The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

LivingDol1

i set my hair last night on grey and blue rollers. had a ton of shedding due to air drying earlier on tuesday and probably not detangling properly. i also used this protein pack by giovanni direct... which i will -never- use again! it made my hair feel sort of rough, no matter what i did to it after (DCing did not help). after setting and wrapping, my hair feels much better. i am going to have to set 2x a week though instead of air dry 1x and roller set 1x.

fall is upon us.... *yikes*

so, are there no more updates to add? where is everyone?

SelfStyled

i set my hair last night on grey and blue rollers. had a ton of shedding due to air drying earlier on tuesday and probably not detangling properly. i also used this protein pack by giovanni direct... which i will -never- use again! it made my hair feel sort of rough, no matter what i did to it after (DCing did not help). after setting and wrapping, my hair feels much better. i am going to have to set 2x a week though instead of air dry 1x and roller set 1x.

fall is upon us.... *yikes*

so, are there no more updates to add? where is everyone?

Sorry to hear about your shedding LD- that stinks. I think your better off setting 2x a week if air drying is making your hair shed excessively. I so admire people that can airdry-but I am not one of them. I just cut my hair because my ends were very beat up from airdrying. It was only until I started rollersetting that I realized how much my ends suffered.

ceebee3

I'll be setting my hair today using Pantene's split end moistuizer, Pantene silkening creme, a dab of Paul Mitchell the conditioner and some Chi Silk infusion. Oh yeah and I'll use a dab of Pantene's humidity blocker to see how it works.

It's 90 degrees today so I want to see how long my set will last.

I'll keep you posted.

Ok, the pantene humidity blocker lasted for about an hour before my hair reached for the sky. I won't be using it again.

Last edited:

back2relaxed

I will be setting my hair either tonite or tomorrow. I haven't decided whether to set it again for a straight look, or if I just want to roll it up really tight so I don't have to mess w/it all week!

LushLox

Start pic April 09

Pic taken last Friday

Unfortunately I didn't comb out the curls so it's like comparing apples and oranges. I'll take another pic next week with straightened hair.

Sorry for the blurry pic.

Luscious850

Hey ladies

quick update, my sister cut my hair today :(
so I guess thats all my progress down the drain but I still have the rest of the challenge to make it up. Its not too bad.

pookaloo83

Do you girls know of any good videos of someone roller setting? I need to know where to place the clips. I have been using snap on rollers. :look: I want to upgrade. :lol:

BeautifulFlower

Update!

I will post straigthen hair pics later. I havent straigthen'd yet because I have an event this weekend and I am waiting to do my hair fresh for it. I will be leaving for vacation so you guys will get straight hair when I get back.

I am not sure if this is tippy top MBL or MBL or neither. Most my bone relax ends are gone so that exciting. I am closer to WSL I can taste it. :lick:

I rollerset for the first couple months then I wore weaves the last 7 weeks. I did a 1' to 2' trim in some places during my stretch.

I am loving my textured hair. I will never bone relax again. I gives my hair great volume and body when I wear it straight because its already thick.

Attachments

• STP84810.jpg
    STP84810.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 12
  • STP84814.jpg
    STP84814.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 17
  • STP84812.jpg
    STP84812.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 14

SelfStyled

Do you girls know of any good videos of someone roller setting? I need to know where to place the clips. I have been using snap on rollers. :look: I want to upgrade. :lol:

Search for "Lorraine" on YT- she has a nice video.

Prettyface ANB your hair looks fantastic:yep:

Can anyone help me PLEASE. Every time I rollerset I get lots and lots of shedding and breakage.

After washing I comb with a shower comb, add a creamy leave in and the serum. I only use the rat tail comb for making parts.

I use red mesh rollers with pins, I make sure they don't pull too tight.

I sit under the dryer for 35 minuts, take rollers out, put some coconut oil in and finger comb.

At this point there is more hair, the next day it is usually the worse and then it levels off until the next wash.

I would love to stay in the challenge, but at this rate I may not have any hair left to rollerser:look:.

LivingDol1

Can anyone help me PLEASE. Every time I rollerset I get lots and lots of shedding and breakage.

After washing I comb with a shower comb, add a creamy leave in and the serum. I only use the rat tail comb for making parts.

I use red mesh rollers with pins, I make sure they don't pull too tight.

I sit under the dryer for 35 minuts, take rollers out, put some coconut oil in and finger comb.

At this point there is more hair, the next day it is usually the worse and then it levels off until the next wash.

I would love to stay in the challenge, but at this rate I may not have any hair left to rollerser:look:.

you can get away with sitting under the dryer for 35 minutes??!! I am jelly. it is totally dry?!

I dunno what to recommend. I avoid putting too much coconut oil in my hair bc it gets too greasy fast. do you detangle your hair on a regular basis? is it shed hair or broken hairs?

SelfStyled

I think it is the ionic dryer and the mesh rollers- but yeah, dry in 35 minutes. I wash 2x a week and detangle fully on wash days. It is a combo of breakage and shedding. I am stumped. I forgot to mention that I make sure that I stay on top of protein when needed too.

