Relaxed Hair Thread

MzSwift

hey everyone! So I just relaxed again about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to look through this thread for info but thought I'd introduce myself instead of just randomly posting a reply to someone asking a question.

My hair is shoulder length. I was natural for one year before I relaxed. I didn't have the patience to wait 2 more years before I saw length and I was so tired of having a fro I couldn't do it anymore. Plus no matter what I do my hair was frizzy. microfiber towels helped, but it was never to the degree I wanted.

Now I throw my hair in a messy bun and keep it pushing. It also knocked a good 5 years off my face age wise (my family claims it knocked off 10)
I get my relaxer at a salon. I moisturize with cantu leave in and oyin handmade hair dew right after so my hair's not stiff and then I seal with jojoba oil. I have been air drying so far. One time I blow dried, but I haven't flat ironed and don't plan to until my next relaxer. But, I want to start round brushing. I feel it's healthier for my hair so I plan to buy a round brush and start perfecting the technique next wash day. I still co wash and use my same shampoo and conditioner. They work just as well. I'm obsessing about my ends, I refuse to have thin end set me back. My goal is waist length.

Congratulations and welcome! :)

KhandiB

Hey, checking in, I haven’t been around in this thread in a while. I really don’t know what in the world is going on with my hair, Im probably about 8-10 weeks post. I cant remember exactly. I haven’t been taking the best care of my hair this year as its been a tough one. My youngest son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes earlier this year, and just life has been hectic!

My hair is kind of spongy and its very very light after washing and conditioning, by light I mean weight, and it will almost airdry by it self in a half an hour. So I wont be relaxing for a while. My edges are thinning too, Ive been bunning the crap out of my hair, lol.

I don’t really know what to do, I think the last time I was in here I said I wanted to cut my hair, and I think I really need to. I had about 2 inches cut off a few months ago and my ends still look weak and my hair doesn’t hold any style. Im just annoyed lol.

Like this annoyed, this is how short I want to cut my hair. LOL!!

Wenbev

@KhandiB , so sorry to hear about your son, it sounds like youve been dealing with a lot of stress. i agree with you on not relaxing right away. you mentioned your hair felt spongy and dries quickly. it sounds like a moisture/protein/porosity imbalance. Even if you decide to cut, it seems you'll still need to make adjustments to address the issues youre currently facing with your hair.
Roux porosity control is a great helper or ACV rinses and egg and molasses with some conditioner can start to manage the protein needs. good luck and if you cut post pics!

abioni

Welcome!
What is the benefit of a round brush versus a brush like Denman?

hey everyone! So I just relaxed again about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to look through this thread for info but thought I'd introduce myself instead of just randomly posting a reply to someone asking a question.

My hair is shoulder length. I was natural for one year before I relaxed. I didn't have the patience to wait 2 more years before I saw length and I was so tired of having a fro I couldn't do it anymore. Plus no matter what I do my hair was frizzy. microfiber towels helped, but it was never to the degree I wanted.

Now I throw my hair in a messy bun and keep it pushing. It also knocked a good 5 years off my face age wise (my family claims it knocked off 10)
I get my relaxer at a salon. I moisturize with cantu leave in and oyin handmade hair dew right after so my hair's not stiff and then I seal with jojoba oil. I have been air drying so far. One time I blow dried, but I haven't flat ironed and don't plan to until my next relaxer. But, I want to start round brushing. I feel it's healthier for my hair so I plan to buy a round brush and start perfecting the technique next wash day. I still co wash and use my same shampoo and conditioner. They work just as well. I'm obsessing about my ends, I refuse to have thin end set me back. My goal is waist length.

abioni

Why don't you get a wig in that first and see you like it.

Like @Wenbev said, cutting it won't solve the issue until you figure out the root cause of the problem.
My hair has been shedding a lot for a while and I don't know the cause. I'm very stressed out lately so that isn't helping. I have thought of cutting it but don't see the point until I figure out how to stop the shedding. I have fine hair and the shedding has made my hair very thin looking.

Hey, checking in, I haven’t been around in this thread in a while. I really don’t know what in the world is going on with my hair, Im probably about 8-10 weeks post. I cant remember exactly. I haven’t been taking the best care of my hair this year as its been a tough one. My youngest son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes earlier this year, and just life has been hectic!

My hair is kind of spongy and its very very light after washing and conditioning, by light I mean weight, and it will almost airdry by it self in a half an hour. So I wont be relaxing for a while. My edges are thinning too, Ive been bunning the crap out of my hair, lol.

I don’t really know what to do, I think the last time I was in here I said I wanted to cut my hair, and I think I really need to. I had about 2 inches cut off a few months ago and my ends still look weak and my hair doesn’t hold any style. Im just annoyed lol.

Like this annoyed, this is how short I want to cut my hair. LOL!!

Wenbev

@abioni I had that issue a couple months before along with breakage. It was so bad at the nape, that it looked like I had an undercut.
I incorporated egg, molasses, oils and conditioner 2x a week and reduced shampooing to every 10 days. i also cowashed and oil rinsed every other day. On days that I did shampoo, I would prepoo with heat for at least 30 min and dc'd every time.
now, no more breakage or shedding

KhandiB

Thanks. My son is doing awesome. Financially it is a stresser, let me tell you!

I was just going to cut it because when I wear it out it just depresses me, I plan on working on the health as it grows. I don't know.

But I don't want to get braids or crochets because they will pull on my edges. I will post pictures later tonight of my edges. My edges aren't as bad as some but its getting there.

@KhandiB , so sorry to hear about your son, it sounds like youve been dealing with a lot of stress. i agree with you on not relaxing right away. you mentioned your hair felt spongy and dries quickly. it sounds like a moisture/protein/porosity imbalance. Even if you decide to cut, it seems you'll still need to make adjustments to address the issues youre currently facing with your hair.
Roux porosity control is a great helper or ACV rinses and egg and molasses with some conditioner can start to manage the protein needs. good luck and if you cut post pics!

MzSwift

Thanks. My son is doing awesome. Financially it is a stresser, let me tell you!

I was just going to cut it because when I wear it out it just depresses me, I plan on working on the health as it grows. I don't know.

But I don't want to get braids or crochets because they will pull on my edges. I will post pictures later tonight of my edges. My edges aren't as bad as some but its getting there.

Great advice in here! So glad to hear that your son is doing well with his new diagnosis! You guys must be doing a good job helping him to not be afraid about it.

I think once you're able to get back on a regular cleansing and conditioning schedule, your hair will pull itself back together. I've been on this HHJ for about 10 years now and I've noticed when we get hair lazy, our hair suffers (whether natural or relaxed). But once we get back to even a basic daily, weekly or biweekly routine, our hair responds very well to it.

Maybe you can try consolidating some steps to make the routine easier to complete? I gave birth to a High Needs baby last year and this past year and a half has been incredibly draining!! My hair suffered because I just could not find the energy to do it on a regular basis. So I had to simplify my regi. Instead of doing a protein tx for 20 mins followed by a moisturizing DC for 30 mins, I just mix the two and DC under a conditioning cap for 20 minutes.

Speaking of crochet, I'm in crochet Havana twists right now. Only took me 3 hours to do vs 25-36 hours it takes to do my individual Senegalese twists!! I'm totally converted now! Lol

Also, have you looked into the "lazy girl" crochet styles? I did a set last year and I'm sold on that too. No cornrows and some ladies don't even use any braids as a base. They were very easy on my edges. Let me find the videos and I'll post them. GL to you, sis! :)

Wenbev

I only kept mine in for 4 weeks. I'm sure if done right someone could get a few more weeks our of it. But a month of no manipulation is a good PS in my book!
this is true. if i could manage even two weeks i would be happy, especially if I could reuse the hair for another two weeks. i guess i was thinking it wouldnt be so secure and slip out

MzSwift

this is true. if i could manage even two weeks i would be happy, especially if I could reuse the hair for another two weeks. i guess i was thinking it wouldnt be so secure and slip out

I had no slipping. I actually put it in because my baby was pulling my real hair. So even with him pulling, none of it came out. If you pull it through the loop multiple times you should be ok. Give it a try! It was so easy and quick. And I found that the weaving cap helped make it feel more secure to me.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Relaxed ladies: Kerastase is the mfing truth. Their new line has my hair stronger than ever. Now I'm sharing this with y'all since my hair is straight 99% of the time. It keeps my color treated, heat trained, fine strands on my head. And looking and smelling good. Try the trial sizes first or get samples. I'm willing to bet you'll get hooked like me.

Extentioniste is the name. I got 3 of the products for $10 each due to a typo. Now they are priced at $20. Don't buy the shampoo. Just the mask or conditioner. A little goes a long way though. That 2 oz mask will probably last a few months.

sunnieb

I'm settling in with my new normal hair routine:

Sunday:
Clarify (Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo)
Moisture (Nexxus Therappe) or Protein (Nexxus Emergencee)
Deep Condition (Nexxus Humectress or Nexxus Emergencee)
Air dry with Shea butter mix and Rusk Smoother

Monday:
Cowash with Garnier or Herbal Essence
Airdry

Tuesday: off

Wednesday:
Cowash with WEN
Air dry

Thursday: off

Friday:
Cowash with Garnier or Herbal Essence
Air dry

Saturday: off, but lately I've been cowashing with Garnier or Herbal Essence because it's so dern hot.

It seems to be working. I've gotten 3 inches of growth in most of my damaged areas in 6 months, so I'm right at the average of getting 1/2 inch of hair a month. :)

Wenbev

I had no slipping. I actually put it in because my baby was pulling my real hair. So even with him pulling, none of it came out. If you pull it through the loop multiple times you should be ok. Give it a try! It was so easy and quick. And I found that the weaving cap helped make it feel more secure to me.

LushLox

Relaxed ladies: Kerastase is the mfing truth. Their new line has my hair stronger than ever. Now I'm sharing this with y'all since my hair is straight 99% of the time. It keeps my color treated, heat trained, fine strands on my head. And looking and smelling good. Try the trial sizes first or get samples. I'm willing to bet you'll get hooked like me.

Extentioniste is the name. I got 3 of the products for $10 each due to a typo. Now they are priced at $20. Don't buy the shampoo. Just the mask or conditioner. A little goes a long way though. That 2 oz mask will probably last a few months.

Thanks for this, I thought you wasn't that impressed with Extentioniste or perhaps that was just the shampoo?

I'll give it ago. :yep:

sunnieb

Anybody remember hairlista.com? Unfortunately, the site is no longer active.

But Hairlicious still has a blog/website here. And she's very active on IG.

Just another of my relaxed hair idols that's still in the game. I've learned to copy/paste more than ever though. Now that I'm back to growing my hair, I've been trying to look up relaxed websites I had saved. Most are gone. :(

I remember back in 2008, there were so many blogs about HHJs. I miss it, but thankfully I printed a ton of stuff from those days. I created a 'Hair file in the office and would throw random info in there. So glad I did!

MzSwift

I think this set of crochet twists has re-sparked my PSing bug. PSing 90% of the time is how I was able to retain and reach milestones. The only difference is that I'm relaxed now. I have to consider when to relax. I don't want to relax just to go under another PS right afterwards. But I also don't want to have to deal with a demarcation line or manipulating lots of new growth and losing any progress as a result. Hmmm.

Also, I think all of the PSing handicapped me before because when my hair finally reached long lengths, I didn't know what to do with it. I wasn't using the grow out time to practice hairstyles and I was overly concerned about losing length.

SuchaLady

Just another of my relaxed hair idols that's still in the game. I've learned to copy/paste more than ever though. Now that I'm back to growing my hair, I've been trying to look up relaxed websites I had saved. Most are gone. :(

I remember back in 2008, there were so many blogs about HHJs. I miss it, but thankfully I printed a ton of stuff from those days. I created a 'Hair file in the office and would throw random info in there. So glad I did!

I’m sorry to hear her site is gone. I peeked in not too long ago and there were still discussions going so I thought all was well :sad:

Last edited:

klsjackson

I agree!! It is so hard to,find relaxed hair blogs anymore. Even on this site it’s like everyone is natural. But I like my relaxed hair. I am currently learning to stretch my relaxers and finding the products that work best for me. This thread is my lifeline.

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
Totally agree @klsjackson! I like my relaxed hair too :) hope this thread keeps going. So much useful information.......e.g. hair retention techniques, vitamin recommendations, links to articles, hair product recommendations, etc. Prior to discovering this site, I was knowledgeable about hair but had so much more to learn :-(. I used to retouch every 5 to 6 six weeks, which was way too soon and I didn't know how to properly manipulate my new growth in a way to encourage retention. I just didn't pay attention to what I was doing. As I mentioned in another thread, my hair is thriving now. I live in a humid area so it's buns, buns, and more buns :)!

KhandiB

Oh I am definitely going to review those video's.

My go to was a bun forever and I think I just made the ponytails so tight, Im paying for it now.

I see some of my edges growing back, and they are unruly, but I am trying my hardest to not pony if I don’t have to. I am wearing a goddess braid I think its called. I haven’t relaxed in a while, I'm trying to get my health on track. A poster upthread suggested to me ACV rinses and Roux Porosity Control. I've done the Porosity control twice and it has really helped. I bought Organic ACV and will try one this weekend.

I also bought the Shea Moisture JBCO/ACV Strength and Repair shampoo and masque. My hair has definitely been feeling better. I am having a problem with moisture. I bought a Butter Cream from TGIN and I have a curl pudding from Lottabody (which is awesome!)

Im trying to find styles for myself , that are low manipulating and still look pretty and feminine. Im definitely going to watch those crochet videos. Ive been wanting to learn how to do it.

Great advice in here! So glad to hear that your son is doing well with his new diagnosis! You guys must be doing a good job helping him to not be afraid about it.

I think once you're able to get back on a regular cleansing and conditioning schedule, your hair will pull itself back together. I've been on this HHJ for about 10 years now and I've noticed when we get hair lazy, our hair suffers (whether natural or relaxed). But once we get back to even a basic daily, weekly or biweekly routine, our hair responds very well to it.

Maybe you can try consolidating some steps to make the routine easier to complete? I gave birth to a High Needs baby last year and this past year and a half has been incredibly draining!! My hair suffered because I just could not find the energy to do it on a regular basis. So I had to simplify my regi. Instead of doing a protein tx for 20 mins followed by a moisturizing DC for 30 mins, I just mix the two and DC under a conditioning cap for 20 minutes.

Speaking of crochet, I'm in crochet Havana twists right now. Only took me 3 hours to do vs 25-36 hours it takes to do my individual Senegalese twists!! I'm totally converted now! Lol

Also, have you looked into the "lazy girl" crochet styles? I did a set last year and I'm sold on that too. No cornrows and some ladies don't even use any braids as a base. They were very easy on my edges. Let me find the videos and I'll post them. GL to you, sis! :)

MzSwift

Y'all...

I love watching this sweet lady's videos (on mute -- as I do all videos) because I love that she has low density, long relaxed hair. I feel like there's been this push for unbelievably thick hair and, as a fine haired lady, I know that I will never have that thickness. She does such a wonderful job taking care of her hair.

Having said all of that, THIS is why I'm posting these vids. One year ago, she had to cut her hair due to breakage/damage. I believe she had HL hair that became so damaged that she had to cut to APL. I'm posting both her video from her cut last year and her update video that was posted a few weeks ago. She has made amazing progress!!! To me, she is a testament to the tried and true, Keeping it Simple regimen. I hope that my bonelaxed sistas find this as inspiring as I have.

Big cut due to damage-

Update-

PlanetCybertron

I remember Hairlista.

I used to stay arguing with folks over stuff that was blatantly dumb, or obvious lol.

Since then I try my best to be nice and understanding, regardless. But I miss that site too....on occasion lol

PlanetCybertron

Y'all...

I love watching this sweet lady's videos (on mute -- as I do all videos) because I love that she has low density, long relaxed hair. I feel like there's been this push for unbelievably thick hair and, as a fine haired lady, I know that I will never have that thickness. She does such a wonderful job taking care of her hair.

Having said all of that, THIS is why I'm posting these vids. One year ago, she had to cut her hair due to breakage/damage. I believe she had HL hair that became so damaged that she had to cut to APL. I'm posting both her video from her cut last year and her update video that was posted a few weeks ago. She has made amazing progress!!! To me, she is a testament to the tried and true, Keeping it Simple regimen. I hope that my bonelaxed sistas find this as inspiring as I have.

Big cut due to damage-

Update-

I love Tabbi!!!

She’s my absolute favorite!

PlanetCybertron

I completely understand that.

It’s kind of part of the reason I don’t want to make a YouTube Channel because there’s going to be a slew of people trying to make the assumption that my hair is damaged.

Or that without a relaxer, my hair density would somehow just double or triple. Regardless of if I’m natural or not, I do not have thick individual strands. I just don’t.

When given a chance to fluff up on its own, it mimics really thick hair just because my overall density is quite a bit, but I decide to straighten my hair, or silk wrap it, it will compress down quite a bit. So I said screw a YouTube channel.

I’d like to be an inspiration too for other fine haired ladies. Even with fine hair being extremely delicate, it’s extremely beautiful when it reaches long lengths and is able to flourish, and my favorite plus side of fine hair, is how virtually weightless it is, even at long lengths.

That’s one reason why I’m still on the fence about a channel. Maybe once I trim my ends, and do some maintaining for a while after hitting my goal.