the new texlaxed support thread

L.Brown1114

I thought it would be great to start a new support thread sense the old one is pretty old and doesnt really get much posting anymore. It would be great if we could talk about products that help with frizz and poofyness (i would LOVE to know that one) and what techniques work and so on! idk how many people are texlaxed anymore but even if theres five people we should band together against friziness :spinning: :rolleyes:

{the original}
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=131009&highlight=texlaxed

here are some helpful theads:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=485606&highlight=texlaxed
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=277483&highlight=texlaxed
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=479574&highlight=texlaxed

Last edited:

prospurr4

Welcome to texlaxing...yes, it is the best of both worlds. :yep:

Most of the time, I wear my hair up, so it doesn't get a chance to be frizzy or poofy. Even when I do wear it down, it's in a twistout or spiral set, so a little frizz, poofyness or even shrinkage doesn't bother me.

I wish you success with your new texlaxed hair!

L.Brown1114

Welcome to texlaxing...yes, it is the best of both worlds. :yep:

Most of the time, I wear my hair up, so it doesn't get a chance to be frizzy or poofy. Even when I do wear it down, it's in a twistout or spiral set, so a little frizz, poofyness or even shrinkage doesn't bother me.

I wish you success with your new texlaxed hair!

thank you! my hairs too short to really wear up:perplexed
do you have any tips for successful non poofy wash and go's??

alive

best of both worlds huh?
hmmmm prospur's post is really tempting me to look into texlaxing. Thanks for starting this thread--i think it would be very useful for a lot of on the fence folks like me

L.Brown1114

best of both worlds huh?
hmmmm prospur's post is really tempting me to look into texlaxing. Thanks for starting this thread--i think it would be very useful for a lot of on the fence folks like me

I have major frizz issues since I workout everyday. Thanks for updating the support thread!

yeah no problem, now that i'm texlaxed i need as much info as i can get and i figured why not start a new support thread :yawn:

I'm considering texlaxing during my next relaxer and i currently have a box of ORS at home. I usually do my relaxers myself and it'll be great to know if there's anyone that adds oil or conditioner to their relaxer applications and leaves it in for about 15-20 minutes...i'm trying to figure out the quantity others are using as my hair is fine 4a/b (i think)

L.Brown1114

I'm considering texlaxing during my next relaxer and i currently have a box of ORS at home. I usually do my relaxers myself and it'll be great to know if there's anyone that adds oil or conditioner to their relaxer applications and leaves it in for about 15-20 minutes...i'm trying to figure out the quantity others are using as my hair is fine 4a/b (i think)

idk off hand which ladies on here self texlax so heres a youtube vid of a lady im subscribed to who shows you how http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNR9dFqrT5c. i'm sure theres others but i always go with the one with the longest hair

prospurr4

thank you! my hairs too short to really wear up:perplexed
do you have any tips for successful non poofy wash and go's??

You're welcome...and sorry, I have never worn a wash and go, so no tips to pass along. My 4b hair does not "wash and go" well. :nono:

Hersheygurl

best of both worlds huh?

(Just in case she didn't know) prospurr is the inspiration for me deciding to texlax. Thanks prospurr!

It really is the best of both worlds for me too. Love the thickness I have now! I have always stretched relaxers even when I was bone straight, but the fight to blend the new growth with the super straight hair was no fun.

Now that I'm texlaxed I can stretch even longer and the texture is more uniform throughout the length of my hair. I don't usually add anything to my relaxer. I just don't leave it on but a hot second ( without smoothing) and rinse it right back out.

If I want ( which I hardly ever do), I can get it to look " bone straight" with my Sedu, but usually do a WNG worn up somehow or a bun.

To help minimize frizz if I'm wearing a WNG down, I usually leave regular ( not leave-in) conditioner in my hair without totally rinsing it out.

L.Brown1114

(Just in case she didn't know) prospurr is the inspiration for me deciding to texlax. Thanks prospurr!

It really is the best of both worlds for me too. Love the thickness I have now! I have always stretched relaxers even when I was bone straight, but the fight to blend the new growth with the super straight hair was no fun.

Now that I'm texlaxed I can stretch even longer and the texture is more uniform throughout the length of my hair. I don't usually add anything to my relaxer. I just don't leave it on but a hot second ( without smoothing) and rinse it right back out.

If I want ( which I hardly ever do), I can get it to look " bone straight" with my Sedu, but usually do a WNG worn up somehow or a bun.

To help minimize frizz if I'm wearing a WNG down, I usually leave regular ( not leave-in) conditioner in my hair without totally rinsing it out.

great idea! i was afraid to do this because i thought that leaving regular conditioner in your hair wasnt healthy for it :ohwell:
hows this working for u? have u seen more shedding or anything??

Hersheygurl

great idea! i was afraid to do this because i thought that leaving regular conditioner in your hair wasnt healthy for it :ohwell:

Hi, L. Brown,

I thought it wasn't healthy either at first, but my hair is thriving since doing this and I usually clarify 2-3 X a month to avoid build-up anyways. I make sure not to leave any conditioner on or too near my scalp.

hows this working for u? have u seen more shedding or anything??

It's been working quite well and my WNG'S are softer and the curls/waves seem to be more defined if wearing my hair down. You may have to experiment with different conditioners to find the right fit , but I like Suave coconut since it doesn't make my hair dull like some of the others. Initially, I had some shedding, but I think it was due to overuse of protein. Tea rinses have nipped the shedding in th bud though.

Here is a thread that has both sides of using a regular conditioner as a leave-in.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=481478&highlight=using+regular+conditioner+leave

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=456462&highlight=using+regular+conditioner+leave

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=380074&highlight=using+regular+conditioner+leave

Last edited:

DarkAngell

Any advice not yet mentioned about detangling??? I'm having a huge problem!!!!!

My hair is almost WL. I use a wide tooth comb, sometimes followed by a denman, I also seperate into sections. I only cowash & use a really thick conditoner, usually tresemme curl condition(forgot the name),suave humectant, or aussie moist. Up until now this has worked great but now i spend about 45 minutes in the shower detangling and there's just never any point when i can get the comb all the way through.

Majestye

I just started texlaxing again.. Properly this time. I add 1/4 cup of EVOO to the relaxer, and made my own hair protector for my previously relaxed ends and texlaxed middle. For this I used cheapy conditioner Suave and added some honey to it. Coated my hair and ends (not the new growth) with an applicator brush. Then applied the mild relaxer. Took about 18-20 mins to apply to my hair (which was sectioned into 4 parts). Then rinsed, protein conditioned, neutralized, DC, etc...

I love my results. I stretched for about 19 weeks but plan to go between 12-16. This will give me wiggle room during processing, but allow me to be able to mitgate breakage.

I'm wearing a weave now, but for straight edges w/o heat, I flat iron once and use ORS Edge Control for upkeep. Works great!

hth!

Last edited:

Hersheygurl

My hair is almost WL. I use a wide tooth comb, sometimes followed by a denman, I also seperate into sections. I only cowash & use a really thick conditoner, usually tresemme curl condition(forgot the name),suave humectant, or aussie moist. Up until now this has worked great but now i spend about 45 minutes in the shower detangling and there's just never any point when i can get the comb all the way through.

Thank you for asking the same question I wanted to, DarkAngel. Your hair is gorgeous!

I do the same things as you, but I try to detangle some by misting sections with home-made mix or M&T detangler before showering. Have you tried pre-pooing with oils? I definitely notice my hair tangles more now that I'm texlaxed than it did when I was bone straight.

I wash my DD's hair in 4 braids, and it really helps with tangles, but haven't tried it much with mine.

fatimablush

I just texlaxed...i bc'dmy own hair over a week ago and my brother touched it up...my hair was cute! but......I was bored so i texlaxed..:lachen:

I'm glad there is a support thread..i was too lazy to dig around...:lachen:

SmilingElephant

I'm texlaxed and i'm noticing now that i have to detangle my hair in 4-6 sections either under the shower drenched in conditioner or after towel drying with a leave in conditioner in....and i sit down and take my time to get the mattes and tangles out....with both a wide tooth comb and my fingers.:yep:

L.Brown1114

this is a hard question, im guessing you have more texture like i do. i havnt detangled yet but when i wash my hair with pantene nature fusion (this conditioner makes my hair feel like butter!!) my hair is VERY smooth and i can easily run my fingers through it but when it dries up thats another story :nono:. i would try prepooing with oil this helped a lot with detangling when i was natural so it will def. help now that im texlaxed. i saturate my hair with olive oil on dry hair and sat underneath a steamer and afterwards i was virtually tangle free :yep:

mstk

I use Mizani Butter Blends for fine hair, and add 3 spoons (plastic spoons, likely teaspoon sized) of either olive oil or sweet almond oil (depending on what I have on hand). Last time I left it on for 15 minutes from application to rinsing, then applied Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor for 2 minutes before rinsing again and neutralizing.

I have fine, 4b hair as well. I think that was a little too long for my hair. It's still texlaxed, but I would like it to have a bit more texture. HTH.

L.Brown1114

It's been working quite well and my WNG'S are softer and the curls/waves seem to be more defined if wearing my hair down. You may have to experiment with different conditioners to find the right fit , but I like Suave coconut since it doesn't make my hair dull like some of the others. Initially, I had some shedding, but I think it was due to overuse of protein. Tea rinses have nipped the shedding in th bud though.

Here is a thread that has both sides of using a regular conditioner as a leave-in.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=481478&highlight=using+regular+conditioner+leave

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=456462&highlight=using+regular+conditioner+leave

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=380074&highlight=using+regular+conditioner+leave

thanks!! i finally took a look @ these and i decided to try keeping conditioner in my hair and just looking out for buildup! i think im gonna try my pantene nature fusion first but idk if that particular line has cones or not :perplexed

Majestye

I use Mizani Butter Blends for fine hair, and add 3 spoons (plastic spoons, likely teaspoon sized) of either olive oil or sweet almond oil (depending on what I have on hand)...QUOTE]

I use Mizani Butter Blends for fine/color treated hair as well. The lye version. I've read on the boards that it's specifically formulated (BB line) to process to 75 or 80% straightness. My hairdresser's daughter had been using the regular strength trying to get hair straight, until I told her about the formula specifications. She put some mousse in her hair and you'd swear she has a texturizer with all the curls and waves!

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
Thanks for starting this thread :yep:. I am texturized and have been texturizing/texlaxing for 4 years but recently did the BC to start again because of too many issues and damaged hair. I will be cosigning to this thread as I am not sure if I will grow my hair out naturally or if I will stick to texturizing. I love wearing my hair in a curky WNG, yet like having the flexibility of having straight hair. This time instead of going back to a salon 3 hours away, I may learn how to do it myself with help from this board. I am still deciding what to do next.

L.Brown1114

Thanks for starting this thread :yep:. I am texturized and have been texturizing/texlaxing for 4 years but recently did the BC to start again because of too many issues and damaged hair. I will be cosigning to this thread as I am not sure if I will grow my hair out naturally or if I will stick to texturizing. I love wearing my hair in a curky WNG, yet like having the flexibility of having straight hair. This time instead of going back to a salon 3 hours away, I may learn how to do it myself with help from this board. I am still deciding what to do next.

your welcome! i hope this thread becomes a place where u can get the info u need plus share trial and errors and all that jazz! do u have any pics of wet hair when u were texlaxed :lick:

anhdds2011

Hiii!!:grin: I've been a new "stalker" on the threads for a while, only inputting here and there, soaking up all sorts of info, but this seems like the perfect thread for me to finally commit to learning and growing from you wonderful ladies.

A bit about my hair... I was natural for 3 years up until last april when I got bored and relaxed (mind you the reason I went natural was because I had a HORRIBLE relaxer which took out much of my hair:wallbash:) Anywho I happened to be in my local BSS and they had a sale on the box perm my mom uses, so I bought it and applied it, but beingafraid of breakage I took it right out as soon as all hair had relaxer on it, thus... MY FIRST TEXLAXER!

Anywho, lots of sealing and mosture and my favorite Ceramides product ever have my hair blendng quite nicely with a festve curly wig i got.

WNGs dont really work for me tho because the frizz is like WHOA:blush:.

Pretty sure thats enough rambling, but Im excited about this thread

L.Brown1114

Hiii!!:grin: I've been a new "stalker" on the threads for a while, only inputting here and there, soaking up all sorts of info, but this seems like the perfect thread for me to finally commit to learning and growing from you wonderful ladies.

A bit about my hair... I was natural for 3 years up until last april when I got bored and relaxed (mind you the reason I went natural was because I had a HORRIBLE relaxer which took out much of my hair:wallbash:) Anywho I happened to be in my local BSS and they had a sale on the box perm my mom uses, so I bought it and applied it, but beingafraid of breakage I took it right out as soon as all hair had relaxer on it, thus... MY FIRST TEXLAXER!

Anywho, lots of sealing and mosture and my favorite Ceramides product ever have my hair blendng quite nicely with a festve curly wig i got.

WNGs dont really work for me tho because the frizz is like WHOA:blush:.

Pretty sure thats enough rambling, but Im excited about this thread

good i hope you get all the info you need :grin:

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
This is right on time L. Brown!
I need advice on my touch up, please. Ok so last time I royally screwed up! I put all my hair into little tiny ponytails pre sectioned, thinking it would be faster. I put all the relaxers on and then panicked and took out all the ponies and washed out the relaxer I was freaking out so I thought it had been hours but it was really only about 4 minutes. I looks like I never did anything but the texture feels different than the hair at my roots. I never got any breakage but I think I still have 3 textures(New growth, touched up hair that is slightly smoother but looks like new growth and texlaxed). I haven't tried to fix because I have to do a touch up sometime in the second week of September (its apart of my master plan). So my question is should I treat all but the texlaxed perfect hair as new growth? Just sort of pretend like my failure never happened and retouch everything? What do I do? HELP HELP EELP

This is right on time L. Brown!
I need advice on my touch up, please. Ok so last time I royally screwed up! I put all my hair into little tiny ponytails pre sectioned, thinking it would be faster. I put all the relaxers on and then panicked and took out all the ponies and washed out the relaxer I was freaking out so I thought it had been hours but it was really only about 4 minutes. I looks like I never did anything but the texture feels different than the hair at my roots. I never got any breakage but I think I still have 3 textures(New growth, touched up hair that is slightly smoother but looks like new growth and texlaxed). I haven't tried to fix because I have to do a touch up sometime in the second week of September (its apart of my master plan). So my question is should I treat all but the texlaxed perfect hair as new growth? Just sort of pretend like my failure never happened and retouch everything? What do I do? HELP HELP EELP

I'm no expert but if you're looking to have everything be a close-uniform texture, you might have to pass your relaxer through the section where you last touched up as well. I would say its probably a good idea to cover the area you last touched up with some sort of pre-treatment like you would do for your previously relaxed/texlaxed hair. Then just apply the relaxer to your new growth and a few minutes before you wash it out, you can apply some relaxer to the area you last touched up. That way the relaxer doesn't stay on that section for too long, and there'll be a higher chance of it being more uniform with the rest.

Hope this helps. Hopefully some of the other ladies might chime in as well :)

Emz Forever

Subscribing! I am newly texlaxed....as of last night, lol. I decided to start self-texlaxing instead of bone straight relaxing at the hairdressers to help thicken my fine hair up. I don't have any tips yet for frizz yet, as I am new to this but I will def drop by and post if I come accross anything.

Moodyma'am

Yay great thread! I'm almost one month in to texlaxing after over 4 years of being natural. I loves it!

I NEVER wear y hair straight , I am a strictly WNG girl. I have found that the perfect antidote to poofiness n frizz for me is oil rinsing. I drenched my hair in olive butter (cos I hate the smell of olive oil) and then steamed for 30 mins (but I'm sure an overnight saturation would work as well) then rinse out with conditioner and then leave the same cheapie conditioner in my hair as a leave in.

I serously have no poofiness or frizz to deal with and this will be a perfect winter reggie too cos there is no humectant to suck out my moisture come winter.

Win-Win