The Dumbest D!#n Hair Advice You've Ever Heard (given or received)

kblc06

But you know we would all buy it!! I can just see it now "The $perm 09 Challenge" LMAO I'd use it as a leave-in over my MegaTek.

Girl please don't suggest this :lachen:, I don't know if you were here then but there was thread on some dominican whale sperm/ sperm whale (we haven't quite figured it out) conditioner that was hilarious!

kblc06

Buy it!?!? Why, girl?

Every woman here knows just how easy that ish is to get hold of. :lol:

Girl, some this "conditioner" ain't safe no mo...all expired and infested with viruses and such...I even knew a girl who got a fungal scalp infection and lice :nono:

likewtr4chklit

AND THIS IS WHY I DO MY OWN DAMN HAIR!! Folks is crazy, don't wash it, burn it instead, don't use conditioner b/c its for white folks?? GREASE YOUR SCALP TO CONDITION? Oh my my my, that's why most of our friends aint got no hair!!

likewtr4chklit

Girl please don't suggest this :lachen:, I don't know if you were here then but there was thread on some dominican whale sperm/ sperm whale (we haven't quite figured it out) conditioner that was hilarious!

LOL some people would put dog crap in their hair if they thought it would make it grow!

Evolving78

you can't wash starter locs
you can tell when it's time to wash out the relaxer when your scalp starts burning and to spray some oil to stop the burning sensation
dirty hair grows

yuriko

To be honest, at a point I did have much longer hair when I did not wash it too often. I was a few inches longer than APL, I washed once a month sometimes would go two-3 months without washing. Yes yes I did. My hair was very healthy because I kept it very well moisturized. However my hair did not smell very good, I always prevented men from getting all up in my hair, coz I was ashamed of the smell. You can grow long dirty hair, yes you can. But its not very hygienic, the only reason that I cowash now is because I dont want smelly hair, I don't want itchy scalp, I dont want that gunky greasy build up on the scalp and the hair.

yuriko

My favorite BS advice were

You must comb relaxer through to the tip.
Braids need to be really tight
Relaxer need to be done every 3 weeks
when you detangle, make sure you use a rat tail comb

Writer100

If I brushed my natural hair 100x a night it would shine like the morning light. :nuts: I did this awhile and all I got was a greasy brush because black people had to grease their scapes too. My arm almost fell off and I never got any shine. My hair was a greasy, nappy mess. Then I stopped everything for years and had no hair. Then I was turned on to LHCF and I say a prayer for that girl everyday.

RecipeBABY

Check me out.. i had a friend that would do some of the most dumb ish ever.. and when i would try to tell her its a bad deal she would say girl my hair is very thick it can take anything i do to it.. (she now sports a super short blonde fade from all the years damage)

now let me tell you what i witness.. first she relaxed it with super... and hour later she dyed it red... then 2 1/2 later she got her hair french braided so tight that it made me dam near throw up.. i mean it was so tight her edges were pulling and the scalp had that lumping in the middle... her hair was cute and fresh when it was done.. BUT THE DAMAGE WAS out of this world.. after she took her frech braids out that she let sit for 3 wks.( the fuzzy, edges pulled up with the white buds on the hairline) it was super dry, damaged, and shorter then it was before.

then she dyed it back black and frech baided it again.. i think ima be sick just thinking about it again.. til this day she has NO HAIR.. like its 1/4 inch long.. no lie.. true story

JessCNU

Darkskin girls can't have long hair unless its weave:rolleyes:

grease your scalp with african pride everyday.... the thick stinky herb kind

MoistureMax and Pink oil are growth aids... :lachen:

twilight80

It had been embedded in my head from my grandma and mother (the usual) Black people can't wash their hair too often because it will strip it.
If I don't grease my hair my scalp will dry out and my hair will fall out.

I thought these were true until I found this site and saw all the beautiful people of color with long hair doing the things that I was told not to do.

Co-washing everyday is the key thing that started my hair growing again!

