Possibly Controversial? Why I Don't Moisturize My Hair

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I've learned this method works best for me, though I tend to keep my hair in my two dutchbraids instead of wearing loose. I actually take a lot of pointers from this channel. But yeah re-wetting outside of wash day doesn't really work for me.

Fast forward to 2:10.

I like how this is essentially the same message, but the delivery is very different.

NICOLETHENUMBERONE

Seems dumb to relegate every single facet of self-care back to white supremacy. If she wants to go there, then why use shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, blow dry, etc. Where does it end? We drink water also...should we stop doing that because it will enable our hair to be in its healthiest state? On that note, let's change our diet and exclude fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts because as you know, that will allow true, Sahara desert dry texture to flourish. Moisturized hair is the truest, healthiest form of black hair.

If I moisturize my skin, I'm still black. If I moisturize my hair, it's texture, curl pattern, etc still identifies me as black. She's acting as if BW are moisturizing their hair and going from 4a to 2a or 1b.

NICOLETHENUMBERONE

That's true and also why most naturals moisturize their hair. Because if they don't, then their hair more prone to getting knots. That's why her video is bogus LOL!! It's acceptable for her to maintain her hair in a way that makes it easier, but she's slick trying to guilt out of doing the same.
Alladis. She's doing what works for her hair but others doing what works for their hair is a no-no.

Theresamonet

I've learned this method works best for me, though I tend to keep my hair in my two dutchbraids instead of wearing loose. I actually take a lot of pointers from this channel. But yeah re-wetting outside of wash day doesn't really work for me.

Fast forward to 2:10.

I like how this is essentially the same message, but the delivery is very different.

I think this is what just about everyone does, though. No one sets their hair in a style (flatiron, blow out, braid out, twist out, even a WnGo) and then wets it down with water the next day. Of course that would ruin it. I only moisturize with water or water based products between washes if I’m wearing my hair in its completely natural state. I think that’s extremely common.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I think this is what just about everyone does, though. No one sets their hair in a style (flatiron, blow out, braid out, twist out, even a WnGo) and then wets it down with water the next day. Of course that would ruin it. I only moisturize with water or water based products between washes if I’m wearing my hair in its completely natural state. I think that’s extremely common.

Ahhh ok, yeah that makes sense.

caribeandiva

Human being
She can miss me with that bulls***. That might work for her hair but not mine.

This is my hair when I never moisturized it. It’s the day I discovered LHCF: March 6, 2006. It’s a one year progress of daily moisturizing my relaxed hair and deep conditioning regularly.
5A31DF19-9CC4-448D-A703-35D0859BD6C5.jpeg

When I went natural, I stopped moisturizing daily and did it once a week and didn’t seal the moisture in: no progress
1225981C-5DE4-4785-BDB0-0C690C7CCFBA.jpeg

Last year I started moisturizing daily and sealing the moisture in with whipped Shea Butter:
E6A702B4-079A-487D-92BA-53CA09678577.jpeg

faithVA

She can miss me with that bulls***. That might work for her hair but not mine.

This is my hair when I never moisturized it. It’s the day I discovered LHCF: March 6, 2006. It’s a one year progress of daily moisturizing my relaxed hair and deep conditioning regularly.
View attachment 440375

When I went natural, I stopped moisturizing daily and did it once a week and didn’t seal the moisture in: no progress
View attachment 440373

Last year I started moisturizing daily and sealing the moisture in with whipped Shea Butter:
View attachment 440371
When natural, how did you wear your hair when moisturizing daily and what did you moisturize with?

PlanetCybertron

I think I saw someone mention it earlier, but I have no idea how she can make that video, then make a rice water video. And if I’m looking at my phone correctly, she just posted that rice water video. It says “10 hours Ago”, right this very moment. You’ve got a YouTube channel, cool, but don’t be hypocritical.

I too am going to have to disagree with her faulty logic. She mentions moisturizing somehow being interpreted as a slap in nature’s face, concerning our natural hair texture. I also think someone mentioned above, but from the dawn of human history, as long as we’ve been on this planet, water has been around even longer. It probably isn’t rocket science now, as it probably wasn’t rocket science then, that water moisturizes and decently cleanses not only skin, but hair as well. Her opinion is her own, but for the love of all things good, use some logic, because if we’re going that route, then she as well as the rest of society and the planet as a whole, should be butt *** naked, if we’re talking “as nature intended”.

That last tidbit on hygral fatigue, I have a few things to say on that too. Hygral Fatigue, in and of itself, is hard to accomplish. You have to intentionally, and repeatedly (never let your hair get dry), keep your hair wet (sopping wet), for WEEKS. Yea there’s a few “articles” out there that suggest hygral fatigue is something we all should be looking out for, but they’ve mostly been done on wool, and certain manufactured fibers. For relevancy sake, unless it’s done on human hair, those articles do not do anything concerning accurate scientific data. But that’s a whole ‘nother rant for some other thread. I should be worried about hygral fatigue waaaaaay before she would be, because I co-wash and damp bun like no ones business and I’ve been doing that for years, and I’m not even CLOSE to acquiring hygral fatigue. So that’s a definite “Nah, try again”, on those claims.

On the whole aspect of society and black women, I’m not even gonna touch that, but it’s 2018. As members of society, and as individuals, it’s up to a person how they wish to carry themselves and represent themselves in this country. Moisturizing your hair falls under that.

But what I REALLY just CANT get over, is if she understands how oils work. Those bad boys do not moisturize. They seal. I know I’m mostly just ranting now, but I wouldn’t have even said anything if she at least went the butter route. As least most butters offer a softening effect with the fatty acids. All I can see happening in the long long run, is her having issues with brittle hair. You know....unless she keeps going back on her logic and blatantly using techniques that obviously contain the use of water.

I think I’ve said enough. I’m gonna go sit down somewhere.

Last edited: