Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

sunnieb

16 weeks post today. I'll cowash tonight and just stay vigilant about keeping my newgrowth moisturized to prevent matting.

I'll relax right before I'm 18 weeks. I'll be traveling a bit for work and have some other events coming up.

sunnieb

17 weeks post today. My hair is doing great! No breakage or excessive shedding. I've kept my moisture way up and didn't have any matting at the roots - my newgrowth will twist all the way around itself if I let it.

I planned to relax next Saturday, but had to move up to tomorrow because of scheduling changes. I'm thinking of doing 18 week stretches going forward. Better for my hair and scalp and I proved I can successfully handle the 2 textures.

MzSwift

:wave:
Hey @LushLox !

Last relaxer was between Christmas and New Year's Eve. I'm currently in cornrows and planning to relax at the end of April. I'll check in with my hair again once I get closer, if it's good, I'll leave it alone.

My hair takes so long to show new growth after I relax and then it suddenly explodes around week 10 or so! It's one of the reasons I cut my relaxers down to 1-2/yr. It's like my scalp is in shock or something. I said I would increase to 3x/yr this year but I'm flexible and will listen to my hair.

sunnieb

Hey @LushLox!

I'm 4 weeks post today. Plan to stretch 18 weeks, but will go 16 weeks minimum. I don't know if my newgrowth is more resistant or if box relaxers aren't as strong as they used to be, but I'm not able to get my hair as straight as I could in the past.

I used Soft and Beautiful no-lye last time. I had some texture left and I didn't care. I'm not going to increase processing time for straighter hair. Just something I've been noticing. Box relaxers used to get my hair bone skrait! :drunk:

LushLox

Hey @LushLox!

I'm 4 weeks post today. Plan to stretch 18 weeks, but will go 16 weeks minimum. I don't know if my newgrowth is more resistant or if box relaxers aren't as strong as they used to be, but I'm not able to get my hair as straight as I could in the past.

I used Soft and Beautiful no-lye last time. I had some texture left and I didn't care. I'm not going to increase processing time for straighter hair. Just something I've been noticing. Box relaxers used to get my hair bone skrait! :drunk:

I'm in exactly the same position, I couldn't get my hair to the same level of straightness last time, but I'm putting that down to the fact that I was 6 months post and the NG was so aggressive :lol:

I'm doing a shorter stretch now, which will make me around 15 weeks post; I am relaxing tomorrow. Following this I will go back to my 16/18 week cycle.

sunnieb

I'm in exactly the same position, I couldn't get my hair to the same level of straightness last time, but I'm putting that down to the fact that I was 6 months post and the NG was so aggressive :lol:

I'm doing a shorter stretch now, which will make me around 15 weeks post; I am relaxing tomorrow. Following this I will go back to my 16/18 week cycle.

THAT'S the word! Aggressive! The newgrowth I'm growing now has a whole new personality compared to the passive newgrowth I used to have! :lachen:

LushLox

I've just finished relaxing; I'm really pleased with how it turned out. My ends look very good. Because of this I didn't trim today as I was fed up of doing hair by that point lol, but I will still likely do it in the next couple of weeks to clean up, but I will only need a dust. I'm not surprised by this, I haven't been out too much over the last few months for various reasons. So my hair has lived in my silk bonnet, I have barely touched it and I can really see the benefits of that now in how it's turned out. Hair is back to approaching MBL.

Low manipulation is really the game changer, but we are all aware of this.

I've used up my Affirm relaxer kit, and I'm going to have repurchase the whole system now but that's okay. I'm not touching up until like August now so I'll just buy something from the system each month.

MzSwift

I've just finished relaxing; I'm really pleased with how it turned out. My ends look very good. Because of this I didn't trim today as I was fed up of doing hair by that point lol, but I will still likely do it in the next couple of weeks to clean up, but I will only need a dust. I'm not surprised by this, I haven't been out too much over the last few months for various reasons. So my hair has lived in my silk bonnet, I have barely touched it and I can really see the benefits of that now in how it's turned out. Hair is back to approaching MBL.

Low manipulation is really the game changer, but we are all aware of this.

I've used up my Affirm relaxer kit, and I'm going to have repurchase the whole system now but that's okay. I'm not touching up until like August now so I'll just buy something from the system each month.

Yes ma'am, low manipulation is the secret sauce! And, OMG, I will patiently wait for the moment you bless us with a photo, or 5, :look:,

If anyone can, you can @MzSwift, you've been there and done it! :yep:
Thank you, Sis. :kiss:

That's what I do, except I do mine in August.
OK, I'm gonna try to hang out with you, Sis.

sunnieb

So, here's a pic of my aggressive newgrowth. I'm only 4 weeks post! :oops: What's with all this texture? Lol!

I cowashed last night and was prepping to airdry. I can see the straight pieces on the ends. I knew my last few relaxers weren't straightening like usual and here's the proof.

Oh well, guess I'll be texlaxed by the time I hit BSL! :lachen:

20240401_191544_resized.jpg

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Last relaxer: Saturday 13 April with my new hair stylist.

Previous stylist used: drugstore relaxer, ORS shampoo, ORS conditioner

Current stylist uses: Affirm relaxer sensitive scalp (same as LushLox!), Olaplex, ColorWOW, keracare oil

I really like Affirm compared to the previous relaxer. New stylist is more expensive (she's mobile so she rents a chair in a salon) but uses better products, especially the relaxer. I had to order some sulfate free shampoo and settled on Bumble & Bumble. So far so good.

MzSwift

I did not (relax), that feeling has passed :laugh:I gave it a little straightening and realized I have to be so gentle and I'm tired now, and want to do these braids.

I'm right there with you! My feeling passed as I thought more about WHY I was having the urge to relax. The weather is turning and I'm tired of cornrows and bandanas. What I really need is a change of style to reflect the warmer weather.

I realized that I was relaxing my hair Apr, Aug and Dec when I was wearing my hair out almost daily. I prefer to live in braids now. Texlaxing makes it easier for me to rock my braids and to see my length. Also makes it easier to straighten (and stay straight) the few times that I do it. So it feels more natural for me to keep rocking my braids all year and then do a big end of the year texlax and length check.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
In 101 days :rofl: :abducted:

But I may or may not wait that long. I want some braids but I just don't feel like doing them. But I want them :cry3:
But I don't wanna spend all that money people are charging to do braids, and plus I don't trust people. :cry4:
But I want them :laugh:

I might end up doing twists with marley hair so they can look like faux sisterlocks. What I want are four impossible things. For it to be done quickly, be washed easily, air dry fast and to last a long time :lachen:

Plus, I do not want it to be heavy when I wash it either. So five impossible things lol

Lemme ask the LORD what he thinks lbs.

MzSwift

In 101 days :rofl: :abducted:

But I may or may not wait that long. I want some braids but I just don't feel like doing them. But I want them :cry3:
But I don't wanna spend all that money people are charging to do braids, and plus I don't trust people. :cry4:
But I want them :laugh:

I might end up doing twists with marley hair so they can look like faux sisterlocks. What I want are four impossible things. For it to be done quickly, be washed easily, air dry fast and to last a long time :lachen:

Plus, I do not want it to be heavy when I wash it either. So five impossible things lol

Lemme ask the LORD what he thinks lbs.

LOL! I'm still debating too!

I bought Marley hair for my mini twists. I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it but I just don't feel like washing and DCing yet. smh
And then the 20-something hours it's gonna take to install.

BUT I will tell you that I did my loc extensions with Marley hair and they were super light, they didn't get too heavy when I washed them AND they air dried quickly! I had those in for 2 years. So you should be ok with that hair. :yep: