braided style Pic Below.
2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any? Expressions (think it's kanakelon hair)
3. How long does the style usually last? Usually 8-12 weeks
4. Did someone else. do them or did you do them yourself? Got someone to do them
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? I wash every 2 weeks and co wash in-between as needed, DC with every wash and sometimes leave a little diluted con in for extra moisture. I use a homemade spritz of water/glycerin/a little bit of conditioner or aloe vera juice/glycerin/water.
I redo the edges myself every 2 weeks or so and try to make sure there isn't too much hair on each braid. I also make sure that i don't pull my hair tight when it's in a ponytail.

HTH

Nonie

www.hisandher.com water wave regular. The weave hair was sent by mistake so I cut out the track part and used it. Length used 28" to get 14 inch braids.

I plan to wear them for at least a year.

I did them myself.

Shampoo and condition twice a week. One of those times will involve a DC with or without heat. I don't use any products besides those I use during the wash (shampoo and conditioner). No braid spray. I redo the braids one at a time as needed and as time allows throughout their reign in my head. I baggy--or should say, I SHOULD baggy--nightly. (I haven't been very good about baggying lately. *shameface* )

I never let the braids go for a minute without redoing once they get loose. Down the road, I might take the extensions out and just wear my own hair as bangs to give the hairline a break.

ToyToy

Here are my braids. I had them put in last week.

Tell us what type of hair was used, if any?
Just the normal Xpressions Kanekalon. I treated it with ACV two days before braiding. This eliminates the irritation I normally experience.

Usually about 6 weeks. I plan to keep these in for eight.

Someone did them for me.

I shampoo once weekly and spray with braid spray daily. I also use a bit of serum on the length to give it a bit of shine.

I make sure I don't pull them tightly in a ponytail. I'm not good at braiding my own hair, so I this is my only measure. I haven't had any problems with that, though. HTH

Attachments

• IMG_1066_B.jpg
    IMG_1066_B.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

lilsparkle825

on myself, i have done kinky twists and senegalese twists; on my sister (pics in fotki) i have done yarn twists, kinky twists, box braids, senegalese twists, and micros.
yarn twists -- bernat crochet yarn, black
kinky twists -- janet marley, 1b/33
box braids -- motown tress kanekalon, 1b and 4
senegalese twists -- motown tress kanekalon, 1b for her, 4 for me
micros -- "equal" weaving hair in 1b, i just cut it off the track (used part as a sew-in)

a month to 6 weeks...the senegalese twists lasted just shy of 4 weeks because i wanted to cowash daily
all me...self taught from LHCF, fotki and YT
braid spray, av juice and glycerin, megatek in the parts of the kinky twists, weekly or every other week shampoo and DC...senegalese twists i just sprayed them every other night and wore a scarf, nothing else
braid/twist loosely...braid all of them at the roots....don't make them extra long/heavy

MsEllie

Thank you for this info - I might look into braiding my hair but I want to do it myself - no shop for me...