Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

MzSwift

@LushLox thanks for your review of K18. I hesitate to use products like that sometimes, so I like hearing from actual users - not just paid influencers. It's expensive, but I'll keep it on my radar. If it works, it's worth the expense to me. I've been able to keep my breakage to a minimum so far, but will not let price stop me from using a product that works.

Looks like I might be trying Dark & Lovely or Motions for my next relaxer. The new ORS left me under-processed as well. :rolleyes:

It's like the universe wants me to be a texlaxer! :drunk:

Come on over to the dark side, muah hahaha!! :angeldevil::evilbanana:

But really, I wonder if the companies - in response to the lawsuits - have changed their formulas to be less potent.

Got a relaxer on Thursday the 24th. Looking for a new shampoo, can’t remember what I was using in 2011 when I was bsl.

I know I was using the Aussie most/ORS pack combo for conditioner.

Lol, I just bought some ORS Replenishing condish last month.
I'm trying to find a good lite protein for a weekly tx and sticking with the oldie but goodies has always been good to me.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Come on over to the dark side, muah hahaha!! :angeldevil::evilbanana:

But really, I wonder if the companies - in response to the lawsuits - have changed their formulas to be less potent.

Lol, I just bought some ORS Replenishing condish last month.
I'm trying to find a good lite protein for a weekly tx and sticking with the oldie but goodies has always been good to me.
Same here, let me know if you find a good light protein. I'm so-so on Aveda's damage repair, but I want something better.

Also glad for your review on K18, which I'd never heard of.

MzSwift

Same here, let me know if you find a good light protein. I'm so-so on Aveda's damage repair, but I want something better.

I will definitely report back on the ORS.

The K18 review was from @LushLox and she has beautiful hair so I'm also excited to see how it affects her hair over time!

There's a thread on here about K18. I have it bookmarked to check back in six months to see what the ladies are saying. As relaxed ladies, it's imperative that we find a good protein tx.

LushLox

Personally I don't think Damage Remedy is a strong enough protein, it is very light for a relaxed head imo. I don't need to use the super strong proteins anymore but I like a decent mid range, fairly potent protein. My hair does exponentially better when I give it a regular good dose of protein.

LushLox

Just a point on K18, it's not actually a protein. It is a bond repair/builder that is designed to fill in the gaps in the strand caused by chemical treatments.

K18 is not a protein treatment. K18 is made up of 13 amino acids which form into a peptide chain nature intended. This technology regenerates the disulfide bond in the hair. It is supposed to work inside the hair cortex

So if you are intending on buying K18 you will still need to use your protein treatments alongside it as it won't replace it.

Whilst it's not a protein I find these sort of products halts breakage immediately (in my experience anyway).

ETA: I have used K18 before, I just never finished the course. I will this time though.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I like the Handmade/Natural Protein Treatments (in no particular order):
Annabelle's Perfect Blends Keratin Protein Treatment
Komaza Hair Care's Protein Treatment
SheScentIt Okra Retentive Hair Mask
Sarenzo's Bamboo & Amla Protein Treatment
The Mane Choice Carrot & Green Tea Restructurizer

sunnieb

8 weeks post today and relaxing at 16 weeks.

Did a mid-relaxer cycle mini trim this morning to keep my ends in check. Only trimmed a miniscule amount, but I think it will make a big difference in the long run. I'll do a regular trim when I relax.

sunnieb

What a difference a week makes!

I'm nine weeks post and I feel like my newgrowth doubled since last week! LOL!

This is where I feel like I'm really about to start stretching. My hair feels "shorter" and I can feel all the layers of lovely newgrowth.

Still planning to relax at 16 weeks.

MzSwift

Also 9 weeks post. Will be 10 weeks in 2 days.

Still rolling along with my cornrows. I had the last two sets in for 3 weeks at a time each.
Truly KISSing it is really helping me to stretch.

Planning to relax in Nov or Dec for my EOTY. That'll make my 3rd relaxer this year. (my hair is shorter)
I'm definitely feeling some length with these pull tests though.
Starting 2024, I'm going to a 2 relaxer a year schedule. Planning to stick with cornrows for the foreseeable future.
I'll probably just take it down and wear it out for special occasions only and then braid it right back up.

LushLox

I've got about 9 weeks to go of this six month stretch, not that long now really.

I've done a really good DC this morning. I've really had to increase the amount of conditioner that I use now because the hair is so dense. Air dried, sectioned off my hair, and really took time to apply my leave ins and work the product in, spending a lot more time on the coarser parts of my hair.

Stretching my hair (essentially loose) means I really have to be more thorough in how I maintain my hair from this point on until I touch up.

Next wash I will do a mid strength protein treatment and likely another just before I relax.

sunnieb

Finished relaxing about an hour ago. Dcing now. Soooo happy with the results!

I went old school and used Dark & Lovely No Lye. I processed for 18 minutes and so far I don't feel any under-processed areas. I did use the entire container of relaxer though. My newgrowth demanded it! I was surprised that I used it all. But, I'll see how my hair is tomorrow when it's completely dry.

All in all, I'm keeping this relaxer. Plan to relax again in 16 weeks so that'll put me around the first week of March.

Pics coming soon!

1699153686201.png

MzSwift

Pics coming soon!