Relaxed Hair Thread

twolala

I'm 11 months post and I'm bout to go crazy..the two textures are gonna drive me crazy lol..I don't think I'm going to do the whole once a year relaxer thing anymore..I'm going to start getting it done twice a year

SuchaLady

^I just decided to increase my relaxer frequency as well. It's people relaxing once a month and I'm fretting about every 4 months :rofl:

sunnieb

I stretched almost 19 weeks this time purely because of laziness and procrastination.

No more! Once I make it to 3 months or so, I'm going to relax. That'll put me at 3-4 times a year. I'm good with that.

Once upon a time, I was one of those monthly relaxers and I still had hair - damaged hair but hair. :look:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I stretched almost 19 weeks this time purely because of laziness and procrastination.

No more! Once I make it to 3 months or so, I'm going to relax. That'll put me at 3-4 times a year. I'm good with that.

Once upon a time, I was one of those monthly relaxers and I still had hair - damaged hair but hair. :look:

sunnieb, I did that too but I didn't know it was damaged. My hair looked great tbh. I was using box relaxers so I'm sure the milder relaxers helped me not be bald and raggedy head looking.

sunnieb

sunnieb, I did that too but I didn't know it was damaged. My hair looked great tbh. I was using box relaxers so I'm sure the milder relaxers helped me not be bald and raggedy head looking.

Girl I used whatever my stylist had on hand! :lol:

Folk told me my hair was pretty all the time.

I'm looking into keratin treatments too to allow me to stretch longer. If I can stretch until the summer, that would be great! If not, 8-10 weeks will do for me.

Take it from someone who did three testaments One month after the other, it is a waste of money. If you mean the Brazilian keratin blow outs that is. I paid 200 + for each because I stupidly believed my stylist who said because of the courseness of my hair, I needed them done more frequently for the curl pattern to stick. What about the damn new growth? It didn't occur to either one of us!

Not only did my hair revert after the second wash, I had to rely on heat to keep the hair stretched and not nappy looking.

No doubt the hair looks and feel great a week after the treatment but I attribute it to the insane amount of flat ironing and serums.

I had no idea what I was doing to my hair last year. I just knew I needed to change how I maintain it. Though most of my friends and family were trying the natural route ( I come from a lazy bunch, most gave up) I knew nappy looking hair is not for me. Never.

So I jumped on the BK bandwagon when it was time for a touchup.

I wish I'd found this site before. My hair was already healthy from stretching so it didn't suffer too much heat damage but I've cut out all heat since December. After the failure of BK, I researched and found Phyto Index and I can't say how happy I am to being back to relaxed. My last TU was the last week of Dec and my NG is still manageable. I have a LOT of it.

I'm focusing on getting my hair as healthy as I possibly can before incorporating mild heat into my regimen. I'm looking at sometime in the summer.

Sorry for the long post. In short, if you want to stretch, find another way to do so. Hell, if you must, pick up the flatiron yourself and save yourself hundreds of dollars.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Hope you don't mind me asking. What are you doing to the edges? Mine aren't bad but they could be better.

11228, first started by lessening the styles requiring pulling at my hairline. I never pulled my hair tight but I stopped doing them out of precaution. Started relaxing my edges every other touch up vs every touch up and I started seeing progress. I now don't relax my edges at all and that has helped temendously.

ForumRunner_20150308_034816.jpg

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Take it from someone who did three testaments One month after the other, it is a waste of money. If you mean the Brazilian keratin blow outs that is. I paid 200 + for each because I stupidly believed my stylist who said because of the courseness of my hair, I needed them done more frequently for the curl pattern to stick. What about the damn new growth? It didn't occur to either one of us! Not only did my hair revert after the second wash, I had to rely on heat to keep the hair stretched and not nappy looking. No doubt the hair looks and feel great a week after the treatment but I attribute it to the insane amount of flat ironing and serums. I had no idea what I was doing to my hair last year. I just knew I needed to change how I maintain it. Though most of my friends and family were trying the natural route ( I come from a lazy bunch, most gave up) I knew nappy looking hair is not for me. Never. So I jumped on the BK bandwagon when it was time for a touchup. I wish I'd found this site before. My hair was already healthy from stretching so it didn't suffer too much heat damage but I've cut out all heat since December. After the failure of BK, I researched and found Phyto Index and I can't say how happy I am to being back to relaxed. My last TU was the last week of Dec and my NG is still manageable. I have a LOT of it. I'm focusing on getting my hair as healthy as I possibly can before incorporating mild heat into my regimen. I'm looking at sometime in the summer. Sorry for the long post. In short, if you want to stretch, find another way to do so. Hell, if you must, pick up the flatiron yourself and save yourself hundreds of dollars.

