Silk Dreams Hair Care Product Reviews!

Angelicus

Review: Silk Dreams Shea What! Therapeutic Conditioning Masque 8oz.

Method: I followed the alternate directions on the Silk Dreams website: Separate dry hair into four sections. Apply thoroughly from root to tip. Leave on 30-60 minutes with a plastic cap. Rinse. Do not shampoo. Apply leave-in. This treatment is also recommended as a proactive step for occasions when you know you will be heat styling your hair.

This was my first time not shampooing before a roller set so I was somewhat nervous about if my hair was going to be clean.

The first thing I noticed when I put this in was that it wasn't coating my hair like Aubrey Organics GPB or my other favorite conditioners. My hair was just drinking this masque up. I have found that a little goes a long way with this line so I tried not to waste product by not using too much.

I was so sleepy on Saturday :yawn: that I ended up sleeping the whole day with this stuff on :lol: I woke up the next morning and rinsed it out while detangling in the shower: I was surprised to get slip and softness from this product (I wasn't expecting to like this conditioner because my hair doesn't like shea butter) My hair loves this crap and I couldn't stop playing in my wet hair. This is the way that moisturized hair is supposed to feel... not coated and limp). I do like the scent of this masque but wish that it smelled like the vanilla oatmeal cookie scent like the Cleansing Cream or the Vanilla Silk Cream. I also like the fact that it has so many good ingredients! I am amazed at the product and it has exceeded my expectations. :up::up:

I followed up with Silky Soft Leave-in Cream before roller setting and drying under my daughter (Salon hair dryer). My hair remained completely wet until the last 3 rollers of my hair were put on in the back (whereas my hair stayed completely wet during setting time when using Vanilla Silk Cream then Silky Soft Leave-in).

My hair felt so soft and silky that I didn't even bother flat ironing my new growth. The leave in doesn't straighten it-- I was just playing in my new growth so much that I didn't want to straighten it :lol:. So sorry that I didn't take a picture. :sad:

A lot of people are asking the owner for a butter and moisturizer but I have been using the Vanilla Silk Cream Moisture Dream Rich Moisture Treatment as a daily moisturizer. It's thick, water based, smells good and melts in my hair without limping my curls. It makes me wonder, what is the difference between a conditioner and a moisturizer? I have also used the Leave-in as a daily moisturizer with the same success. Soon I will try to use the daily conditioner as a moisturizer and post a review.

prettyinpurple

Okay time for my review too :grin:

First of all: I'm normally not into scented products (well heavily scented ones). But I like the scents of the products that I tried.

I used the reformulated version of Whip My Hair. I made sure my hair was very wet since I was skeptical of using a cleansing cream :look: Anyways it worked out well. I was slathering it on and couldn't feel any products. Luckily I got out of the shower and looked in the mirror, I could see there was plenty of product. Otherwise I was about the use the whole jar LOL. I continued to work it into my hair and it did lather. It rinsed cleanly and my hair felt lovely.

Next I used the Vanilla Silk condish and I loved it :grin: Again, I couldn't feel the product on my hair but I decided to trust it. It is very thick which is why I expected to feel it in my hair. I applied it in sections and did not need a lot of product for each section. My hair soaked it up too and I agree that a little goes a long way. I put on a plastic cap and hung out for a bit before rinsing. Then I detangled and rinsed. Hair was nicely moisturized.

I can't wait to use these products again. I'm so happy to find a new dc. I had ordered some Enso samples and liked them but I will not repurchase due to recent news :spinning:

I need to find a better way to use the cleansing cream in the shower. I didn't pay attention to where I put it and the poor opened jar got a shower too. :lol:

Last edited:

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I have used a few of the items I ordered. I ordered the conditioner junkie regimen bundle as well as the nourish oil.

Reviews of what I've used:

Nourish Oil: I L.O.V.E this oil. I am texlaxed but prefer to wear my hair in straight flowy styles. This oil is simply light and yummy. It allowed me to airdry with very smooth hair and when applied after my flat iron my hair felt extremely soft and smooth but not at all heavy. I could barely tell the oil was on if not for the feel and smell of my hair. If you're looking for a heavy oil this is not for you but if you're looking for something light and well, nourishing this is PERFECT. Absolute staple.

Destination Hydration Conditioner: This smells yummy but not too overpowering. It's not overly thick but not light either in my opinion. I shampooed w/ a non sulfate shampoo and did a quick rinse w/ this, leaving it on for about 5 minutes while I showered. My hair washed silky smooth and was easy to comb (I have waves/curls from texlaxing), the smell lingered just enough to be pleasant but not head aching and my hair was very shiny.

Silky Soft Leave In Cream: I applied this to my hair, then my hairveda gel and a little nourish oil and covered my hair with my silk scarf to dry. I was a little apprehensive because of aloe being so high up the list as too much of this tends to make my hair dry but JUST like my Oyin Hair Dew this defied the aloe odds and allowed my hair to air dry soft and smooth. I love this + the nourish oil for drying to soft smooth hair. Staple.

I still have to try the Vanilla Silk DC and Shea What DC and will return with reviews of those as soon as I use them. One thing is for sure, Silk Dreams has a loyal customer in me. I received my order within 5-6 days after ordering if I'm not mistaken.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hey Ladies who've tried the Shea What! product, I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the scent. I noticed Anky said she would prefer one of the scents similar to Whip or Vanilla Silk. I have been wondering if a Shea based product should come with a sweeter scent. The current scent is a sweet lemony scent like a lemon pudding. I am interested in your thoughts. :up: I appreciate the feedback everyone is offering, even suggestions for new products to add to the line. It's cool. I already go to bed "dreaming" up new products. :D

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Supergirl I actually like the scents of Destination Hydration and Shea What! over Whip and Vanilla Silk. I wouldn't want those two to change. :yep:

BTW, Destination Hydration is my baby daddy. Will it be offered in bigger sizes? Like, maybe 64 oz jugs? :lol:

Angelicus

BTW, Destination Hydration is my baby daddy. Will it be offered in bigger sizes? Like, maybe 64 oz jugs? :lol:

:rofl: Tiffers, you're crazy. Tonight will be the first night that I am using the Destination Hydration. I'm kind of scared because I am not sectioning my hair before washing (I haven't been doing this since I started using the Silk Dreams line). I really hope it gives slip like the other ones.

I wasn't meaning this to be a Q&A thread but I am so happy that it turned out that way. I learn about a lot of great products from this board. Thank you kindly, Supergirl.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I love all the scents and love the variety. Although I love the smell of the Vanilla Silk, it'd be rather boring if everything had that smell.

SmilingElephant

Hey Supergirl....i know you JUST got your business started but do you think you will offer larger sizes/pump bottles in the future? I LOVES me a pump bottle!!:grin:...less mess....well for me at least:look:

SmilingElephant

Hey Ladies who've tried the Shea What! product, I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the scent. I noticed Anky said she would prefer one of the scents similar to Whip or Vanilla Silk. I have been wondering if a Shea based product should come with a sweeter scent. The current scent is a sweet lemony scent like a lemon pudding. I am interested in your thoughts. :up: I appreciate the feedback everyone is offering, even suggestions for new products to add to the line. It's cool. I already go to bed "dreaming" up new products. :D

If this lemon scent smells anything like a lemon cake with icing on top......I'M ON IT!!!!:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:

I had a lemon/vanilla scented body lotion from BBW and i used it as slowly as possible bc i loved SO much how it smelled...if it smells more like a lemongrass-y scent....:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Supergirl I actually like the scents of Destination Hydration and Shea What! over Whip and Vanilla Silk. I wouldn't want those two to change. :yep:

I'm planning to offer it in a 16oz. in the future.

:rofl: Tiffers, you're crazy. Tonight will be the first night that I am using the Destination Hydration. I'm kind of scared because I am not sectioning my hair before washing (I haven't been doing this since I started using the Silk Dreams line). I really hope it gives slip like the other ones.

I wasn't meaning this to be a Q&A thread but I am so happy that it turned out that way. I learn about a lot of great products from this board. Thank you kindly, Supergirl.

Sorry! I did kind of do a mini-hijack, huh? :look:

Hey Supergirl....i know you JUST got your business started but do you think you will offer larger sizes/pump bottles in the future? I LOVES me a pump bottle!!:grin:...less mess....well for me at least:look:

For the products that are in jars, it would take some major work (like a miracle) to get those in bottles, because of their thickness! :lol: Destination Hydration will come in a 16 oz. in the future. I never thought of a pump, but I see what you're saying. I always appreciated pumps at the height of my PJness. That might be something for me to think about. :up:

tiffers

Okay, I've been too lazy to give a review, but I'll stop lazin' around and get to it. :lol:

Whip My Hair!:

When the directions say a little goes a long way, listen. I didn't. :nono: :rofl: I put about five globs of it on my head and once I started massaging it in, I was like "Oops" :drunk: It lathered up nicely and cleaned really well, but because I used too much, it wasn't as moisturizing as I'd like. I'll use way less the next time I use it. :yep:

Shea What!:

I really like the smell. It just glided onto my hair and softened it immediately when I rubbed it on. Let it marinate for a few hours before rinsing and my hair was soooo curly when I rinsed in the shower. Didn't have much slip, but my hair was very soft and moisturized.

