Says My White Supervisor About Other Black Women, "They're Just Jealous of Your Hair!

yuriko

Re: Says My White Supervisor About Other Black Women, "They're Just Jealous of Your H

She's trying to separate y'all into the house Negroes vs. the field Negroes.

OMG, I just cracked up out loud, thanks for that; I really needed a good laugh today:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

SleekandBouncy

Re: Says My White Supervisor About Other Black Women, "They're Just Jealous of Your H

Well, I mean that could be the case. But I wouldn't automatically assume someone's jealous, especially if I've never met them. It was just weird that she'd come to that assumption but I guess hindsight has told her that most black women can't grow their hair long. Long hair is coveted in our culture, so she thinks that they (these women she never met) want it.

I don't know I just want people to stop assuming things but it is true that most black women don't have long hair. Jealousy seems a overstated IMO.

I guess it comes into play when you get a little too chummy-chum with some folks.

Well, I've seen white women get to my complexion...and most of the time when they tan it's darker. I think you are right...we are privy to that and which is why I think she saw nothing wrong with her saying her statement. "As if, why would I be jealous of a black girl with long hair; I have it myself."

But when comparing white women getting kinky hair, I don't think it's apples and oranges. I believe that most black women get relaxers for managability. That's how most black women think there hair is easier to deal with and if it were the case of simply shadowing white women, I wouldn't see black women with relaxers and curly, kinky or straight up afrom looking extensions and pony tails. Then you have to consider that most black women aren't walking around with really blonde hair and blue eyes...for the most part they try to find something that compliments them and are just experimenting.

I do think it could be partially "the grass is greener on the other side" and also "Western socialization" at the same time. And for some people it may just be the one or the other or neither.

To the underlined - The vast majority of BW I encounter are brown or dark skinned. I do not encounter groups of WW aiming for NC50 or NC45 skin, but rather tan light skin. Everyone says "oh they tan", but if that's indicative of their desire to look like anyone then I guess it's Asian, Latino or "mixed".

To the bolded. My hair is relaxed. I believe I relax for the purpose of styling, but as an intelligent woman attempting to be objective I have to admit that the idea that entire societies of BW, myself included all made the same "choice" (randomly of course :lol:) because they all realized, as a group, that straight hair is more manageable is not something I can't intelligently accept. When white ppl use terms like "good hair" to indicate hair that's good because it's nappy then I will believe otherwise. When WW spend millions to wear black eye contacts and 3C weaves then I'll believe it. Until then no. It doesn't mean every BW wakes up wanting to look white, but simply our choices are influenced by socialization.

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011

In my humble opinion, she was just stating what we know is true (in general). How many threads have I seen about LHCF's getting weave checked, assaulted by scissor-happy stylists and generally hated on by other black women because their hair is long? I don't understand why we find it so astounding and offensive when people outside our race call us on our mess. From what she sees, she just calling it like it is. What's up with the knee-jerk offense for EVERYTHING non-whites say about black hair?

This is true. ITA.

But I have to say, there is a WW in every bunch that thinks she's the expert on black hair for whatever reason.

You know what I find funny or rather biased? I find it biased that when a white women desires to tan, she is "not trying to look black," yet, when a black women straightens her hair, some claim we are trying to be white.

The analogy here wasn't great, but I get what you're saying. Whites don't often get accused of hating themselves and wanting to be another race.

If some suburban white kid tries to act "gangsta," he's not accused of self-hate. People may look at him like he's crazy and they may poke fun, but at the end of the day, said kid isn't considered any less white.

Well I guess I'm brand new on this one, because I didn't realize that other folk had so much to say about our hair. I've never heard anyone act as an authority on Black hair but Black folk.

No see, you haven't been where I have. I had a friend that would go out of her way to say something and try to be the authority on black hair. Don't let someone ask me about my hair before that heff* start in on some how black hair can't grow long because of this or that ish.

chicacanella

To the underlined - The vast majority of BW I encounter are brown or dark skinned. I do not encounter groups of WW aiming for NC50 or NC45 skin, but rather tan light skin. Everyone says "oh they tan", but if that's indicative of their desire to look like anyone then I guess it's Asian, Latino or "mixed".

To the bolded. My hair is relaxed. I believe I relax for the purpose of styling, but as an intelligent woman attempting to be objective I have to admit that the idea that entire societies of BW, myself included all made the same "choice" (randomly of course :lol:) because they all realized, as a group, that straight hair is more manageable is not something I can't intelligently accept. When white ppl use terms like "good hair" to indicate hair that's good because it's nappy then I will believe otherwise. When WW spend millions to wear black eye contacts and 3C weaves then I'll believe it. Until then no. It doesn't mean every BW wakes up wanting to look white, but simply our choices are influenced by socialization.

I would agree that most black women tend to be some shade of Crayola brown but I do see alot of really pale black women out here. It could be because I live in the north. And no, I wasn't implying they they were trying to look like us. I wrote a post to another poster about that.

I think the reason black women relax is a very complicated/faceted issue. That's why I think it could be a series of different dynamics going on due to the fact that the afro-curly trend is in now and years from now it may not be. Even with this trend, black women seem to still relax their hair so that's why I believe part of the dynamic may be because it is easier to manage. If they were trying to look white, why go and get a afro curly weave with relaxed hair?

I believe that you think white women want to look black...which for the average white women I would have to say no. Of course there is someone that really wants to look like a black women but do I believe the majority want to look like black women? No, no, no, no, no, no and can I say no again?

My whole point which I wrote already was comparing how black women are judged differently as wanting to be white while the counterpart is not. I don't belive anyone wants to be anything other than what they were but I do believe they use enhancements which they believe looks write on themselves.

Not that I agree, but there are black women that wouldn't use dark brown eye contacts or 3c weaves as an example of black emulation but they would take the other examples I mentioned and say, "white women want to be like us." I've heard it countless of times and while I don't agree, I find all of this interesting.

Bachelorette

Must be "lets demonize white people" week.

Almaz

Yeah I had a friend like that was ALWAYS saying things about Black women and their hair and always comparing. Well this woman had weaves and extensions cause without it she had the thinnest limpest Stringiest hair no a white woman could ever have. She was always commenting on my families hair I am like. She was so stupid to say OH Black Women cannot have long hair. I am like DUHHHH Dont' you SEE everyone in my family is Black. She was like OH Yeah but you are Ethiopian so that is different. Never spoke to her after that. Glad when she moved. I am quick to tell a person to kick rocks when it comes to those things cause no one was commenting on her stringy hair and extensions

I hate people sometimes:wallbash::lachen:

No see, you haven't been where I have. I had a friend that would go out of her way to say something and try to be the authority on black hair. Don't let someone ask me about my hair before that heff* start in on some how black hair can't grow long because of this or that ish.[/quote]

chicacanella

This is true. ITA.

But I have to say, there is a WW in every bunch that thinks she's the expert on black hair for whatever reason.

The analogy here wasn't great, but I get what you're saying. Whites don't often get accused of hating themselves and wanting to be another race.

If some suburban white kid tries to act "gangsta," he's not accused of self-hate. People may look at him like he's crazy and they may poke fun, but at the end of the day, said kid isn't considered any less white.

No see, you haven't been where I have. I had a friend that would go out of her way to say something and try to be the authority on black hair. Don't let someone ask me about my hair before that heff* start in on some how black hair can't grow long because of this or that ish.

All because of the black roommate they had while in college.:lachen:

Almaz

lExactly this is another one of my PET PEEVES. Just becuase you came into contact with one Black Person then all of a Sudden you have to lockdown hook line and sinker on what it is to be black and black culture.

This is silly. And who are they to give their opinions on anything Black. If I say OH like this one white girl at work who told me that all black people eat soul food. WHY don't you. I said EVERYONE eats their version of Soul Food you are Polish what are the foods that trigger nostalgia and make you feel happy when you think about it.

