The Official 2006 sew in/weave challenge

aprilbiz

I want to join. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but I do not know how to do a full-head sew-in. If anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated.

Right now I'm doing just plain braids without hair added and tucking them under a fall with a headband... it's quite lumpy. I"m going to switch to cornrows.

The products I am using are:

Creme of Nature Detangling Shampoo - once per week
Emergencee - for once per month protein treatments
Aphoghee Balance Moisturizer conditioner
Infusium23 leave-in treatment
Long Aid Activator Gel - best activator I've used! very moisturizing
Foam wrap lotion

glamazon386

Check out the weaves/extensions forum over at blackhairmedia.com. If you search, a lot of members have how to's with pictures in their fotkis and in old posts. HTH...

bluediamond0829

well im getting ready to get my sewin redone on Saturday..i cant wait its really is time...7 weeks of wearing my sew in weave...and 9 weeks post relaxer....

Healthb4Length

I took out my braids 2 weeks ago, right now I'm planning on waiting 6 more weeks before I get my touch up and then 3 weeks after the touch up I will put in the weave.

asummertyme

How are all my weaved up girls doin?
i am a month plus into my full head weave and all is well..i plan on leaving it in for another month or so..it needs to be tightened up big time though..my hair has grown sooo much in this month.
wassup with yall..?

glamazon386

I just got my 2nd weave sewn in last week. It's hanging in there. The braids were a little tight around the edges at first but it's okay now. I have some red wavy hair. I think I'm going back black the next go round. Maybe curly. Oh yeah, I started back on my vitamins and have been taking them pretty regularly. I always fall off after a while. They seem like they're working. I was at week 8 having a fit with my hair. It usually doesn't get like that until week 12 or so, so I hope that means I have more new growth than usual. When my hair was wet some pieces in the front grazed my shoulder!! :yay: Shoulder length hear I come! Oh yeah, my eyebrows keep growing back in after I get them waxed within a week or two. I usually get them waxed every once in a while. I don't even know how often. I know I wait longer than a month. Could it be the vitamins? Any one else experience this? HHG Ladies...

remnant

asummertyme said:
How are all my weaved up girls doin?
i am a month plus into my full head weave and all is well..i plan on leaving it in for another month or so..it needs to be tightened up big time though..my hair has grown sooo much in this month.
wassup with yall..?

;) One more week and I will remove my full head sew in (on my head since 6 weeks), then take pic's for you all weave girls ( to see the growth ) by the grace of God!

bluediamond0829

well okay i just got my 2nd weave done...i really am loving the hair i have...i got some highlights in it and its back straight...i was even out running around while it was raining a little with no umbrella and it held up really good...i got it the same way sewed in all over with a bang...i really like this look maybe next time i'll switch it up with a different color...i still have the straight hair..i did relax my hair..but i still have some breakage in areas...and if im not going to start over i have a very very long way to go...but im still thinking about starting over....and going with a short cut maybe taking a break with weaves...and im comfortable with my hairstylist that is doing my weaves doing my short cuts and relaxers....shes really nice...so here i go for maybe another 6 weeks....i think this hair is going to be better than that Evonne..i will never go with that hair again in my life....this time i got Outre...it feels really nice....

BahaGirl

I really want to use mtg but I'm scared it will make my weave oily. I read that some of you guys apply it to the scalp but doesn't it still seep to the weave? Would using a spray bottle make it better?

bluediamond0829

BahaGirl said:
I really want to use mtg but I'm scared it will make my weave oily. I read that some of you guys apply it to the scalp but doesn't it still seep to the weave? Would using a spray bottle make it better?

Girl i tried that and when i wraped my weave up in the morning it came out as a oily mess i had to wash my hair....i think i did it two times the very first weave i had and that one didnt last know more than 4 days(but mostly because i did that with the oil and plus the way the lady did my hair)...and i had to wash it this last time when i did it again but i dont think i used MTG i think it may have been some other kind of oil/grease.....so just be careful..im not heavy handed with it...ive used the grease on the scalp but very sparingly or some mango butter.....

asummertyme

BahaGirl said:

i would not mess with the mtg at all if u have a strait weave, maybe a curly one ..but the strait weave would get too oildy and stiff..:(

XXXtacy

asummertyme said:
i would not mess with the mtg at all if u have a strait weave, maybe a curly one ..but the strait weave would get too oildy and stiff..:(

You are ablsoulutely correct. I have to stop using it because it makes my hair so oily and I really cant tell if its doing the job.

Switching to MSM to increase my growth.

Nita_h

I got my sew-in done yesterday BY A MAN ---everyone else was booked and i was desperate I'm leaving it in for 3 months if possible.

He did it how it wanted to do it and told me to come back monday so he can finish it the way i want it :mad:

He half did my hair so i gave him half the money:ohwell:

WhAT Was I THInking:nono:

It looks okay, but just not what i ask for

XXXtacy

Nita_h said:
I got my sew-in done yesterday BY A MAN ---everyone else was booked and i was desperate I'm leaving it in for 3 months if possible.

