PHOTO REQUEST 2: Plz post braid photos - TIA!!!

TemiLnd

1. Post your picture of your hair in a braided style
Below
2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any?

Expressions - 3/4 pounds
3. How long does the style usually last?

I can keep my braids anywhere from 1-3months. Depends on how I feel. Conrows 3-4 weeks
4. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself?

Do my own singles - 10 hours over a few days
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids?

http://journals.fotki.com/TemiLnd/Braidregimen/
6. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking?
Don't do them tight!!!

Treebraidingsideview-vi.jpg
Captured2001010100093-vi.jpg
P7190031-vi.jpg
P7190034-vi.jpg
DSC00541-vi.jpg

ftiffreneee

1. What type of braid hair was used?

Not sure of the brand but it was definently kinky hair

2. How long does the style usually last?

8 weeks but I have kept mine in for 12 weeks before with no breakage and lots of growth but I will only keep mine in 2 months at a time.

3. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself?

I went to a Hair braiding shop4. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids?

I just got my braids in so right now, but what I have done so far is to apply my Surge spray along with essential oils to the edges to keep them from becoming dry and popping. I plan to wash every Friday using the no shampoo method becaue i don't want to ontend with any buildup. I basically plan to keep it moisturized with the Surge, essential oils with Green tea, my MT and sit back and watch.:yep:

5. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking?
I keep my braids moisturized to keep them from popping and drying out. I pay special attention to those edges baby..no bald edges over here:nono:

I explained to my braider precisely what I wanted..to make the edges bigger and not really tight. She complied, so she got her payment and everybody's happy even my edges.:grin:

Attachments

• May 7 2009 007.jpg
    May 7 2009 007.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 74

texasqt

Bumping...:bump:
Thanks ladies! You are awesome!
My plan is to braid my hair during the memorial day weekend so wish me luck!

MyAngelEyez~C~U

tiffanyoneal

2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any? Pony hair, human wet and wavy hair and afo ....something for the kinky twist.
3. How long does the style usually last? I keep mine in for 4 months.
4. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? Someone else
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids?Keep it simple. Spray braids with Scurl and seal with coconut oil and a little chi. Use megatek every other day on scalp. Wash and condition once a week. Co wash once, sometimes twice a week. Deep condition once a week.
6. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking? I always take my edges out and just swoop some other braids across them.

I hated these last braids! I had it swooped like that in the front because she had braided my hair so tight in the front.

Last edited:

Demi27

In my avatar
Janet body wave
About 6 weeks or longer
I do them myself.
I wash and condition my hair once a week.
Every night, I spray Nu-Gro on my scalp and use a moisturizer on the length of the braids (like Wave Nouveau). Then I put mousse on and make 4 large conrows before putting my scarf on. This way, the braids are wavy along the entire length of the braid and not just the ends (essentially a braid-out on braids. LOL).

In the morning I take the braids out, spray some gloss on it and walk out the door.

I rebraid the edges (the really sensitive part) about once a week (normally while I'm watching TV) and I make sure not to cause tension on the hair.

Make sure to post pictures when you're finished!

Demi27

1. What type of braid hair was used?
Wet n Wavy - Human Hair
Brand Name: Sensationnel (PREMIUM NOW)
It is a high end brand. I had some extra spending money so I decided to go for the better brand. Plus, I'm not paying for labor. I really like this hair.
2. How long does the style usually last? i kept it in for 2 months
3. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? i did them myself...I got a little help from my friend.
4. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? I follow the Crown & Glory technique using diluted Infusium spray and African Royale spray.

These are my minibraids. (Not micros, micros are too small and cause too much damage. This is a safe size that still gives the same look.

This is the precaution I took with my nape.

I LOVE Premium Now! That and Outre (in the purple pack) are my FAVORITE hair and have been for years. BUT, since I've moved it's been SOOO hard to find either one of them and their SOOO much more expensive than back home.

I do the same thing to my neck to. It has made a WORLD of difference and my hair in my nape is the longest it's been in a long time.

Demi27

2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any? Pony hair, human wet and wavy hair and afo ....something for the kinky twist.
3. How long does the style usually last? I keep mine in for 4 months.
4. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? Someone else
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids?Keep it simple. Spray braids with Scurl and seal with coconut oil and a little chi. Use megatek every other day on scalp. Wash and condition once a week. Co wash once, sometimes twice a week. Deep condition once a week.
6. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking? I always take my edges out and just swoop some other braids across them.

I hated these last braids! I had it swooped like that in the front because she had braided my hair so tight in the front.

Just wanted to say I've enjoyed your blog since last year. Nice!

JollyGal

I have braid extensions

I've had the same style for ages...braided down. I've changed the hair over the years...

I use Nexxus soul braid. It's very cheap synthetic hair but of good quality. I prefer when my extensions actually look like extensions and not real hair :lachen: this has always been a fetish of mine. I don't even know why...before that I used spanish braid of another brand. I find the curly brands easier to braid with, to maintain and to take out.

