Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

DVAntDany

It's finally time. I'm ready to get a protective style. This past year has taught me how to take care of my hair in its curly state. I'm now ready to learn a new skill. Although I know lots about making extensions look good, I never took the time to truly care for my hair underneath them. Back then I was only good for straight hair natural stuff.

I really miss playing with my hair, but I have traumatic memories of me F'in it up. To resist the urge of diy self sabotage, I want to return to my old bae, the sew-in. Plus, I’m sick of continuously beating myself up for past hair mistakes.

I'm not giving up on curly hair. The plan is to do a curly install. This way I can play with the cut and color without messing up my growth progress.

In the past, I was obsessed with length when it came to extensions. I put myself in a compromised position trying to blend my short leave-out especially when worn curly. To mitigate this problem, I'm going to start out with shorter lengths. I want face framing curtain bang that will blend easily with my leave-out. As my hair grows longer, I might go back to my favorite method of install which is the ivy flip-over method.

Watching Angela Simmons and Tamika Bell of Simply Tamika on YT sparked this old desire. I’m excited to start doing “healthy” protective styles. This time I’ll know what to do both in and out of extensions.

Royalq

Finally did my much needed monthly maintenance wash (i wash weekly but this is my protein maintenance wash).
-i did an olive/ avocado oil hot oil treatment on dry hair
-Use PUR hardwater shampoo to clarify and remove any mineral build up
- olaplex no. 1 & 2 stand alone treatment
- Aphogee two step
- rice water topped with my DC
Then slept overnight with the DC and proceeded with styling

i procrastinate alot with hair maintenance and i need to get it together. Rice water seems to be really working for me and here i am self-sabotaging myself. I dont want my efforts to go to waste.

DVAntDany

It’s a hard pill to swallow, but getting a weave isn’t as easy as I had imagined. At the last minute, I had one professionally put in because I had to take pictures for something. Let’s just say it didn’t turn out the way I initially thought it would.

Even though I didn’t spend too too much, I know this is something I can do myself. My past handiwork was much better than this, but I’m super rusty. I need to learn how to officially cornrow braid. I don’t know the art of making them firm nor how to add extensions to them for a decent anchor braid.

Now that I’m mildly upset about my hair, more common sense has started flooding in. If I decide to engage in protective styles with extensions for extended amounts of time, my hair will become dehydrated. Supposedly, dehydrated hair is the antithesis of the wash n go. The wash n go is all I know right now for my short hair. I don’t want to take away my go to style for breaks in between installs.

I know I can easily install box braids and twists myself. The question still remains, do I want to kill my wash n go for versatility?

NaturalEnigma

I need to stop leaving my conditioners in my head for so long. They give me headaches and a sore scalp. I feel like my hair is being effected now too with my ends being stringy and breaking. I need to wash my hair in the early morning and be done by the evening. My laziness to rinse and twist my hair is leading to damage.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I took my braids down and kept the same parts to do plaits after I detangled. I’ll wig it until my next appointment

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
currently using rice water along with fenugreek pills, hair skin and nails pills, and iron. I feel like the rice water is helping alot actually. I have an inch of growth on my crown for the month of January, my average growth is 0.3 inch/month. But the growth seems to be relative to the growth of that area of my head if that makes sense. Like my crown always grows the most, it always grows the 0.3 so it grew an inch, but areas like my nape always grow very slowly so while there is growth there its not an inch.
So im challenging myself to try and use a rice water spray everyday on my scalp for February to see how much I can get in a month. Im excited because Ive been a LHCFer for over 10 years and have tried soooooo many growth aides and my hair always only gave me 0.3 a month. I half didnt think rice water would do anything but i figured since i dont have to buy anything and my hair loves protein anyways so why not. And there was so much evidence online of it working for people.
I wonder if i can solidify 12 inches this year??
Yes that rice water is the truth. I’ve been using it just a couple weeks and the growth is noticeable. I may cowash and massage some rice water leave in into my scalp tonight.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I realized I've never big chopped my own hair. I always let someone else do it. But todayyyy....I cut my hair. I look like a microphone :lachen: Surprisingly I cut a lot off. Probably more needs to go on the chopping block, but at this point I have did what I can do.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I realized I've never big chopped my own hair. I always let someone else do it. But todayyyy....I cut my hair. I look like a microphone :lachen: Surprisingly I cut a lot off. Probably more needs to go on the chopping block, but at this point I have did what I can do.
I didn't know you were transitioning!

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I didn't know you were transitioning!
I wasn't at first lol. I was just stretching my relaxer, mostly because I was too hot and kept sweating in my scalp. But then I got a color job and everything kinda went to poop (this is why I normally do my own chemicals), and I didn't feel like saving it, so now I'm getting locs lol.

Royalq

Had a nice wash day yesterday. But i noticed my right side is longer than my left. My stylist noticed this and assumed it was breakage on my left. But i got a trim at the end of December and everything was even. By end of January i noticed it again when washing my hair that my right side was longer. It couldnt be lack of care because I instinctively apply products to my left side first.
But what i did realize is that though i am a wild all over sleeper i do tend to sleep on my left side more. I switch from belly, to left to right to back but a find myself more on my left. I wear a satin scarf and i cant control how i sleep. So if its my left side sleeping thats causing it then oh well. Im not messing up my restorative sleep time for some hair.

DVAntDany

I think I found some extensions to match my leave-out hair in a wash n go state. I recently purchased a few different textured bundles from Yvonne hair on hywig.com. The kinky coily hair with gel produced curls very similar to my own.

I guess I didn’t need to try the kinky curly nor the afro kinky curly. They are pretty much the same pattern when gel is applied. Both textures produced larger curls than my own and lost their fluffiness when gel was added.

Now I need to figure out what lengths to purchase in the kinky coily. Each test bundle was purchased in 16” but the kinky coily is about 4” shorter than the other two. After determining the desired length, I’ll start gathering supplies for the install.