LivingDol1

I think it is the ionic dryer and the mesh rollers- but yeah, dry in 35 minutes. I wash 2x a week and detangle fully on wash days. It is a combo of breakage and shedding. I am stumped. I forgot to mention that I make sure that I stay on top of protein when needed too.

how often do you use protein? i know it can cause breakage for some... that's all i can think of... roller setting isn't for all though. do you use seamless combs when you comb or detangle?

LivingDol1

under the dryer again... 15 more minutes.... !!!!

i have to say, my shedding has reduced. well, at least when i go from set to set. if i air dry, i lose a lot of shed hair. but i've had very little shedding compared to the start of the challenge. i would have to attribute this to:

using porosity control...
...which allows me to detangle in the shower

oh and my new shower comb. i use wide tooth seamless combes but my Goody shower comb really makes a difference. must be the shape of the teeth.

cutting out most products that use cones. my hair feels more moisturized and less dry. also, with less product, less build up. less friction on my hair causing tangles and stuff.

hope everyone else is seeing progress besides just length!

LushLox

^^^ Good growth. :)

Ladies, a question about your rollerset technique. Do you rollerset downwards or upwards (towards the ceiling). I usually rollerset downwards, but it occurred to me if a rollerset upwards I'll be able to get better tension, ergo flatter roots... hmmm :scratchch

LivingDol1

^^^ Good growth. :)

Ladies, a question about your rollerset technique. Do you rollerset downwards or upwards (towards the ceiling). I usually rollerset downwards, but it occurred to me if a rollerset upwards I'll be able to get better tension, ergo flatter roots... hmmm :scratchch

i roll downward.

LivingDol1

50 minutes to set my hair today! woo and hoo! it takes me an hour + usually.

i'm sort of looking forward to fall now, ladies! it makes it easier for me to wear the roller set out instead of feeling like i need to put my hair up all the time to avoid the frizzies. i wanna wear my hair down once a week!

ceebee3

Hey all,

I am so excited right now. I deep conditioned last night and added all my leave ins and was ready to set my hair.

I could not find my slide in pins, I still have no idea where I put them. I noticed that I had a few of the double prongs that didn't slide in but it wasn't enough to set my hair using my usual Mohawk method.

So, I decided to just be creative and let the rollers get in where they fit in. I just took some hair combed it and put the rollers in. It wasn't neat but the rollers were nice and tight.

This took me all of 15 minutes! I could not belive it, I set my whole head in 15 minutes. I didn't use many rollers so I had a lot of hair on each one.

I sat under the dryer for an hour but some of my hair was still damp becaused I left a lot of hair on each roller. I just took them out and wrapped my hair and let it dry over night.

The results are perfect just like my regular sets. I don't know if I'll take the time to do a mohawk style set again. :grin::grin::grin:

pookaloo83

Hey all,

I am so excited right now. I deep conditioned last night and added all my leave ins and was ready to set my hair.

I could not find my slide in pins, I still have no idea where I put them. I noticed that I had a few of the double prongs that didn't slide in but it wasn't enough to set my hair using my usual Mohawk method.

So, I decided to just be creative and let the rollers get in where they fit in. I just took some hair combed it and put the rollers in. It wasn't neat but the rollers were nice and tight.

This took me all of 15 minutes! I could not belive it, I set my whole head in 15 minutes. I didn't use many rollers so I had a lot of hair on each one.

I sat under the dryer for an hour but some of my hair was still damp becaused I left a lot of hair on each roller. I just took them out and wrapped my hair and let it dry over night.

The results are perfect just like my regular sets. I don't know if I'll take the time to do a mohawk style set again. :grin::grin::grin:

What size rollers do you use?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My flat twists have helped me retain growth. I will continue to do it! I will learn how to rollerset so I can practice on my transitioning hair. I've seen some gorgeous roller sets on natural hair and it makes me so jealous.:grin:

LushLox

I just finished a gorgeous set. I used some Lacio Lacio and Argan oil and that combo has given me a very silky finish. I've just put my hair in pin curls, hopefully it will still look nice in the morning! I really took my time today as opposed to rushing like I normally do before I go to work, and the difference in the result is very noticeable. I'll just have to start doing my hair in the evenings again, which is just as well, because I can't see myself getting up early to do my hair with the change in season coming.

jazzyto

Hi ladies I'm going to start trying the rollersetting thing but Im in the market for a new dryer. I have a very old hood dryer and I figure if I upgrade my sets may come out smoother/sleeker and less drying time. What dryers are you ladies using? Does anyone have the ionic dryer from Sally's?

ceebee3

I set my hair again today after clarifying and using motions CPR for protein.

I deep conditioned with ORS replenishing for the first time and I love it. I will definetly use again.

I used Paul Mitchell leave in, pantene leave in and some olive oil serum.

The results were great and my hair feels so good.

I will braid on Sunday night and keep that as my protective style for the week.