The Dumbest D!#n Hair Advice You've Ever Heard (given or received)

siick

Southern Belle said:
You gotta leave the relaxer in until it starts burning so bad you can't take it anymore, because that'll be a good perm! :lachen:

Even beauticians be like "is it burning yet? No? Well let me know when it starts to burn so we can wash it out." :lol:

Ah, the good ole days.... :lol:

I rly wonder if that is something they teach in beauty school :-/

Khaiya

washing too often or airdrying relaxed hair will make the hair disintegrate, rot and fall of your head. MUST use heat to dry it after washing.

Oh yeah, and (told to me by a stylist) there's no need to DC if my hair isn't breaking. Unless it's breaking, its fine so just leave it alone.

Last edited:

Evolving78

You gotta leave the relaxer in until it starts burning so bad you can't take it anymore, because that'll be a good perm! :lachen:

Even beauticians be like "is it burning yet? No? Well let me know when it starts to burn so we can wash it out." :lol:

Southern Belle
no girl! when they start spraying oil sheen on your scalp to make it stop burning so they can continue the smoothing process.

SmileyNY

That hair has to be perfectly even to be considered healthy. People cut off a lot of healthy hair & stunt their overall hair growth keeping up with this fallacy. A cousin of mine gets her ends trimmed every month. She's never going to see any growth.

I only get 1 hair cut per year. In the mean time, I S&D. My ends are thick & healthy and I retain most of my hair growth. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

LilBrownied said:
...my mother and I used to think that tight cornrows would encourage the hair to grow. Not because braids were protective, but because the pulling of the hair follicle would force the hair to grow faster. :perplexed

Had to come out of lurkdom and raise my hand to cosign here. Too frigging crazy, right? Had to stop myself when I was braiding my baby's hair the other day and "remember" that **** isn't true. #prayforme LOL!

Last edited:
... And when I told my stylist that I was considering going natural, he told me that "Some people just need heat and chemicals." WTF?!?

It later occurred to me that I had a standing biweekly appointment with him, so he was pissed about losing $$. But if he'd been more supportive, I'd have kept going to him for DCs, trims, etc. Oh well!

sckri23

Cutting your hair short will make it grow FASTER......

Honey my sisters hair was a nice healthy heart shaped waist length, my aunt was supposed to clip her ends but she took her to ear length it's been 5 years and she's only at shoulder length that's the biggest b.s. I ever heard and keep hearing

*~SCKRI23~* via LHCF app

diadall

You can still get the kinky curly look after a relaxer.

Someone said that to me. She claimed she could wear her hair like mine but when I saw it wet it was bone straight.

cherrynicole

diadall said:
You can still get the kinky curly look after a relaxer.

Someone said that to me. She claimed she could wear her hair like mine but when I saw it wet it was bone straight.

Im relaxed and my wash and gos come out looking like wet and wavy weave. I sometimes add tracks for length. All it takes is a little scrunching!

KimPossibli

Supergirl
my old hairdresser

are you sure you want to go natural..

you work with all those europeans and you already have a big nose and lips...

sigh lol he was a messs...

diadall

cherrynicole said:
Im relaxed and my wash and gos come out looking like wet and wavy weave. I sometimes add tracks for length. All it takes is a little scrunching!

I get that but her relaxed hair won't look like my 3c hair. If it did I would wonder about her hair stylist.

diadall

Itgirl said:
my old hairdresser

are you sure you want to go natural..

you work with all those europeans and you already have a big nose and lips...

sigh lol he was a messs...

I would look at her like is you crazy?

H0tPinkButtafly

My cousin told me this hairdresser who did her hair told her "gel and spritz make your hair grow". I wish I was there when she said that. I would have loved to hear her logic behind that one lol.

Keen

I lie to my stylist and tell her my relaxer burns so she can rinse it out when I think it is time. She complains that my sister's and my hair never relax straight. little does she know we bath the relaxed hair in oil because we don't want bone straight hair. Despite all that I like her. She is gentle with hair and she listen.

sckri23

Contradicting advice:

1. too much oil will clog your pores
2. You can't wash your hair every week

-Well how am I supposed to unclog my pores????

-pause............

-Exactly lol

*~SCKRI23~* via LHCF app

claud-uk

I got a GREAT one! Last time I went to the hair salon (funnily enough), I asked her what my hair type was. She bent over, looked, said "ummm..." and then said "Medium". Ain't been back since!

ellyndee

Long ago, told someone that black hair scalp doesn't need grease...dead! Ignorant! My hair grew from my minimal care but never got longer than shoulders...duh, now I know why.

-PYT

ellyndee said:
Long ago, told someone that black hair scalp doesn't need grease...dead! Ignorant! My hair grew from my minimal care but never got longer than shoulders...duh, now I know why.

ellyndee So wait...the dumb advice was to use grease or not to? :look:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
My Mom, just today, told me that I should cut off 2" of healthy hair....so that my hair could grow. This was, of course, after I took of my satin cap and she exclaimed how long my hair was getting (it's just past SL mind you). Smh...