Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Aww I'm sorry. Is there a possibility it may be rancid? Did you reach out to the company?

I reached out. Yes, it might be rancid. Maybe that's why the jars was so discounted? Because they were trying to get rid of old product?

Whether it is rancid or not, I have ZERO desire to ever try it again. I actually feel nauseated. STILL.

I've been through this with another company before (received a rancid product), and I don't have the energy this time around to obtain another jar and try it again.

Last edited:

GGsKin

How in the heck are you making a WNG last?!! I can't do it to save my soul.

1. I make sure my hair is laden with moisture from the start (the end of the actual wash). I don't squeeze anything out, but I don't use a leave-in.
2. Make sure I am thorough with my gel application- work in sections and I'm heavy handed.
3. Air dry, and don't touch. At times it won't be dry before I'm ready to wrap it up for the night but I'll try to disturb it as little as possible.
4. Tie down at night with a silk scarf. Every night, for as long as I want the wng to last.

If my hair starts feeling/looking a little thirsty, I'll refresh with shower steam/ baggy, or by squeezing in water with wet hands/ add gel- diluted KCCC/ spritz some APB refresher spray, until I'm ready to wash/ rinse again.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Ooh. Please let us know how that works for you. I wouldn't mind making my own detangler since soultanicals is kinda expensive, takes forever to ship, and often out of stock.

I just made a post about how black women have helped usher in attention to research on black hair. But I also wonder if some of these companies are simply going on YouTube, seeing what works for black women who have taken it upon themselves to be Kitchen Mixtresses, and then copying them. I guess we will know if we happen to see coconut water vinegar in products going forth.

Here is my experience: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...gler-vs-soultanicals-slip-n-slide-hair-glide/

I let the DIY prepoo/detangler "battle" against my holy grail detangler, Soultanicals Hair Glide.

At the blog post linked above, I include a 30-second video clip showing the DIY product's consistency. I discuss purchasing of the ingredients, and I discuss an ingredients-related ISSUE (is it supposed to be coconut VINEGAR or coconut WATER VINEGAR -- because both products exist -- or does it not matter because these are one in the same???).

LushLox

I'm sure this will have been posted before but I've come across an interesting way to stretch natural hair and curl it at the same time. Shame there's no finish result, has anyone tried this method? I guess this is not something to try before bed!

trueheartofgold

I reached out. Yes, it might be rancid. Maybe that's why the jars was so discounted? Because they were trying to get rid of old product?

Whether it is rancid or not, I have ZERO desire to ever try it again. I actually feel nauseated. STILL.

I've been through this with another company before (received a rancid product), and I don't have the energy this time around to obtain another jar and try it again.

I know it's a turn off based on your experience. I would feel the same way too. I hope they try to resolve it from their end.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
1. I make sure my hair is laden with moisture from the start (the end of the actual wash). I don't squeeze anything out, but I don't use a leave-in.
2. Make sure I am thorough with my gel application- work in sections and I'm heavy handed.
3. Air dry, and don't touch. At times it won't be dry before I'm ready to wrap it up for the night but I'll try to disturb it as little as possible.
4. Tie down at night with a silk scarf. Every night, for as long as I want the wng to last.

If my hair starts feeling/looking a little thirsty, I'll refresh with shower steam/ baggy, or by squeezing in water with wet hands/ add gel- diluted KCCC/ spritz some APB refresher spray, until I'm ready to wash/ rinse again.
Thanks for that, can you tell me more about your hair (how long, what type, just in general please)?

GGsKin

Thanks for that, can you tell me more about your hair (how long, what type, just in general please)?

Sure @Cattypus1 I'm mainly 4b/c. The majority of my length is between collarbone and APL. It is well conditioned to the wng as I've been wearing my hair like this since 2014. I finger comb/ detangle for most of the time.

ETA: normal- low po, henna user.

Last edited:

MzSwift

I have resigned myself to getting crotchets to test for vacation next month. I've never had them but I just feel like I can't spend at least an hour every day messing with my hair while I'm on vacation. I'm feeling some kind of way about my decision because I'm not really into fake hair. I want it to look totally natural and I'm wishing that my natural hair was a bit easier to deal with on the daily. Call me crazy but I sort of feel like a traitor to my natural hair.

My favorite PS and natural hair style is mini box braids without extensions. They're great for everyday and vacay wear! I've worn them from the time my hair was 3 inches until it was WL and even still wear them while texlaxed. You can get them wet. You can WNG and let them hang. If your hair is long enough, you can cowash or water rinse them and throw them in a ponytail or bun.

Sally.

Here is my experience: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...gler-vs-soultanicals-slip-n-slide-hair-glide/

I let the DIY prepoo/detangler "battle" against my holy grail detangler, Soultanicals Hair Glide.

At the blog post linked above, I include a 30-second video clip showing the DIY product's consistency. I discuss purchasing of the ingredients, and I discuss an ingredients-related ISSUE (is it supposed to be coconut VINEGAR or coconut WATER VINEGAR -- because both products exist -- or does it not matter because these are one in the same???).
Thanks for sharing. I haven't tried Hair Glide yet, just knot sauce. They accidentally sent me two bottles of knot sauce, so i'm trying to use those up before I place an order for the Hair Glide, since I hear its even better than the Knot Sauce.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Sure @Cattypus1 I'm mainly 4b/c. The majority of my length is between collarbone and APL. It is well conditioned to the wng as I've been wearing my hair like this since 2014. I finger comb/ detangle for most of the time.

ETA: normal- low po, henna user.
Thanks @AbsyBlvd My hair sounds exactly like that except the henna. When I go to sleep if I don't immobilize my hair, even under a bonnet then it is a tangled, matted mess. When I stretch it out I lose what little curl pattern I have in a random fashion. How do you sleep? What do you do the next day?

GGsKin

Thanks @AbsyBlvd My hair sounds exactly like that except the henna. When I go to sleep if I don't immobilize my hair, even under a bonnet then it is a tangled, matted mess. When I stretch it out I lose what little curl pattern I have in a random fashion. How do you sleep? What do you do the next day?

I can't stretch my hair too much either. When my hair is out, I tend to wear a perma-centre part. At night, I loosely tie my hair back with loose bands made from cut tights (cut across the leg). For me, these leave less dents than actual hairbands. Once tied back, I cover with a dry or damp silk scarf, depending on how my hair feels. Sometimes, I'll baggy and then cover with scarf. Actually loose or styled, the routine is the same, minus the tights bands.

In the morning, I tend to keep it tied up in the shower. Sometimes I'll leave my hair exposed to the shower steam. Then I remove my scarves (I wear more than one), and shake into shape, minimally shaping with my hands. Done.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Milestones...

Reaching my chubby arm behind my back, I felt three hairs under running water. I think those three hairs might make to BSL by October. :lol:

Sometimes, I do a gentle shake under water to encourage the coils. Today, a clump on the left and another on the right met at the bridge of my nose and gave each other a hug. :nono: Mmm, yeah, time to stop that.