I had a lot less breakage and shedding after using it, and my hair was definitely more elastic. Thumbs way up!

Vanilla Silk Cream:

This is my favorite of the two dc's so far. Like Shea What, this immediately softened and melted into my hair. I left this one on for hours, just like the SW, and when I rinsed, my hair was buttery soft. Detangling was easy peasy and I think this added to the elastity that I'd gotten from Shea What! Woot-woot! :woot:

Destination Hydration:

Oh, how I love thee. :cloud9:

My hair ate this stuff right up. As soon as I put it on, I had to keep rubbing my hair like "Wait, it's still there, right?" :lol: Left it on for the length of my shower and upon rinsing, my hair had turned into soft, silky, soft... basically everything you want your hair to be when you wash it! :lachen:

If Supergirl offered it in gallon sizes, I'd buy 10... and use 'em all up in a week. :giggle:

Nourish:

I used this to oil rinse and seal and it's definitely a keeper. This oil also aided in adding elasticity to my hair. It's pretty awesomesauce and I'll be ordering more verrah soon. I love that it has three ceramide oils in it and the texture is very light. I used it as a body oil and hubby loved it. *waggles eyebrows*

Silky Soft Leave-In:

I think it's safe to say that any conditioner in the Silk Dreams line will immediately soften and melt into your hair. Silky Soft is no exception to that law of physics. :lol: Smells good and leaves my hair so soft and moisturized after a night of baggying.

In conclusion:

I've already added two more Destination Hydration, Shea What! Deux and Nourish to my cart. Just waiting on pay day. :look:

I will be stalking this and the other Silk Dreams thread to find out when the other products will be released because I NEED them in my life. Need. Them.

Fin.

SmilingElephant

Lol @tiffers and her waggling eyebrows!:lachen:....I was going to purchase an item last nite....but i'm gonna wait until next week(pay day) to buy one of the bundles.

Lawd...:skitzo:..:nono: (i love that crazy smiley!:grin:)

prettyinpurple

I used the Vanilla Silk as a moisturizer on dry hair last night. I sectioned my hair for large twists and applied it to each section. I took down my twists the morning and I have soft, fluffy hair. My hair felt immediately moisturized when applying and I was happy to see that it remained moisturized overnight.

I used it sparingly on my hair and I'm happy to note that the scent isn't lingering or overpowering at all. I like the scent but heavy lingering scents give me a headache.

Nefertiti0906

Supergirl, do you have any products that you would recommend for natural gals?

I saw tiffers posted a review so I'm eyeing those specific products, but do you have any other recommendations (i.e. which bundle should i purchase)?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Supergirl, do you have any products that you would recommend for natural gals?

I saw tiffers posted a review so I'm eyeing those specific , but do you have any other recommendations (i.e. which bundle should i purchase)?

Yes, :yep: either Shea What! or Vanilla Silk. Also, in a few weeks, the hair butter and two moisturizing creams will be available. I'd recommend the hair butter (Soft & Shiny Hair Butter) and/or the heavier of the two moisturizing creams (Creme de la Silk).

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
tiffers I got the conditioner bundle with Shea What! :D Your reviews really sealed it for me. And did you see what Supergirl said above....a new product called Creme De La Silk!:lick: I'll be stalking the site till it's available fo' sho!

tiffers

bajandoc86 *high five*

I'm bout to be aaaaall over that Creme de la Silk! I seriously can't wait! I keep checking daily to see if the new stuff is there... even though Supergirl said they won't be out for the next couple of weeks. :look:

Man, I can't wait till payday. I already have my cart full o' goodies, just need the funds. :lol:

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I've used these products twice now and I'm really lovin' 'em. :love2:
I'm mad that I didn't get the leave-in. That will be in my next order. In the meantime, I'm going to use my Salerm B5 leave-in. I have a whole tube in my cabinet.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have enjoyed everything about the SDH line. Tonight I used the Whip My Hair cleansing cream. My cowashing skills are lacking. I normally cowash and have tangles galore. Tonight I felt my situation wouldn't be any different but I was determined to check out the product and see what it was about. I have low porosity so I rinsed my hair really well and cowashed. My hair felt soft upon rinsing. I cowashed a second time and my hair felt even better. I air dried with ease and without tangles. I recently got a nice trim up so my well manicured ends helped this go over well also. This product (Whip My Hair) and product line definitely gets a thumbs up from me. Before tonight, I've never cowashed without issues and I've even used/tried WEN which resulted in tangles. I am thoroughly impressed with Whip My Hair.