Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

imaginary

@YvetteWithJoy and @Coilystep Have you guys tried the twist and define cream? It's a pretty good detangler I find, I just can't use it on soaking wet hair because it feels weird.

I meant definer not detangler. It has pretty good hold as well.

No I haven't. Thanks for this info.

Have you tried the Twist and Assist? I'm curious about it.

I haven't actually. Maybe I'll pick it up after I run out of this one.

Pygmy_puff

My Dad! When I explained my DIY length check shirt mistake to him (I made it on a very stretchy exercise top), he measured out and put lines on ANOTHER shirt for me. He did the front AND the back. All I had to do was add the numbers. He's a perfectionist so naturally he was critical of his own work, but I love it. Dads are great. :smile:

(photos enlarge upon click)
View attachment 400305 View attachment 400307
AW!!! Your dad is a sweetheart! He did a great job <3

Aggie

My Dad! When I explained my DIY length check shirt mistake to him (I made it on a very stretchy exercise top), he measured out and put lines on ANOTHER shirt for me. He did the front AND the back. All I had to do was add the numbers. He's a perfectionist so naturally he was critical of his own work, but I love it. Dads are great. :smile:

(photos enlarge upon click)
View attachment 400305 View attachment 400307
Wow! Very nicely done @YvetteWithJoy.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
AW!!! Your dad is a sweetheart! He did a great job <3

Aw, thanks! I'll tell him. I periodically call him to say thanks again, and to brag on him. I can hear his smile over the phone when I do.

The thing is, he's a VERY busy business owner! After hearing my tale of how I worked so hard on my shirt but put it on the wrong material, he could have just said, "Hopefully your next attempt will work out." Instead, he pushes back his business appointments, makes this shirt like I'm a client that's paying beaucoup (i.e., "bookoo" / lots of) money for it, and approached it like he was performing medical surgery.

He is an expert at a lot of things, and he's very kind and generous at the same time, and it's very profound and sweet. I hope my boys become a lot like him, in those regards. Love me some Dad. :love2: I'm so proud of him.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wow! Very nicely done @YvetteWithJoy.

Thanks, @Aggie. Isn't it? I'm sure he's wondering why I keep calling every half-day or so to say thanks again, but it is rare when a person puts THAT LEVEL of seriousness and focus and concern and care into a project that's not his or her thing, with no real benefit to themselves, for free and at a loss of time to his or her self. He could have just internally rolled his eyes about my "failed" DIY shirt story and thought, "Another hair thing of hers."

But instead, he went into serious thought about how to best make the shirt, and came at it with a genius, easy way to make it. I think I might make a thread about it, for others who want to do it.

HaveSomeWine

I washed my hair with my shampoo bar and nothing else again today. Only this time, I used my paddle brush to detangle my hair after I worked my hair into a lather. Afterwards, I put coconut oil in my hair as my leave in.

My hair was last washed with the same shampoo bar on Saturday. I put coconut oil in my hair after using the shampoo bar and put my hair in a bun. I didn't add any more product to my hair in between Saturday and today and my hair still stayed soft and moisturized.

Something about this J.R. Liggett's Jojoba & Peppermint Shampoo Bar makes my hair very easy to detangle. The more I use, the more slip I get. I also noticed a great reduction in hair fall from when I was using regular shampoo and conditioner. I went from losing this much every four days per wash with shampoo and conditioner:

IMG_0377.JPG

To losing this much in 15 days (last time I properly detangled my hair with my paddle brush was May 15):

IMG_4712.JPG

Drastic improvement. The first pic, I brushed my hair out while sopping wet with conditioner. The second pic I brushed my hair out while sopping wet with shampoo bar lather. For some reason this shampoo bar works like magic for my hair.

I will have to branch out and sample other shampoo bars to see if I get the same results with other brands. I'm still shocked this is real. For some reason my hair is the softest when I use minimal product in it.

Royalq

so my scalp was itching like crazy today but i just redid my mini twists and they look so fresh. Normally i would wash them but i dont want them to get frizzy again. last time they got frizzy in less than a week. So i did a quick search online on how to cleanse the scalp without shampooing and i came across using diluted ACV. So i made some and applied to my scalp with some gauze and my scalp feels so much better now.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I washed my hair with my shampoo bar and nothing else again today. Only this time, I used my paddle brush to detangle my hair after I worked my hair into a lather. Afterwards, I put coconut oil in my hair as my leave in.

My hair was last washed with the same shampoo bar on Saturday. I put coconut oil in my hair after using the shampoo bar and put my hair in a bun. I didn't add any more product to my hair in between Saturday and today and my hair still stayed soft and moisturized.

Something about this J.R. Liggett's Jojoba & Peppermint Shampoo Bar makes my hair very easy to detangle. The more I use, the more slip I get. I also noticed a great reduction in hair fall from when I was using regular shampoo and conditioner. I went from losing this much every four days per wash with shampoo and conditioner:

View attachment 400341

To losing this much in 15 days (last time I properly detangled my hair with my paddle brush was May 15):

View attachment 400345

Drastic improvement. The first pic, I brushed my hair out while sopping wet with conditioner. The second pic I brushed my hair out while sopping wet with shampoo bar lather. For some reason this shampoo bar works like magic for my hair.

I will have to branch out and sample other shampoo bars to see if I get the same results with other brands. I'm still shocked this is real. For some reason my hair is the softest when I use minimal product in it.

:wiggle:

Awwww, sookie sookie!

You got me all hype! :trampoline:

Your reviews are perfect timing because I just rediscovered my 22nd Century Shampoo Bar, which does my hair a LOT like what you describe above. So, I bought a tiny sample of just about every shampoo bar that J.R. Liggetts makes. The cost was something like $7 for the sampler pack and $10 with shipping added.

I'm hoping that the MOISTURE J.R. Liggett's shampoo bar does my hair like the 22nd Century Shampoo bar does, or better: I am able to detangle my hair with the 22ndCSB, and it elongates my hair and kind of molds it into an elongated state so that shed hairs just slip right out.

If the J.R. Liggett shampoo bars really do permit detangling, this will be just right on time for the regimen tweak I'm about to try, inspired by a post of Chicoro's: I'm going to try cleansing (maybe after steaming a small bit?), then DCing, then hydrating with AVJ or an AVJ-containing spritz, and THEN DETANGLING with a detangling leave-in. In my current regimen, I start off with detangling.

I'm hoping the result of moving detangling to a latter step, post DC, will be less damage to my strands and a faster wash day. We'll see! I can't wait to test this regimen tweak a few times. And given this potential regimen change, the J.R. Liggett shampoo bar would be a GREAT find if it works. It's available on the ground in the next city over, and I don't feel it is less likely to all of a sudden just NOT be available, since it's in stores and all.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Thinking about getting feed-in cornrows, does anyone know if I can keep them in for 4wks? I've done 2wks before, just not sure if 4wks is possible. I plan to do warm water rinses 1x a week while they're in and seal with an oil, and of course use my satin scarf to wrap them up each night.

ETA: I'm getting a similar style to these.

38f69651eabe89a05371ca4939bb65dd.jpg b8ae6c0d133480078c5a97b00998c5bd.jpg

Last edited:

GGsKin

Thinking about getting feed-in cornrows, does anyone know if I can keep them in for 4wks? I've done 2wks before, just not sure if 4wks is possible. I plan to do warm water rinses 1x a week while they're in and seal with an oil, and of course use my satin scarf to wrap them up each night.

Depends on your aesthetic, how fast your hair grows, and if you sleep with them covered. Once partings begin to vanish, or braids start lifting, I'd be removing them quick time.

Last edited:

Lissa0821

I plan on starting to wash my hair twice a week again. Just a simple shampoo and rinse out conditioner on Thursdays. I will continue to deep condition on Sundays wash days. This hot weather drys my hair out with a quickness.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I like my edges relaxed but I prefer the rest of my hair texlaxed. Hmmm how to make this work on a consistent basis???

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I said I was going to wear my hair in braidouts more often, but it hasn't happened. I've been in twists or braids for so long that it feels weird to wear my hair loose. And of course when I did wear it loose, I was umbrella-less in a freak storm (twice!). Truth is, I haven't even had anywhere special to go that made unbraiding worth the effort. Maybe if I don't make wearing my hair loose a "thing" it will happen more naturally, I won't stress about it so much, and it won't seem as if nature is against me.

LushLox

Are clarifying shampoos a con? I haven't used a clarifying shampoo for ages but I do incorporate a SLS shampoo in my regi and I have no build up.

Further, I find the clay or detox treatments more beneficial and better value but maybe I'm missing something I dunno... :ohwell:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:look:

Am I the ONLY one who looked at the Morrocco product line and was influenced by the extra "r" to do a "naaaawI'llpassfahnow."

I guess my thought was, "Since you can't spellcheck Morocco before launching a whole line and website, I'll pass, 'cause now I'm wondering how detail-oriented and careful you are." I might be missing out on some great products. Ionno. :lol:

ETA: Maybe they did it on purpose to stand out, or maybe I'm missing something. Oh well.

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I said I was going to wear my hair in braidouts more often, but it hasn't happened. I've been in twists or braids for so long that it feels weird to wear my hair loose. And of course when I did wear it loose, I was umbrella-less in a freak storm (twice!). Truth is, I haven't even had anywhere special to go that made unbraiding worth the effort. Maybe if I don't make wearing my hair loose a "thing" it will happen more naturally, I won't stress about it so much, and it won't seem as if nature is against me.

You are not alone.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I need to find me a cheap hairstyle. I was gonna sew in the back of my hair but I don't have the right color for my hair and I don't want to buy any new hair for that. I might just do the three braid with some braiding hair. If I do have to buy some hair it'll just be $5 Lemme go home and see what I have.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Wash day was amazing from start to finish. Looking forward to my new regimen. The only thing I didn't do was take a pic. Will do that my next was day which is June 4th. OAN, I can't find my detangling comb. Will need to find that before the end of the month.