Protein Queens: Challenge

PJaye

Today, I did a full protein treatment using the Aphogee 2-Step (I even blended it into a frothy consistency for easier application). Upon rinsing, my hair felt fabulous; and I had less than average shedding and a scant amount of breakage (three hairs...three). I love it! I DC'ed with NG Herbal, which gave me silky soft and moisturized hair. I'm going to try and keep this goody goodness going by using balancing DCs over the next few weeks.

charmtreese

My hair loves protein!!

Hair (type, length, porosity, density): 4b, 17-18 inches, normal high porosity, medium
What kind of proteins will you be using? Egg, keratin, silk
What products containing protein will you be using? Homemade hair mayo pre-poo, Aphogee two minute, CHI Silk infusion leave-in, CHI Keratin Mist
How often will you use it? Every two weeks
If you currently have a protein rich regimen, how do you feel it has benefitted you? Hair is stronger and more resilient

CoilyArielBrowe

I'm currently wearing marley twists so I haven't been able to deep condition with any protein. I do try to use a leave-in with protein once a week. I'm currently alternating between Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea and Alikay Lemongrass. I have also been using xcel-21 on my scalp and realized it has protein in it ( Hydrolyzed Keratin and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein ) so I might try using on my length.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Explain the bolded @keranikki. What was your experience like and how did your hair feel once you were done? Did you do the entire 3 steps or just one? If one step, which step was that? Thanks

I used step #3 in the Olaplex system. The first time I used it, I used it incorrectly. You are supposed to put it on unwashed hair, but I used it after I shampooed. When done this way, it felt like I did a hard protein treatment.
This time I followed the directions and my hair didn’t feel any different. My hair felt like I just wet it after a week of soaking in Shea butter; which in actuality my hair was soaking in Shea butter all week. My hair did not feel stronger at all.
Next week I’ll try it the other way again, except I will not clarify.

Aggie

I used step #3 in the Olaplex system. The first time I used it, I used it incorrectly. You are supposed to put it on unwashed hair, but I used it after I shampooed. When done this way, it felt like I did a hard protein treatment.
This time I followed the directions and my hair didn’t feel any different. My hair felt like I just wet it after a week of soaking in Shea butter; which in actuality my hair was soaking in Shea butter all week. My hair did not feel stronger at all.
Okay thanks for the explanation.

imaginary

But it's not a protein treatment, it's a chemical treatment. I dont think you should expect it to make your hair feel stronger based on what the creators said.

charmtreese

Thanks! Do you use a lot of moisture? Is your hair very dense?

I wash my hair once every two weeks. My hair normally stays moist up to 7 days after washing and DC'ing (I also baggy nightly). During week two I replenish my hair by using a spray moisturizer and sealing with oil/grease nightly and baggying. I wouldn't say I use a lot of moisture, however I think that since my hair is normally in twist and since I baggy nightly, I've created an environment where my hair can stay moisturized without frequent washing and DC'ing. I would say I have normal/medium density hair.

Finding that balance with fine kinky hair can be hard. But, I've noticed the more protein I use on wash day the better.