The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

I was under my dome dryer for a full sixty minutes. My roots were still wet. My ends were crunchy. Lately my rollersts suck! :lachen:I need advice and I'm willing to make it work. I'm washing my hair tonight and you guys I'm thinking about air drying or (que the dangerous music) the blow dryer without the comb attachment. Help!

nooooooooooooooo! don't lose hope yet!!! :badidea:

You guys are you sitting under the dryer for 1 hour and 30 minutes? Maybe that's why my hair isn't setting properly. I may use a little setting lotion and castor oil tonight and see if that does the trick. :yep: I'll try for 90 minutes on lower heat for the last 30 minutes. I don't want to fry my hair with my dome dryer.

for me, i wind up sitting there for 90 minutes. at the salon, i sometimes sit there for 75 minutes. it all depends. you look like you have thick hair so maybe you need to spend extra time under the dryer. and the largest size rollers you can manage...

i don't know about you but setting lotion hasn't worked for me in the past. it made my hair crunchy. it works for some people. i guess you have to go through a few trial and errors to make it work! let us know what you did to your hair tonight!

happy early birthday LivingDol1!!!

hey, prettyfaceANB, that is a very, very nice bun....you have alot of hair.....it's pretty.

so, i did my set yesterday on the big blue and red rollers(alternating red-blue-red-blue). the set came out pretty nice. i made sure to sit under the dryer for 90 min. i'm not sure i'm getting all of my hair dry. even if i take out one roller, and it feels warm, after a few seconds, i feel like the slightest bit of dampness. i might be overreacting. anyway, wrapped it and sat under for another 15 minutes. happy with the results.
i changed up the way i detangle. sometimes i try to detangle in the shower but i feel like i lose more hair. sometimes i detangle before i section my hair and start setting. this time, i sectioned my hair and as i rolled, i detangled. i saw less hair in the sink compared with last time. i would rather pull out dry shed hair strands than comb out wet shed hair...
how about you guys? how do you detangle and how to do avoid losing too much hair?
I've found that detangling in small sections while rollersetting works best for me. Any other way and I lose too much hair

I was under my dome dryer for a full sixty minutes. My roots were still wet. My ends were crunchy. Lately my rollersts suck! :lachen:I need advice and I'm willing to make it work. I'm washing my hair tonight and you guys I'm thinking about air drying or (que the dangerous music) the blow dryer without the comb attachment. Help!
Are you using new products? Maybe your hair doesn't like what you're using. Have you tried Porosity Control? That might help. Fermodyl is good too :yep:

I wanted to post my new protective style between rollersets. It quick and if i let the tail down cute and stylish.
attachment.php
Very pretty! How'd you do it?

You guys are you sitting under the dryer for 1 hour and 30 minutes? Maybe that's why my hair isn't setting properly. I may use a little setting lotion and castor oil tonight and see if that does the trick. :yep: I'll try for 90 minutes on lower heat for the last 30 minutes. I don't want to fry my hair with my dome dryer.
What products do you usually use to rollerset? I sit under the dryer on high heat for an hour :yep: If you're worried about heat damage, you can use a heat proectant. But IMO damage from a dryer is very unlikely. There was a time when I used my dryer to dc every day. I've been rollersetting on high heat 2-3 times a week for several months and have had no ill effects. Macherieamour with her gorgeous hair, has been rollersetting w/o a heat protectant for years :)

I'll post these pictures so you can see it better on the side. I just firm yet loosely braided it diagonal. I pinned the tail up along the braid with two hair pins.
Thank you!

Attachments

• STP83535.jpg
    STP83535.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 16
  • STP83534.jpg
    STP83534.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 13
so simple to do yet it looks sort of intricate! so did you start it like a french braid? thanks for posting more pics.

I'll post these pictures so you can see it better on the side. I just firm yet loosely braided it diagonal. I pinned the tail up along the braid with two hair pins.
Thank you!

so, i did my set yesterday on the big blue and red rollers(alternating red-blue-red-blue). the set came out pretty nice. i made sure to sit under the dryer for 90 min. i'm not sure i'm getting all of my hair dry. even if i take out one roller, and it feels warm, after a few seconds, i feel like the slightest bit of dampness. i might be overreacting. anyway, wrapped it and sat under for another 15 minutes. happy with the results.

i changed up the way i detangle. sometimes i try to detangle in the shower but i feel like i lose more hair. sometimes i detangle before i section my hair and start setting. this time, i sectioned my hair and as i rolled, i detangled. i saw less hair in the sink compared with last time. i would rather pull out dry shed hair strands than comb out wet shed hair...

how about you guys? how do you detangle and how to do avoid losing too much hair?

How do you detangle while rolling? Or do you mean section, detangle, then roll?

I have to stop detangling in the shower. I think I lose too much hair too. I detangle and almost dry hair with a seamless wide tooth comb. If rollersetting, section, wet, detangle gently, and roll. Significantly less hair. But Loveya4eva said it best, the longer your hair gets the bigger the hair ball gets...sigh.

so simple to do yet it looks sort of intricate! so did you start it like a french braid? thanks for posting more pics.

Yup. Just grab some hair and go. I used to hate braiding my hair because I got breakage. Since using Aphogee more:yep:, I dont get the breakage nearly as much. Its almost not breaking at all. Now I can braid and unbraid to moisturize as needed and you hair stays up and neat. :grin:

i section, lightly detangle (sometimes i don't even comb all the way down from the root.), and then roll. i do use a wide tooth comb and then use a finer one just to smooth the hair before i roll it. i might only swipe it through the section one or two times.

yes i read that posting this morning. the longer the hairs, the more it seems.. lol... so i have to definitely remember that. and i have new hair popping up all over the place. so there's definitely growth! lol.

How do you detangle while rolling? Or do you mean section, detangle, then roll?

I have to stop detangling in the shower. I think I lose too much hair too. I detangle and almost dry hair with a seamless wide tooth comb. If rollersetting, section, wet, detangle gently, and roll. Significantly less hair. But Loveya4eva said it best, the longer your hair gets the bigger the hair ball gets...sigh.

i section, lightly detangle (sometimes i don't even comb all the way down from the root.), and then roll. i do use a wide tooth comb and then use a finer one just to smooth the hair before i roll it. i might only swipe it through the section one or two times.

yes i read that posting this morning. the longer the hairs, the more it seems.. lol... so i have to definitely remember that. and i have new hair popping up all over the place. so there's definitely growth! lol.

I used to think I had bad breakage but my ends didnt look any thinner than normal then I have to remind myself hair grows in place of shedded hair...:rolleyes: So hair will technically never be completely one length.

*adds to shopping list*

i've read many threads about this and was never sure about how often to use it. Oh, the PJ in me is just taking over. :)

I used to look over it too. But I'm glad I tried it one day now its a staple. It almost reminds me of the old creme of nature shampoo, how is melts to hair and makes it easier to detangle.

Being natural my curls wrap & tangle around each other almost the instant my hair gets wet .I have found that if I detangle only when hair is soaking wet and slathered with conditioner I have less hair loss and breakage the slip helps tremendously. I will detangle in small sections starting with my widetooth comb and then when that is done I use my denman for anything the wide tooth missed. If I do it any other way it is a very painful, long and tedious process. I will usally part it and clip it at the same time (before rinsing the conditioner) if I need too.

I planned on rollersetting last night, so I washed and dc'd..... Then I got lazy and tired, so I threw my hair in a wet bun and went to sleep :ohwell:

I have to go to a dinner that my dd's school is having tonight, so I washed again, now I'm dc'ing again. Hopefully I'll be able to find all of my flexi rods, so I can do a set :)

Do you guys use a heat protectant when sitting under the dryer? Because I don't, but I'm wondering if I should? :perplexed

Being natural my curls wrap & tangle around each other almost the instant my hair gets wet .I have found that if I detangle only when hair is soaking wet and slathered with conditioner I have less hair loss and breakage the slip helps tremendously. I will detangle in small sections starting with my widetooth comb and then when that is done I use my denman for anything the wide tooth missed. If I do it any other way it is a very painful, long and tedious process. I will usally part it and clip it at the same time (before rinsing the conditioner) if I need too.

yeah, about this supposed level of heavenly slippage... i don't think i ever have it! i've tried a bunch of conditioners and i don't really get "slip". when my hair is soaking wet, the top layer is always frizzy. and tangled. i just don't think it's possible for me. plus, i think the fact that hair is at it's most vulnerable when wet is very true for me. shed central.

I planned on rollersetting last night, so I washed and dc'd..... Then I got lazy and tired, so I threw my hair in a wet bun and went to sleep :ohwell:

I have to go to a dinner that my dd's school is having tonight, so I washed again, now I'm dc'ing again. Hopefully I'll be able to find all of my flexi rods, so I can do a set :)

hahaha, i hope your kids haven't hidden them from you. :grin:

nooooooooooooooo! don't lose hope yet!!! :badidea:

for me, i wind up sitting there for 90 minutes. at the salon, i sometimes sit there for 75 minutes. it all depends. you look like you have thick hair so maybe you need to spend extra time under the dryer. and the largest size rollers you can manage...

i don't know about you but setting lotion hasn't worked for me in the past. it made my hair crunchy. it works for some people. i guess you have to go through a few trial and errors to make it work! let us know what you did to your hair tonight!

I guess I fell off the bandwagon. But I'm back on and the next time I rollerset I will try it without setting lotion, on medium heat for 90 minutes. I appreciate you responding to my post as well as the other ladies. I'm glad I have someone other than DH to talk to about hair. (lol) I always thought the purpose of the rollerset as to get that spiral curl look? But if I use big rollers, my roots won't be as straight and I don't get curls I get bumped ends and that's about it.

Setting lotion does make my hair crunchy even when diluted. I'm just going to have to keep at it guys. Trial and error. That's the only way.

just a birthday rant. I'm at the salon. I tell my stylist I want a DC and ask if he can make sure my hair won't frizz tonight. then he tells me it frizzes because my hair has bad ends! he trimmed 2 inches 6 weeks ago! arrrrgh!

whatever. I'll get my 'do and won't be back til relaxer time. so there! I think he'll set my hair and blow it out.

Ohhh Happy Birthday LD! :)

Sorry to hear about your stylist - was it the same dude that chopped off a load of your hair the last time? :nono:

Just ignore him, you obviously know more than he does about your hair!

Hey ladies,

I rollerset last night. I used Mizani wrap lotion and chi silk infusion. My hair looked great when I took the rollers down. I wrapped and this morning i combed it down, it had great volume but the ends were kind of frizzy.

This never happens to me. I think the culprit is I used a stocking cap before putting my scarf on and I must have not wrapped properly. Oh well, I'll be bunning today.

Below are some pics from my last set and my first donut bun. I didn't realize my nape looks so bad, I will look for tips on how to get that back in shape. Tell me what you think, sorry if the pics aren't too clear. I had my son take them for me. He's my official photographer.

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

DSC01380.jpg

DSC01382.jpg

DSC01412.jpg

Do you guys use a heat protectant when sitting under the dryer? Because I don't, but I'm wondering if I should? :perplexed
Nope, I don't. I have CHI SI, but hardly use it cause the smell annoys me. Just regular ol serum for me :yep:

I forgot to check in the other day after rollersetting. I had the softest, smoothest, lightest, swangin-ist rollerset ever!!!! I had to put my hair back in a ponytail because the HIH disease was out of control! Here it is few days later and my hair is feeling so wonderfully soft

I think it was a combination of Porosity Control, Fermodyl and Oyin Juices & Berries. Man oh man, my hair just felt :lick:

Back