Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Re: Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up

Thanks SuchaLady Babygrowth bklynbornNbred...so I'm not crazy after all.

SuchaLady, I've had weeks when my hair randomly freaks out, breaks and whatever else. I've stayed the course vs. relaxing and so far, I'm proud of that decision. Let's hope I won't regret that at some point.

bklynbornNbred, how many weeks post are you? I'm certain I can search the thread but I'm being lazy. Please forgive me.

bklynbornNbred

Re: Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up

I'll be 52 weeks on Monday. Still in disbelief it's been that long.

PureSilver

wow thats great congratulations. Are u a long term transitioner?

Last edited:

NicoleSelah

I'm currently a year post relaxer.

I hope to go a little longer but I will see after I change my regimen. I've been going to Dominicans for blow outs but I'm no longer feeling the extra bone straight hair. Besides I think it's thinning my hair which was once nice and thick like my avi.

PureSilver

1 year post. how many inches of ng do you have, did you retain ll your growth? what is your regimen and technique after 5 months post? what products do you use?

NicoleSelah @brklynbornnbred

NicoleSelah

PureSilver

I can't tell at this time how much new growth I have because my hair at the root is bone straight due to the blow out. When I would do my own hair I used Wen Fig and coconut oil and Biosilk Therapy as a heat protectant.

I shampooed/conditioned every three weeks and used coconut oil before I used Wen. I blow dried my hair with Biosilk and sometimes flat ironed.

I will be going back to using Design Essentials at the end of this month or Early December (I'm trying to wait for cyber Monday for a sale lol) and I will also change my regimen too. I plan to document my progress this time with pictures and will share it on here soon. I'll tag you if you'd like me too.

PureSilver

NicoleSelah, thanks much i'd appreciate the tag. You hair in your avatar is luscious too, very thick and pretty.

PureSilver

16 weeks post today. Dare i attempt another 20 weeks........hmmm; i'll see how that goes but i highly doubt it though.

sunnieb

Wow! Ya'll doin' some major relaxer stretching up in here! :yep:

I'm 4 weeks post today. Got a little hair lazy last week, but I did do a dc. Plan to do better this week.

BFeathers

I finally took my sew in down. My NG is really soft. Part of me thinks it's due to the Green Magic. I'd read reviews and posts saying amla straightens and loosens curl pattern.

I just pray it didn't thin my hair. It looks thick and the ends of course look thin because they're relaxed.

I'd say I have just above chin length NG all around as in when I pull down the NG comes to pretty much my chin. My relaxed ends go about 2 inches past my collarbones. I can't find my tape measure or rulers right now (of course!) so I can't measure what that is.

I know it's much longer than it was back in March but I really just want thick hair.

missyrayne19

Just looked at the date of my last relaxer and realized I'm 9 weeks. When'd that happen?! Sucker just snuck up on me :lol:

Beamodel

I think it's going to be easy to stretch especially while using liquid gold green magic on my new growth.

That stuff makes your hair incredibly soft and manageable

divachyk

I need help on how best to deal with little knots that form throughout the hair on wash day. It's shed hairs that have slipped and latched to my hair to form little knots about half the size of a pea. This happens no matter how much I detangle before wash day.

Evolving78

I need help on how best to deal with little knots that form throughout the hair on wash day. It's shed hairs that have slipped and latched to my hair to form little knots about half the size of a pea. This happens no matter how much I detangle before wash day.
oil and detangle with a comb before you wash. Hot oil treatment for 20 mins, then proceed to wash.

Queensheba88

I am currenty 22 weeks post i plan to relax sometime in december but i dont know may relax in jan after the holidays my new growth hasnt been much of a problem thanks to the GHE.

Evolving78

I am currenty 22 weeks post i plan to relax sometime in december but i dont know may relax in jan after the holidays my new growth hasnt been much of a problem thanks to the GHE.
I started to do this more too, so I will see how my hair behaves this coming month. I would like to relax 3 times a year instead of 4-5x. How are wash days for you?

bklynbornNbred

1 year post. how many inches of ng do you have, did you retain ll your growth? what is your regimen and technique after 5 months post? what products do you use?

@NicoleSelah @brklynbornnbred

@PureSilver @divachyk

Sorry it took so long to respond but I waited since I can't tag from my phone.

I'm sitting with conditioner right now. Today I'm 53 weeks post.

I have between 5-7 inches of new growth. Most spots are 5 inches but some spots are as long as 7. I swear my hair grew faster when I was relaxed but this has not been a normal year for me.

I would have to say I've retained some growth but not at the percentage I would normally find acceptable. Since I was at BSL I should be at MBL by now but it seems I'm hanging around at BSL. I know being on here makes me not see my hair the way others do and I get compliments on the rare occasions I've done my hair and shown it.

I did not start this stretch with intention of transitioning. I had an injury that made it hard to wash my hair often and it made no sense to get perms on my regular schedule when all I was doing was pulling it into a ponytail or bun. I also have to look back through this thread when I have time to write down exactly when I was relaxing. I did a corrective at least 1 1/2 years ago and looking back now I think I messed up. My hair has not been taking to the perm correctly for a while now (I used to perm straight not leave any texture) so the long stretch was also initially done to make sure I had enough new growth to go back to my old stylist so she could do one good fix and the length of the "new growth" would cover any cut she may have to do in the back. Instead this year and my therapy flew by and here I am one year post and all these curls I never knew I had. I've done long stretches before but I don't know if my chemistry has changed or what but my hair was not like this when I was younger. Trying to avoid the typing stuff since I'm really not sure. My mom is natural and I'd say she is 4c (zig zag with no curl). My new growth has curls/ringlets some bigger than others so I think its a mix of 4a/b but not sure. My stylist told me years ago that we had different types hair but I was into the perm matrix back then I wasn't hearing her at all but I don't remember it being this different. I didn't get first relaxer until I was 15.

So while I have all this new growth my hair is basically the same length (to me) hovering just past BSL. When I pull some pieces in the back they are almost all new hair so I know something went wrong during my long stretches of past years but at least its growing in. I'm tempted every time I wash my hair but I don't like my hair short although I've done the "Halle Berry/Nia Long" cut more than once I just don't have the energy to deal with my hair at that length during the winter so for now I'll just keep stretching and make a decision in the spring unless ya'll kick me out of here into the long term transitioner one.

I've been very basic -

Wash: Clarify with ORS Olive Oil green shampoo (when needed)
Cream of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo or
Kera Care Moisturizing Shampoo (or Dandruff one)

Condition ORS Nourishing Conditioner (Banana)
Elasta QP DPR11 or
ORS Hair Mayonaise + hot oil when needed

Leave In mix of Infusium 23/Fantasia IC Leave in Moisturizer
KeraCare Leave in (sometimes)

Then next step depended on what I was doing. When I was healthy I did mostly roller sets and just sprayed heat protectant on it. When I could no longer do that I'd let it air dry partially and then blow it out with hand dryer. I have a mix of protective stuff depending on which heat I was using. If I did a twist out I'd throw some loc and twist gel with some oil on it. That got to be too much manipulation for my shoulder so my fall back was quick and dirty high heat blow outs then slick it back in buns for a while.

This last year my focus was just to keep my head and scalp clean. My past pj'ism is gone. Since I've gone this far I feel like I owe it to myself to keep going at least until spring and re-evaluate in March/April what I will do. For the next few months I will return to my healthier habits and see if that affects growth/retention any. I've been semi cleared to work out so I'm sure that will be a positive. I will also put that dang blow dryer down and either wig it up or braid it and dry it indirectly.

Last edited:

greenandchic

I just counted and will be 16 weeks this Friday. I thought I was going on 17 weeks...I plan on TU next week...

loveafterwar

This week will make 37 weeks post. At the end of last year I planned to stick with a 10-12 week schedule, but that didn't happen lol. I'm planning to relax this weekend.

PureSilver

17 weeks 1 day. Relaxing in 2.5 weeks

Evolving78

It will be 6 weeks in a couple of days. I'm going to see how this wash day goes. You know you gotta play stuff by ear. I said I was going for 8, but if I can make it another 6 weeks I will give it ago. But I got my kit on deck if it gets too rough. I made it past 13 weeks last time.

divachyk

I lost count. I think I'm at 21 weeks. Give or take.

ETA: KiWiStyle, what week are you?

Last edited:

iLurk

entering week 7. ever since i did the protein treatment my new growth is soft and manageable.