Stylists turning clients away from the mirror...

bydebra

This is random, but I want to know why do stylists turn clients away from the mirror? I went to a stylist (a VERY popular natural hair stylist in Houston :look:) for a sew-in. The sew-in was fine and I only really needed it for a photo shoot, but I kept it up for about 4 weeks. I pretty much had to take it down at that point because the tracks were getting loose (bad sign). I thought about going to her to tighten it, but I decided against it.

When I took my hair down, I was surprised to find that she had done a straight back pattern :ohwell:. I prefer a beehive, which in my experience is healthier for hair and I stupidly assumed that is what she was going to do for the price that I paid :perplexed.

I blame myself for not asking more questions, but I also blame her for turning me away from the mirror. I rarely (when I say rarely, I mean once a year if that), go a stylist and this is why.

If a stylist is confident is his or her work, why turn a client away from the mirror? Any stylists out there want to chime in?

bydebra

It's easier to turn you around than it is for them to dance around the chair.

I can't really turn around (move) while a stylist is working, though.

The stylist I normally go to when I'm in a pinch keeps me turned toward the mirror the whole time except the end when she is styling/curling the hair - that way the final product can be a "surprise." Her tools are on a rolling cart, so she can access them.

nlamr2013

I think
1. Because they don't want you in essence hovering.
2. It's a bit awkward especially when doing something like a weave that takes a minute to be just looking at a mirror.
3. I agree wow factor
4. The tools are usually on the station is easier to grab different tools

I'm just trying to figure out how you didn't notice your hair was straight Back until you took the weave out.

BeautyBlvd

Beauty Blvd.
I think it's just easier for them to move around and stuff. You could always ask to be faced towards the mirror, tell them you want to watch.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
When I was going to a stylist I was always turned away from the mirror, facing the window and door. Which was ok with me because her shop was in a popular building for jewelry shops, clothing stores and a bar lol and there was high traffic and occasionally drama. I preferred facing the door.

I prefer straight back over the beehive because the tracks hold the hair down better as it grows. My tracks have always loosened after 2-3 weeks with a beehive and straight back I never have had to have tracks tightened and can keep my sew in for up to 2 months. But I can always feel which direction my hair is being parted and braided in. I don't need a mirror for that.

bydebra

I think
1. Because they don't want you in essence hovering.
2. It's a bit awkward especially when doing something like a weave that takes a minute to be just looking at a mirror.
3. I agree wow factor
4. The tools are usually on the station is easier to grab different tools

I'm just trying to figure out how you didn't notice your hair was straight Back until you took the weave out.

I didn't pay attention when she was braiding. Plus, she used a net, so I didn't have access to my scalp. I had the weave in for 4 weeks and I washed it at two weeks. I get a weave maybe once a year, if that. I really wasn't doing too much to the weave besides putting in flexi rods each night. Like I already said, not paying attention or asking questions was my fault.

ETA: In hindsight, I probably should have put this in the random thoughts thread, but I don't post too much, so...thanks everyone for your responses.

Last edited:

Subscribe

This seems to be the standard with black stylists. I haven't experienced this with non black stylists. They have a la carte equipment that allows a stylist to have her equipment mobile.

I once asked a stylist why she turns people away from the mirror and she said because she didn't want her clients nitpicking the entire time she was during their hair.

Babysaffy

When I'm doing my DD or my friends' hair and they are looking in the mirror at the same time it can mess up what I'm doing, especially braids and sometimes they'll reach up and touch without thinking.

It also strains my back to accommodate the little movements they do so it's just easier to have no mirror involved when styling.

LiftedUp

I asked my friend. She said the client can be annoying because they don't know the steps that go into producing the final style so they nit pick along the away. Therefore you let them see the final outcome and suggest changes to it if they so desire (most times they don't).

Now, if you prefer a beehive pattern, why didn't you state that upfront?

Lilmama1011

It's because it's more comfortable to reach tools and products. If you keep the clients head towards the mirror, you would have to keep walking around and literally do lunges to style the client's hair. I use to think they were being funny too until I became the stylist. Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure there are some who probably do it just to do it but not too many.

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

I got a blowout and trim at two different salons.

First salon, blowout, turned me away the entire time and it made me think about this thread. I took note that the tools (blow dryer, brush, flat iron, combs) were all on the station and plugged into the wall so grabbing them while I was turned to the side or away from the mirror was easier.

I got my trim later at a different salon and I was turned to face the mirror the entire time. I prefer to face the mirror.

crlsweetie912

It's because it's more comfortable to reach tools and products. If you keep the clients head towards the mirror, you would have to keep walking around and literally do lunges to style the client's hair. I use to think they were being funny too until I became the stylist. Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure there are some who probably do it just to do it but not too many.

A lot of people have carts or shelving to the side so they can easily reach while the customer is facing the mirror