The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

My rollersetting results from last night using my new Hot Tools stand up dryer is in my siggy...my hair was especially softer than usually...

Cburney: The dryer is a little bigger than I would like. I dont know here I am going to store it and I have house. I'll probably keep it in the guest bedroom or something. But the results of your hair and the drying time is great. No $300 Pibbs for me.

Last edited:
hola chicas,

so i did my wash n roller set yesterday since i was going out that night. weather was muggy and i was determined to rock a cute protective 'do. i set my hair on grey and purple rollers for more curl. i decided i'd try the style from this youtube video below i pulled off of the mane & chic website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRY3511o6Zk

i worked with the roller set curls i already had (no direct heat involved!), pinned the bump at the top and then gathered the rest of my hair into a messy bun. i kept all of my ends pinned under so they weren't exposed. a few escaped during the night but no biggie. i took pics at the end of the night. my bun wilted a tad. please see the attachments.

Attachments

• messybun_back.jpg
    messybun_back.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 30
  • messybun_side.jpg
    messybun_side.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 28
  • messybun_detail.jpg
    messybun_detail.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 28
My rollersetting results from last night using my new Hot Tools stand up dryer is in my siggy...my hair was especially softer than usually...

Cburney: The dryer is a little bigger than I would like. I dont know here I am going to store it and I have house. I'll probably keep it in the guest bedroom or something. But the results of your hair and the drying time is great. No $300 Pibbs for me.

nice results from the set!

where did you get the flower? i need to get myself for hair accessories or make them myself...

Thanks, I think I'll end up with this one.

LD, your bun looks great. I just learned how to do the southern tease! I'm trying to get someone to take a pic for me.

Thanks Tiffers, I searched long and hard and I can't come up with anything. I'll just be careful with the ones I have.

You ladies are making me want to buy that hot tools dryer. My apartment is too small for that type of dryer, so I'll have to wait until I move. I rollerset yesterday and I'll update this post with pics later.

Thanks to all for all your advice and encouragement.

girl... i understand the space issue. i live in a studio apartment. i have a walk in closet so i might be able to jam it in there when i'm not using it but considering the handbag situation in there, it might not happen. and since i set twice a week, why bother putting it away...? my dryer is rolling around my apartment like it's some kind of avant-garde art piece.... :lachen:

Very pretty! It looks soooo soft and I :love: the flower!!!!!

hola chicas,
so i did my wash n roller set yesterday since i was going out that night. weather was muggy and i was determined to rock a cute protective 'do. i set my hair on grey and purple rollers for more curl. i decided i'd try the style from this youtube video below i pulled off of the mane & chic website:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRY3511o6Zk
i worked with the roller set curls i already had (no direct heat involved!), pinned the bump at the top and then gathered the rest of my hair into a messy bun. i kept all of my ends pinned under so they weren't exposed. a few escaped during the night but no biggie. i took pics at the end of the night. my bun wilted a tad. please see the attachments.

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love it!

I relaxed yesterday and rollerset with Fermodyl 619 and Beauty W/O Cruelty leave in. Also used Silicon Mix Serum. My hair looked fab, if I must say so myself. Dh kept complimenting how good it looked :D

I took some pics on my cell phone, but they're dark and they suck :ohwell: I wrapped and whole head baggied last night and this morning I woke up to damp hair :sad: So I'm still waiting for my hair to dry before I comb it down. I'll have dh take pics later. Hopefully it still looks good :perplexed

I relaxed yesterday and rollerset with Fermodyl 619 and Beauty W/O Cruelty leave in. Also used Silicon Mix Serum. My hair looked fab, if I must say so myself. Dh kept complimenting how good it looked :D

I took some pics on my cell phone, but they're dark and they suck :ohwell: I wrapped and whole head baggied last night and this morning I woke up to damp hair :sad: So I'm still waiting for my hair to dry before I comb it down. I'll have dh take pics later. Hopefully it still looks good :perplexed

too bad about the dampness. but i'm sure you're hair looked fantabulous. :D looking fwd to seeing pics.

tiffers, do you relax your hair yourself?

too bad about the dampness. but i'm sure you're hair looked fantabulous. :D looking fwd to seeing pics.
tiffers, do you relax your hair yourself?
Yep, I'm a total DIY'er. I don't trust the enemy (stylists) :sekret:

Does anyone use rollers like these? I need larger mesh rollers but can only find this type and worry that they would pull out strands of hair.

Di%205023%20pkg.jpg

Hey ladies
I remembered something this morning from my old life :rolleyes:. I had an instructor in cosmo school tell me once if I ever ran out of setting lotion to use warm preferably flat beer:beer5:. The yeast in the beer gives great hold and shine esp if hair is fine and great volume & body for limp hair she said .

This came back to me this morning as I was thinking I need to go to BSS today before they close to get setting lotion . I think I am going try this in my next set. Have any of you tried it? :feedback:

Okay, well my hair is a HAM today. Whole head baggying is NOT a good idea if you wanna wear your hair straight :ohwell:
This is a sucky pic from last night, I just wrapped it for a few mins and combed it down. There are still a few bumps where the curls didn't completely straighten. It looked soooo much better in person, but what are you gonna do? :perplexed
363256579.jpg

Last edited:
Hey ladies
I remembered something this morning from my old life :rolleyes:. I had an instructor in cosmo school tell me once if I ever ran out of setting lotion to use warm preferably flat beer:beer5:. The yeast in the beer gives great hold and shine esp if hair is fine and great volume & body for limp hair she said .

This came back to me this morning as I was thinking I need to go to BSS today before they close to get setting lotion . I think I am going try this in my next set. Have any of you tried it? :feedback:
I'd try it, but I don't wanna smell like stinky beer :ohwell:

From reading 2 billion mesh roller threads ( :giggle: ) I found out that Diane mesh rollers are very flemsy and low quality. So I purchased the Annie brand from here:http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/anwimeroju.html

yhst-2519492840586_2048_1129267311
Thanks, tiffers, but I'm looking for 2"-3" rollers. That's good info about the Diane brand though. I'll know to steer clear.

ETA: Of course the picture I posted was 1 1/2" rollers - sorry to be misleading. :spinning:

Last edited:
Hey ladies

never tried it. will your hair smell like beer though once it's dry? am curious to see your results though. definitely post if you do!

Here's some pics of this week's rollerset (sorry for the dirty mirror- my rollersetting mix got all over my mirror):
004.jpg

Question: Would doing cornrows after a set me considering a protective style. It's getting hot and I miss my summer cornrows :sad:

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
looking good. :)

i would think cornrows is a protective style. as long as your ends are protected/hidden. see how it works for you with the roller setting.

Here's some pics of this week's rollerset (sorry for the dirty mirror- my rollersetting mix got all over my mirror):
View attachment 33189

Question: Would doing cornrows after a set me considering a protective style. It's getting hot and I miss my summer cornrows :sad:

Thanks, tiffers, but I'm looking for 2"-3" rollers. That's good info about the Diane brand though. I'll know to steer clear.

ETA: Of course the picture I posted was 1 1/2" rollers - sorry to be misleading. :spinning:

where are u located cause i found 3 inch mesh at a bss in my hometown today

I'm going to do my roller set tomorrow. I need to clarify so I'll do that and use my new Origins conditioner. I need to stop buying stuff! :nono:

I'm having an issue... My hair is taking forever to dry. Like seriously 3-4 hours. Its is seriously starting to get me. Does anyone know any tips to fast drying or why my hair take so long to dry??

Back