She answered and I am well that is YOUR soul food Just like Injera Doro Wat, Hummus and Adas Polo, Fessenjhan and Baklava is MY soul food.

Wow some people:lachen:

Interesting that the OP's supervisor assumed the negative when that wasn't necessarily the case. Sounds like she's trying to play good against bad Negra.

To the rest of the thread - I don't know about white women as a group desiring black women's bodies or "tan" skin (esp. since most BW aren't "tan" in that way :look:). That doesn't bother me because with or without their envy, I still love being a BW.

I'm going to say I think it is more of a one way street. Asians, blacks, non-white Latinos, etc. are privy to the glorification of a white beauty ideals. I don't see them trying to get kinky hair or rock NC50 foundation as much as I see Asian women rocking blue contacts, black women obsessed with straight hair, light skin, etc. etc.. I know few WW trying to marry black so they can procure "good" hurr, curvy bodies, or dark skin for their progeny. The vast majority of WW are not rocking butt implants nor lip injections and that is a fairly recent trend anyway.
So nahhh, to my view breaking it down to a "the grass is always greener on the other side" is a comforting oversimplification.

Thank you for this. I'm kinda over this sort of mindset, the whole 'Look, they want to be us!' mentality. What white women do doesn't concern me because most of their choices don't have a history of colonization behind them. Perming, tanning, bigger butts and lips are not comparable to relaxing, color contacts, bleaching, blonde lacefronts, etc... I see both of them as individual fashion choices in which each groups feels like certain features look better on them than the 'originators', and we pull inspiration from within our own communities.

As for the comment. I worked at a place with mostly white women, and there was one black woman with long, thick hair. She'd tell them about how black women are jealous of her hair and her mother's hair because of the length and fullness. She would also talk about how most full black women cannot grow long hair.:ohwell: We can be some of our worst PR agents.

Almaz

As for the comment. I worked at a place with mostly white women, and there was one black woman with long, thick hair. She'd tell them about how black women are jealous of her hair and her mother's hair because of the length and fullness. She would also talk about how most full black women cannot grow long hair.:ohwell: We can be some of our worst PR agents.[/quote]

This women is stupid. She is stupid and she needs to just shut up.

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011

Right. Or the one black friend of the family...

Which idk if this chick really knew ANY black people, I guess that she was just the authority. She talked to me and other people about my head so much...and I'd be looking at her like :rolleyes: because she she didn't know mess.

:yep: I hate to get OT, but I'd also like to add that it goes both ways. Even the most color struck, self hating black woman would NEVER say she wants to look like Jessica Simpson. Instead, she wants to look like Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Vanessa Williams, etc... Even though there might be a preference in our community for non-kinky hair, fair skin, light eyes, etc... the black community still feels like these features look better on one of us. So the whole 'trying to look white' argument is as flawed as 'trying to look black'. My last job was at a beauty/skin care establishment frequented by white women and that's where I really got a close look at how they think. This is when I realized that beauty standards are kept within the community.

This women is stupid. She is stupid and she needs to just shut up.

As much as I wanted to set the record straight, I didn't want a bad relationship with my coworkers. She spread other ignorance, too. :nono:

ebonylocs

As for the comment. I worked at a place with mostly white women, and there was one black woman with long, thick hair. She'd tell them about how black women are jealous of her hair and her mother's hair because of the length and fullness. She would also talk about how most full black women cannot grow long hair.:ohwell: We can be some of our worst PR agents.
See, that's why we can't necessarily completely blame some white people for their overly general "Black people are/do/think this and that...." statements. There is usually some member of our "community" that misedumacated them.

I also agree with you in that the "desire to emulate, but not fully" thing goes both ways. Just like most WW want tan, not chocolate skin, many BW want light"er" skin, straight"er" hair, not pinkish-beigish skin and stick straight flat hair.

that_1_grrrl

A 1000 X Yes!

I never understood why people think that White folks tan to look like us. We all know that is not true. White folks (on a subconscious level) look at Black skin as something ugly, dirty, and undesirable. Even white people who claim that they are down and want to be us would never dream of having darker skin or "napping" up their hair.

I don't think many cultures do try to have what others do. Sometimes, it starts off that way: Black women relaxing their hair to look more white for survival, and things change along the way. There are still some Black women who do desire to look more White. It's not a happy-go-lucky thing. It is a result of racism. It's the same thing with Asians getting blue contacts, Indians bleaching their skin, and immigrants of all races adopting Anglophone names. It's not jealousy.

And Whites appropriate the culture of others not because of jealousy. They do it because they feel entitled, like they have the right to everyone's culture. It's not cute.

Interesting that the OP's supervisor assumed the negative when that wasn't necessarily the case. Sounds like she's trying to play good against bad Negra.

To the rest of the thread - I don't know about white women as a group desiring black women's bodies or "tan" skin (esp. since most BW aren't "tan" in that way :look:). That doesn't bother me because with or without their envy, I still love being a BW.

I'm going to say I think it is more of a one way street. Asians, blacks, non-white Latinos, etc. are privy to the glorification of a white beauty ideals. I don't see them trying to get kinky hair or rock NC50 foundation as much as I see Asian women rocking blue contacts, black women obsessed with straight hair, light skin, etc. etc.. I know few WW trying to marry black so they can procure "good" hurr, curvy bodies, or dark skin for their progeny. The vast majority of WW are not rocking butt implants nor lip injections and that is a fairly recent trend anyway.
So nahhh, to my view breaking it down to a "the grass is always greener on the other side" is a comforting oversimplification.

ladylibra

:yep: I hate to get OT, but I'd also like to add that it goes both ways. Even the most color struck, self hating black woman would NEVER say she wants to look like Jessica Simpson. Instead, she wants to look like Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Vanessa Williams, etc... Even though there might be a preference in our community for non-kinky hair, fair skin, light eyes, etc... the black community still feels like these features look better on one of us. So the whole 'trying to look white' argument is as flawed as 'trying to look black'. My last job was at a beauty/skin care establishment frequented by white women and that's where I really got a close look at how they think. This is when I realized that beauty standards are kept within the community.

very true, i point this out a lot to people. we (collectively as a race, not we on the board) are not trying to look "white" but we sure are trying to look "less black." meaning (sadly), if you really think about it... we are trying to look as close to white as we possibly can, because we are still considering them to be the beauty standard and we want to be "on their level." but we still want to hold onto the positive attributes of our race/culture.

i don't know if this is better or worse really, but there it is. and it's not just black women... people of color tend to value the women who look a little "less ethnic/more white." just enough to be an exotic knockoff of Barbie i guess... :ohwell:

SmilingElephant

Not surprised.

We (general black women) would kill for their length.

They (general white women) would kill for our bodies and "tanned" skin.

Brazilian want to be skinny like white super models. (Brazil is the 1# user of diet pills)

Asians imitate EVERYBODY.

Its all jealousy and all flattery.

Every culture wants something from the other.

Goes to show you we ARE related to each other......that's the end of Darwin's theory!:grin:

lexielex

You know what I find funny or rather biased? I find it biased that when a white women desires to tan, she is "not trying to look black," yet, when a black women straightens her hair, some claim we are trying to be white.

that's because the history of white people and tanning is more complex than that. Europeans used to rub mercury on their faces to lighten their already pale skin tone... why? because at that time, it was proof that you were part of the aristocracy, you had money because you sat in the castle all day instead of working out in the fields and getting tanned by the sun.

tanning, at least from what i understand in the U.S., became popular when more people were working in offices than in outdoor jobs. if you had the time and money to vacation on some remote tropical island and get a tan doing so... or even spend time and money getting an artificial tan in a bed full of UV lights... it meant something status-wise. nobody wants to look poor and pale :rolleyes:[/quote]

I have a read and heard a few lectures on that exact thought you presented, currently I'm reading Dr Frances Cress Welsing Key to the Colors she goes way deeper than that.

Barbara

Princess

With all the weaves, wigs, extensions, etc., what are they suppose to think? I've seen girls as young as two to five years old with weaves and extensions. Then think of all the damaged, jacked up, chewed up, short hair that they see. Well, what do you expect? Then some African American women tell others: "My hair just won't grow." Some have made that statement to me. Then they tell me how they brush it, wash it, etc., and it stays the same length.

There is a myth that African American hair does not grow, so that's why we hear these ignorant responses, because my stylist said: "Our women think they know how to take care of their hair, but they don't." Let's not get offended. Some of them really don't know.

Hairsofab

Who cares what she thinks about our hair.

very true, i point this out a lot to people. we (collectively as a race, not we on the board) are not trying to look "white" but we sure are trying to look "less black." meaning (sadly), if you really think about it... we are trying to look as close to white as we possibly can, because we are still considering them to be the beauty standard and we want to be "on their level." but we still want to hold onto the positive attributes of our race/culture.

i don't know if this is better or worse really, but there it is. and it's not just black women... people of color tend to value the women who look a little "less ethnic/more white." just enough to be an exotic knockoff of Barbie i guess... :ohwell:

And black women aren't the only ones who get fingers pointed at them.

While there is a history of colonization in Asian societies, fair skin has always been a beauty standard. Outsiders accuse Asian women who desire fair skin of 'trying to look white' when skin whitening has been around since before many of these cultures knew whites existed.

White women have the luxury of having the 'tools' necessary to drastically change their appearance to fit their ideal. All a tan takes is the sun, lip injections are easily accessible, and the butt can be augmented. If there was an effective skin lightening pill, a pill that could permanently change type 4 hair to type 2 hair, and if eye color change surgery wasn't as 'new' and inaccessible as it is now, there would be plenty of people of color lining up for it. They have the tools that we don't have. Level the playing field and everyone would be running around looking all sorts of ways. This might be the case in about 30 more years. Should be....interesting.

keysha1983

When you get tired of it all just pray.

I really like this prayer:
The Black Prayer

Why Did You Make Me Black Lord
Lord .. Why did you make me black?
Why did you make someone
The world would hold back?
Black is the color of dirty clothes,
Of grimy hands and feet...
Black is the color of darkness,
Of tired beaten streets...

Why did you give me thick lips,
A broad nose and kinky hair?
Why did you create someone
Who receives the hated stare?

Black is the color of the bruised eye
When someone gets hurt...
Black is the color of darkness,
Black is the color of dirt.

Why is my bone structure so thick,
My hips and cheeks so high?
Why are my eyes brown,
And not the color of the sky?

Why do people think I'm useless?
How come I feel so used?
Why do people see my skin
And think I should be abused?
Lord, I just don't understand ...
What is it about my skin?
Why is it some people want to hate me
And not know the person within?

Black is what people are 'Labeled'
When others want to keep them away...
Black is the color of shadows cast...
Black is the end of the day.

Lord you know my own people mistreat me,
And you know this just ain't right...
They don't like my hair, they don't like my
Skin, as they say I'm too dark or too light!

Lord, don't you think
it's time to make a change?
Why don't you redo creation
And make everyone the same?

God's Reply:

Why did I make you black? Why did I make you black?

I made you in the color of coal
From which beautiful diamonds are formed...
I made you in the color of oil,
The black gold which keeps people warm.

Your color is the same as the rich dark soil
That grows the food you need...
Your color is the same as the black stallion and
Panther, Oh what t majestic creatures indeed!

All colors of the heave nly rainbow
Can be found throughout every nation...
When all these colors are blended,
You become my greatest creation!

Your hair is the texture of lamb's wool,
Such a beautiful creature is he...
I am the shepherd who watches them,
I will ALWAYS watch over thee!

You are the color of the midnight sky,
I put star glitter in your eyes...
There's a beautiful smile hidden behind your pain...
That's why your cheeks are so high!

You are the color of dark clouds
From the hurricanes I create in September...
I made your lips so full and thick,
So when you kiss...they will remember!

Your stature is strong,
Your bone structure thick to withstand the
Burden of time...
The reflection you see in the mirror,
That image that looks back, that is MINE!

So get off your knees,
Look in the mirror and tell me what you see?
I didn't ma ke you in the image of darkness...
I made you in the imag e of ME!

chicacanella

But Barbies come in many different ethnicities. So, I kind of think that they don't look at these women as a "knock off" Barbie but simply as Barbie.

Avan207

I've never heard a WW tell her child that they would look so much better with kinky hair nor do I see millions of WW trying to get their hair kinky. They don't have terms like "black girl swang" or "good hair". Folks keep saying they perm as proof that this is a two way street of mutual emulation. Well I don't know too many BW with naturally loosely curled hair, sooo :look:

What I see whites most emulate is cultural ideals, hair aside, but we don't want to be given credit for that. Blk ppl are still embarrassed, confused or utterly dismissive towards the idea of "black culture". Which is a totally different topic :lol:

I agree with this. I used to work with Jews and they hated their "nappy" hair. It actually shocked me to hear them speak of it this way. Mind you, it was more unkempt than anything. When I "did" my VP's daughter's hair for an event you woulda thought the world stood still. that little girl was just as proud of her "swang" as any of us here and her mother made sure she knew she looked better . This is just one of many examples that I have witnessed at work and at temple (no I am not jewish) So no, WW do not want to be like us.

I have also witnessed several new brazilians in my area flocking to BSS's and salons to get a relaxer to get rid of "kinks and wrinkles". What I have always noticed is that these women ARE afro brazilian and COULD pass for euro brazilian if not for their hair.

Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

I think she was really talking about herself. I think she is jealous of you because SHE is not use to seeing a sista with Long hair. But she can't say that to your face, so she picked a scape goat.

My advice WATCH HER, she is not your friend.
Your hair my not be the only thing she is Jealous of.
and keep you hair in bun when she is in room, she might get slippery with a wad of gum or a pair of sissors one day:nono:

Kranbery

^^^ Exactly. Black women get accused of trying to be white more so than any other women on earth. Maria, Sue Mai and 'em can get eyelid surgeries and bleach their skin all day long, and no one says anything. But let a black woman relax her hair and she'll be accused of hating herself.

I have an Indian friend who refers to her 3a hair as crappy and gets the Japanese hair straightener because she prefers straight hair. Please tell me why this same girl was trying to be funny asking me why do black women put relaxers in their hair? Are they ashamed of their hair? Do you think it's a sign of them having issues with their race? I looked her dead in the eyes and told her that getting the Japanese hair straightener is the same as getting a relaxer. She shut her mouth right after that. I love that girl but I needed to check her for that.

:clapping:

producjunki

I agree with Christelyn (hope I spelled that right). Your supervisor was probably really just stating what most of us other black women already state. Alot of times, other races and people in general go off of what they hear and see when it comes to judging something or someone.

So, since it is always put out in the media by other races (including ourselves sometimes) that black hair doesn't grow, and that we need all of these chemicals and reinforcements just for it to look like something, she's just going off of what she knows, or what she think she knows.

However, some of the other ladies made a point when they said that us black women always get thrown under the bus for wanting to look every which way except our natural selves, but when other women of other races want to do something to alter their looks, it's not magnified.

blueberryd

Not surprised.

We (general black women) would kill for their length.

They (general white women) would kill for our bodies and "tanned" skin.

Brazilian want to be skinny like white super models. (Brazil is the 1# user of diet pills)

Asians imitate EVERYBODY.

Its all jealousy and all flattery.

Every culture wants something from the other.

:lachen: very true post!!