Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

neiiya

I'm just completely done with the natural hair community. It is literally the same bs different words. How can naturals complain about self hate among relaxed women yet not acknowledge thriving self hate among the natural hair community. There are type 4 naturals that only follow type 3 blogs and channels begging these women to tell them how to get their type 4 hair to look like theirs.

Those women are stupid.

BLOOP

naija24

I think setting realistic goals for hair growth rate is important too. My goal is 2 inches in 4 months but my growth rate varies. I am happy for progress.

I must manipulate my hair. I must stretch it and smooth and elongate my curls. I have type 4 hair. If I don't, I will get ssks,and tangles since I am heat free. Those ssks and tangles cause damage and breakage.

I agree and what you said makes sense. But there is, to me, a huge difference between stretching your hair to avoid ssks and then trying to manipulate your hair to look like it naturally grows out of your hair like its 3b or something. Because those have become the only kind of natural curls black women are allowed to have in mainstream culture and still be considered beautiful.

julzinha

I agree and what you said makes sense. But there is, to me, a huge difference between stretching your hair to avoid ssks and then trying to manipulate your hair to look like it naturally grows out of your hair like its 3b or something. Because those have become the only kind of natural curls black women are allowed to have in mainstream culture and still be considered beautiful.

THIS!!!

I think the good hair debate has literally shifted into you have a nice hair type or you have a great hair pattern. You have type 4 naturals that will not leave their house in an Afro or being told that Afros are unprofessional by other naturals. So they are doing braid out, twist outs, adding pounds of gel to their hair so it looks more "presentable" or how a person with type 3 wash n gos

Even the use of the phrase curl pattern. If your hair is type 4 especially 4b and 4c, you do NOT have a curl, it is a kink. All of the images that are being reposted and praised are all type 3. I just completely gave up on following any of the blogs. I feel like LHCF is one of the few sites where women are not judged for their hair decisions in relation to dyeing, relaxing, or transitioning.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I absolutely agree. It is important to pick "hair idols" with the same hair texture that you yourself have. I side eye everytime I see this. At least stick with the same race.

I think setting realistic goals for hair growth rate is important too. My goal is 2 inches in 4 months but my growth rate varies. I am happy for progress.

I must manipulate my hair. I must stretch it and smooth and elongate my curls. I have type 4 hair. If I don't, I will get ssks,and tangles since I am heat free. Those ssks and tangles cause damage and breakage.

If there is a method that I see that will benefit my hair I will use it, I don't care what hair type they have. We have type 3s and 4s in my family but we all use the same stuff and methods.

I don't suffer from hair envy. I am consistant with my regimen. I tweak it now and then. I try to cause as little trauma to my hair and that means braid outs and twist outs and elogating my curls. I am not trying to be something I am not. I am styling my hair. Relaxed ladies style their hair too.

We don't need to start this hair envy/hair type war mess. Let us encourage each other. Do you and I'll do me.

I do not want to start Lipstick Alley'ing up in here.

You made one point and then kind of knocked that point down.

The only reason I responded to your post is I am a 4a/b and I use a lot of products that some might take as only for 3's and under.

My family has a lot of 2's and 3's. I'm one of the very few 4's and they now come to me for product use. I use a lot of products based on the fact that it says its for curly hair. Half of the time it doesn't occur to me look at the model of the person because I'm too busy looking at the ingredients and what It was geared to do.

I've actually never followed any YT or Blog person, I just wandered around looking at everyone because my attention span is like a gnat.

I do like LHCF as well because everyone gets down over here. I'm just a product junkie looking for conditioner.

neiiya

You made one point and then kind of knocked that point down.

The only reason I responded to your post is I am a 4a/b and I use a lot of products that some might take as only for 3's and under.

My family has a lot of 2's and 3's. I'm one of the very few 4's and they now come to me for product use. I use a lot of products based on the fact that it says its for curly hair. Half of the time it doesn't occur to me look at the model of the person because I'm too busy looking at the ingredients and what It was geared to do.

I've actually never followed any YT or Blog person, I just wandered around looking at everyone because my attention span is like a gnat.

I do like LHCF as well because everyone gets down over here. I'm just a product junkie looking for conditioner.

I don't think I contradicted myself. I was talking about type 4s with type 1 or 2 as their hair idols. Trying for the same look as a white person and being disappointed. I find it sad.

