*TANGLE TEEZER* is the truth....

virtuenow

Long live the Tangle Teezer: best hair tool I ever bought and it has saved my hair. I've been using it for almost 3months and no splits...In fact, my hair seems much more healthier. I was on a no comb regimen for nearly 2years b/c of the damaging affects of combs/brushes and my hands (yes, my finger detangling ws rough).

I actually use this thing a few times a week if not more...It allows me to wash alot more often--and I actually enjoy washing now--. I don't detangle on wet hair like most b/c hair is weak and fragile in its wet state. I did attempt to use wide tooth combs and the denman and those ripped and split my hair.

I will say, I never noticed anyone say they experienced a split until CurlyNikki said it...

Nayna

Unbothered
So I took my tangle teezer to work on Sunday just to see how it worked on some folks' hair and how the other stylists liked it. Man. That thing was a hit. I'll monitor the fine haired clients just in case but it was awesome!

virtuenow

I'm thinking of buying a third one. The compact one for my purse, of course! I already bought one for my mom and 2 for my nieces and they're doing great.

.:Eden:.

So the buzz is starting to swirl that the TT is causing splits. Someone even started a thread about it. Can you please let me know how you used it? What did you look for to see that you had splits - being it midshaft or ends? How did you determine it resulted from the TT? This info will help me understand the good/bad that this product has in my regi.

I wash, condition, rinse, apply leave-ins and start air drying. When about 90% dry, I whip out the TT to start the detangling process. I find that wet detangling is way too much for my hair so detangling when almost dry, but not quite dry is best. I go slowly and detangle in small sections. I first run a wide tooth comb over the section to pre-detangle and then I will run the TT down the strands thereafter to smooth things out.

I know a product will never be 100% supported but I'm just trying to figure out where are you, me, or we in general going wrong with what seems to be a lovely gadget.

Not knocking the posters of various yt vids, but I could never run the TT through my hair like they demonstrate. They just grab a section of hair and strongly pull the TT through that section. :nono:

Well, when I initially received it I tried it on a front section of my hair dry. I didn't notice damage until I tried it again on my wash day. I had my hair loaded with conditioner and it was slightly finger detangled already. I didn't notice the splits (on my ends) and ssks until the following wash week. Mind you my hair was in twists all week, I did nothing to it but my usually mid-week moisturizing.

I have a set regimen and the TT is all I have added or changed in it.

To those who may think the rumors of the TT causing splits and ssk's only heightened because CurlyNikki said so first, I can assure you this is not the case. I posted about my observations just slightly before Nikki said anything, it just happened to have gotten a lot of heat all around the same time.

I wish my strands were as tough as nails to withstand the damage, but they just aren't.:ohwell:

For those who don't have this problem, keep on truckin. Don't let us tender heads spoil your TT fun:yep:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
.:Eden:. and lovegymnasts, thank you for your update on how you've used the TT in the past. I only use mine on wash day at 90% dry. I feel that using it on wet hair is too much for my hair. I don't like how it slides through my wet hair so instead, I wait until most of the dampness has evaporated from my hair. I don't like how the TT feels on completely dry hair either. So again, I picked a position where I felt the item was best suited for my hair and that's about 90% dry with leave-ins already previously applied to sopping wet hair. I'll keep trucking but will keep watching. I truly thank you ladies for alerting us. I wasn't aware that CurlyNikki mentioned anything about the TT so that's new to me.

fivetimestwo

So my verdict is in...I love the tangle teezer!

I did my 5 year old DD'S hair and we got through it in record time with NO TEARS! This is a first because she always cries and says "it hurts" no matter what kind of leave-in detangler or comb I use. It really melted though her tangles and that's saying a lot because she has 4b hair that comes to her butt stretched.

This is definitely a keeper! :yep:

JKinkylocks

I love this darn thing. I completely 4b if not 4z and I always have split and ssk's no matter how much I moisture/protien/pHbalance/seal. It don't matter, I think it's just the nature of the hair God gave me.