Kneechay

I'm from Nigeria, so there were a few I heard,

1.) American weather makes your hair grow faster (we had tropical, warm weather in Nigeria)
(I had the longest, natural MBL hair when I came to the States, which by my college graduation in America, was neck length without any major cuts.)

2.) That I had to relax my hair now that I'm in the US because the kids will think I was ugly otherwise :lachen::nono: (I knew some peers who had natural hair in school)

3) Mane n Tail Shampoo and Conditioners made your hair grow long (i see them at grocery stores now for cheap)

4.) You'll need a trim every six weeks or your hair won't grow.

5.) Brushing your hair in the shower with one of those "white girl' brushes detangled it the best.

yuriko

Nichi, am Nigerian too, and funny I really believed that American weather made your hair grow long because thats was I was told when I moved here. I had almost BSL when I moved here and withing a year I was SL, and then was ear length. funny stuff

Sequoia

I'm from Nigeria, so there were a few I heard,

1.) American weather makes your hair grow faster (we had tropical, warm weather in Nigeria)
(I had the longest, natural MBL hair when I came to the States, which by my college graduation in America, was neck length without any major cuts.)

Nichi, am Nigerian too, and funny I really believed that American weather made your hair grow long because thats was I was told when I moved here. I had almost BSL when I moved here and withing a year I was SL, and then was ear length. funny stuff

I heard it was the water that made the hair grow. :lol:

babyleaf

I am laughing so hard I can barely type!!!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I love when people with no hair give me advice on what to do with mine....It is always comical!!!!

Extremus

Red onions are high in sulfur. So maybe that's what did it.
Wow really? I had no idea. Well she's almost waist length now so she MIGHT be telling the truth. Regardless I ain't doing it. Heck I won't even EAT onions, let alone put it on my hair! :grin:

hmmmm :scratchch

These posts are HILARIOUS!!

I must admit, I have given and agreed with ridiculous hair advice/statements.

I'm guilty of using that routine! :nono: Oh the shame!! lol
When girls had long, healthy hair I thought they must have had some gene that protected them from suffering the damage of relaxers! Something must have made it easier for them to retain length. Now I know better!

Plus, my mother and I used to think that tight cornrows would encourage the hair to grow. Not because braids were protective, but because the pulling of the hair follicle would force the hair to grow faster. :perplexed

me 2 :perplexed

To be honest, at a point I did have much longer hair when I did not wash it too often. I was a few inches longer than APL, I washed once a month sometimes would go two-3 months without washing. Yes yes I did. My hair was very healthy because I kept it very well moisturized. However my hair did not smell very good, I always prevented men from getting all up in my hair, coz I was ashamed of the smell. You can grow long dirty hair, yes you can. But its not very hygienic, the only reason that I cowash now is because I dont want smelly hair, I don't want itchy scalp, I dont want that gunky greasy build up on the scalp and the hair.

this was me.

Ganjababy

When I recently told someone that I co-washed 2-4 times per week they told me black people should not wash their hair often. She washes her hair once every 4-6 weeks when she changes her weave. This woman complained that she is going bald.........I wonder why?

justsimply

Fire.When braids were installed, I was told (by several folks :mob:) to burn the frizzies(excess) off the braids, this will make them look neat and "seal" the ends. I've also witnessed this being done.

:burning:My response has always been....WTF!
:pullhair:"My" hair is part of the frizzies and I damn well know that burning is not good for my hair! :couchfire:

I also avoid cutting the frizzies off my finsished braids. (it's "my" hair)

I thought I was the only one that this was just crazy. And just why would I be cutting my hair while in braids all willy-nilly. If I want a hair cut I'll get one done right. "NEAT"??? give me a break.

justsimply

The worst advice ever given to me personally in hindsight was to have a touchup every 6-8 weeks.

The best advice for me was to keep it simple...keep scalp/hair clean, hair moisturized and minimal manipulation.

The worst thing I've seen people do is to try EVERY thing that works for someone else without understanding the "why/how" of it...thinking it's the product that makes the hair grow instead of what the product provides that the person was missing (moisture, scalp stimulation, etc)