Ok...now, how about a R U Relaxed 4 Life Thread!

Nice & Wavy

RavenIvygurl said:
I hope that helps!

That was an excellent post! You were very honest about how u feel and I so do appreciate u for that.

Thank u so much for ckearing up some things for me.

Bless you!

Nice & Wavy

blackbarbie said:
Very good thread Nice and Wavy. Hope you can get some insight from the ladies that will help you make a good decision for you. I need to go and read that "R U Natural 4 Life" thread to get some more insight about going natural......

BB

Thanks, blackbarbie...I appreciate your response. Being a natural, I know both sides (relaxed & natural) and I know that I will make the right decision. It does help to have info from all of you ladies, gives a lot of insight. You have been very helpful!

mkenya

It's interesting that you should start this thread because just this past week, I was telling myself how I LOVE having relaxed hair...

Why are you relaxed?
I didn't enjoy my hair when I was natural. I wore it straight which meant I had to take the time to straighten it and that's a lot of work. I figured that if I'm going to wear it straight, I might as well relax it and not have to deal with the high maintenance of natural hair. From seeing both the beautiful natural and relaxed heads on this board, I know I can have beautiful hair either way but relaxed hair is less maintenance. I want to have long hair, but just the thought of detangling/ styling mid back natural hair made me jump quickly onto the relaxed bandwagon. I also like the straight look. And also (as if I haven't given enough reasons above :) ), since my natural hair is high maintenance and since I really don't want to spend any more time than I have to on my hair, I was always in braids, so I never enjoyed my own hair. It was more of a chore than a pleasure.

Will you stay relaxed even though you have read many threads/posts about what members say about being natural?
Yes. I was relaxed about 4 years ago, then natural, then now I'm back to relaxed. It's so tempting to go back to natural, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that going back and forth is counterproductive. A couple of days before I relaxed, I saw Poohbear's curls and I almost changed my mind about relaxing, but like I said, experience has taught me that going back & forth, changing my mind takes me nowhere. If I had stayed relaxed 4 yrs ago, I'd have had long thick hair by now, but instead of that, I'm just starting

What is it about relaxed hair that you like/love/adore?
Washing my hair!! Washing is not a big affair. I don't have to schedule a couple of hours of hair time. I just hop onto the shower and wash and in 20 minutes I can be out of the shower with clean hair that doesn't need detangling. I also like the fact that it looks good, with just about zero maintenance. (I'm very lazy when it comes to hair care. I had my last braids from October to March)

Will you ever go natural? / Why/Why not?
For now, the answer is no. I really like the concept of having natural hair, but it just doesn't seem to work out very well with me. I'd have to study about how to take care of it, and need some time where I experiment and I'm not sure I want to invest in all that. With relaxed hair, I already have the knowledge. With natural hair, I'd have to build my knowledge base first. (Ironic, isn't it? One would think that I should know how to take care of my natural hair better than relaxed hair). It's not a total write off, but I think I'll be relaxed for the next 10 yrs.

What relaxer do you use now?
ORS Olive Oil

What are the best products that you use on your relaxed hair that sets it apart from all the rest?
I haven't tried that many. I like Pantene R&N, Definitely cholesteral & Olive oil and CON shampoo

Why are you relaxed?

My husband likes straight hair and he wanted me to & in my world there are alot of social perks to having straight hair. I am about 70% relaxed. I think relaxed hair is pretty & versatile but I also want to maintain some of my curl pattern. I was natural for 4 years. I got tired of blow drying & flat ironing weekly. I felt I learned enought to properly care for relaxed hair.

Will you stay relaxed even though you have read many threads/posts about what members say about being natural?

I have been there and done that already so I mostly ignore those threads. My husband likes my hair relaxed so I probably will stay this way for a while. My choice would be singles in a ponytail.

The styling versatility. I don't look bald headed from shrinkage even when I have long hair. I can play in the water or be in a humid area and not get a bouffant.

Will you ever go natural?

Not anytime soon.

Why/Why not?

Takes to much work to make it straight when I need it to be.

ORS - I am still not sure about this relaxer.

What are the best products that you use on your relaxed hair that sets it apart from all the rest?

NTM Silk Touch sealed with coconut grease
Keraphix
Humectress
Lekair Cholestorol (orangy pink color)
Satin scrunchies, bonnets, headscarves, pillow cases - I know it's not a product

OneInAMillion

Please share:

Why are you relaxed?

Like Blackbarbie...I had my hair pressed and natural until college. I didn't know who was going to do my hair when I got there, so I begged for a relaxer :lol: . I didn't really even know what I was getting into to, I just knew that all my friends were goint to local Domincan Salon's for $10 wash-n-sets and I wanted my hair done all the time too :D . BTW, my mom still get's a press-n-curl too BB!

I'm definitely not going to stay relaxed, mainly because I know that one mishap (overprocessing) can screw my hair up big time. That's how I found this site. My hair was overprocessed with a No lye relaxer, became extremely dry and thin. Actually, when I found this site I was looking to transition. But I saw how so many women were able to gain healthy relaxed hair and I wanted to see if I could reach my length goals.

I love swangin hair! I love that I can get a wash-n-set that's relatively inexpensive and that I have to do little to my hair after that. Other than wash day, I do very little to maintain my hair. I pincurl at night and let it loose in the morning. I'm just so used to going to the hairdresser.
Also, I really like being texturized because I can maintain a good portion of my hair's original thickness. It's a happy medium--I'll never relax bone straight again.

Will you ever go natural? Why/Why not?

Absolutely. I'm really curious about how I will look with a full head of natural hair. Being on this board and seeing all these lovely heads of natural hair makes me want to see what mine is like. What I really like about natural hair is that I RARELY see two people that have the same type of hair. It's so varied, and I just want to see how mine looks. One of the reasons I stretch for long periods is because I'm trying to prep myself for what I know will be a very long transition. However, I've decided that my goal for now is length...after I reach my desired length goals, I'm going for a long transition.

I use Nairobi Mild Lye to texturize. I've also used Dudley's Mild Lye and loved it.

SEDAL KERAFORCE!!!!! The best thing for detangling texturized hair. The shampoo, conditioner, and rinse are my staples. Also, my hair loves being moisturized with ORS carrot oil and sealed with some carrot oil.

jgg

I don't think i'll get rid of my relaxed hair anytime soon. I know alot of people going natural and I think its great; but i'm going to ride this relaxer thing out and see what happens:)

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
RavenIvygurl said:
Being a dark-skinned natural just wasn't something I could deal with and I would often cry about it.

Awww RIG

Candy_C

Why are you relaxed?

cos relaxer was slapped on my hair from 11, cos my mum couldnt be bothered to handle it anymore!

for the time being - but even when i do go "natural" my natural hair will definately get dyed anyway, like a honey gold and caramel brown colour. cos my natural hair is quite a boring off red colour.

its soooooooooooooooooooooo easy to handle!and it also suits my face. but i will make my natural hair easy to handle and it WILL look good, once i've got the b*lls to go through with it!

yep, i will be relxed for 10years next year, and thats enough for me! for now! i will grow my relaxed hair to hiplength, take lots and lots of photographs, and then go natural!

Why/Why not? .

cos i'm not looking to put chemicals so near to my brain for the rest of my life. i also want to be natural, as in NATURAL inside and out. i want to be health yand use natural products too. i also want to grow my natural hair to the length i'm @ now. and i cant think of a better time to start. if i transition for a year or 2, my natural hair will be shoulder length, and two years after that it will be waistlength!

elasta qp, sensitive...one of the mildest out there, and its gave me nothing but great results...i WILL miss my relaxed hair, but i dont do much to it anyway BECAUSE its relaxed! i cant really dye it blonde if i wanted, (it would drop out) i dont use heat on it, (cos relaxed hair cant take much heat in general)and to be honest i'm very boring with it.

KERACARE! although i may be saying buy to the daily keracare stuff i use, as i will use

Avocado butter, mixed with water and coconut oil daily when i return to natural :)

i will still use keracare humecto though and the leave in con, cos its very moisturizing.

sareca

Why are you relaxed?

I'm texlaxed, but I did that because I love WnGs (no maintenance) and rollersets (without direct heat).

I've been natural. I already know what it's about.

I LOVE that my WnGs have some length to them. This same length with natural hair would probably be a TWA. :ohwell:

Probably, but not anytime soon.

Why/Why not?

I want to see what mid-back length hair looks like on me. I've never had hair that long. If my hair were natural it would take 15 years (if then) to be mid-back w/ shrinkage.

Phyto II

Nexxus, Aveda, henna, aphogee 2-minute or fiberguard by affirm (as needed) and anything w/ silk and keratin proteins and w/o cones. That includes DL Olive Oil, Salerm 21, Qhemet Olive Oil Detangling Conditioner. Oh and amla and camella oil have been Godsends.

ETA: Keracare moisturizer w/ jojoba or Keracare hairdress

TropicalRose

ill chime in eventhough ive been natural for almost 2 years (will mark 2 years in june). the responses have been interesting

i STOPPED relaxing because i didnt know why i continued to relax. i was "trained" to relax and i didnt understand why the black women in my family felt that we had to. so i ended up stretching out a relaxer for about 5 months and got interested in what i saw coming out of my head. i cut my hair at that point also... the other thing that pushed me to natural was that my hair ended up being the longest it has ever been (few inches to bra strap) at the end of my 5 month stretch. it thickened up too. to me, that was a sign that frequent relaxers were damaging to my hair

i could have easily just relaxed my new growth then but i didnt want to because i couldnt find a reason to do so :/ its been rough but i love it and will never go back. sure ive thought about it MANY times but i imagine that i would become a "stretching" queen and only relax every 3-4 months. i remember how hard it was to deal with 2 textures (my problem was that my natural hair wouldnt take to the products that i used on my relaxed hair). i dont want to deal with that again!!

im glad that you guys know what you want to do and are happy. in the end, thats all that matters. happy growing :)

edited to add-BUT SOME ADVICE for you guys (so that i can stay on topic since this is a pro-relax thread lol): the ladies who stretch relaxers know whats up! i can not stress that enough. relaxers damage your hair regardless but limiting to 4 relaxers per year will result in SO MUCH growth because there is less breakage and less thinning of the hair. i was in awe after my 5 month stretch bbuutt i ended up chopping. i would advise all of you to give it a try. just make sure you detangle well and find products that work with both textures

Last edited:

Southernbella.

Please share:

Why are you relaxed? For a long time, it was because I didn't know anything else. Now, I'm choosing to stay relaxed because it's easy, I like the look, and my hair is healthy. Plus, I haven't had to set foot in a salon in almost 2 years!

Will you stay relaxed even though you have read many threads/posts about what members say about being natural? Not forever. I want to experience my natural hair at some point.

What is it about relaxed hair that you like/love/adore? Hmmm... My hair never looks "undone". That may be more a function of length than anything, but I can roll out of bed, let my hair down, and go, and it still looks nice. Also, I like the movement after my rollersets.:D

Will you ever go natural? Definitely. If I like it, I'll stay that way. If I don't, I'll relax again.

Why/Why not? Because I want to experience my natural hair.

What relaxer do you use now? Vitale Mo' Body.

What are the best products that you use on your relaxed hair that sets it apart from all the rest? Mane and Tail Super Moisturizing Line. It gives me just the right balance of moisture and protein.

Thanks, ladies....just wanted to know!

:D

Last edited:

Aveena

Why are you relaxed?
Texlax! and loving it :)

Absolutely!!

Easy to manage and looser that is easier to get bone staight IF I wanted to.

No

Why/Why not?
I went natural three times in my life. I learned my hair. I just prefer the straighter version of my hair.

Silk Elements Mild

Leave-in conditioners....deep conditioners....any conditioners really!!!

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

thanks so much ladies for your responses...I really do like to hear what all the ladies (relax, texlax and natural) have to say about their hair.