The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

LivingDol1

Still protective styling. At 4 months post...rollersetting is NOT an option!!! :lachen:

hahaha, i hear you on that! this weekend and 2 weeks ago, i let my hair dresser do my roller set. i'm losing patience with the NG... but at least it's there! i'm almost 10 weeks post... 2 more weeks to go before my touch up! i waited 4 months before and i don't really know how i did it...

LivingDol1

I just finished a gorgeous set. I used some Lacio Lacio and Argan oil and that combo has given me a very silky finish. I've just put my hair in pin curls, hopefully it will still look nice in the morning! I really took my time today as opposed to rushing like I normally do before I go to work, and the difference in the result is very noticeable. I'll just have to start doing my hair in the evenings again, which is just as well, because I can't see myself getting up early to do my hair with the change in season coming.

what's argan oil??

glad to hear you're happy with your sets. :)

ceebee3

Yesterday I did a hot oil treatment with olive oil then I washed and deep conditioned with ORS replenishing. This is the 2nd time I've used it and it's a keeper.

I set my hair using Paul Mitchell the conditioner and Pantene split end moisturizer with PM Skinny Serum.

My set came out great but I unwrapped this morning and it's just so fluffy, definetly not sleek. I'm not sure why that is but I don't want to flat iron so I will be protective styling for the remainder of the week.

I'm getting tired of looking at my hair so I won't be relaxing until next July, and I wont be setting again after this challenge is over until January.

caramelkisses1107

Still protective styling. At 4 months post...rollersetting is NOT an option!!! :lachen:
I hear you is has been hotter than a fat ladies thighs in pantyhose around here lately . so I have given up. I do when I wake up my head is soaking wet so I am currently rockin some cornrows and much to my surprise they are being well recieved, and most importantly my scalp is nice and cool.Still no heat and growing like crazy.

LivingDol1

I've been air drying.... sooooo not good. it just means more shed hairs for me. I'm tempted to blow dry my hair this weekend... which would mean using a heat pass.... hmm

I just need straight hair fast! and then the next time I wash, it'll be easier to set. if I wash and air dry twice in a row, it gets harder to detangle...

ceebee3

I set my hair today after washing with Aphogee poo for damaged hair and conditioning with ORS replenishing.

I noticed a lot of broken hair today and a lot of hair in the shower. I haven't done a hard core protein treatment since my setback almost 8 weeks ago, so I think I'll do the Aphogee 2 step next week.

I used Paul Mitchell The Conditioner and Super Skinny Serum, I also added some Aphogee green tea and keratin spray with some Pantene creme.

The curls looked great, I don't know how to keep the curls so I just wrapped for 5 minutes and wore it straight.

I think I'll be putting it in a donut bun tomorrow, I don't feel like braiding.

Can't wait until November, I just want to wash and put in a bun, no more sets for a while.

ceebee3

I'm under the dryer now. I clarified with suave and I did the Aphogee 2 step, quick rinse with my BJ's matrix knockoff, deep condition with motions moisture plus and olive oil.

I set my hair with Paul Mitchell The Conditioner (I'm really beginning to love this stuff), Aphogee keratin spray, and Chi silk infusion.

I'll pincurl when I'm done. I've been putting my hair into a kind of southern tease bun.

Buttercreme

I'm under the dryer now. I clarified with suave and I did the Aphogee 2 step, quick rinse with my BJ's matrix knockoff, deep condition with motions moisture plus and olive oil.

I set my hair with Paul Mitchell The Conditioner (I'm really beginning to love this stuff), Aphogee keratin spray, and Chi silk infusion.

I'll pincurl when I'm done. I've been putting my hair into a kind of southern tease bun.

These are the exact same three things I use to finish my hair!

Are we hair twins?:spinning:

LivingDol1

wow! this challenge is over in less than 15 days!

who's still here? i've noticed that oh, i dunno, 90% of the members have dropped off!

anyway, if you're still in it, please post final reveal pics. and anything you've learned while roller setting, or if you hate it, swear by it, etc etc....

i just got my touch up on thursday and a trim... about an inch (last time he chopped 2 inches off....) my hair stylist said that my hair is looking much healthier. i have no idea how i managed to wait 14 weeks between relaxers. this time i only waited 8 weeks... but i had a ton of NG....

i'm going to wash my hair sometime this week and set it, then post pics. we can post in this thread. no biggie.

roller setting in the summer is not easy! i think that i'm going to do it religiously through the fall and winter (no air drying) and then come summer, i will put my hair in braids... but not as long or as thick as i did in the past.

Taleah2009

I actually just bought this dryer the other. I did my first set on it today. When i took my curls out, they were nice and shiny. Only thing is I didnt feel like I had enough heat in the back. On of my rolls a little damp.

Hi ladies I'm going to start trying the rollersetting thing but Im in the market for a new dryer. I have a very old hood dryer and I figure if I upgrade my sets may come out smoother/sleeker and less drying time. What dryers are you ladies using? Does anyone have the ionic dryer from Sally's?

Ms_Twana

I'm still here...protective styliing...not rollersetting!!! :lachen: I can't post reveal pictures with you ladies though because I'm doing the HYH challenge. We do the big reveal on Dec. 16th.

These are the exact same three things I use to finish my hair!

Are we hair twins?:spinning:

I love your siggy. My DH watches LT with me too. He'd never admit it in front of folks though. :lachen:

ceebee3

I'm still here! I'm still setting regularly. My protective styles haven't really been too protective but I'm not wearing my hair out.

I have conditioner in my hair now and I'll rinse that out when I stop being lazy and I'll set my hair.

I'll post pics but I don't really want to use heat but I don't think I'll be able to see any progress if I don't.

Next Day:

I finally rinsed the conditioner out of my hair. This time I used Mizani setting lotion with a bit of the Paul Mitchell leave in and some garnier serum.

I sprayed entirely too much of the setting lotion on my hair and it was so hard and difficult to comb through. I don't use it often but if I use it again, I will never use that much.

I wrapped my hair after setting and will probably wear it down tomorrow and protective style towards the end of the week.

Last edited:

ceebee3

Ok, so I set my hair on Thursday because I wanted time for the poofiness to go away by Friday night.

I used Aphogee leave in, keratin spray and Paul Mitchell the Conditioner with some chil silk. I wanted to up the protein because I knew I might have to flat iron on Friday.

I attempted to flat iron my own hair, it came out okay. I will post pics when I upload later.

chocolatina

Hi all! Can't wait to see how the challenge turns out.
I have some info I wanted to share with as many members as possible since I know so many have been looking for this dryer.
For anyone that is interested in the recently discontinued and very sought after Belson/Gold N' Hot soft bonnet dryer GH2138 pictured here http://www.amazon.com/Belson-Ionic-Bonnet-Dryer-Gh2138/dp/images/B0012DOK9Q, I have a close friend that sells products online that was able to find a some.
He's got limitied quanities so PM me and I'll get you the information. Thanks!

Ms_Twana

Hi all! Can't wait to see how the challenge turns out.
I have some info I wanted to share with as many members as possible since I know so many have been looking for this dryer.
For anyone that is interested in the recently discontinued and very sought after Belson/Gold N' Hot soft bonnet dryer GH2138 pictured here http://www.amazon.com/Belson-Ionic-Bonnet-Dryer-Gh2138/dp/images/B0012DOK9Q, I have a close friend that sells products online that was able to find a some.
He's got limitied quanities so PM me and I'll get you the information. Thanks!

MAAAANNNN!!!!!! I did want that one, and I could not for the life of me find out what dryer that was. I bought a Mastex instead. :ohwell:

ceebee3

Well the challenge is over and I’m glad I joined. I have officially perfected my rollersetting skills and I’ve learned a lot about my hair. Thanks to everyone for all of your tips and helpful advice.

I did my first self flat iron last week and I will post those pics because I’m not using heat until next year again.

This first pic is my starting pic from April?

Here is my 6 month progress pic from July

Below is the August update shot and pic of my setback hair-I think I lost 2 inches (or more)

Finally the final challenge progress pic, as you can see in the pic below I lost all of my progress from July and I’m still not back to where I was in July but I’ve improved since losing some length in August. I was really bothered but time will improve everything and I know how to treat my hair now.

That’s if for me ladies.

Thanks again.