He did it how it wanted to do it and told me to come back monday so he can finish it the way i want it :mad:

:eek::eek:
Finding a good weavologist (that's what they're called on another board) can be tricky.

I hope it works out for you the next time.

I try not to give people too many chances with my hair dont want to be bald or damaged.

pretty-girl#1

Hey everybody,

I did my second sew in about a week ago! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my all time favorite sew in and to think I did it myself! I would have never thought I could do my own sew in. I got my mother to braid my hair all going back except I left my fronts, sides and back out for a pony tail if I choose. I took the braids and sewed them down. I put a weave net over the braids and sewed it to the braids. I sewed my tracks to the weave net and kinda like made a wig. My hair looks so natural! I cut some cute layers in my hair and I have gotten so many compliments! Hopefully, I'll leave this weave in until the end of March. It pretty enough! I love this challenge! HHG Everybody!

asummertyme

Nita_h said:

you know some of these stylists need to find a new line of work! ho unproffesional is that! leaving ur haor half done is strait pitiful..girl, i would let him finish it and then find urself a new stylists..that sucks! sorry to hear this happned to you..

Hello Ladies,

I am joining the sewn in weave challenge. I was curious to know if it was possible for me to have some of my hair out so it would look more natural. and the rest sewn in. I was also wondering if there was any special technique or regimin to keep the hair that is left out from breaking off. Thanks

Caramel apple bottom

annieup

Hello everyone,

I am joining the official 2006 sew in challenge. I leave a small portion of my hair out with a part in the middle (see picture) and the rest is cornrolled and sewn in. To answer your question, I use ashea...shea butter pomade on the hair, brush it really good and dab more pomade to get it smooth. Then I tie a black scarf over really tight and put a swimming cap on top of that (ghetto, I know) so my hair can be as flat as possible. When I take this off the next morning, it blends pretty well with the weave. However, i'm trying to figure out another method as another alternative. I'm going to experiment with mouse to see what happens.

glamazon386

Okay so that reddish wavy crap i had in my head pretty much turned to a ball of frizz. I had to take that crap out. Don't buy Outre Body Wave guys!! Well it might have been the color and length but I'll never buy that again. I took it out in less than 3 weeks. I went back to my old tried and true. Sensationnel Goddess Remy French Wave. This is the 3rd time I've reused this hair for a weave.

asummertyme

I still have in the same weave...lol..i am sooo ready to take it out too..
its time.but it still is going strong though..my hair has grown so much! i cant wait to take it out and see the results..but the time i take it out, i will be reweaving with the same style, i love it..

glamazon386

asummertyme said:
I still have in the same weave...lol..i am sooo ready to take it out too..
its time.but it still is going strong though..my hair has grown so much! i cant wait to take it out and see the results..but the time i take it out, i will be reweaving with the same style, i love it..

Really? What kind of hair did you use? I'm about to take this french wave out. It starts to look dry after a few days and I don't wanna keep washing it since its cold out. Well that and I want a fresh new do so I can be cute on my birthday Friday. :lol:

Chanteuse

I'm still going strong too. I made it to 7 1/2 weeks with my first weave but that Urban Beauty Hair was working my last nerve! It was all good for the first week or two but after that it was tangling, shedding and frizzing horribly! This time I decided to try the organic synthetic hair, the one Brandy is endorsing now. I was looking for the Sensationel Pro-10 but all they had was the Zury. The BSS lady said that it was same thing and they are owned by the same people (never knew that)
I've never had a synthetic weave before but I read really good reviews on this hair. Also, I figure there's not point in spending a lot of money on supposedly "better brands" pf weave hair if it's still going to tangle, shed and frizz. I might as well go cheap for that :lol:

I just put it in yesterday and so far it looks good, not overly shiney like typical synthetic hair at all. We'll see how it holds up.

asummertyme

bmoreflyygirl said:
Really? What kind of hair did you use? I'm about to take this french wave out. It starts to look dry after a few days and I don't wanna keep washing it since its cold out. Well that and I want a fresh new do so I can be cute on my birthday Friday. :lol:

I use wet and wavy hair mixed with spanish wavy from Lugo's hair center, this hair lasts 4eva..but my hair has grown over so much ..the weave is sittin on top of my fro..:D

Last edited:

glamazon386

kit-kat said:
Bmoreflygirl...

Which instant weave is that. I loveit!

Thanks Kit Kat! :grin: That's actually a weave in that picture. It's Sensationnel Goddess Remy French Wave. This is the 3rd time I've reused it for a weave. It's held up pretty good. I don't think I'm gonna use it anymore though. It's starting to get a little dry and tangly. Ah well at least I got my money's worth...

glamazon386

asummertyme said:
I use wet and wavy hair mixed with spanish wavy from Lugo's hair center, this hair lasts 4eva..but my hair has grown over so much ..the weave is sittin on top of my fro..:D

LOL yeah I have a fro under here too. When I took that red hair out my cornrows were still intact bc they were only 3 weeks old so I sewed the french wave on top. I think I'm on week 6 or 7 now and it's a jungle under there! :lachen: