Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

kelsey72

Imo wayyy too much oil to shea ratio. I find what helps me is taking whatever oils i wanna use and using 1 tbsp at a time of each.

So take out a glob of shea. Add tbsp each of oils. Use a metal spoon and break down the shea with the back of the spoon while mixing the oil and shea together. Add 1 tbsp each of the oils until the oil shea mix is the consistency I want it to be. Then blend.

I hope that made sense.
@BronxJazzy Thank you so much for your response! I know now in the future to add the oil incrementally rather than pour it together at once. I guess that's what I get for attempting to multi-task! It looks like based on your information that my best course of action would be to re-freeze my current mix, get some more shea in the AM (probably won't be the nilotica variety unfortunately...), and add it to what I have already to even out the ratios. Looks like no shea-ceramide mix for me tonight. At least I have a tiny bit of unused leftover shea for sealing my hair. Again, truly appreciate long-time members helping out a newbie like me. This thread is the best!

VictoriousBrownFlower

@BronxJazzy Thank you so much for your response! I know now in the future to add the oil incrementally rather than pour it together at once. I guess that's what I get for attempting to multi-task! It looks like based on your information that my best course of action would be to re-freeze my current mix, get some more shea in the AM (probably won't be the nilotica variety unfortunately...), and add it to what I have already to even out the ratios. Looks like no shea-ceramide mix for me tonight. At least I have a tiny bit of unused leftover shea for sealing my hair. Again, truly appreciate long-time members helping out a newbie like me. This thread is the best!
Thats def what i would do. I've used reg old shea that you get from beauty supplies etc and the mix was awesome. So it really doesn't have to be anything special. Especially your first time out. Like I said this time see how it comes out without melting just mixing with a bit of elbow grease til it's smooth and well mixed. Then whip. I bet it will whip right up.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Thats def what i would do. I've used reg old shea that you get from beauty supplies etc and the mix was awesome. So it really doesn't have to be anything special. Especially your first time out. Like I said this time see how it comes out without melting just mixing with a bit of elbow grease til it's smooth and well mixed. Then whip. I bet it will whip right up.
This is the method i use for whipping shea without heat. It has both methods on the page. I just find the no heat to be more user friendly.
https://www.tipsfornaturalbeauty.co...d-shea-butter-with-without-heat/#.W3juOs5KjIU

caribeandiva

Human being
New member here in need of help! I've been lurking on this page for a couple of weeks and have decided to jump into the Shea Growth Regimen late. I had hope for my first post to be a bit more formal but I have a semi-urgent newbie question and decided to approach the Shea Gurus! So I have been in the process for a day trying to make my first shea mix. My plan was to mix the following:

- ~5 oz Shea Nilotica (this exact brand, which I decided to get due to my fine hair)
-~ 8 tablespoons (4 oz) grapeseed oil
-~2 tablespoons (1oz) safflower oil
-~4 tablespoons (2oz) virgin coconut oil

My process has not been as smooth as imagined. I ended up melting down the Shea Nilotica with the grapeseed oil gently over a homemade double broiler (now looking back probably could've skipped this step) . I sat it in the fridge overnight and began mixing using a handheld immersion blender. I noticed that it started melting very quickly into a thick oily liquid (rather than a light airy mixture). I know that melt/freeze/blend method tends to yield a creamier mixture but right now my shea mix has absolutely no cream attributes about it, simply a thick/oily/slightly runny mixture, like a DIY deep conditioner. It did expand a bit due to the aeration from my blending (blended for about 12 mins). Popped it back in the fridge for about another hour and attempted blending again, same consistency and longer blending only made it runnier. Thinking there was too much oil, I tried adding more shea and more VCO, only resulting in a slightly more viscous mixture. I'm now doing my hair and currently trying to figure out what to do next before I get to the sealing step. Would anyone recommend getting more shea to add? Maybe re-freeze and try reblending again? Do I need to blend even longer? Is it all a wash?:drunk: HELP! Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and/or respond.
Welcome! @BronxJazzy gave you great advice already. Watching this video helped me a lot when I first started making my own whipped Shea butter.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
I whipped wonderful batch last night. I could NOT for the life of me get it out of that pail so I used my metal ice cream scooper :lol: and I also realized I was basically out of all my other oils ‍♀️ So my mix was ~3 scoops of Shea butter + ~2 tbsp sweet almond oil + lavender essential oil (added after mixing and then mixing more) it was definitely fluffier than previous batches but was still quite dense

I didn’t melt the Shea butter first and used a small amount of oil to Shea batter ratio based on @Chicoro said in a previous posts

ETA: pics. I had to screenshot the actual pics or they won’t upload lol

Attachments

• CC625559-B122-43E4-A122-DBCE9BA01FA8.jpeg
    CC625559-B122-43E4-A122-DBCE9BA01FA8.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 09C1ADEA-9A4A-461B-9A73-8D67D4ABB255.jpeg
    09C1ADEA-9A4A-461B-9A73-8D67D4ABB255.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 56

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Wash Day Test:
Washed hair w black soap shampoo
Detangled Giovanni SAS conditioner
Deep condition w Mint Babbassu
Tea spritz (something new I’m trying)
Kinky curly knot today leave in
Shea butter to twist

Giiiiiiiiirl. My twists were sooooo juicy :love:And the shine oh how could I forget the shine ?! SHEA SHINE COME THROUGH:gorgeous: please refer to pics of resulting twist out (and trust me it looks even shinier in person)

Does anyone else notice their twists dry faster with Shea butter?!

Attachments

• 451F33FE-5495-497F-8595-EE01946207F9.jpeg
    451F33FE-5495-497F-8595-EE01946207F9.jpeg
    986.6 KB · Views: 62
  • EA338D07-B39A-4192-9857-9071F983215A.jpeg
    EA338D07-B39A-4192-9857-9071F983215A.jpeg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 63

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Made a batch of Shea Butter with oils, amla, maka and kalpi kapoor. It’s still a light brown color, but I didn’t want the herbs to make it too dark to heavy and leave a residue. Will be using today.

Sally.

Wash Day Test:
Shea butter to twist

Giiiiiiiiirl. My twists were sooooo juicy :love:And the shine oh how could I forget the shine ?! SHEA SHINE COME THROUGH:gorgeous: please refer to pics of resulting twist out (and trust me it looks even shinier in person)

You hair looks really nice! Defined and moisturized! What black soap shampoo recipe did you use? And did you just use straight shea butter or did you whip up something? I still haven't found a shea butter hair recipe that allows me to wear my hair out with it on. Shea butter weighs my hair down.

sissimpson

I have been mixing up various combinations of oils and butters, packaging them up and freezing them in anticipation of selling them. I gave a 16oz jar to my niece a while back, and she went gaga over it. I gave her 2- 8 ounce jars to sell (and one for herself of course). She wants to sell them for $15 each. Seems a little pricey to me, what do you ladies think?

betteron2day

Wash Day Test:
Shea butter to twist

Did you two strand twist?

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
@Sally. && @betteron2day

I whipped up the Shea butter with only a little bit of sweet almond oil. I want to experiment with adding a ceramide oil though I was thinking sunflower oil?

I can only wear my hair out and down if I use the Shea butter to twist on freshly moisturized hair and give it time (hour or preferably overnight) to sink in and dry. That’s what I did here applied to freshly washed hair over KCKT and two strand twisted for a poppin twist out. My ends were so soft Shea butter eradicates split dry ends it’s amazing and my hair always comes out soft.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I have been mixing up various combinations of oils and butters, packaging them up and freezing them in anticipation of selling them. I gave a 16oz jar to my niece a while back, and she went gaga over it. I gave her 2- 8 ounce jars to sell (and one for herself of course). She wants to sell them for $15 each. Seems a little pricey to me, what do you ladies think?
Not if people are willing to pay that.

Goombay_Summer

I've seen vendors on Etsy selling their proprietary blends of Shea Butter concoctions ranging in price from approximately $9 -20 for 4 oz of product (not including shipping).

Sarabellam

Wash Day Test:
Shea butter to twist

Your hair pics made me smile! I swear straight hair can look picturesque with every hair in place but our hair has the essence of life and joy.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I am wearing my hair in a single braid slathered in shea butter mix. I've decided to take a break from wearing weaves/wigs in order to focus on not being so dependent on protective styles that involve fake hair. Still growing out my layers but I did notice some progress this past summer! Here's to hoping for some more inches by the end of the year.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Update:
In an effort to up my growth and M&S more often on Wednesday I started on my twist off from the weekend:
Water spritz
Giovanni direct leave in to detangle
Shea butter to seal and twist

Notes: it was significantly harder starting from dry hair like it took almost twice as long to do. In general while the Shea butter melts when I rub my hands together it like solidifies and hardens when I try to work through on cold wet hair. I’m thinking maybe spritz and leave in allover my hair let air dry then apply Shea butter (which does melt in my hands) to hair that is only slightly damp.