I lurk here from time to time because I love seeing all the lovely hair in here.... ;)

This is a great warning. Thanks for sharing this experience. I was thinking of BKT myself but I keep hearing not good things and reading this today confirmed it (once again).

Evolving78

I lurk here from time to time because I love seeing all the lovely hair in here.... ;) This is a great warning. Thanks for sharing this experience. I was thinking of BKT myself but I keep hearing not good things and reading this today confirmed it (once again).
well I did the beautiful textures naturally straight TMS system and I really like the results so far! Flat ironing my new growth was so easy. My hair felt soft and smooth. I plan on using the Anti reversion shampoo and conditioner for the 6 week time period that it is suppose to last. I may switch to kera minerals, or Aveda next go around. I am transitioning to texlax. I would like to stretch my relaxer for as long as possible, so I can have enough new growth to start trimming away my bonelaxed ends.

Evolving78

well I did the beautiful textures naturally straight TMS system and I really like the results so far! Flat ironing my new growth was so easy. My hair felt soft and smooth. I plan on using the Anti reversion shampoo and conditioner for the 6 week time period that it is suppose to last. I may switch to kera minerals, or Aveda next go around. I am transitioning to texlax. I would like to stretch my relaxer for as long as possible, so I can have enough new growth to start trimming away my bonelaxed ends.
also, I don't have a problem with heat. I can use heat weekly with no problem. The BKT I wouldn't do because your hair has to go through a lot of manipulation and heat usage during the initial process.

CluelessJL

So I think it's fair to say that my first attempt at a twist out was a failure...five flat twists and not a single curl - how does that even happen?? :perplexed

Attachments

• 20150308_135616.jpg
    20150308_135616.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 88

shasha8685

So I think it's fair to say that my first attempt at a twist out was a failure...five flat twists and not a single curl - how does that even happen?? :perplexed

Did you use a product to help hold the curl? I have to use Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream anytime I do any type of "-out" otherwise the curls won't last for too long....

CluelessJL

Thanks Lilmama1011 and shasha8685 :) I did try it on dry hair the day before wash day so I could wash it out again (didn't have high hopes for the first attempt!), but I did m&s first with more product than normal. Guess it wasn't enough! Will try on damp with different products next time :yep:

SuchaLady

Is anyone here left with varying textures and just deal with it? I feel like in a couple years all my hair will have different levels of straightness lol. Which I don't mind because once hair is blowdried/straightened/styled it's not distinguishable.

This is the reason I've been wanting to switch over to a BKT; I can do that process as slow as I want to ensure optimal results. They haven't been around long enough to work the kinks out (no pun intended) for me to experiment with them though.

Or I could just shave my head a la Amber Rose :look:

greenandchic

Is anyone here left with varying textures and just deal with it? I feel like in a couple years all my hair will have different levels of straightness lol. Which I don't mind because once hair is blowdried/straightened/styled it's not distinguishable. This is the reason I've been wanting to switch over to a BKT; I can do that process as slow as I want to ensure optimal results. They haven't been around long enough to work the kinks out (no pun intended) for me to experiment with them though. Or I could just shave my head a la Amber Rose :look:

I have two different textures, at least in my hair. The bottom half is more textured than the newer half. Lye vs no lye. I just deal for now and be careful how I comb and de tangle my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I did something slightly different this week that worked so well, I'm going to keep doing it. Duh!

Instead of co-washing with just Organics Olive Oil Replensher condish or Tresseme Keratin Smooth condish, I mixed the two together, with slightly more Replensher on dump hair and covered with a disposable shower cap for 20 minutes. My hair was the most softest and tangle free I've ever achieved without combing. I washed it out with warm water followed by cool. The shed hair just melted right out under the running water.

I'm going to do this every 2/3 days 3 times and wash/protein/DC for the next few weeks to see how my hair handles it. I usually worry about moisture overload when I do back to back co wash with moisturizing condish but I think I found a way around it.

PS- has anyone tried the banding method to strech new growth? I'm a wannabe seamstress with many spools of thread laying around. I think I'm going to try this method now that I'm 10wks post.

Last edited:

I wash in 4 sections, t shirt dry till about it's 80% dry. Moisturize with QP olive oil and mango, seal with coconut oil (sunflower seed oil) if I use Anti Snap and braid in 4 sections. I gently section hair into 4 again after I take off the T-Shirt.

I've been getting away with wearing hats over silk scarves at work because of the bitter cold. I have to find a new strategy now that the weather is warming up. Winter had its uses!

danysedai

Is anyone here left with varying textures and just deal with it? I feel like in a couple years all my hair will have different levels of straightness lol. Which I don't mind because once hair is blowdried/straightened/styled it's not distinguishable.

This is the reason I've been wanting to switch over to a BKT; I can do that process as slow as I want to ensure optimal results. They haven't been around long enough to work the kinks out (no pun intended) for me to experiment with them though.

Or I could just shave my head a la Amber Rose :look:

My hair is like that. I've been cutting off the bone straight ends and now I noticed that on the left side I have some sections where the hair is texlaxed and then it goes quite kinky and pouffy then texlaxed again, then bone straight. When in rollersets or flat ironed it all looks the same so I'll just leave it alone for now.

SuchaLady

Which relaxer are you currently using? Wasnt your virgin relaxer Silk Elements?

I have two different textures, at least in my hair. The bottom half is more textured than the newer half. Lye vs no lye. I just deal for now and be careful how I comb and de tangle my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

See thats why I dont really mind. Once styled/manipulated you cant tell so should I not even aim for consistency? :lol: I dont care about slightly textured....I go nuts when my hair relaxes too straight (I do get some reversion later on though)

P.S. How is your RPG Show wig holding up?

My hair is like that. I've been cutting off the bone straight ends and now I noticed that on the left side I have some sections where the hair is texlaxed and then it goes quite kinky and pouffy then texlaxed again, then bone straight. When in rollersets or flat ironed it all looks the same so I'll just leave it alone for now.

CluelessJL

I'm interested in learning to rollerset, but I'm wondering if there's any point at the moment. Whilst my ends aren't overly damaged, they are rather uneven; I feel like I'd have problems using rollers as little bits would ping out all over the place as I tried to roll. Is this the case? Would I be better waiting until my ends are thicker and evened out before I try rollers?

TIA :)

iLurk

Do any of you do the mid protein step when relaxing? i usually do it but thinking about skipping it next time i relax

Lilmama1011

Do any of you do the mid protein step when relaxing? i usually do it but thinking about skipping it next time i relax

iLurk yes. After neutralizing and shampooing my hair, I apply a hard protein like milks creek biotin as I work toward my other sections and then rinse and do a dc that's moisture based without protein in it at all

shasha8685

Back to washing weekly and using protein every week and my new growth is like whoa at 10 weeks post. I want to relax in May but I may have to push it up to mid-April.

SuchaLady

CluelessJL No, you do not have to wait. Use endpapers, they will keep the ends together and smooth.

I'm interested in learning to rollerset, but I'm wondering if there's any point at the moment. Whilst my ends aren't overly damaged, they are rather uneven; I feel like I'd have problems using rollers as little bits would ping out all over the place as I tried to roll. Is this the case? Would I be better waiting until my ends are thicker and evened out before I try rollers?

TIA :)

shiney_sapphire

iLurk I recently purchased Paul Mitchell relaxer again. I usually purchase salon quality products and most of them have mid protein step or some type of conditioner before neutralizing.