Progress thread+ length check + flat iron dilemma

Which flat-iron would be better for me:

• Maxiglide MP

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Hana Professional Elite

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other (specify in your post please? :D)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

AmyRose92

Hello everyone~!

This is my first thread on my progress thus far so please bear with me! I know the number one LHCF rule: NO PROGRESS THREAD WITHOUT PICS! So I'm not going to disappoint! :lol: I personally don't think it's anything to write home about (well, maybe a little, since I've never had long hair in my entire life and my people's never thought that I'd get this far being natural :spinning:) but I'll show them anyways~

Sometimes I feel like my progress isn't impressive compared to others but recently, I've come to realize that I am retaining length and that's what matters. This is a journey, not a race! I'm still learning about me and my hair, still experimenting with my products and techniques, still dealing imperfections, so it wouldn't be journey without these things, right? :yep: I'm just happy I've been able to make it this far myself and with the help of LHCF and YT. Thank you all!

I'm about a year and 8 months post-BC and two years and 8 months post relaxer.

This is when I was relaxed just about three years ago. Hair was always NL/grazing SL

A year after that I joined LHCF. My hair didn't fair much better. I can't believe I was actually proud that those three strands touched my back! :spinning:

In 2010, I BC'd after a year of transitioning.

After a lot of trial and error and learning about the importance of moisture, DC-ing, and keeping my hair stretched, this was my progress at 16 months post BC

A~nd last night, I bought the Conair Yellowbird and blow dried my hair on the low heat setting and it looked like this:

I was uber excited so I decided to flat iron the longest layer and did a length check. Needless to say, the results looked like a really good blow dried section but not what I wanted! :nono: So I ended up stretching my hair to see where it would fall:

Excuse the bra-strap peeking out there :blush: So I'm not APL but I feel like I'm close! How many inches do you ladies think I need left? :)

So all in all I'm very happy with my progress. I am looking to invest in a flat iron in the very near future ('cause obviously the one I have now is just ludicrous :nono:) but given the texture of my hair, I'm not sure if I should go with the Maxiglide MP or the Hana Professional. Both sound really good but I think the teeth on the Maxiglide would do wonders for my hair. What do you ladies think?

Thanks for listening!

ETA: Excuse the massive size of these pictures! I think I'll edit them to make them smaller now.

Last edited:

Pompous Blue

You have made great strides and wonderful progress on your journey. Your hair has really thickened up and filled in. I know you're proud. Pretty soon you'll be full APL!

Janet'

:congrats: on your progress...I absolutely LOVE the Hana Elite!!!! I think that if you completely flat-ironed your hair, you might be grazing APL in an inch or two--you are so close!

Your hair looks super thick and healthy...:congrats: :clap: :congrats: :clap: What's your long term goal?

Your Cheeziness

OP, Your flat iron job will depend on how straight you get your hair during the drying process. When I was natural, I had this same issue. I was scared of heat and put everything on low and expected silky smooth results. I think you should focus on getting the stretching and drying process down. Flat ironing is really for smoothing, imo.

Ms_CoCo37

I think you've made beautiful progress. Even though it's not straightened, I can tell tht it's thicker, longer, and healthier. I really like what you said when you mentioned that this is a journey, not a race.:yep:

Congratulations to you! I can't wait to see your next progress update.:lick:

Regarding the flat irons, I have the Maxiglide, and I really like it. One thing though, you definitely have to be very careful with the teeth. If you choose to get it, make sure you use small sections, and be sure to detangle each section before flat ironing. Also, make sure you don't close the plates completely as you glide it down the length of your hair.

Legally Natural

I can't really tell how long your hair is in the back because it is not fully straightened. When it is not fully straightened, there are enough curls/kinks to take away from the length. I think that you are probably closer to APL than your last picture indicates.

AmyRose92

Thank you ladies! I know shrinkage is a beast and stretching my hair to the front isn't really helping xD I feel like I'm always under/overestimating the length because it shrinks up something fierce and I can never get an accurate check. Hopefully I'll be able to see the true length when it's straightened!

RegaLady

You are doing very well on your journey! Your hair has come a long way. Keep it going!

ETA: Please be careful when flat-ironing your progress. I did this around the same time last year to show my progress and ended up having a set back :nono:. So while flat ironing, stretch your hair as best as you can and use a heat protectant prior to flat ironing. Good luck!

Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

great progress!!! I vote for the maxi glide. i have type 4a/b hair natural. as long as i do a good detangle and blowdry the teeth don't give me any trouble.

Shadiyah

Thank you ladies! I know shrinkage is a beast and stretching my hair to the front isn't really helping xD I feel like I'm always under/overestimating the length because it shrinks up something fierce and I can never get an accurate check. Hopefully I'll be able to see the true length when it's straightened!

AmyRose92 congrats!!!!! I think you only have like a couple of inches to go before you will be APL. Just keep up the good work. If I were you unless you really wanted to I would not worry to much about getting your hair straight nor the shrinkage. If you wear it in natural styles during the day at night try plaiting it up and do that every night it will stretch out your hair more and more each day.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
OP you've made real progress. This journey does not come without trial and error. You are on the right track, you should definitely be proud of the progress you've made. Congratz to you!

Victoria44

congrats!! i can't wait for you to reach APL you sound so excited :D

I would recommend the Hana, I've used it on my friends 4b hair about 3-4 times on 302 deg. Fahrenheit. She has no heat damage, and her hair is soft and straight with bounce. But i do make sure to blow dry it first, and use heat protectant, both before blow drying and lightly before flat ironing lol

ebsalita

I think you've done marvellously - keep it up - you're nearly APL and in my eyes, no matter how long you took, THAT is a landmark in itself. The way your hair has thickened is remarkable, too.

:congrats:

winona

Great progress. I am in the process of relinquishing my pre LHCF hair too:) This place is awesome because these ladies share soo freely. I am biased I absolutely love my hana elite. The last time I flat ironed it was 2 passes at 350. I have BKTed natural hair. dontspeakdefeat has a video on how to blow dry and flat iron natural hair. Before watching this video I was clueless as to why my results sucked.

Blow Dry and Flat Iron vids:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY65vtO8IJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfyafCq-Lsw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpO6O6ihgww&feature=related

BreeNique

you're doing incredibly well!! it's a cross country race, a lifestyle change, not a sprint! you know that, so you should be just fine!! so proud of you, honey!!!

MzSwift

Congratulations on your progress! You'll be APL before you know it!

IA with the poster who suggested that you not worry about flat ironing to show progress.

Your Cheeziness -
That was great information, thanks!

Readyone -
((HUG)) Sorry girl, didn't know about that.