The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

LivingDol1

i'm gonna post a pic tomorrow. going to wash and set my hair tonight... and not sure how i'm going to wear it tomorrow. i'll probably saran wrap it to smooth out the curls so the full length can be seen...

yay.

910danielle1987

I do doobies every week where I set the hair and wrap it afterwards, but from some reason, I don't get a lot of body in my hair and I don't have that bump at the ends I normally get with a doobie at a salon and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm using the wrong size rollers. What size rollers would you guys recommend I use? I have collarbone length hair BTW.

leona2025

I will post my pictures tomorrow. My hair should be quite a bit shorter than when I started. I've had to cuts and I still need 1 inch to cut before I can be satisfied with my ends.

The last trim I had before this one resulted in some major split ends for some reason. Every hair had a split and so I had to go get it trimmed again. I was so aiming for WL by my b-day last week and I would have made it. Right now I'm just below BSL I think. I don't know I haven't seen my hair straight since my newest trim.

HollyGolightly1982

First pic 4/26

Second 7/30

LivingDol1

Okay very quickly, my comparison pics....

the first 2 are from 3/21/09. the most recent are from today (8/01/09)

my hair is almost at BSB. don't let the bra strap trick you. the black one is worn lower than the white one... the side layers are been growing out. i think i put too much coconut oil in my hair and i did let it deep condition over night (out of laziness and a time crunch really...) so it's looking a little oily today! hope it doesn't frizz while i'm out!

Attachments

• 3_21_backview.jpg
    3_21_backview.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 3_21_side.jpg
    3_21_side.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 8_1_09_back.jpg
    8_1_09_back.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 8_1_09_side.jpg
    8_1_09_side.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 24

HollyGolightly1982

Okay very quickly, my comparison pics....

the first 2 are from 3/21/09. the most recent are from today (8/01/09)

my hair is almost at BSB. don't let the bra strap trick you. the black one is worn lower than the white one... the side layers are been growing out. i think i put too much coconut oil in my hair and i did let it deep condition over night (out of laziness and a time crunch really...) so it's looking a little oily today! hope it doesn't frizz while i'm out!

Great progress

MAMATO

A quick update. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. My photographer aka husband is not cooperative today :grin: I blowdry my hair but unfortunately I am too lazy to flatiron it so my ends look :spinning:with the humidity and shrinkage of my new growth ... but they are fine in reality, I just got a trim 3 weeks ago. Well, hopefully my pic will show up... take care ladies

Attachments

• hairupdateaug20092.jpg
    hairupdateaug20092.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

LivingDol1

no more updates? there's plenty on the list that haven't who haven't officially dropped out of the challenge...

ceebee3

Hi Ladies,

I'm finally back with my update pics. I am so frustrated. I took a picture back in July and I thought I was finally at APL. However, I took an update photo to post in this thread and my hair looks shorter.

I don't know why. I didn't rollerset in the latest pic, I did a caruso set yesterday and just wrapped the hair last night.

I think I'll rollerset again today and take another picture to see if I notice a difference. See below and let me know.

Starting Pic April 19, 09
July 12

Today

LushLox

Wow, I feel like I've not updated here for like forever!

I'm still rollersetting religiously twice weekly with good results. I'm touching up on Friday so I'll be back then with pics.

PS: Great progress ladies! :)

caramelkisses1107

here we go
the first one is my starting pic the second is my progress

Attachments

• HPIM0346.jpg
    HPIM0346.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM0442.jpg
    HPIM0442.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 26

LivingDol1

it does look shorter. looks shorter in the thread you posted earlier tonight. i am sorry to hear of your set back but it sounds like you have considered what hasn't been working for you! protein overload will cause breakage. i'll go back to your thread.

it will get better!!!

Hi Ladies,

I'm finally back with my update pics. I am so frustrated. I took a picture back in July and I thought I was finally at APL. However, I took an update photo to post in this thread and my hair looks shorter.

I don't know why. I didn't rollerset in the latest pic, I did a caruso set yesterday and just wrapped the hair last night.

I think I'll rollerset again today and take another picture to see if I notice a difference. See below and let me know.

Starting Pic April 19, 09
July 12

Today

caramelkisses1107

Not sure but I think it may just be the picture cause when I part it in section each is fairly even . My hair has been layered since 94 and has not been touched by scissors in over a year so maybe that is part of it. I am not concerned however because even when it has been straightened I tend to wear it curly or in a protective style so any uneveness is not that noticeable .

back2relaxed

I am loving this challenge. It has really shown me how easy it is to live without direct heat, no matter how far past relaxer I am! My hair has really grown as well...you can compare in my fotki(back2relaxed)...I was very surprised. I got my touch up on Aug 1st, and used one of my heat passes. I won't be using heat again until mid July. I am going to try to limit it to once every 6-8 wks. I set it this time on large rollers and was able to wrap it overnite after taking the rollers out. It looks and feels just like I flat ironed it, just with more body. I love it! Thanks ladies...:grin:

SelfStyled

Hey Rollersetters:grin:,

Living Doll was nice enough to allow a late comer:look:. I have had to change my regimen from air drying in a ponytail, because my ends were revolting.

I have been rollersetting 2x a week for a month now, and my ends feel much better.

Here is my regimen:

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair?
I roller set twice a week. I have to wash twice a week because I work out.

2) What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc?
I use the Mohawk, and set the sides down.

3) What type/size rollers will you be using?

I use the red hard mesh rollers

4) What products will you be using for your set?
I use Sunsilk Captivating Curls-it is a creamy leave in
I then spray some Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray
I finish up with Fantasia Frizz Free Serum

5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand?
I airdry under a soft bonnet ionic dryer

6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends?
Protective styles include up do’s, half wigs, buns and phony ponies
I am very happy to be a part of the challenge, and I hope that I will be able to retain more length than I have in the past

This is my starting length.....

I am rollersetting right now:yep:- I just ordered some Dominican Products from Beauty of New York, hopefully I get them before my next wash on Sat

ETA: When I rollerset I dab a little aloe vera gel on my edges, and tie my scarf around my head so that my edges dry nice and smooth. I also FI the roots if they need it.

BeautifulFlower

A quick update. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. My photographer aka husband is not cooperative today :grin: I blowdry my hair but unfortunately I am too lazy to flatiron it so my ends look :spinning:with the humidity and shrinkage of my new growth ... but they are fine in reality, I just got a trim 3 weeks ago. Well, hopefully my pic will show up... take care ladies

Your hair is beautiful.