Hair is hair. I use products for any hair type as long as it works. I am type 4 but kids are 3's but we all use the same product. I buy stuff for our hair needs not types.

CodeRed

This forum is being overly special right now... took almost an hour to post in 1 thread... maybe it came back while I took a break but I am still having trouble...

Guinan

Re-Branding
I don't think I contradicted myself. I was talking about type 4s with type 1 or 2 as their hair idols. Trying for the same look as a white person and being disappointed. I find it sad.

Hair is hair. I use products for any hair type as long as it works. I am type 4 but kids are 3's but we all use the same product. I buy stuff for our hair needs not types.

Double post

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding

What's wrong with liking someone else's hair that isn't the same texture or curl type as you. I like jlo's hair but that doesn't mean me I hate my hair. I might try a style as her's but that doesn't mean i hate my hair nor does it mean that i aspire to have a hair texture like her's or sum deep rooted issues. It's just hair.

But i think i get what ur saying and where ur coming from.

There is more i want to say, but this app keeps crashing.

Last edited:

girlonfire

I am so excited for my Deva cut tomorrow. I think I'm just gonna let my stylist do whatever. I've always wanted to do that. Just say "surprise me" and see what happens. But knowing me and the control freak I am...probably not. But I don't even know what I want but I know I just want my hair to be organized I guess. Like I feel like doing my hair is like lookig for my pen in a pile of papers, I have to lift and pick at so many layers to find what I'm looking for and keeping it organized is a task.
Idk. I'll post pictures somewhere. Maybe here idk.

Lilmama1011

What!?!
Not hair related at all but please elaborate. How are you?

girlonfire I was at cosmetology school and the director came in and said it's a lock down no one can leave or come in. A white guy starred off shooting in a complex and went to another cosmetology and car jacked a teach or student. Then he shot 5 other people. 6 total, one dead. The news said he was on or near the street my school is on. My teacher said they were targeting schools but my SO called me to say they were lying and trying to scare me and he was watching the news and he just jacked a car there. They caught him hours later but I was on edge. I didn't like the way the school did the lock down either. I didn't feel safe at all for obvious reasons. Back door was still opened by one of the office people, they were cooking out and letting people tour the school smh. Where I'm at they aren't use to anything happening so I think they were entertained but where I hear gun, that means survival mode kicks in. It's so much no no s done at the school. My mom was panicking when I texted her.

Lilmama1011

girlonfire I was at cosmetology school and the director came in and said it's a lock down no one can leave or come in. A white guy starred off shooting in a complex and went to another cosmetology and car jacked a teach or student. Then he shot 5 other people. 6 total, one dead. The news said he was on or near the street my school is on. My teacher said they were targeting schools but my SO called me to say they were lying and trying to scare me and he was watching the news and he just jacked a car there. They caught him hours later but I was on edge. I didn't like the way the school did the lock down either. I didn't feel safe at all for obvious reasons. Back door was still opened by one of the office people, they were cooking out and letting people tour the school smh. Where I'm at they aren't use to anything happening so I think they were entertained but where I hear gun, that means survival mode kicks in. It's so much no no s done at the school. My mom was panicking when I texted her.

They caught the guy. He was white and was a skin head. He had a white power tattoo but he wasn't targeting other races. He was hurting whites too. My SO said that he wasn't right in the head and they said they are giving him the death penalty. I didn't know they come up with solutions so quick!

Lilmama1011

I was scared. I instantly went into survival mode looking at all the places I could hide. Other races are stupid bout that. They laugh until bullets let loose in their face smh

Lilmama1011

I hope bunning is doing me some justice. I need to cover that donut thing with something smooth. It kind of got a little stuck when I just redid it

ScorpioBeauty09

Lilmama1011 I am so glad you're okay! That sounds beyond terrifying.

To what I originally came in here to say, I'm going back to braids on Saturday.:grin: It's been nice wearing my hair straight, especially showing off my new growth but I miss my braids and low hair maintenance.:look::yep:

Lilmama1011

The more I work with hair, the lazier I'm getting with my own. Don't get me wrong I still do my weekly wash, deep condition, and moisturize and seal my hair daily, but I'm quickly getting addicted to bunning

naija24

Seriously over my TWA. Maybe it will pass but I miss sleek straight hair. I do not want a relaxer bit it would be nice to press my 1.5 inches of hair.

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I'm mad at myself. I neglected my hair for 2 months and didn't do a protein treatment and now it's coming out in clumps.