Anywhoo, I feel I have have been around the same length for the past 2 years and have not been doing any retention. I'd been detangling with my seamless bone comb followed by my Denman d23 (i think, that's the number; it's the one with the widest spaced and fewest bristles) which did a great detangling job but always took out a considerable amount of hair and left a lot on the shower floor as well. I always thought that handful amount was normal shed hair for me... until I tried the TT. OMG that thing glides through my hair as if I'm rubbing it with velvet or silk! And no matter what I always get an amount of hair that's more like between nickel/quarter size... that's miniscule compared to what I used to get. I'm hoping this tool will be my key to length retention, because if not, in a few years I'll go back to locks. I miss having flowing hair down my back.

prettyinpurple

I finally used my purple Teezer last week. I did a thorough detangling session on damp DC'ed hair two days before my salon visit over the weekend (blow out and trim). My stylist was able to glide a wide toothed comb through my wet hair with little effort. She only had to work through a couple of tangles in the crown. I will pay more attn to that area in the future (I probably rushed through my crown at the end b/c it was late and I was tired lol).

That sucker really does get rid of all those shed hairs! I have been twisting my hair at night all week, and barely any hair is coming out. I usually see lots of shed hair when twisting and again when untwisting in the morning. I love how it catches all of the shed hair in the brush too as I normally have shed hair flying all over the bathroom when detangling. And no shed hair was flying all over the place during the blow-out either.

Any tips for cleaning your Teezer?
A few hairs did get caught in the brush and were hard to get out. I rinsed it, let it dry, and shook them out w/a little effort the next day. I did have to rinse it several times to get the product build-up out of it (mainly at the front of the brush).

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I clean my TT by rinsing after EVERY use and using the end of a rat tail comb to lift all the hairs out.

I also clean it in a solution I purchased from Sally's occasionally.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I clean my TT by rinsing after EVERY use and using the end of a rat tail comb to lift all the hairs out.

I also clean it in a solution I purchased from Sally's occasionally.

I didn't know their was cleaning solution for it, but I use my rat tail comb too to get what little hair is in there :yep:.

prettyinpurple

Ahh see I don't have any rat tail combs. I only comb to detangle so all my combs are wide toothed ones.

Actually I may try a bootleg idea -- using wooden cuticle sticks. I have a ton of those around hmm....

Honi

There is no board.
I just received another email response from the TT rep. I asked her about the ends of the brush after a member posted about her bristles being slightly rounded.

She said that the ends are slightly rounded and will wear and become softer depending on use. Mine are more blunt as if the bristles were cut straight across. What do you ladies see with your TT? I have to look at my other one to see what they look like but my purple one has blunt ends.

She also said that the sound that we hear when using it is amplification because the TT has a hollow body, like a guitar. It makes the brushing sound really loud and harsher than it is. If you were to separate the teeth from the body then brush, you would hardly hear a sound.

Last edited:

virtuenow

You would get purple, it matches your name! I use a hair pin or hair duck tail clip to get all the hair out the tt, and then a tooth brush in sudsy water to clean. I really enjoy cleaning it n making it shinyy n new again!

I bought quite a few of them- including a flower pot- and examined each, the bristles are all rounded

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

prettyinpurple

^^Yea I love purple. LOL.

Using a toothbrush and a hair clip is an excellent idea.

The sound it makes it terrible. But it makes that sound when you rub it on any surface (try it on your arm) so I know it's not ripping hair that I'm hearing.

~~HoneyComb~~

I have the purple, used it for detangling this morning.

My hair hadn't been detangled in almost 2 weeks and I lost very little hair :yep:

Honi

There is no board.
I bought quite a few of them- including a flower pot- and examined each, the bristles are all rounded

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

That’s interesting. She said the compact styler has slightly rounded ends and the original has flatter ends. But I’m guessing that most of us purchased the original. I need to get my hands on a compact styler to compare. Where did you get the flower pot?

twatombl

Wow, I worked for Sally's in college and never thought to try the Tangle Teaser, as many problems I've had with detangling I will be sure to add this to my list, my current wide tooth comb is doing a good job but I do feel it snags my hair a bit too much. This is great to know there are so many ladies reporting minimal hair loss.

FindingMe

it's still working well for me and my daughter-:yep:

to chime in on earlier questions:

- Still using in shower with conditioner as preferred method. My parched, coarse hair can't take dry detangling with the TT. DD's fine hair prefers dry with some sort of oil or conditioning product on ends to detangle.

-I use a rat tail comb and actually comb through the TT under running water to clean/remove hair

-My bristles appear rounded and I can't feel a seam on them

-I haven't experienced any additional splits (never had an issue with SSKs) since using and have been looking really hard on DD, bc her hair is more fine than mine and can't withstand as much manipulation​

empressri

Wow, I worked for Sally's in college and never thought to try the Tangle Teaser, as many problems I've had with detangling I will be sure to add this to my list, my current wide tooth comb is doing a good job but I do feel it snags my hair a bit too much. This is great to know there are so many ladies reporting minimal hair loss.

well they didnt have it till a few months ago so dont worry, it was only available in the UK up until then :yep:

sweetlaughter

I bought it and tried it last month. It ripped out my hair way to easily (my hair was wet with condish and finger detangled and sectioned already). I had way more hair breaking off with it than I do when I detangle with a wide tooth comb. The TT has been on the shelf ever since. Prolly in the trash when I get around to spring cleaning.

virtuenow

That’s interesting. She said the compact styler has slightly rounded ends and the original has flatter ends. But I’m guessing that most of us purchased the original. I need to get my hands on a compact styler to compare. Where did you get the flower pot?

Amazon.com...I also want the compact styler and you can get it there too. I examined the bristles again and I guess they are rounded square ends..so someone may call them blunt--I really (or someone else) need to do a zoom pic of the bristles.

chelseatiara

I bought it and tried it last month. It ripped out my hair way to easily (my hair was wet with condish and finger detangled and sectioned already). I had way more hair breaking off with it than I do when I detangle with a wide tooth comb. The TT has been on the shelf ever since. Prolly in the trash when I get around to spring cleaning.

lizelies you should send it to me!! i'll pay the shipping!:grin:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Amazon.com...I also want the compact styler and you can get it there too. I examined the bristles again and I guess they are rounded square ends..so someone may call them blunt--I really (or someone else) need to do a zoom pic of the bristles.

i said the same... i wish Nonie:grin: or someone could zoom in on it with one of those expensive arse cameras:look:

i check the mom's it has flattened and rounded ends... I see how curlynikki started experiencing splits so fast

we have quite a few:ohwell: but opened this brush just last month
and scratching my scalp and detangling roughly 3-5 times total has the bristles wearing out already:yep:

nice tool, short life

Diva_Esq

I bought one the other day...so far, my in shower detangling w/ conditioner has been amazing! It distributes product evenly to all strands & melts my tangles with ease & I didn't lose any hair. Much less than the Denman, which I use for styling now only. I'll keep watching 4 splits, although I suspect I already have some b/c I am close to my trim date.

Nonie

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT :lol: if you bring yours over, I will be happy to take a pic, otherwise I do not have any plans of buying this thing.

I am still of the mind set that a single row of teeth (aka a comb) is safer and better than staggered teeth in many rows regardless of what fancy name you give the tool. To me using a brush to remove tangles is like giving a blind man a pair of scissors and asking then to trim your hair and shape it. The brush doesn't stop to gentle undo a tangle when it finds it but rips right through it--perhaps doing that to a few knots at a time. And then we wonder why we get splits. :nono:

Before I started using fingers to "comb" my hair, I'd use a comb and if I hit a tangle, I'd use the end tooth and slowly work my way through the tangle carefully. Sometimes I'd get frustrated and rip through it, but that wasn't before first trying to undo it carefully--which I succeeded at most times. That to me is how to deal with tangles not rip through them blindly using a brush by any name.

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

:grin:
[USER=1333 said:
Nonie[/USER] ;13056703]@tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT :lol: if you bring yours over, I will be happy to take a pic, otherwise I do not have any plans of buying this thing.

I am still of the mind set that a single row of teeth (aka a comb) is safer and better than staggered teeth in many rows regardless of what fancy name you give the tool. To me using a brush to remove tangles is like giving a blind man a pair of scissors and asking then to trim your hair and shape it. The brush doesn't stop to gentle undo a tangle when it finds it but rips right through it--perhaps doing that to a few knots at a time. And then we wonder why we get splits. :nono:

Before I started using fingers to "comb" my hair, I'd use a comb and if I hit a tangle, I'd use the end tooth and slowly work my way through the tangle carefully. Sometimes I'd get frustrated and rip through it, but that wasn't before first trying to undo it carefully--which I succeeded at most times. That to me is how to deal with tangles not rip through them blindly using a brush by any name.
If it were anybody else:look: i'd definitely send you one:grin:
but u know i luvs my nonie-bear and wouldn't exactly do that to your hair:nono::lachen::lachen:
i guess KTube was right... fingers best b/c this thing is a dream for detangling, however it apparently gave curlynikki a little edward scissor hand action and I notice after 1 month only the bristles are flat and definitely no longer seamless ....some are still in decent shape however

but i'll a little put off by these now... i may get my sister to snap a pic with her fancy dancy camera:yawn: