Relaxed Hair Thread

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
For the last 3-4 weeks, I have been doing a Aphogee 2 minute with each wash. No protein overload and my hair seems to love it. I don't know what's up with that... I had always been afraid of protein but for whatever reason, it is working well.

I have also incorporated more protein and it's working great. Jobwright

halfindian

I chop chopped yesterday all the way back to arm pit length from mid back length. Will do a reveal and before and after post on my bday :) had fun growing but needed something new.

divachyk

I chop chopped yesterday all the way back to arm pit length from mid back length. Will do a reveal and before and after post on my bday :) had fun growing but needed something new.

Girl yes, halfindian. I'm bored and desire a change. Nix08 tried to help me come up with ideas but I'm not quite sold on what I want. I'm gonna try a few half wigs to see if that pacifies me long enough until this moment passes.

greenandchic

I'm a bit bored too! Thinking of trying some style using heat (roller setting, etc). I need to buy a hooded dryer first though...

divachyk

I'm bored too...

Toying with the idea of color but I'm scared of the extra work involved.

Loving, I want color but color broke my hair off badly, not once but twice pre-hhj. However, circumstances differed. I was having my hair done by my a relative / prof stylist who skimped on my head (in hindsight). Mom, sis & I got our hair done for free and there were many steps skipped now that I know about hair care. That being said, maybe that is why it broke BUT I'm scared to trust it.

I want braids but the last time I had them was a disaster also -- matted hair galore.

My hair is problematic. I'd shave it all off if I know I wouldn't miss it. I've rocked short hair before and loved it. I was bold and daring then. I'm conservative and lazy now.

Last edited:

kikisf

I came this close to buzzing my hair off this weekend. It matts and dreads so easily. My in laws came for the long weekend and we went swimming and my step-mother in law couldn't believe how long it took to do my hair. I just got so sick of my hair and how much time and mental energy I spend on it I was ready to BC. I was thinking about The girl from she's got to have it hairdo only dyed platinum (meaning i would have to stop relaxing) I started hacking a little bit and then my husband told me to put the scissors down and make an appointment. So I ended up treating myself to some heat and just blowing straight. School started this week so I don't have time to do anything about it and even less time to worry about it. Major disaster diverted.

divachyk

Thank goodness for a loving, patient amd logical dh. Some days our judgement is clouded by frustration. We need their good judgement in those moments. Did your few snips cause an issue with eveness & thickness? kikisf

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I cosign with you ladies that are bored and in need of a change. I have moments where I just want to cut it off and start fresh. My hair is very finicky which makes me not want to bother with it half the time. I'm thinking of trying that Komaza analysis maybe cause I get tired of dealing with my hair issues.

kikisf

divachyk the front right is now shorter than left. but i can part it to the other side to disguise it. it starts with seek and destroy SSK and splits and the next thing I know I can't stop. Yes, he is a very good DH. He never complains about my hair products taking over the shower.

flyygirlll2 I have not heard of Komaza before. Is it good? Or are they product pushers? I would like to know once in for all how much protein my hair needs.

halfindian

I came this close to buzzing my hair off this weekend. It matts and dreads so easily. My in laws came for the long weekend and we went swimming and my step-mother in law couldn't believe how long it took to do my hair. I just got so sick of my hair and how much time and mental energy I spend on it I was ready to BC. I was thinking about The girl from she's got to have it hairdo only dyed platinum (meaning i would have to stop relaxing) I started hacking a little bit and then my husband told me to put the scissors down and make an appointment. So I ended up treating myself to some heat and just blowing straight. School started this week so I don't have time to do anything about it and even less time to worry about it. Major disaster diverted.

Sorry to hear about your hair giving you trouble. If you cut hair grows back but don't do anything spontaneous. I have thought for months before cutting. It makes me look more mature.

divachyk

kikisf, Komaza Hair Analysis is awesome. I wrote up a detailed review (with pics) of my process on my blog. They are not product pushers. I would recommend them to anyone. It's very eye opening.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
divachyk the front right is now shorter than left. but i can part it to the other side to disguise it. it starts with seek and destroy SSK and splits and the next thing I know I can't stop. Yes, he is a very good DH. He never complains about my hair products taking over the shower. flyygirlll2 I have not heard of Komaza before. Is it good? Or are they product pushers? I would like to know once in for all how much protein my hair needs.

