Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Evolving78

Trying to decide whether I should wash my hair this weekend as scheduled or wait until my friend brings my shower filter from home on Tuesday. Leaning toward Tuesday.

Context: Currently abroad where the water smells like sulfur and death; shower filter expired.
The water was yellow a little while ago... I just did a hot oil treatment and didn't even think..

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I'm sure this will have been posted before but I've come across an interesting way to stretch natural hair and curl it at the same time. Shame there's no finish result, has anyone tried this method? I guess this is not something to try before bed!

So nobody's going to talk about this?!?! This looks genius to me. If your hair is longer I wonder if you can stack two rollers and then would it fit under a hooded dryer. Has anyone seen or tried this? Thanks @LushLox for posting this.

imaginary

I'm sure this will have been posted before but I've come across an interesting way to stretch natural hair and curl it at the same time. Shame there's no finish result, has anyone tried this method? I guess this is not something to try before bed!

I definitely remember seeing a video where someone tried this. But for the life of me I can't find it. And I'm not sure if it was youtube or instagram or somewhere else. I remember it looking a little odd before she fixed it. Straight/poofy from roots to the middle but curly at the ends.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Currently under the dryer with a DC with some of the Sally's olaplex treatment mixed in. I want to continue to see how much more repairing it can do of this heat damage that I have
It can only do so much :lol: :cry: the sections that were just slightly stretched out curls are now more springy, but that bone straight patch from my last sew-in with exotical Philipino or whatever hair ain't going nowhere. It's all strong and not breaking now tho, so hell ima be alright and leave it alone till it grows out. I'm pretty savvy at styling around it

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I hate how faux locs are the same price as real locs.

:rofl: they are sooo easy to do!! I bet you can learn to do it yourself.

To give the stylist perspective tho I'm not gonna lie I've done two sets for other people now and I feel like I was robbed for what I charged them. They are not hard but it is time consumingggggggg. I'm not touching nobody's head now for less than $200, I'll even charge my momma :lol:

LushLox

So nobody's going to talk about this?!?! This looks genius to me. If your hair is longer I wonder if you can stack two rollers and then would it fit under a hooded dryer. Has anyone seen or tried this? Thanks @LushLox for posting this.

I definitely remember seeing a video where someone tried this. But for the life of me I can't find it. And I'm not sure if it was youtube or instagram or somewhere else. I remember it looking a little odd before she fixed it. Straight/poofy from roots to the middle but curly at the ends.

I hope it works for you if you try it. :yep:

I imagine it may look odd if you wear the hair down but it would look great in a sort of puff ponytail.

Anaisin

:rofl: they are sooo easy to do!! I bet you can learn to do it yourself.

To give the stylist perspective tho I'm not gonna lie I've done two sets for other people now and I feel like I was robbed for what I charged them. They are not hard but it is time consumingggggggg. I'm not touching nobody's head now for less than $200, I'll even charge my momma :lol:

I'm going to have to do them myself. If I pay $450 for them then I would have to force myself to wear them for a long time. I wouldn't do them for cheap either

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Does anyone use the Shescentit Green Tea Curl Defining Oil Free Gel? I'm looking for pointers on how to get this to work.

I've tried multiple leave ins and it's always white ball city in my hand so I never bother to apply it to my hair. It even balls up with SSI leave ins (it eventually smoothes out but I don't want to risk the possible flakes).

Pygmy_puff

I'm going to have to do them myself. If I pay $450 for them then I would have to force myself to wear them for a long time. I wouldn't do them for cheap either

Have you tried this technique? She uses crochet locs to do individual faux locs- no cornrows. It looks so natural and so much faster than braiding and wrapping the hair.

I haven't tried the technique myself, but I saw the video the other day and thought it was so clever. I love how ingenious we (black women) are, especially when it comes to our hair! :D

LavenderMint

@YvetteWithJoy!!! that brush you recommended is NO JOKE. It did what no other brush has done on wash day (or any other day since going natural): detangled my hair to the point that I had minimal shed hair during styling. And it was shed hair, not broken off curlies. I have heard people say the denman clumps their curls but causes more shrinkage than usual when used for wash and go. So far, I'm not seeing that with the Kareco brush. :afro: I will be buying a back up and one for my sister- who is your hair twin!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy!!! that brush you recommended is NO JOKE. It did what no other brush has done on wash day (or any other day since going natural): detangled my hair to the point that I had minimal shed hair during styling. And it was shed hair, not broken off curlies. I have heard people say the denman clumps their curls but causes more shrinkage than usual when used for wash and go. So far, I'm not seeing that with the Kareco brush. :afro: I will be buying a back up and one for my sister- who is your hair twin!

:yep:

EXACTLY!!! I will ever be grateful to the LHCF member that reviewed the KareCo Tangle Buster. It is EV-ER-Y-THING!

I love your detailed review. I haven't been able to put all of that into words, but, yes, ALL OF THAT!

Earlier today I had the thought, "I should buy 2 more of these. Juuuuuust in case." :smile:

This brush makes being natural NO PROBLEM for me. It detangles larger sections, and quickly! My experience now is NOTHING like the previous, challenging three years.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Y'all really pushing me toward this Kareco Brush. I've seen so many rave reviews. How are you using it? Under running water with a lot of conditioner? I've always detangled out of the shower before wash day.

@YvetteWithJoy @MeaWea

I use barrettes to section my hair into 5 sections on each half of my head. On damp hair at the sink, section by section I apply whatever product I'm detangling with (Soultanicals Hair Glide, Mielle Babassu Oil & Mint DC, Shea Moisture's hipo masque, etc.) and detangle the section from the bottom up using the brush.

I minimize tension on my ends by using a wrist flicking motion on the ends when detangling with the brush. Once the ends in the hair section are detangled, I move up the section and detangle like normal: doing a combo of (1) flicking the brush to detangle and (2) gently pulling the brush through the section.

I then move to the shower and rinse and remove any remaining shed hairs the brush might not have removed.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I can't believe it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to transition to one line only (aside from Colorful Neutral Protein Filler as my protein treatment and Cantu ACV Rinse as my scalp cleanser).

And I can't believe it (given all the out-of-stock and the too-many-special-edition-products-that-I-feel-need-to-be-year-round products issue), but it's Soultanicals. :yep:

I'm leaning towards the product collection below to cover my regimen. I might add the Curly Dew Earthy Poo to the list, but for now the shampoo bar, clay wash, and co-wash seem sufficient.

I think I can transition to this, and purchase no in-store products that aren't sealed, and pay shipping fees to just ONE company every so often. Yeah! :smile:

6-25-2017 A Soultanicals-based Hair Regimen.png

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy those products look amazing. :drool:

Agreed!

I've only tried some: the gel, oil, detangler, twist cream, 'fro repair DC, and I hope to use the leave in (kink drink) this morning.

But when I look at the ingredients in the collection above, plus the reviews, I feel like I would be treating my scalp and hair lavishly and putting everything on them I'd want to.

I'm so close to simplifying because I'm understanding my hair now. Finally!

LavenderMint

Y'all really pushing me toward this Kareco Brush. I've seen so many rave reviews. How are you using it? Under running water with a lot of conditioner? I've always detangled out of the shower before wash day.

@YvetteWithJoy @MeaWea
I don't do much detangling outside of the shower and when I do I only finger detangle. Typically, I have a such a hard time getting out all the shed hairs that my entire process is filled with continually removing them.
This time around, I shampooed and then used DevaCurl Decadence conditioner. Since this was my first time using it, my brush technique could use some work but it was very different from other brushes. As @YvetteWithJoy noted, it's more of a wrist motion rather than moving from shoulder, with minimal elbow movement. It's like the brush is doing the work for you. So, I used the brush with the conditioner, followed with Aussie 3min Miracle Strong on my ends and DevaCurl Heaven in Hair on the rest of the length. While rinsing, I only went back in on the roots. Remaining sheds were able to just slither on out.

Speaking of rinsing, getting the hair out of this brush is pleasingly simple. After I finished, I used it to help encourage curl clumping in the top of my head, and it was super easy to wash away the gel and leave-in.

.....can you tell I love this brush? :look: