The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

brickhouse

Hey everybody. I was thinking about giving up on the challenge because it was taken too long to rollerset my hair. It was taking me about 30-45 mins and then I have to be under the dryer for about an hr. I have a Pibbs :grin:. I studied a bunch of tutorial on Youtube and I decided to try a test run on my dry hair and it took me about 15-20 mins to rollerset my hair and I am bsl. I will be doing my official rollersets every Sat.

LivingDol1

Hey everybody. I was thinking about giving up on the challenge because it was taken too long to rollerset my hair. It was taking me about 30-45 mins and then I have to be under the dryer for about an hr. I have a Pibbs :grin:. I studied a bunch of tutorial on Youtube and I decided to try a test run on my dry hair and it took me about 15-20 mins to rollerset my hair and I am bsl. I will be doing my official rollersets every Sat.

wow, only 15-20 minutes? i wish i could roll my hair that fast. :) when wet, it takes me between 45-90 minutes. lol. i'm going to have to do a you tube search for tutorials... hmm...

so does this mean you are still in?

saturdays are smart. it's hard to do a roller set on a week night after work.

longhairdreamzz

Very Pretty!!! Looks healthy and it has body.

Here are my pics

ceebee3

Here are my starting pics, this is after 11 weeks of starting to care for my hair.

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair?

I will rollerset every week on Saturday or Sunday

2) What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc?
I will be using the Mohawk/anchor method

3) What type/size rollers will you be using?
I will use the grey hard plastic rollers with the double prong slide in clips. I think the rollers are 2" (If anyone can tell me where to find the plastic version of the slide in clips I will be eternally grateful)

4) What products will you be using for your set?

I am currently using lacio lacio as a leave in and chi silk infusion as a serum, a little aphogee oil on the ends.

5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand?

I will sit under my old hot tools professional dryer for an hour.

6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends?

I will be bunning and using some fake hair to do some thicker braids/buns. I'm still looking into other protective styles.

kblc06

Can I be added to the list: This is pretty much what I'm doing now (except for the fact that I sometimes PS before I rollerset my ends)

I will be rollersetting 1x a week/and alternate with a PS

I'm using the mohawk method

Magnetic roller (1 3/4 and 2'' purple and grey)

I have found the the perfect mix:
- A half dollar amt of Lacio Lacio per section
- Saturate the hair with a few dollops of Cantu Shea butter leave-in per section
- A dime sized drop of Chi Silk Infusion
- Diluted lottabody (until clear purplish color) using the concentrated formula to keep the hair moist.

5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand?
Professional salon dryer from www.salonsrus.com. Almost identical to the Pibbs

Buns, french twists, various creative updos

brickhouse

wow, only 15-20 minutes? i wish i could roll my hair that fast. :) when wet, it takes me between 45-90 minutes. lol. i'm going to have to do a you tube search for tutorials... hmm...

so does this mean you are still in?

saturdays are smart. it's hard to do a roller set on a week night after work.

Of course.

LivingDol1

you're on the list. welcome to the challenge. :)

Can I be added to the list: This is pretty much what I'm doing now (except for the fact that I sometimes PS before I rollerset my ends)

I will be rollersetting 1x a week/and alternate with a PS

I'm using the mohawk method

Magnetic roller (1 3/4 and 2'' purple and grey)

I have found the the perfect mix:
- A half dollar amt of Lacio Lacio per section
- Saturate the hair with a few dollops of Cantu Shea butter leave-in per section
- A dime sized drop of Chi Silk Infusion
- Diluted lottabody (until clear purplish color) using the concentrated formula to keep the hair moist.

Professional salon dryer from www.salonsrus.com. Almost identical to the Pibbs

Buns, french twists, various creative updos

LivingDol1

]okay, fotki hates me. so i'm going to post pics from my last roller set on 4/21 as attachments instead of directly into the post... i'll proly do another roller set tonight or tomorrow depending on my plans. just bought some chi silk infusion and am excited to add that to my reggie, since people seem to love that product.

Attachments

• rollerset_421-vi.jpg
    rollerset_421-vi.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 43
  • set_out421-vi.jpg
    set_out421-vi.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 39
  • loose_curls_421-vi.jpg
    loose_curls_421-vi.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
]okay, fotki hates me. so i'm going to post pics from my last roller set on 4/21 as attachments instead of directly into the post... i'll proly do another roller set tonight or tomorrow depending on my plans. just bought some chi silk infusion and am excited to add that to my reggie, since people seem to love that product.
Your hair came out great!!!! How do you get your rollers so neat looking and straight? They're all perfectly aligned, I wish I could get mine so dang even! :lol:

LivingDol1

Your hair came out great!!!! How do you get your rollers so neat looking and straight? They're all perfectly aligned, I wish I could get mine so dang even! :lol:

lol. thanks. :) haha, that's why it takes me so long to set my rollers i guess! i'm a tad anal retentive. the lines must be perfectly straight every single time! i use my rattail comb to divide the sections.

kblc06

You set look as if it was done by a professional! :yep:

LivingDol1

currently DCing with ORS Replenishing Pak mixed with a bit of Coconut Oil (smells yummy :lick:) after washing my hair with their Aloe Shampoo. I love that stuff.

I think I will set my hair on a combo of the blue, a grey here and there, and the big red ones. I'm going out tomorrow night and i'm not sure if I'm going to wear my hair up or down. Starting to really like my messy Southern Tease Bun, and plus if it gets humid, I won't want to deal with frizz. I'm going to a rooftop bar tomorrow night. :)

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
See,that's why yours looks so good! I just hurridly and lazily part mine with my fingers! :lachen:

brickhouse

Awesome rollerset lady.

brickhouse

I will be rollersetting this weekend. I will try to post pics. I live alone and I have not yet master the tech of taking my pic in front of a mirror.

LivingDol1

I think they are 2.5 inches. I don't have a tape measure on me but i know the grey ones are 2 inches. these rollers are not the Diane brand. I bought them at my local BSS chain and it's their brand. I guess the equivalent would be the Diane magnetic black rollers.

LivingDol1, what size are those blue rollers?

brickhouse

I just finish my rollerset. It took a lot longer on wet hair. My arms were tired but I am not going to give up. I wanted to be a pro darn it.

LushLox

I was going to DC and roller set tonight but it's not going to happen; I feel too tired. Which means I'm going to have to get up at the crack of dawn to do it before work! :eek: An early night beckons!

LivingDol1

do any of you wrap your hair after the roller set? i wrapped it this last time 2 nights ago and when i took it down yesterday, some of my ends were a bit tangled. not badly or anything drastic but i feel like it should have been easier to take my hair down. wondering if that's a sign of my ends not being healthy, or not moisturized enough or maybe not drying my hair completely when i'm in rollers under the dryer.

i didn't really notice this when i put my hair in pin curls after my set last week.

just curious!

ceebee3

do any of you wrap your hair after the roller set? i wrapped it this last time 2 nights ago and when i took it down yesterday, some of my ends were a bit tangled. not badly or anything drastic but i feel like it should have been easier to take my hair down. wondering if that's a sign of my ends not being healthy, or not moisturized enough or maybe not drying my hair completely when i'm in rollers under the dryer.

i didn't really notice this when i put my hair in pin curls after my set last week.

just curious!

I wrap all the time and the ends are only like that if the hair didn't dry enough. Some moisturizer usually takes care of it.

brickhouse

I am bummed. My rollerset came out horrible. I made a lot of mistakes. First I started too late and then I rushed through rolling and did not let my hair dry completely and then I was rough when taking the pins out and had a lot of broken hair. Next Sat I am gong to make sure I start earlier and take my time and not rush. I am also going to start back using my Mizani Rollerwrap.

LivingDol1

I am bummed. My rollerset came out horrible. I made a lot of mistakes. First I started too late and then I rushed through rolling and did not let my hair dry completely and then I was rough when taking the pins out and had a lot of broken hair. Next Sat I am gong to make sure I start earlier and take my time and not rush. I am also going to start back using my Mizani Rollerwrap.

oh no! :sad: you know, sometimes if my hair is still damp, i wind up taking out my rollers, pinning my hair as though they were still in rollers(with bobby pins. not clips), and then sit under the dryer for an extra 20-30 minutes. that usually gets my hair dry.

good luck!