My style can last for 3 months at one time but that's pushing it (and unhealthy for the hair). That would require maintaining and re-braiding the loose ones after washing my hair with the extensions in. It would also require moisturising my hair every day but not too much because saturated braids lose their curl. It's a funny old world :drunk:

I used to have it done by my cousin. She was amazing...amazingly expensive :nono: Soooo my mother's BFF did it and taught me how to do it and here I am braiding my own hair. It takes forever because I'm lazy but it's worth learning...only YOU know what's good for your hair and only YOU know how to treat it. I've heard of braiders that suffer hair envy :lachen: you have gorgeous hair and ask them to braid it so they YANK your hair just because it's gorgeous and you shouldn't hide it and they are due a retouch but can't afford it so they are relying on the payment from braiding your hair. :look:

Before I started braiding my own hair I used the products of the braiders :look: *blue magic :nono:* *lusters pink oil:nono:* *tcb:nono:* I now use a spray bottle of homemade moisturiser/ conditioner; aloe vera juice, rosewater/orange blossom (depends on my mood), distilled water. If I feel that is too wet I seal it with shea mixed with EVOO. Shampoo; CON or Liquid african black soap from akamuti. Protein is usually ORS mayo. I wash my hair every two weeks. I moisturise every other day the day I don't moisturise I massage my scalp with a teeny bit of olive oil on my finger tips.

Edges have smaller hair extensions on them...I also do the extensions VERY loose...these are the ones that fall out when I wash but it's worth it to save my edges. I make sure my moisturiser reaches the edges too. I have a little breakage and I think this is from the other braiders...that is why it is important to learn for yourself so if you're too busy you can get the braiders to do the rest of your hair and leave the edges for you to do.

Hope that helps. Braids are a FANTASTIC protective style and I'm sure if I knew how to care for hair like two years ago I'd have more healthy hair.

Last edited:

tiffanyoneal

I have braid extensions

I've had the same style for ages...braided down. I've changed the hair over the years...

I use Nexxus soul braid. It's very cheap synthetic hair but of good quality. I prefer when my extensions actually look like extensions and not real hair :lachen: this has always been a fetish of mine. I don't even know why...before that I used spanish braid of another brand. I find the curly brands easier to braid with, to maintain and to take out.

My style can last for 3 months at one time but that's pushing it (and unhealthy for the hair). That would require maintaining and re-braiding the loose ones after washing my hair with the extensions in. It would also require moisturising my hair every day but not too much because saturated braids lose their curl. It's a funny old world :drunk:

I used to have it done by my cousin. She was amazing...amazingly expensive :nono: Soooo my mother's BFF did it and taught me how to do it and here I am braiding my own hair. It takes forever because I'm lazy but it's worth learning...only YOU know what's good for your hair and only YOU know how to treat it. I've heard of braiders that suffer hair envy :lachen: you have gorgeous hair and ask them to braid it so they YANK your hair just because it's gorgeous and you shouldn't hide it and they are due a retouch but can't afford it so they are relying on the payment from braiding your hair. :look:

Before I started braiding my own hair I used the products of the braiders :look: *blue magic :nono:* *lusters pink oil:nono:* *tcb:nono:* I now use a spray bottle of homemade moisturiser/ conditioner; aloe vera juice, rosewater/orange blossom (depends on my mood), distilled water. If I feel that is too wet I seal it with shea mixed with EVOO. Shampoo; CON or Liquid african black soap from akamuti. Protein is usually ORS mayo. I wash my hair every two weeks. I moisturise every other day the day I don't moisturise I massage my scalp with a teeny bit of olive oil on my finger tips.

Edges have smaller hair extensions on them...I also do the extensions VERY loose...these are the ones that fall out when I wash but it's worth it to save my edges. I make sure my moisturiser reaches the edges too. I have a little breakage and I think this is from the other braiders...that is why it is important to learn for yourself so if you're too busy you can get the braiders to do the rest of your hair and leave the edges for you to do.

Hope that helps. Braids are a FANTASTIC protective style and I'm sure if I knew how to care for hair like two years ago I'd have more healthy hair.

OMG, I am going to try these braids. I love the ends of them!

dlewis

Did you ladies get good growth while in braids?

And what about your edges? Did they thin out any?

Demi27

When my mom used to braid my hair back in the day, she used to take care of my hair and they DID grow. I had some setbacks. My hair is finally starting to get back on track (especially since I haven't put a relaxer in my hair since Nov). I've been taking much better care of my hair b/c (for me) it's so EASY to take care of my hair in braids. Spray my scalp, some moisture on the length and that's it (until I wash).

I will say THIS much, though (and it may just be me). To cut down on braiding time, in the back of my hair I do conrow extensions for a few rows. I've noticed that I seem to get better growth in the back with the cornrows as opposed to the individual braids I have in front. I think it's b/c it's less manipulation in the back as opposed to the individual braids being able to swing back and forth (if that makes sense). Could just be me, though.

Sorry so lengthy.

dlewis

Are you using the Infussium23 spray on your hair daily? Does that make the braids slide out easily when it's time to take them down?

tiffanyoneal

I would say I've managed to get good growth. It took me a while to find what works best with my hair in braids. Its been a learning process and I am still tweaking it. As for my edges, I take them down after a month or so of having them to prevent them from hanging to the point where they pull out my hair. Most people refuse to do that BUT I rather do it now instead of having bare edges later. I manage to find styles that cover it up. So it's a winner.

Last edited:

NGraceO

In all of themm except the micros, I used kanekalon hair. In the micros, simple human hair...I think zuri.
cornrows, 2 weeks. Box braids/ micros: 2 months.
I did all those myself.
moisturize daily with a water/glycerine mix, wash every week/two weeks or so, sleep on satin pillow case.
Only using as much hair as their in each plait. Doing over every 3weeks-month (edges).

P.s....Sorry for the big pics. :-/....don't hurt me:ohwell:

Demi27

Are you using the Infussium23 spray on your hair daily? Does that make the braids slide out easily when it's time to take them down?

I don't use the Infusium 23. I actually use Nu-Grow spray on my scalp and a moisturizer (like Wave Nouveau) on the length of my braids. I find when my hair is moisturized the braids do come out easier. When I put my hair in synthetic braids, they ALWAYS come out easier. Since it's synthetic, the moisture goes directly to my braids as opposed to human braiding hair. Then I'm moisturizing my hair and the braiding hair.

I think I will try synthetic hair again, but I'm looking for a certain type. I'm trying to find one that looks more like human hair (not so shiny) but in a nice curl pattern.

I know other ladies use the Infusium 23, though.

njerannce

awww this post has made me miss my braids sooo much. i braided cornrowed my hair from the age of 5 (?) up until the age of 20, so my hair was natural up until then. Then i got bored and decided to texturise my hair. due to lack of care my apl hair broken down to sl then el. :wallbash::wallbash: anyway im nursing it back to health but i really want my braids back, their soo cute. i had a touch up on the 1st of may so how long should i wait until i get it braided??? il also be taking some tips from this thread on how to care for my braided hair as when i was natural i only washed once every two weeks, oiled my scalp and rarely conditioned!!! but even though my hair was fine then, i know i cant get away with that now!!

vkb247

I am seriously late...

Just wanted to suggest that you check out this fotki if you haven't seen it before. I have seriously been stalking it for summer styles. It's the best fotki I have seen for braids and twists.

chiprecious

Ladies -

2. Tell us what type of hair was used, if any? BATIK ROMANCE CURL
3. How long does the style usually last? 2 MONTHS
4. Did someone else do them or did you do them yourself? SOMEONE ELSE. WE FOUGHT THE ENTIRE TIME..She wanted to slather my hair in petroleum jelly mixed with pink oil moisturizer, I insisted on home brough shea, she wanted to use a rubber band on my unsectioned hair, and she was too rough with my new growth prompting me to take the comb at times but whatever!! I also lie and say and act tender headed. It works so they aren't so tight.
5. What's your regimen and products used to maintain the braids? This will be my 4th time in braids. Infusium make my hair dry so I will try the aphogee provitamin leave in and the keratin one sometime around wash day. So I intend to mist my scalp with a mixture of aloe vera and water during the day and nightly spritz my actual braids with african royale spray or an oil mixture I'll make. I wash maybe every 5 days.
6. What extra precautions do you take to keep your edges from breaking? I don't get them tight, no pulling to get into ponytails, and try to be super gentle when moving them around.

I know this will help me make a decision. Thanks in advance ladies!!!

ANSWERS ABOVE, PICS BELOW...
100_0916.jpg

100_0926.jpg

100_0928.jpg

100_0925.jpg

darlingdiva

Ladies -

I'm really considering braiding my hair to help jump start my transition (again) but I'm lost as to what braid style I want to try. Please answer the following questions:

I know this will help me make a decision. Thanks in advance ladies!!!

Kanekalon 1B (?) I'm sure about the brand, but not the number

I keep them in for one month

I got them done at a shop in Downtown Brooklyn

I wash them after every workout & I usually work out 5 days a week in the summer. I use the Fantasia IC Tea Tree Shampoo diluted w/ water. I also spray the braids w/ CD Black Vanilla Leave In

I dab the edges with castor oil. Also, if I'm doing a style that requires the hair to be pulled back, I try not to use the braids along the front edges. If I must, I make sure that they are very loose.

Attachments

• Erma in Savannah in blue shirt.jpg
    Erma in Savannah in blue shirt.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Erma in the Savannah 1.jpg
    Erma in the Savannah 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 26

texasqt

I am suppose to relax my hair tomorrow but instead I'm getting braids!!!
Thanks ladies!
And feel free to add more!