The Best and Worst Hair Advice...

GoodGirlGoneGreat

Ladies,

For years I've searched for different methods that would yield strong, healthy hair. Sites such as this one have allowed me to experiment with different hairstyles, products, etc. Through trial-and-error, I've come to realize everything that works well for others may not necessarily be the bets for my hair.

With that being said, I'm curious to know the best and worst hair advice you've received thus far. Best, of course, meaning the methods that have worked [wonders] for your hair. And worst--the things that your hair can certainly live without.

Mine are…

BEST:
- Homemade Hair Products
- Air Drying
- Co-Washing - I cannot stress how much my hair has grown as a result of this.
- Baggying <---------- SAVED MY ENDS!!
- Sleeping in satin bonnets/scarves & pillowcases
- EVOO (A definite hair saver. I add it to everything…shampoo, conditioner--deep conditioner, leave in conditioner)
- Stretching

WORST:
- Heat - I didn’t realize how damaged my hair was from the heat until I eliminated it from my regimen…
- Self-Trimming - A talent that I cannot master; props to those who can do it successfully.
- Garnier Fructis & Pantene Pro-V - ugh, no!
- Biotin

lea86111

BEST ADVICE: moisturize
do protein treatments
WORSE ADVICE:
relax from root to tip EVERYtime you relax and if it still doesn't take (my hair is quite resistant and it reverts back) it's ok to redo it the next day (highschool)

Imani

best
-water based moisturizers and sealing with oil
-only using wide tooth combs and fingers to manipulate hair
-detangling starting from ends first
-stretching relaxers
-not relaxing bone straight and using mild relaxers
-cross wrapping

worst (for my hair)
-aggressive protein conditioners
-co washing
-baggying
-air drying

Kindheart

worst advice:
Grease your scalp
'Dont wash your hair more than once a month,the dirt on your scalp will promote growth.'
Dont do anything to your hair .
Brush your hair 100 times it will make it shiny .:(
Relaxers are good cuz the straighter the strand the easier is for scalp oils to reach the ends .
Weaves will make your hair longer (they didnt mention about breakage)
BB SuperGrow is good for your hair "should be applied 2ce a day on the scalp' mind you the friend who suggested this has really greasy and stiff hair .

Best advice:
Keep your hair tucked away .
Moisturize daily
Deep Condition once a week
Dont overdo protein treatments
Use natural oils on scalp if needed.
Dont use Mineral Oil it will only coat your hair and skin.It will clog your scalp if applied on it.
Opt for a balance between protein and Moisture .
Dont Cowash daily you wouldnt wash your hair daily ,since cowashes have cleansing properties you shouldnt overdo it . (i learned that when i ve notice shedding and dryness)
Porosity happens when you dont seal moisture in with a water repellent product such as oils.

lesedi

All is well with me
Best advice

-Fequent washing
-detangling with wide tooth combs
-weekly deep conditioning
-heat avoidance

Worst advice (for my hair)

-Wash and goes without detangling
-mixing oils and conditioners with relaxer (hair underprocessed...which forced me to do numerous correctives, effectively increasing the amount of time i spent with harsh chemicals in my hair)
-i was once told to 'wash my hair the night before a relaxer so that the hair would take the relaxer better' :nono: MY SCALP BURNT LIKE HAYL

Last edited: