RELAXED mega-tek ladies: potential protein overload?

poookie

i'm a new mega-tek head, and am a little concerned at the high amount of protein in this product. i've only been using it on my scalp, but of course a little of it gets onto my new growth.

my question is... i'm due for a touch up within the next couple of weeks.

usually i do a hardcore protein like Aphogee the week before a relaxer.

but with all this protein that's in the mega-tek, do you think i should skip the treatment?

also, to the mega-tek vets out there, has anyone experienced hard, over-proteined hair after using this for a while?

thanks! :grin:

Nice & Wavy

Nope, never had any problems with protein overload at all. I only use it on my scalp, along with EVOO or Castor oil and haven't had a problem.

I'm natural so maybe Aggie who has been using it from the beginning of the challenge will come in and help you out with this one since she is relaxed, or maybe check out her fotki...I believe she has info on what she does with her hair since using it.

HTH

freshlikemoi

This is a great question. I just got my MT in the mail today. And was kind of wondering the whole thing. I think I am going to ease up on my Mayo treatments, when start this and just Deep Condition with a moisturizer.

Bumpidy Bump Bump.

MoMo

I have been using MT for the past four months and I only apply it on my hair for strength and added thickness. I co-wash daily or at least 5x a week so I have not experienced any protein overload.

I continue to do treatments using Joico K-Pak reconstructor every two weeks. I haven't done an Aphogee treatment because I haven't felt the need to. However, if I did use aphogee, I think it would be fine so long as I followed with a very moisturizing conditioner and leave-in.

me-T

you know what, i havent mega-tek'ed in a while and i notice my hair is softer and not breakin so much near the roots.

that sucks. faster growth, or slow growth with breakage....what can be used to counteract that? i thought about using oils or somethin but i like my mt full strength.

im super protein sensitive too. even usin plain aloe vera makes my hair feel like i did a protein treatment.

ShiShiPooPoo

I am relaxed bone straight...just got a retouch last Thursday and it came out fab. I have not experienced any type of overload at all. I have been faithfully using MT every night on my scalp and have even run it through my hair occasionally.

Sorry I can't answer the Aphogee question.

nomoweavesfome

I used MT a week prior to relaxing up until the night before. I use mine straight up, no mix, every night and sometime twice a day. I usually do an nexxus emergencee treatment 3 days to a week prior relaxing, but I didn't because I thougth i would stretch longer.

I applied silk amino acids prior to relaxing though along with what I already had in my hair with MT and my hair came out soooo beautiful. It was silky, not a lot of shedding, shiny and strong.

I was actually worried my touch up wouldn't take because my hair hates protein but my hiar loves silk amino acids and it really like MT.

SelfStyled

I have been using MT for the past four months and I only apply it on my hair for strength and added thickness. I co-wash daily or at least 5x a week so I have not experienced any protein overload.

I continue to do treatments using Joico K-Pak reconstructor every two weeks. I haven't done an Aphogee treatment because I haven't felt the need to. However, if I did use aphogee, I think it would be fine so long as I followed with a very moisturizing conditioner and leave-in.

My situation is similar to MoMo,except I use MT on my scalp only, I co wash every other day and have had no probles w/ protein over load at all. My hair started to break from being overmoisturized, but I did the Aphogee 2 min, and my hair has stopped breaking. I have been using OCT and or MT since May- so far so good.

poookie

thanks all for the replies!

my hair can take a lot of protein, so i'll go ahead and do the hardcore aphogee. my new growth is CRAZY (but not because of the MT yet, i just started this past weekend)!!! so i'm going to aphogee tonight, and relax next wednesday.

gymfreak336

Nope, no problems with overload here. I apply mine a couple of different ways.

1) Before washing, I apply it to my scalp, massage it in, add a little regular conditioner to my ends, slap on a plastic cap and leave it on for a couple of hours

2) to my scalp directly like grease

3) in the shower, after washing, to my scalp directly for 5 minutes to an hour

I still use joico kpak conditioner for protein on regular basis.