Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Saludable84
Hi Sis!:kiss:

*cough*:love2: - Let's Pretend :look: if you were going to create a SB Pre-Poo w/SB what else would you add to it?

I want to whip up a Pre-Poo Blend to use Overnight.

I agree with @BronxJazzy

Just because I’m selective about pre-poo and like treatments with mine, I’d whip it with some herb or henna infused oil. I know I have some marshmallow and oat straw around here. I also like the idea of using thyme with henna in the oil, and warming the Shea Butter before use :look:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I agree with
Just because I’m selective about pre-poo and like treatments with mine, I’d whip it with some herb or henna infused oil. I know I have some marshmallow and oat straw around here. I also like the idea of using thyme with henna in the oil, and warming the Shea Butter before use :look:
@Saludable84
Thank You Ms. Whiptress:kiss:
:drool:....:love:....:infatuated:

You and @BronxJazzy getting busy with the Pre-Poo Blends!:laugh:

I'd liked to create an overnight Pre-Poo with some of this SB I have here.:lick:

Last edited:

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Monthly progress. The ends are getting thicker!!
View attachment 433935

Your growth is wild. I love how you can see the health and length of your hair increasing.

I’m bout to order my Shea this weekend.

Can anyone share their experiences with Shea Nilotica? I’m debating between ordering that from 3cayg (looks sooo soft and creamy) or unrefined ivory. I will be whipping an extra batch to use on my body. I read about it originally on here but can’t find the original post. Maybe @Chicoro can help lol
ETA: previously ordered unrefined Ivory Shea Butter from Oslove Organics on Amazon -- really like it but am curious about other types of Shea and vendors

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
Your growth is wild. I love how you can see the health and length of your hair increasing.

Can anyone share their experiences with Shea Nilotica? I’m debating between ordering that from 3cayg (looks sooo soft and creamy) or unrefined ivory. I will be whipping an extra batch to use on my body. I read about it originally on here but can’t find the original post. Maybe @Chicoro can help lol
ETA: previously ordered unrefined Ivory Shea Butter from Oslove Organics on Amazon -- really like it but am curious about other types of Shea and vendors
Thank you! I’m amazed myself:lol:

GGsKin

I've got some Shea Nilotica. I really like it, although I haven't used any in my mixes for ages. I can't remember the percentage of liquid oils I used but I do remember that that mix was less airy/ fluffy, and more creamy. It is super soft and creamy all on it's own. The smell is still nutty but less strong than my other Shea butters.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
@IDareT'sHair

would you recommend it over the ivory?

My main thing was my last batch (while amazing on my skin and hair) was sooo thick it took a lot of extra work to work into my hair and skin and I felt I always used too much at once so I went through my batch fast.

I want this next batch to be light and fluffy so it melts into my hair and skin.

@GGsKin what do you do to make your mixes so airy and fluffy? I just looked at your last batch and it looked so light exactly what I’m going for. Maybe I’m just not mixing long enough? or using enough other oils?

Last edited:

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
I must add that I had taken my braids out the night before. But still, that was fast. And even after all my experience with hair, it felt like I was taking a risk. The possibility existed that I'd be stuck in the middle with matted, unfinished hair.

For your specific situation, @sarumoki, just keep learning about your hair. Just keep trying. One thing about hair is that is organic. It is continuously changing throughout our lives. That means that once you think you mastered your hair, it can 'turn' around and have a different texture, thickness and color or something else!

I always say that growing and maintaining afro-textured hair is a 'thinking game'. It is never a guessing game. It takes analysis, study, trial and error, over a period of time. Eventually, things will fall into place for you. Be encouraged!

THIS. I feel like I keep guessing at what works and in what order and always trying to mix it up and experiment w new products/brands. This next season I plan to be more disciplined about sticking to Queen Shea (swear she a jealous mistress because every time I stray my hair acts up) and a consistent regimen. Then slowly experiment one thing at a time to see how my hair responds. I need to be more patient I always want to see immediate results if not I’m on to the next.

YES to Study and analysis over a period of time.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Just ordered 3cayg 5 lb pail of unrefined ivory shea butter :drunk: I'm hooked and so serious about this hair journey now. Plus I plan to use it on my hair and body so considering it a good investment

any tips for using and measuring shea butter out of this giant pail? I want to do 1/2 or 1 pound batches so I can accurately measure and experiment with the best mixes / ways to whip. Can't wait to start whipping once it gets here *excited*

:bouncy:

GGsKin

@IDareT'sHair

My main thing was my last batch (while amazing on my skin and hair) was sooo thick it took a lot of extra work to work into my hair and skin and I felt I always used too much at once so I went through my batch fast.

I want this next batch to be light and fluffy so it melts into my hair and skin.

@GGsKin what do you do to make your mixes so airy and fluffy? I just looked at your last batch and it looked so light exactly what I’m going for. Maybe I’m just not mixing long enough? or using enough other oils?

I always melt, freeze, then mix. And like Chicoro (if I remember correctly), I always add coconut oil while mixing. I also let it whip for at least 10-15mins. I tend to be heavy-handed but when I use my mixes, I have to remind myself that not only do I not need to be because a little goes a long way, but also my low po hair doesn't like too much of anything.

Many times I've gone to apply some Shea butter to my ends with a mountain of Shea on my fingers. I either realise it's way too much and put some back....or I just apply it all anyway and cuss as it takes it's time to sink in:look:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@IDareT'sHair

I usually measure mine out and add about 2oz if oil per 6oz of butter (if you like to make a batches) and whip for about 10 minutes at least. Keep whipping and scraping the sides until you get the texture you want.

caribeandiva

Human being
...any tips for using and measuring shea butter out of this giant pail? I want to do 1/2 or 1 pound batches so I can accurately measure and experiment with the best mixes / ways to whip. Can't wait to start whipping once it gets here *excited*

:bouncy:
Honestly that’s my biggest hesitation as to why I haven’t ordered a pail of 3cayg Shea butter. I buy the 1 pound little tubs because I don’t have to guesstimate and just whip it up.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Honestly that’s my biggest hesitation as to why I haven’t ordered a pail of 3cayg Shea butter. I buy the 1 pound little tubs because I don’t have to guesstimate and just whip it up.

That was my plan but it said because of the summer heat she’s only accepting order for Shea butter pails ugh and also it’s more economic lol maybe I can use my scale to weigh it out lol

WaistLengthDreams

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I absolutely love this thread. I started using Shea Butter on my daughter's hair because of all of this information you've been sharing in here. As soon as the whipped shea butter met her hair, it was clear that they were meant to be. Her hair smooths so much better now and her braids look so good (on day one, lol). And her hair doesn't dry out as much. I undo the ends of her braids to re apply water and shea butter and it keeps her ends from drying too much. It's been such a great addition to her hair regimen.

Our whipped shea butter mix has coconut oil and avocado oil in it -- that's it.

I just big chopped and her mix has been my leave in on wet hair before adding a hair styler. We are a shea buttery pair now. And I have you lovely ladies to thank for that. If I end up experimenting with other mixes, I'll be sure to come back and share.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
I finally got my package from 3cayG

Cocoa Butter smells like I should pop a piece in my mouth, muru muru is so moisturizing, cupuacu smells like a drank, the ivory Shea is softer than the yellow, but they’re both pretty dang soft. Here’s a family photo:

*excuse the toes.

how did you go about using your shea butter out of the pail? I tried pulling it out but it wouldn't budge! haha

MY PAIL ARRIVED *insert happy dance* omg as soon as I opened it the wonderful smell hit me in the best possible way. planning to mix with lavender essential oil for smell and supposed to be good for hair plus just a little sweet almond oil and EVCO

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
@Garner
I have 2 different blends I make...But for each I prefer Ceramide rich oils because they are light so easily absorbed by the skin and hair. I like to pair the Ceramide oils with fruit oils. Shea, plus ceramides plus fruit oils just make a lovely combination.

So for blend 1: Shea, Safflower Oil that I infuse with herbs, and apricot oil.

For blend 2: Shea, Ricebran Oil that I infuse with herbs, and peach kernel oil.

My ratio of Shea to oils is 1 to 1. So half and half.

I've tried many different combos, ratios and techniques over this last year and those are my favorite. The mixture ends up being light, fluffy and spreads easily. Only a small amount of it is needed to get the job done. When I apply, I only do a fingertip for my whole head of hair which lasts for usually 7 days. I only reapply to my ends maybe once or twice in between.

just quoting to bump up and save these wonderful recipes. Anyone else had any experience with fruit oils? Do they smell wonderful and yummy?

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
how did you go about using your shea butter out of the pail? I tried pulling it out but it wouldn't budge! haha

MY PAIL ARRIVED *insert happy dance* omg as soon as I opened it the wonderful smell hit me in the best possible way. planning to mix with lavender essential oil for smell and supposed to be good for hair plus just a little sweet almond oil and EVCO
It has to be softened a bit. It gets pretty hot in my apartment, so I have less problems lol.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
So, I didn’t want a pail and purchased mine from eBay. I’ve purchased other stuff from the seller before. Anyway, I got the ivory Shea Butter even though I don’t prefer ivory (even though I still like it) for direct use with hair even though I’ll still use it lol.

What I like about this one is that it looks like the ivory Shea Butter I’ve gotten from a coworker who got it straight from one of his family members that processes it. It has a different consistency than the ones you get from Harlem. The ivory is usually more fluffy and easy to use unlike yellow which needs help :look: this one is ivory and still soft but firm (which is usually not the case for ivory for me). I know that sounds weird, but it’s hard finding ivory in that consistency.

I’m going to make a small blend tomorrow with just a couple of Ayurvedic herbs and a little oil to mix it with.

kelsey72

New member here in need of help! I've been lurking on this page for a couple of weeks and have decided to jump into the Shea Growth Regimen late. I had hope for my first post to be a bit more formal but I have a semi-urgent newbie question and decided to approach the Shea Gurus! So I have been in the process for a day trying to make my first shea mix. My plan was to mix the following:

- ~5 oz Shea Nilotica (this exact brand, which I decided to get due to my fine hair)
-~ 8 tablespoons (4 oz) grapeseed oil
-~2 tablespoons (1oz) safflower oil
-~4 tablespoons (2oz) virgin coconut oil

My process has not been as smooth as imagined. I ended up melting down the Shea Nilotica with the grapeseed oil gently over a homemade double broiler (now looking back probably could've skipped this step) . I sat it in the fridge overnight and began mixing using a handheld immersion blender. I noticed that it started melting very quickly into a thick oily liquid (rather than a light airy mixture). I know that melt/freeze/blend method tends to yield a creamier mixture but right now my shea mix has absolutely no cream attributes about it, simply a thick/oily/slightly runny mixture, like a DIY deep conditioner. It did expand a bit due to the aeration from my blending (blended for about 12 mins). Popped it back in the fridge for about another hour and attempted blending again, same consistency and longer blending only made it runnier. Thinking there was too much oil, I tried adding more shea and more VCO, only resulting in a slightly more viscous mixture. I'm now doing my hair and currently trying to figure out what to do next before I get to the sealing step. Would anyone recommend getting more shea to add? Maybe re-freeze and try reblending again? Do I need to blend even longer? Is it all a wash?:drunk: HELP! Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and/or respond.

VictoriousBrownFlower

New member here in need of help! I've been lurking on this page for a couple of weeks and have decided to jump into the Shea Growth Regimen late. I had hope for my first post to be a bit more formal but I have a semi-urgent newbie question and decided to approach the Shea Gurus! So I have been in the process for a day trying to make my first shea mix. My plan was to mix the following:

- ~5 oz Shea Nilotica (this exact brand, which I decided to get due to my fine hair)

My process has not been as smooth as imagined. I ended up melting down the Shea Nilotica with the grapeseed oil gently over a homemade double broiler (now looking back probably could've skipped this step) . I sat it in the fridge overnight and began mixing using a handheld immersion blender. I noticed that it started melting very quickly into a thick oily liquid (rather than a light airy mixture). I know that melt/freeze/blend method tends to yield a creamier mixture but right now my shea mix has absolutely no cream attributes about it, simply a thick/oily/slightly runny mixture, like a DIY deep conditioner. It did expand a bit due to the aeration from my blending (blended for about 12 mins). Popped it back in the fridge for about another hour and attempted blending again, same consistency and longer blending only made it runnier. Thinking there was too much oil, I tried adding more shea and more VCO, only resulting in a slightly more viscous mixture. I'm now doing my hair and currently trying to figure out what to do next before I get to the sealing step. Would anyone recommend getting more shea to add? Maybe re-freeze and try reblending again? Do I need to blend even longer? Is it all a wash?:drunk: HELP! Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and/or respond.
Imo wayyy too much oil to shea ratio. I find what helps me is taking whatever oils i wanna use and using 1 tbsp at a time of each.

So take out a glob of shea. Add tbsp each of oils. Use a metal spoon and break down the shea with the back of the spoon while mixing the oil and shea together. Add 1 tbsp each of the oils until the oil shea mix is the consistency I want it to be. Then blend.

I hope that made sense.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Just looked at the link of the shea you used and that's the prob. It's not a butter it's an oil. That won't whip up like a butter will.

kelsey72

Just looked at the link of the shea you used and that's the prob. It's not a butter it's an oil. That won't whip up like a butter will.
Oops! Wrong link, I got the butter. I'll just post the whole link rather than attempt to hyperlink like last time.