I have only bought products from them before. There is a thread on the hair analysis that ladies have done through them and for the most part from what I've read they don't push products but do make recommendations based on your hair's needs.

Like you, I would like to know how much protein I need as well as what my hair's porosity is. Honestly, I never used protein before finding LHCF and my hair thrived so now I'm at a loss cause I'm always hearing how relaxed hair needs protein when my hair did fine without it.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Like you, I would like to know how much protein I need as well as what my hair's porosity is. Honestly, I never used protein before finding LHCF and my hair thrived so now I'm at a loss cause I'm always hearing how relaxed hair needs protein when my hair did fine without it.

I couldn't tell you how much protein you need, but I dumb it down to this: relaxed hair needs protein let's say every 6 weeks while natural hair needs protein every 12 weeks. In a year you would use protein 8 times versus 4 times for natural hair. You need more, because depending on how relaxed you are you need to replenish protein, but you don't need excessive amounts. But it also depends on styling needs. A straight haired natural probably needs as much protein as someone who is relaxed. It just all depends on what you are doing and if t works them don't fall into the trap of using product just because simon says.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Mizani's new formula of relaxer nearly destroyed my hair:yep: I haven't been as into my hair lately so I thought it was my negligence but after switching to Olive Oil's relaxer I see that it was the Mizani leaving my roots and few inches beyond, dry and constantly tangling:nono: I don't know what it was but I'm happy to have resolved it. I've cut and probably lost my fair share of hair as a result:nono:

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I couldn't tell you how much protein you need, but I dumb it down to this: relaxed hair needs protein let's say every 6 weeks while natural hair needs protein every 12 weeks. In a year you would use protein 8 times versus 4 times for natural hair. You need more, because depending on how relaxed you are you need to replenish protein, but you don't need excessive amounts. But it also depends on styling needs. A straight haired natural probably needs as much protein as someone who is relaxed. It just all depends on what you are doing and if t works them don't fall into the trap of using product just because simon says.

Thank you. My hair still has texture, so it's not completely bone straight and I don't use direct heat much unless its on warm or cool when I decide to blow dry. When I used to wear it bone straight years ago though, thats when I wasn't using protein and my hair was fine despite that. I'm not sure if this has to do with strand thickness or what. I'm still trying to figure things out.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Mizani's new formula of relaxer nearly destroyed my hair:yep: I haven't been as into my hair lately so I thought it was my negligence but after switching to Olive Oil's relaxer I see that it was the Mizani leaving my roots and few inches beyond, dry and constantly tangling:nono: I don't know what it was but I'm happy to have resolved it. I've cut and probably lost my fair share of hair as a result:nono:

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Was it lye? I've used MBB lye and I hated it, my hair was dry and just a mess for a while due to that.

sunnieb

Nix08 oh no! Glad you've recovered but dang!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

Evolving78

Yep I don't mess with that stuff anymore. Box perm treated me better and Nairobi.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

That's kinda why I stopped using it.

MilkChocolateOne

Mizani butter blends is the reason why I am natural.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Geez I guess I haven't been listening to you guys. . So many of you had issues with mizani:nono:
The older formula (lye) is what I used once I started my hair journey but found this new batch that supposedly had better straightening ability and less smell. ..I almost went right back to Motions (what I used pre journey) but the girl at the bss gently shook her head and handed me a bottle of the olive oil:grin:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Geez I guess I haven't been listening to you guys. . So many of you had issues with mizani:nono: The older formula (lye) is what I used once I started my hair journey but found this new batch that supposedly had better straightening ability and less smell. ..I almost went right back to Motions (what I used pre journey) but the girl at the bss gently shook her head and handed me a bottle of the olive oil:grin:

My only issue with olive oil was that it took out too much texture for me. Otherwise, it was fine for me.